Pages: 1, 2, 3
bernbomb914
I am interested in the next run
dflesburg
How did they come out?
dflesburg
did they come out yet?
Mikey914
These are due out March 15th, and are on schedule. I have the new substructure fiberglass molds done and they look great. I decided a gloss finish would be nicer than just a rough texture.

The hardware for the front latching mechanism is almost done, just working out the geometry to get a better fit.

They will be easily adjustable and I think these will be better than OEM.
Some initial pictures tomorrow evening.
Socalandy
Please add me to the list for the next run!! Great job

Thks
Mike Bellis
I'm in maybe, what's the price?
Mikey914
The first run went out at $620, I'm trying to keep as close to that for s group buy as possible. It will be more as I have some cost increases, but I will be able to finalize the price once all is done.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 21 2011, 09:55 PM) *

These are due out March 15th, and are on schedule.

WOW!

I am so happy I got in on the first run - March 15th is my birthday - what a great gift I bought myself!!

Thanks Mark - cheers!
Mikey914
First shot at the front adjuster handles. Pretty close but need to change some of the geometry.
Mikey914
One more
jim_hoyland
Nice latches. How are the rears going ? smile.gif
Root_Werks
headbang.gif I should have gotten on the first run.

These look very cool.
Mikey914
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Feb 25 2011, 09:41 AM) *

Nice latches. How are the rears going ? smile.gif

The rears are next.SHould be much easier. Going to use a block and machine out the mounting hardware points and thread in a stud that will be machined for the "hooks". The blocks can be shimmed as required, and a rubber top will be applied to the top of the block for spacing.
71six
I would like in on the group buy when it happens smile.gif Will prospective purchasers be notified? Don't want to miss the opportunity when it occures confused24.gif
Mark
Mikey914
QUOTE(71six @ Mar 3 2011, 03:32 PM) *

I would like in on the group buy when it happens smile.gif Will prospective purchasers be notified? Don't want to miss the opportunity when it occures confused24.gif
Mark

1st production run has closed out and shipping will start the 15th. As soon as they are complete I will have a group buy. I needed to get a few of these out there and get the processes nailed down. I did have some price increases that will bump up the costs for the next run, but those that stepped up early got an even better deal.

I'll contact anyone who expresses an interest in these as soon as the full production is ready to begin.
Thanks,
Mark
tommy69
Hi Mark
I would like to have 2 of such a roof, I had written months ago.
How, then, is the exact process?
What does it cost including shipping to Germany?
Sorry for my bad English, I write with translator
Greetings
Thomas
dflesburg
How are the tops coming along?
partsman
please count me in for the next run... I guess my kids college funds will take a little hit, but....

Eric
Mikey914
Well, I finally go these moving. Took me a bit to get all the parts made. I grossly underestimated the amount of time it takes to assemble and polish these. Right now I will be moving 1-2 per week and have the 1st two packed and ready to go.

I test fit on my car to assure the fit would be good for these. I decide to leave off the seals so that they could be installed so they fit perfectly on the car they will be going on.

I have managed to minimize the edge issue utilizing a custom profile. and added a rubber trim to the back edge. I had thought about adding this to the front also but the fitment for the seal I was planing to use interfered with installation. I may add some additional clearance to be able to accommodate this in the future, but for now it's simply a clean edge.

I have brought on some additional help to help get these rolling that will hopefully increase output and make these easier to produce. My biggest problem with these is that as I started to assemble them, I kept finding ways to make improvements. Some I felt were necessary to incorporate, others will be rolled out as they are ready, and will be incorporated in future production. I have already redesigned the hardware for the attachment points to a unique design that will make it very straight forward and will be a cleaner look.

I have added serial numbers to these as a nice little touch. That way I can have a history for each one. You may notice that the first serial number is 0003, this is because the 1st prototype is 1, and I did sacrifice #2 to destructive testing to see how well the bonding agent worked, and see where I could make any improvements.

I also had custom boxes made for the fist 6 that utilize a laminated cardboard design. They are very light, and say they are as strong as a wooden crate. The crate is also slightly larger and will cost more to ship, but I will be giving my customers the option. They are actually the same price at $50, and I don't care which way you prefer as I'm just passing the cost on.

Thanks to all for your patience and I will be bringing on to WCR for all to see.

