Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas tank resto
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pages: 1, 2
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Niklas @ Jun 23 2010, 10:23 AM) *

Hi!

Why are you not using powdercoating ?
In that colour it should not cost more than 10 Euro.( 12 dollar )
I painted mine in semigloss black looks great.
Just sandblasted it before and when it was painted
I used tanksealer looks great.

Niklas

Niklas,

If you'll provide a pic of your tank, I'll explain why it is not the "correct" finish.
However, I will say this....the Factory did not use powdercoating, hence the finish is incorrect. Powdercoating did not surface until the early '80's, and it was used on office equipment. The finish was fine for filing cabinets, but the "nubby" finish has no place on a 914. Oh, I almost failed to mention this - 914 components were paint sprayed. And this finish is entirely different. You know, original in appearance.

Some will say that I am extreme in maintaining originality. Probably so, but original is original. Now I know that once a finish is re-finished it's no longer original. But, if you can make people wonder if the finish is original or not....you've won your point.

So, send us a pic of your powdercoated tank.
Pat
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jun 23 2010, 08:29 AM) *

Wow not grey enough? I'm very surprized to hear that. I was going to use it for my brake handle but it was too grey for that. Maybe it will be closer once you polish and wax it. I had the same problem with my Wurth satin trim paint. Once it was polished and waxed, it matched. They have another color called anthracite which is an off grey-brown-black. No idea if that would be any better or not. I suspect not.

Sorry Tod! And thanks for the can. Really thought it would be correct! And, it's close...just not quite right to match my original tank.

Don't get me wrong, it IS nice (and the paint is hard as a rock after 2 days). Was just hoping for a perfect match.
Have 2 more cans coming, so maybe it'll make a difference. If not, there's going to be a primo tank for sale.
Pat
Cairo94507
Man, are we ever going to see this gas tank? Let's see some new teaser shots!
tod914
I went through the same thing with my intake runners. Not a perfect match either. I have another set I'll find a closer match for over the winter. Always happy to help Pat. Eventually we'll get these German paints nailed down!
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 25 2010, 08:41 PM) *

Man, are we ever going to see this gas tank? Let's see some new teaser shots!

Patience my friend, patience. I ran out of paint (now have more) and have been wet sanding one half. The temp in the garage is currently 88.7 degrees, with 67% humidity. And it's nearly 9 pm! Not particularly condusive to long term work for an old man!

Tomorrow will hopefully be a slightly cooler day.

I want this tank perfect as can be (has a singular small dent), so slow & steady. The paint is rock hard & doesn't sand easily, but we'll get there. Maybe some pics on Monday or Tuesday.
Pat
Cairo94507
popcorn[1].gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jun 25 2010, 11:19 PM) *

I went through the same thing with my intake runners. Not a perfect match either. I have another set I'll find a closer match for over the winter. Always happy to help Pat. Eventually we'll get these German paints nailed down!

Tod,
That sample of L249 Dove Gray that you sent me will be perfest for the intake runners.

That willl be the next roject, afeter the tanK.
Pat
tod914
Pat I think it has too much green too it. Let me know what you think.
Pat Garvey
Well, I went through several days of 95-105 temps in the garage, but finished the wet sanding (2000 grit was the last).
Then I moved everything to my 62 degree basement for compounding. Two days lost, but probably 4 days gained overall.

Taking shape. All sanding & compounding complete. Polishing & waxing to take place tomorrow.

Looks pretty good so far, though I'm not 100 percent happy. Should be a damn nice tank after this weekend. Have you noticed that I work slowly & deliberately?

Here are a couple of pics from the "dungeon".

If I can get my original tank done on the inside, without destroying the outter finish, this tank will be redundant...and available.

Final pics should be available Sunday PM.
Pat
Tom_T
So why aren't those chrome wheels on Fritz?

Tank looks superb! drooley.gif

PS - some of the minute color differences which you & Tod are seeing in the black/dark grey on the tank, & dove grey on the FI intake runners/tubes - could just be color changes over 35-40 years of time &/or slight differences at mix batches at the factory from the outset.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 9 2010, 05:06 PM) *

So why aren't those chrome wheels on Fritz?

