Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I made some more emblems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
RJMII
I'm really starting to get the hang of this little cnc setup I've got.

...edit:

I've been getting a lot of suggestions in my threads for emblems. I'm not sure if some of them are suggestions or actual requests. Thank you for all of the suggestions. smile.gif

This thread was intended to share what I've milled for scripts and share ideas for drawings, etc.

If you'd like an emblem, there are a couple of different ways to let me know you are serious; first and obvious one; send a paypal payment with what you'd like, and I will send you a drawing for your approvale (esoteric(at) bresnan.net). Send a PM to me with your request, an agreement to pay when completed, and then I will send drawings to you for approval.

I have a garage now. smile.gif
The milling stuff is helping fund my therapy 914 project.

The process of milling:
First, I draw the emblem in my CAD software, this takes me 15 minutes to 4 hours, depending on how many changes are necessary and how much it varies from one that has been done previously.
Next I take it to the mill.
I mill the outer parameter of each digit, between each digit, the insides of each digit. This takes between 25 minutes to an hour to make sure the sides are smooth and that the depths are correct.
When the emblem comes off of the mill, I take the burrs of with a small file set. I then sand the face and back of the mill with 600 grit sand paper that is on a flat surface. This takes the glaze off of the aluminum. Sanding usually takes about 5 minutes.
Next is the polishing. The polishing wheel gets the rouge/polishing compound applied, and the emblem is held onto a paint stick to keep it from bending. The polishing process takes between 5 and 20 minutes, depending on how large the emblem is.
The emblem gets checked over at each stage by either me or my wife, or both of us, and we criticize it. As we've learned what to look for from feedback from the first ones that went out, we know more what to look for and the adjustments that have been required to improve the emblems.

I think I'm ready to start a thread in the 'member vendors' section with all of the above info now; thank you to everyone who has purchased and contributed to my learning process and improvement of the emblems.
PeeGreen 914
aktion035.gif piratenanner.gif
MDG
Nice job!
PanelBilly
Are you going to do a 914-R to the kids? Seems anything with a R is faster
BKLA
Jim sent be this image...
I hope he doesn't mind me posting it.

Click to view attachment

Looking forward to my 914-6 2.7 piratenanner.gif cheer.gif
RJMII
Brett, thank you for posting that one. =o)

That was the practice run. It didn't start out as a practice run, but it sure ended that way when I saw that it hadn't cut all the way through.

Your 914-6 2.7 is in the works. The 914-6 with the thicker metal is on the mill now, ready to be cut out, and your 2.7 is next after that.
KELTY360
Since you're working in the realm of mythical 914s, how about a 914S emblem? idea.gif Come to think of it, a NARP emblem would be pretty cool also. happy11.gif

VaccaRabite
I would rock a "914S" emblem for my 2056.

Zach
r_towle
I would like to put in a request for a 914-RT
Its my initials...

Rich
JRust
I got my 914-8 Emblem! Very cool Jim aktion035.gif

That 914 GT looks great man. I'm glad to see people putting out ideas. Everyone remember these ideas all cost to do. Make sure you treat Jim right! Jim don't go making any ideas until someone has commited a deposit to buy blink.gif . I know you like to play with your new mill. Going to be easy to eat alot of aluminum if you don't get some money rolling in for it dry.gif

Love that you are making them biggrin.gif
kconway
I'll take one of those GT emblems if there not all spoken for.
Kev
RJMII
Oh wow, thank you for all of the compliments and ideas!

Someone asked on pricing. The way I've been calculating it is $10 for setup charge, then $10 per letter and $5 for shipping. (CONUS) paypal is esoteric (@) bresnan.net The first person to pay decides which one I work on next! (after Brett's 2.7 wink.gif )

Hopefully I will have another productive afternoon tomorrow and have some more pictures for everyone. smile.gif
RJMII
QUOTE(kconway @ Apr 22 2010, 08:20 PM) *

I'll take one of those GT emblems if there not all spoken for.
Kev

Hey Kev, one has had your name on it from the start of this run. I'm just waiting for the paypal confirmation to come through. wink.gif
I remembered you asking for a GT emblem in the 914-8 thread.
Silverstreak
914 Z!! I'll drop a 350Z in mine just to have the emblem let alone the awesome power. Wonder if it's been done yet. rolleyes.gif Google search! type.gif
charliew
I'm thinking 914 TH as in turbo hybrid Jim.
Payment sent
campbellcj
I would love a 914-R for my car, if it is not too big a deal for you to do one-offs.
RJMII
Chris; these all started out as one-offs. smile.gif I'd be happy to add yours to the list.
RJMII
QUOTE(charliew @ Apr 22 2010, 08:35 PM) *

I'm thinking 914 TH as in turbo hybrid Jim.
Payment sent

would you like the '-' in there? 914-TH ? Like I did the GT version above, just replacing GT with TH?
computers4kids
Jim,
Now that you've played a bit with your tooling, have you figured out how many letters you can do in one run? I was still toying with something like 914-Automatic.

Thanks...PS you're emblems look great.
914dave
I like the GT emblems. What do I need to do to get one?
RJMII
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Apr 23 2010, 07:45 AM) *

Jim,
Now that you've played a bit with your tooling, have you figured out how many letters you can do in one run? I was still toying with something like 914-Automatic.

Thanks...PS you're emblems look great.

Thank you!

The 914-GT is the longest I can do in one run, but I've also been playing with ideas on how to move the piece and position it correctly for the next set of letters.

I will give it a try next week and report back to you. Do you want all uppercase letters? I'm not sure how the lower case letters are supposed to be formed quite yet. (but I'd be happy to make something up!)
RJMII
QUOTE(914dave @ Apr 23 2010, 08:00 AM) *

I like the GT emblems. What do I need to do to get one?