-Mark
Mikey914
more
Mikey914
more
Mikey914
I was able to minimize some of the ugliness on the edge.
Mikey914
It takes quite a bit longer than I had planned to polish these and they scratch way if you are not careful. I actually started wrapping the acrylic portion in plastic after I finish forming them.
Mikey914
This is the back side with the protective rubber edge installed. This way you can actually set it down on that edge if you need to.
Mikey914
If you use Meguire's plastic detail-er, you can polish without statically charging the roof. If not you have a dust magnet ...... literally.
johannes
That's the coolest accessory in 40 years ...

wub.gif
db9146
Are the interior latches going to be painted black or anodized black so that they are not so obvious?
Mikey914
The latches have actually been completely redesigned, and yes the new ones will be black anodized.
porbmw
Hey Mark

Those look AWESOME.
What a lot of work!....and talent.

Just to say....NO rush on mine, take care of any others on the list first and keep em all happy...... I"m way behind re my little project, so to the extent that others can enjoy the product over the summer, would be pleased if they get theirs first.

BTW

I"m doing some reno (still) to my cabin...well, I will be this summer.
If I recall, you do work re handrails, aluminum or stainless, etc.
Do you have a web site...or pics of what you do....I have some vague thoughts of where I may go with some stuff, and it may be that you would be able to supply some product.....

Anyway, way to go with all your products...and the WAS.

Paul
porbmw
Sorry to the teeners, meant that to be a PM...but don't think I insulted anyone sad.gif
Mikey914
It is the season-
DIYRailing.com
I'm renewing the certificate on the site so you may get a warning that the certificate expired, should be fixed in the morning.

BuddyV
Mark -

WOW!

Am I actually getting one of these???!!

Awesome work....... cheers!

Keep me posted!

- Robert R.
charliew
I won't be needing one of these for awhile but I will want one in the future. I'm pretty picky so when you are completely happy with the quality I'm interested.
Mikey914
QUOTE(charliew @ Jun 1 2011, 03:02 PM) *

I won't be needing one of these for awhile but I will want one in the future. I'm pretty picky so when you are completely happy with the quality I'm interested.

Unfortunately / fortunately I am too. That's one of the reasons this thing took so long. I'm gearing up to be able to continue producing 2 per week and as I produce more the product will continue to evolve I'm sure.

-Mark
dflesburg
excellent keep us posted so I can order.
flat4tom
I just found this thread...all I can say is WOW! drooley.gif

When I first bought my 914 I searched for a Saratoga top and came up empty.

Please let me know when you decide to do the group buy on these, I'm definitely interested!

Thanks and great work!

Tom
Mikey914
Status right now is
8 (10 right now) on back order
2 to ship next week
2 that have already shipped

-16 units of substructure done
(10 will be consumed in the filling of the back orders) I anticipate I will have 9-10 on hand when I open up the group buy.

These are being produced at 1 per week, but can be increased to 2-3 per week once I'm caught up.

3 acrylic sections formed (going to try to get done another 4-5 this weekend)

After the 2 that are being laid up this weekend are done

The assembly is done in fixtures are we ar actually changing the bonding material to a fully catalized material to help speed up the process we are doing some testing this weekend to assure it will work. The only issue is that it is a white color and we have to use a special frit and assure it bonds fully to the both parts and then make sure it will not show through.

Eevryone has been quite patient and I have got quite an education on making these and I'm glad that I did a limited run as it is allowing me to sort out materials, design ,and assembly details.

The day job has been getting in the way, but it will get better soon and I have brought on some help. My bigest problem is that I have once again spread myself too thin, but it's coming together nicely, and we will be in a position to do some volume on these soon.

I will not take any additional orders until can assure they will be able to ship in pretty short order.

Thanks to all more to follow shortly,

-Mark
siverson
Please add me to the back order when ready... ! Looks great!
71six
Mark,
Are you adding those who have expressed a desire to be in on the group buy to your list for the next run? Post #114 was mine in case you are.
Thanks
Mark Curtin
Mikey914
I wlll be notifiying everyone that signed up so if they want in I have a list of people to send the email out to. This next week should be the turning point in getting production out the door. I anticipate I will open up the group buy in about 10 days.

-Mark
Mikey914
Well I've got all the parts formed and bonded. I'm polishing and mounting the hardware. Looks like the back orders will be filled as soon as I can finish this up. I anticipate I'll have them all shipped end of next week.

I have started a fresh group buy thread with the first roofs to ship in 10 days, at a rate of 2 per week.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.