Tank looks superb! drooley.gif

PS - some of the minute color differences which you & Tod are seeing in the black/dark grey on the tank, & dove grey on the FI intake runners/tubes - could just be color changes over 35-40 years of time &/or slight differences at mix batches at the factory from the outset.

T,
It hasn't been polished or waxed yet. Just wait until you see the finished product - Sunday at the latest.

Funny you should mention the color differences. When I picked up the "old" tank to take to cooler confines of the dungeon, I placed it next to the original tank (well, 3 feet away), and noted that it actually was damned close to the original. Close enough that I'll use it if my original is unrepairable.

I'll say this ..... when you are working with freshly refinished surfaces, before they have cured, been wet-sanded & compounded, it's easy to say that they aren't proper. But, when you put some effort into them and look at them in the same light of day, they can surprise you.

Yep, a lot of folks would/will say that I'm wasting time or eccentric, in trying to make a near match to me original 914. Yeppir, I'm eccentric, but I want what I want.

When the tank is ready,I'll work on the intake tubes (have 6 pairs).

Yeah T, diff's in batch mixing probably created all kinds of shade variations. And, the engine heat has more than likely had an effect on the color of the tubes. Don't expect perfection from those either. Well, yes I do!
Pat
Tom_T
You do it & do it right, or redo it!

I just hope to do near as good a job on my 73's resto, as you & Tod & Paul & others on here do on yours!

I'll be curious to hear which tires you end up with on ole Fritz too!
... will they go on your chromies, as in your pix of Fritz from back in the day in KY??

Cheers & Keep Cool! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 9 2010, 09:01 PM) *

You do it & do it right, or redo it!

I just hope to do near as good a job on my 73's resto, as you & Tod & Paul & others on here do on yours!

I'll be curious to hear which tires you end up with on ole Fritz too!
... will they go on your chromies, as in your pix of Fritz from back in the day in KY??

Cheers & Keep Cool! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

For the third time in a year, I cut my fingertip nearly off. Some people should not be permitted fine edge knives! Amazing how much you bleed from such a small area! So, it kept me from finishing the tank over the weekend.

WILL be finished Tuesday night though. Worked on it a little tonight, but it's tough not being able to use an index finger.
. Chunk on some Meguiars.
The finished result will be attractive, shiney, etc., but not to my standards. Yeah, I'd put it into my 914, but won't be happy with it. Looks great, but compared to my original it's not so great. I've put more than 50 hours into this tank, but this paint from Wolsburg West is SO hard that it resists wet sanding...to a degree. 600 grit worked well, but cut through four coats quickly. 1000 grit did OK, but was slow to cut. 1500 grit did little - period. Yet, 2000 grit polished it up really nicely. Add some compound, and it is more than presentable. Add some Meguiars polishing compound & it starts looking pretty damned nice. Next, will use Meguiars Final Touch. After that, I'm finished! Time to install.
P
Pat Garvey
Refinishing complete! Jeez!
All it needs now are two new seals (don't trust the 40 y/o ones), some new fasteners, a new sock & to get it in.

The pics of the finished product are 1) with the flash , showing the diff between the tank and the evap chamberClick to view attachment. This shade is about 95% correct to my original tank.

The others are just fluff - tank came out pretty decent, though I have some issues and would do things differently.

This is the last installment of this topic from me.

Now, we move to replacement.
P

Tom_T
Well Pat - it looks great on its own, but I can definitely see the color difference that you're talking about with them side-by-side, & I have to fully agree with your prior statements & frustration!

... which leads me to believe that for my tank's/evap's touch-up or repaint, I'll need to find a better color match! dry.gif

You did a great paint job & finishing though! biggrin.gif
scotty b
blink.gif your gas tank looks better than most peoples cars av-943.gif

Kudos Pat beerchug.gif
tod914
Very nice Pat. Tank appears flawless. Drop it in! Tom, if I understand Pat's post, it's the same tank just different camera settings.
Tom_T
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jul 14 2010, 04:58 PM) *

Very nice Pat. Tank appears flawless. Drop it in! Tom, if I understand Pat's post, it's the same tank just different camera settings.

