popcorn[1].gif

Time for some more!

flag.gif Red, White & Blue for Memorial Day -

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment

And something to entertain the Kiddies during the festivities -

Click to view attachment

A Rainbow of 914 & taildragger colors -

Click to view attachment

... but lookie here blink.gif which one gets the coveted garage space! biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

.... Any others, before Sunny BBQs this weekend???? shades.gif

popcorn[1].gif
AvalonFal
The basics:

"The mid-engine Porsche."
Click to view attachment

Paul

Tom_T
poke.gif Where'd everybody go!!?? confused24.gif

Okay then, FINE! .... here's some more "rehashes with a twist" & some new ones ....... popcorn[1].gif

So we've seen this one before, but I want to rename this ad to "The 'Oh Shoot, Now what do we do with the Top?' Porsche" blink.gif

Click to view attachment

....... because they obviously didn't read the directions in this one from the 73 & several MY sales brochures! dry.gif

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Okay so it's "The Schusse Porche" or "The Ski Porsche" ..... but who goes skiing in the Alps with the freaking top off!!?? blink.gif
... I mean this isn't Sunny SoCal Spring Skiing in Bikinis weather from the pix here!! huh.gif

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

The Pace Porsche .... or ... The Race Porsche? driving.gif

shades.gif
AvalonFal
Click to view attachment

Paul
Tom_T
Time again for more! biggrin.gif

"The Mountain Porsche" or "Mounting a Porsche" ??

"The Nature Porsche" ( huh.gif watch out for that Sea Gull - ooops! splattt!!! too late! pinch.gif ) or "Porsche in Nature" ??

Some Classic "Old School" Black & Whites -

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Anyone else? confused24.gif

popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif

AvalonFal
Another from Germany:

Click to view attachment

Paul

Tom_T
Okay, time for some more ads to liven up good ole O&H-Land!

"The Race Porsche" is also "The Space Porsche" .... biggrin.gif

The latter ad above usually leads to "The Porsche Questions" which most of us with 914s in frequent use have heard more than once!

"Hey - how many trunks does that thing have?" blink.gif
... Ummm, well two! shades.gif

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Which usually leads to: "Well how much can that little car hold?" confused24.gif

Click to view attachment

- This particular one usually popped up for me as we unloaded a 3-man dome tent, 2 sleeping bags, pads & cots, 2 ~ 12 qt. coolers, 2 beach chairs, Coleman stove & camp cook gear, lantern, several bags & backpacks, etc., etc. - while on a camp trip in my 73 914-2.0/"914 S" biggrin.gif

But those two invariably led to the infamous: "well then, where the heck is the engine in that thang!!??" unsure.gif

Which then usually requires further explanation of the differences between their cars, Bugs & 911s/912s & "Their Car" with the engine up front!

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Our 914's never cease to amaze the masses when they're seen in action - whether on the road, track or just pleasurable people & gear hauling for vacations or every day use! Porsche+Audi & VW-Porsche played these unique features & advantages up big time, as you can see from the period ads & sales brochure pages posted above.

It's also endless giggles & entertainment for we Teeners! lol-2.gif

Hey jsr-jaime - how about you posting some of those cool 914 ads from Japan, that you posted over in the "Legend of the 914 S ...." topic???? confused24.gif
... those were pretty cool! aktion035.gif

Anyone else with vintage 914 ads to post? shades.gif

popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
German post cards......
1970 Neun vierzehn
another.............
Tom_T
Thanx Paul! biggrin.gif
Bleyseng
Wasn't SM2383 the prototype with the gas filler door? Maybe they airbushed it out for that postcard....
Bleyseng
Wasn't SM2383 the prototype with the gas filler door? Maybe they airbushed it out for that postcard....
Tom_T
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jul 9 2010, 05:46 AM) *

I was thinking that IIRC - that SM2383 was in one of the 914 books I have, but don't recall if it was that prototype, but I'll check later ?? when I get a chance.

OK - did it .....

In Brian Long's 2nd ed. 914 & 914-6 book with the color pix, the SM2383 plate appears on at least 2 different colored 914-6 cars - one is orange & the other is the color of the postcard pic (dark red, red metallic, burgundy, ???).

Perhaps the plate was moved around to different 914s, in which case they could've stuck it on the prototype at some point. Perhaps it was used like the plates here in the USA, which the dealers attach to various cars in stock for test drives?

Geoff - maybe you could find a pic of the prototype with SM2383 & post it here with a note to that effect? confused24.gif

Here are some other shots that I have of the Orange SM2383 -

Click to view attachment
- well - B&W, so it could be orange or maroon/red

.... or was this the optional "filler" to which you were referring!!?? biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

lol-2.gif av-943.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jul 9 2010, 05:46 AM) *

BINGO!!!! biggrin.gif

Gas filler door on a maroon/red? 914-6 -

Click to view attachment

... I still prefer the "filler" options on the orange SM2383!
happy11.gif

Tom_T
... & Maroon SM2383 from the rear showing it as a 914-6 -

Click to view attachment
> not sure if it's the same 914 as the front shot, because it has different wheels in this shot?