Thank you, Dave! smile.gif

They are $65, and I will PM you right now.
charliew
Build a jig to hold the piece that will extend the bed. Cut the first six, stop, move the piece over in the jig and start the second program.
burton73
Hi Dave,

My emblem was bent as well because the paper pouch gives it no rigidity. If you tape the emblem to a wood paint stirring stick, there would be no problem. I just bent my emblem back with a little love and it was fine.

I have been working it with the Dremel to get the 8 the right shape for me and softened the outsides of the numbers. I tried some polishing. I think I will have Al Reed chrome plate it when he does my wheels. It will be a great finishing touch.

Bob
Click to view attachment
RJMII
Charlie, I wish it were that simple. It's writing the seperate sets of programs that is needing some more of my attention. I'm thinking of putting an x/y zero hole at the end of the first set of letters, and aligning the hole with 'home' to mill out the next set. make sense? I was planning on just working on it and then posting pics sometime next week. smile.gif

Bob,

the wood paint stick idea is GREAT! Thank you!! I'm sorry yours showed up bent. sad.gif I'm glad that it went back with a little love and was fine. The modifications you are doing to it are looking really nice! Thank you for posting the picture and providing some feedback. smile.gif

-Jim

RJMII
Charlie,

I've started your drawing.

Do you like the 'H' Fillet'd like this? Or do you prefer sharp edges on the outer corners like the 4 and the 1?
BKLA
QUOTE(RJMII @ Apr 22 2010, 05:14 PM) *

Brett, thank you for posting that one. =o)

That was the practice run. It didn't start out as a practice run, but it sure ended that way when I saw that it hadn't cut all the way through.

Your 914-6 2.7 is in the works. The 914-6 with the thicker metal is on the mill now, ready to be cut out, and your 2.7 is next after that.

piratenanner.gif cheer.gif smilie_pokal.gif

RJMII
This 2.7 doesn't quite look right... something about the 7. sad.gif

siverson
Looks good. This is how I made mine several years ago... (bondo!)

3 was a "2" from 2.0, and 6 was a "9" from 914.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
rhd914
HI, they look great. Any plans for 914-6 GT, when you get to do a longer piece?
Can't wait to see what other ones you do.
Geoff.
RJMII
That 3.6 looks good. It gives me an idea of what a 3 might look like. smile.gif

Geoff, yes! That is in the list for when I figure out the longer pieces. I am also looking into a longer table for my x-axis, which will really help with the longer emblems.
KELTY360
QUOTE(RJMII @ Apr 23 2010, 03:06 PM) *

Does it need a radius in the upper right ?
RJMII
Rich;

How does this look?
KELTY360
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Apr 23 2010, 06:06 PM) *

Looking further, turn 914 upside down and focus on the 4. I think you'll find the right shape for the 7.
RJMII
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Apr 24 2010, 02:04 PM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Apr 23 2010, 06:06 PM) *

Looking further, turn 914 upside down and focus on the 4. I think you'll find the right shape for the 7.

Yeah! That's it right there! Silly me, I turned my head instead of picking up an emblem off of my desk. lol (there's a handful of them here now, just not a 1.7 yet)
underthetire
QUOTE(RJMII @ Apr 24 2010, 01:01 PM) *

Rich;

How does this look?

Your really rockin and rolin with that mill. Congrats !
charliew
Jim the T and H look fine to me. On the 7 how about rounding both the top corners to match the 9? Oh yeah and also use the dash like the gt version.
RJMII
Charlie, good deal! I'll get yours cut out here shortly. smile.gif

I requested pics in another thread; and now see what the stock one looks like. I'm working on the drawing right now, and it's looking much better! no rounded edges on the 7, I tried it and it looked funky.
BKLA

The width of the "2" and the "7" should be about the same, would be my guess.

see how the 2 and the 7 are similar widths in the 911 engine graphic.

Click to view attachment
BKLA
Any updates?

RJMII
QUOTE(BKLA @ May 1 2010, 05:43 PM) *

Any updates?

I'm waiting on some more aluminum so I can finish some 'extras' for you. wink.gif a little 'thank you' for loaning the emblems to me to get measurements.
RJMII
Working on another drawing while I wait for my aluminum to show up this morning.

Thoughts?
RJMII
Still waiting on aluminum...

914S ?
KELTY360
Those are both way cool. Wish I didn't have 914 2.0 holes to fill on my freshly painted car.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(RJMII @ May 3 2010, 10:37 AM) *

Still waiting on aluminum...

914S ?

Like it... love it.... beer.gif
7TPorsh
Excellent aktion035.gif

How about 914 targa ...with targa in the script font?

Dr Evil
Talented as always, Jim smile.gif
BKLA
QUOTE(RJMII @ May 1 2010, 06:13 PM) *

QUOTE(BKLA @ May 1 2010, 05:43 PM) *

Any updates?

I'm waiting on some more aluminum so I can finish some 'extras' for you. wink.gif a little 'thank you' for loaning the emblems to me to get measurements.

drooley.gif

I'm like a kid waiting for xmas!
gothspeed
Wow smile.gif!!! Looks like I need to send some money soon!!
RJMII
QUOTE(gothspeed @ May 5 2010, 06:35 PM) *

Wow smile.gif!!! Looks like I need to send some money soon!!

That would be great. smile.gif you can order through my site now!

I'm still trying to work over the shipping module to take out the options that I'd rather not have in there. (ie media mail... emblems aren't media. lol I'd like to just go with small flat rate boxes all around and make it so much smoother)

On another note; My delayed aluminum order that's taken a week and a half too long to get here has finally arrived! I am stoked! I'm doing a run of NARP emblems on Friday. smile.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.