Understood Tod, I was just commenting that when you see the repainted fuel tank & OE expansion tank side-by-side, that you can really see the difference in the paint color, which I agree is not a perfect color match as Pat said.

The 1st pic with the flash on really brings out the difference.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jul 14 2010, 02:18 PM) *

blink.gif your gas tank looks better than most peoples cars av-943.gif

Kudos Pat beerchug.gif

Scottster - thanks for the kind comments. I agree, not too bad for a rattle can version.
But, it is not perfect. I started with a 40 year old tank that was clean inside. The outside was a mess! The purpose was to make this tank a replacement for my original, if necessary. The original is ten times better in appearance than the replacement, but really ugly inside. If I can get the original steamed out without destroying the exterior finish the replacement becomes a boat anchor.

Can you do that? I'll bring it if you can.
Pat
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 13 2010, 07:50 PM) *

Well Pat - it looks great on its own, but I can definitely see the color difference that you're talking about with them side-by-side, & I have to fully agree with your prior statements & frustration!

... which leads me to believe that for my tank's/evap's touch-up or repaint, I'll need to find a better color match! dry.gif

Tom,

You don't quite get it (read ealier posts). I was TRYING to get the gray-black finish on the tank. It's the same finish as my original tank for my 72. Yep, the expansion tank and filler collar were satin black, but the tank was gray-black (thanks Tod914!!!). And yes, I've overpolished everything - sorry.
Just hope I don't need to use this tank.
Pat
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 13 2010, 07:43 PM) *

Refinishing complete! Jeez!
All it needs now are two new seals (don't trust the 40 y/o ones), some new fasteners, a new sock & to get it in.

The pics of the finished product are 1) with the flash , showing the diff between the tank and the evap chamberClick to view attachment. This shade is about 95% correct to my original tank.

The others are just fluff - tank came out pretty decent, though I have some issues and would do things differently.

This is the last installment of this topic from me.

Now, we move to replacement.
P

I only post this because I realized that there is a STACK of early rain trays in the background of one pic, all of which are useless. Just a bump that i'm still looking for the perfect one. I've purchased 4 "perfect ones". None of these are usable. One is close, but has a crack (unrepairable). Sorry to hijack my own thread, but bucks are waiting boys! Hell, there's no moderator.
Pat
Tom_T
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 14 2010, 06:41 PM) *

Tom,

You don't quite get it (read ealier posts). I was TRYING to get the gray-black finish on the tank. It's the same finish as my original tank for my 72. Yep, the expansion tank and filler collar were satin black, but the tank was gray-black (thanks Tod914!!!). And yes, I've overpolished everything - sorry.
Pat

blink.gif .... Oh OK - I get what you mean now about the grey black. I thought that was the same color as your original tank in Fritz, on the expansion tank in the pix. (... no poetry intended! biggrin.gif )

Well my tank/exp. is the satin black, so I still do need to hunt for a different paint closer to your exp. tank in the pic to redo or touch up mine! biggrin.gif
... any black tank paint reccos would be appreciated if you or Tod, etc. know of one close to that satin black on the exp. tank in the pic.

BTW - I too need an early rain tray, but I thought Mikey914/Mark W. was going to be making some repro ones here sometime. Maybe his would suit you too?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 15 2010, 10:36 AM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 14 2010, 06:41 PM) *

Tom,

Pat

blink.gif .... Oh OK - I get what you mean now about the grey black. I thought that was the same color as your original tank in Fritz, on the expansion tank in the pix. (... no poetry intended! biggrin.gif )

Well my tank/exp. is the satin black, so I still do need to hunt for a different paint closer to your exp. tank in the pic to redo or touch up mine! biggrin.gif
... any black tank paint reccos would be appreciated if you or Tod, etc. know of one close to that satin black on the exp. tank in the pic.