.... butt, I still prefer the optional equipment "rears" on the Orange SM2383! happy11.gif

idea.gif
I wonder if they were the "Norwegian Equipment" on Pat Garvey's COA for his 72 914/4 "Fritz"?? shades.gif
AvalonFal
Another 2 pager from Germany:

Paul
Click to view attachment
Bleyseng
more on the red car....On the prototype cars, they painted them several times IIRC for all the press/marketing. Jacco provided these pics from a early European brochure. Gosh, I haven't heard from Jacco in a couple of years!
rick 918-S
I was hoping this was my Raspberry car.... shades.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muRuHA-MREs
Tom_T
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 12 2010, 05:34 PM) *

I was hoping this was my Raspberry car.... shades.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muRuHA-MREs

Ha! I remember that ad from back in the day on TV, shot in the SoCal desert in part. Thanx for posting this Rick! smile.gif

They also had a similar ad back then which touted "LA to SF on 1 tank of gas" with great shots along Coast Hwy.! w00t.gif

BTW - it was just one tank, but generally you had to stop for food & pee long before the 914 needed fuel. shades.gif

LA-SF up I-5 was more like 3/4 tank at 55 (yeah right - try 65 or so) because it was mostly a flat & straight shot up the Central Valley. driving.gif
Bleyseng
they weren't Raspberry, its PINK!
The tranny I am running is out of a low mile Pink 914. A lady's pride and joy with only 30k on it and she drives it out of a sunny day in Seattle....til a lunchtime drunk Tbones her going40mph....
So I got the tranny out of the car while the rest was crushed...about 10 years ago it happened. I had seen the Pink 914 every once and a while for years as how many Pink 914's in Seattle were there.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jul 13 2010, 10:17 AM) *

they weren't Raspberry, its PINK!
The tranny I am running is out of a low mile Pink 914. A lady's pride and joy with only 30k on it and she drives it out of a sunny day in Seattle....til a lunchtime drunk Tbones her going40mph....
So I got the tranny out of the car while the rest was crushed...about 10 years ago it happened. I had seen the Pink 914 every once and a while for years as how many Pink 914's in Seattle were there.

Alien sighting. assimilate.gif No vin # no photos on proof. assimilate.gif Alien sighting.
Tom_T
Found another one of SM2383, looks like the red version/car, but hard to tell with the photo's lighting ....

- it's advertised as a 4 in this shot though ("914" only), since a sixer would have it named a 914-6 in their standard terminology of the day ......

Click to view attachment

.... if I zoom in real tight, it sorta looks like it has that prototype gas filler door in front of the passenger side wiper, but very hard to tell for sure! blink.gif

popcorn[1].gif
Bleyseng
There were only IIRC 10 prototypes that were complete cars so taking a nice pic of a 6 car and labeling it a 4 for a ad is probably what happened. Who cares as its a nice shot...and as I said they changed the colors on the cars alot...
Buried in old posts is a lot of info on the Prototype cars including #4 (the first true six) unless its been deleted. It would be nice if all that info was put back in..
Tom_T
agree.gif ..... it's probably the red -6 .... or six in red paint - whichever it was.

Why don't you start a new O&H topic on prototype 914s & maybe we can convince one of the admins to put it up as a nailed thread in here, so it doesn't get lost? confused24.gif

I've already started this & a couple of others to keep the O&H toodling along in Pat's absence. shades.gif

popcorn[1].gif
Bleyseng
SM2383 at Hockenheim as a 914/6 in 1969. note the flared fenders, GT style rear lid
Bleyseng
SM2383 and #4
Bleyseng
#4 when new and at the WCC
Bleyseng
#4 and SM2383
Gustl
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jul 17 2010, 11:27 AM) *

SM2383 at Hockenheim as a 914/6 in 1969. note the flared fenders, GT style rear lid

you should know that the license plate(s) were interchangable between different cars
S - M 2383 was used on various cars
this photo shows the 1st 914-6 GT "prototype" 914.0.43.0019

Tom_T
QUOTE(Gustl @ Jul 17 2010, 05:37 AM) *

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jul 17 2010, 11:27 AM) *

you should know that the license plate(s) were interchangable between different cars
S - M 2383 was used on various cars
this photo shows the 1st 914-6 GT "prototype" 914.0.43.0019

agree.gif .... I thought that might be the case Wolfgang, & suggested that might be the case in an earlier post above, that they might use that as a manufacturer's plate & interchangeable, similar to how the new car dealers here in the USA have interchangeable plates to use on new cars for a test drive. Thanx for clarifying.

Bleyseng - what is #4 - the 4th 914/4 prototype? confused24.gif

If so & it's here in the US/West Coast from that WCR, then someone needs to give it some well deserved TLC from that WCC pic, for such a unique early 9q4 prototype! smile.gif

Thanx for posting those!
popcorn[1].gif
Gustl
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 17 2010, 08:10 PM) *

what is #4 - the 4th 914/4 prototype? confused24.gif

it's a surviving 914/6 prototype car

it's called #4 because its VIN is 914114
larss
Found theese pictures form 1972 of the "Rennleitung" 914/6, quite a lot of stuff under the hoods...
Whats up with the exaust...it has 3 pipes...?

/Lars S

IPB Image
IPB Image
Gustl
QUOTE(larss @ Oct 3 2010, 01:11 PM) *

Found theese pictures form 1972 of the "Rennleitung" 914/6, quite a lot of stuff under the hoods...
Whats up with the exaust...it has 3 pipes...?

this is the "ONS R1 safety car" - that's the ex-1971 Monte Carlo Rallye Werks-GT
it has the rallye exhaust; on public roads they had to close the 2 pipes at the end, because they're not street legal - so it worked similar than the stock 914-6 exhaust
on race tracks they were allowed to open the pipes for more power (and noise) biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif Gustl
mskala
Click to view attachment
Tom_T
Thanx Mark! smile.gif

"Snow Porsches" ~ or Skiing 914s .....

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
racerbvd
Click to view attachment
rnellums
I cant remember where I found all these, but it was somewhere on the net, because I don't own a single one...
Click to view attachment
"When you turn the headlights on it turns you on" - Hilarious
Tom_T
Thanx!

Some cool ones that I've not seen before.

FYI - The ones that start with a lower case "z" in the pic name are from Jeff Bowlsby's websites. & the ones starting with "post...." are from 914world forums (maybe 914club too). Others I can't help you with sources.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.