Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: on the ground!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
charliew
If I were trying to do this application, I would use a light coat of short strand kittyhair then after feathering it down, a light skim coat of rage, either gold or extreme to try to keep the shrinkage to a minimum. It will take a few years to find out if you do a good job --- or not. All you can do is your best though. Good luck. I've never had a perfect long term good result with sticking fg to metal over a several year time frame but adhesives have come a long way.
raw1298
QUOTE(charliew @ May 6 2011, 02:32 PM) *

If I were trying to do this application, I would use a light coat of short strand kittyhair then after feathering it down, a light skim coat of rage, either gold or extreme to try to keep the shrinkage to a minimum. It will take a few years to find out if you do a good job --- or not. All you can do is your best though. Good luck. I've never had a perfect long term good result with sticking fg to metal over a several year time frame but adhesives have come a long way.

Yes time will tell. All the threads I have read on the stuff said it holds better than welds. They also claim that the fiberglass bond is tougher than the fiberglass is. The fiberglas will shread before the bond breaks. If they come apart down the road I will most likely do the fastener route and use the sheridan kit.
raw1298
Well it has been awhile so I thought I would give yall an update. First off, scratched cornias suck mad.gif , I was unable to work on the car until mid June. Next time I listen to the doctor dry.gif . Ad a two week family vacation to the northern Oregon coast beerchug.gif and that wraps up most of July. I have recently added a headlight switch and started back up on the body work. Thanks for the advise on using the Rage extreme filler. Works really smooth. I also welded up some brackets for the front bumper and started fitting both bumpers to the car. Here is a new picture to show some of the progress.
raw1298
I should post this in the slackers thread. biggrin.gif I spent last Saturday pulling the heat exchangers and building a bracket to mount the boxster muffler. I will post more pics when I take out to paint the bracket. I also need to sort out the connection to the engine. Would there be any disadvantage to using the later model 2.0 exhaust manifold spun around and connected directly to the muffler? (Besides the lack of heat).
raw1298
I thought I would give a quick update. WCR is coming quick!! Here is the boxster muffler installed. I used the 2 ltr manifolds turned around and 1.75" pipe all bought at a local parts shop. I will have this welded up when I can drive it to a friends house who has a better welder. The sound is great. I should add that the total cost for the exhaust was $150.00.
raw1298
Well, its back on jack stands and I am getting ready to get it all in primer. Doors are off and I am determined to get it ready to paint this winter. The doors are getting sanded and ready to fill small areas of concern.
raw1298
The past two years we remodeled the old house to get it ready to rent and bought a new house with a three car garage. That was my only requirement to move. biggrin.gif Now we have settled in I plan on getting this ready to drive asap.
bcheney
QUOTE(raw1298 @ Aug 2 2014, 07:42 PM) *

The past two years we remodeled the old house to get it ready to rent and bought a new house with a three car garage. That was my only requirement to move. biggrin.gif Now we have settled in I plan on getting this ready to drive asap.

Keep up the momentum...your project is very cool and looking great. Doesn't matter how long it takes as long as you're having fun and your heart is in the car. I love the look of he exhaust! Not sure how effective it will be in terms of back pressure but Chris Foley at Tangerine Racing may be willing to give you his advice since he produces a special header and exhaust for 914's and has done a lot of development and nows what works and what doesn't for different applications. The wheels are a very nice choice as well!! Keep the updates coming...nice job so far.
raw1298
Starting to fabricate flares into the bumpers. Using foam cores as a trial run. I will blend the rear as it is in first pic into the flares in second pic. Making progress in other areas as well. Getting ready to install front sway bar.
raw1298
After forming the foam and coating with bondo its time for glass work.
raw1298
Starting rear bumper mods.
raw1298
Rockers are next.
raw1298
Started on rear bumper today. Two step process. First was making flares off foam mold, then molding flare to bumper. Seems to be going well so far. confused24.gif
raw1298
A little filler....
raw1298
Few rough patches, but not bad for a rookie like me.smooth it down add a little filler and we will see.
raw1298
Ran somE 40 grit over it to smooth out. I have some thin spots to redo and work on the back side. Gotta keep moving smile.gif
raw1298
Side view.
raw1298
I am really liking the way this is heading. Time for little league, more work tomorrow.
raw1298
One more. biggrin.gif
raw1298
After attempting to get the rockers to line up I decided to try something different. I used the GT rockers do the mold and made ends to go on the metal rockers. What do you think? It is already closer than the glass ones.
raw1298
Another view.
raw1298
Used foil tape over the fiberglass rockers then glasses over. Popped right off when cured.night
raw1298
I am installing front sway bar today. Should I grease this plastic bushing? If so, what type of grease?
rhodyguy
You should make a mold off of those rockers. Odds are you could sell plenty.
raw1298
One side down.
raw1298
#2 on the way.
raw1298
New bolts for the rest and finished.
raw1298
Next project getting started.
tygaboy
I really like the looks of the exhaust. Just seems right to me.
I've done a ton of composite work so I know what you're going through! I happen to like it... Just wanted to say:

Keep up the great work! aktion035.gif
raw1298
Thanks. I have learned way more than I thought I would working on this car. Need to get it finished so I can enjoy it wink.gif.
raw1298
Measure 10 times, shave off a little at a time. smile.gif
raw1298
sawzall-smiley.gif
914pipe
I see you are doing the 240sx conversion. I was working on mine today and maybe you can use it as a reference.

I hate to do bodywork but that's what I was doing today. The downside of my installation it is if you hit hard the ground with your bumper....it will crack.

Here is the car with them.

Click to view attachment

Today bodywork....slow progress toooo...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Keep going, looking good!!!

aktion035.gif
raw1298
Looks great. I had already been checking your build thread for ideas.
raw1298
Starting to get close.
raw1298
Side viewClick to view attachment
ConeDodger
Fantastic progress Randy! aktion035.gif
raw1298
Thanks Rob. Life is getting simpler, more time to work on my project.
raw1298
Starting to get real close.
raw1298
Other side
papajohn123
Thanks for all the pictures you took mate! Make sure to update the thread weekly please, I love watching someone make progress!
LowBridge
solid job and soon you'll have the bad boy hot lapping... aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.