BTW - I too need an early rain tray, but I thought Mikey914/Mark W. was going to be making some repro ones here sometime. Maybe his would suit you too?

Tom,

A little unsure of the meaning of your response. The gray-black (L43) IS the same shade as my original tank. I've lived with this car for 38 years & know every foible.

Apparently (and I can't substantiate this), there was a period in late 72 & early 73 models where this tank paint was used. Why? Don't know.
Also, apparently the expansion tanks & collars were never changed from sation black.

The "new" tank is an absolute clone of the original.

If you are contemplating respraying your tank I would talk to the people at Wolfsburg West. Great products - hard as a rock!
Pat
Tom_T
Pat - I just meant that in my 73 914-2.0's tank & evap appears both to be the darker satin black as is the evap in your pix, but I will do a side-by-side with the L43 to make sure. I'm pretty sure, because my tank & evap/collar appear to match colors/shades of black -but I will check it carefully & match to original color.

Wolfsburg West is about a 1/2 hour drive from me, so I can go in there in person if need be! biggrin.gif

Unfortunately the only pic I have of the tank right now is still covered in 25 years of dust, but I wiped a spot off & they appear to both be the same black. If you were closer, then I might sublet it out to you, as the master tank restorer! biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

... as I said - reeeeaaalllly dirty now, as I'm still in the process of stripping the car to shell for the body work & rust repairs to media-blast/prime/repaint - so it's a detail item further down the road! shades.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 16 2010, 06:12 PM) *

Pat - I just meant that in my 73 914-2.0's tank & evap appears both to be the darker satin black as is the evap in your pix, but I will do a side-by-side with the L43 to make sure. I'm pretty sure, because my tank & evap/collar appear to match colors/shades of black -but I will check it carefully & match to original color.

Wolfsburg West is about a 1/2 hour drive from me, so I can go in there in person if need be! biggrin.gif

Unfortunately the only pic I have of the tank right now is still covered in 25 years of dust, but I wiped a spot off & they appear to both be the same black. If you were closer, then I might sublet it out to you, as the master tank restorer! biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

... as I said - reeeeaaalllly dirty now, as I'm still in the process of stripping the car to shell for the body work & rust repairs to media-blast/prime/repaint - so it's a detail item further down the road! shades.gif

Tom,
Since yours is early, you may get a surprise (or not) when you strip things down.

Don't even think about contacting me to re-do it! One is enough, and if I charged by the hour you'de be better off chrome plating the thing. Nope, that's it for me. Glad I did it & hope it becomes a boat anchor.

Everything I've ever refurbished has been a lesson, and enjoyable because I never have to be rushed. If it doesn't turn out to my liking I'll go back to point zero, until I'm satisfied. I'm satisfied right now, yet other challenges await.
Pat
Tom_T
Thanx Pat - I've had many surprises so far - some good & some not! dry.gif

Hey, did that PaintScratch.com or whatever product you used for the little chip on Fritz's red paint ever work out for you? confused24.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 16 2010, 06:36 PM) *

Hey, did that PaintScratch.com or whatever product you used for the little chip on Fritz's red paint ever work out for you? confused24.gif

Jeez,
Do you need to keep bringing this up?

Every time I try do do this the weather is wrong. It's either too cold, ot too hot, or too humid. So, the answer is "I dunno". If this would ever turn into a "normal" summer.....P
Tom_T
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 16 2010, 06:33 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 16 2010, 06:36 PM) *

Jeez,
Do you need to keep bringing this up?

Every time I try do do this the weather is wrong. It's either too cold, ot too hot, or too humid. So, the answer is "I dunno". If this would ever turn into a "normal" summer.....P

Sorry! I just hadn't heard anything about it for awhile, & how stuff like that works out helps the rest of us out, to know how well it works for others who've tried it.

I have to do it on my Westy (many chips & scratches) & a few on the BMW.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.