Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Progress on the WAS top - 1st run starting to ship
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Mikey914
side
This is one of the cosmetic details to be addressed. We will have to use slightly longer material to allow for shrinkage. Also we will be utilizing another material for edge bonding to allow for a longer working time. This also requires jigs to hold while it sets up.
Mikey914
Side with window tucked nicely under the seal, just like OEM!
Mikey914
Another
Mikey914
close up
racerbvd
That looks like a better top than my Saratoga drooley.gif
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Mikey914
another
Mikey914
That was what I was going for. Why make something that's a copy of a crappy design?
quadracerx
WOW...is all I can say...besides "I want one"....LOL Now to just find the $....

Nice job...

Steve
edrotol
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 21 2010, 12:07 PM) *

The prototype is done and the fiberglass substructure complete. I will have the first parts to assemble the production completed in January.

Just was so excited to have this done I waned to post a few pics.

The new roofs will come with OEM style side seals, and rear seal. I'm actually machining new latches that will be adjustable without removing them from the roof, as well as rear mounts. The OEM ones are on the roof at this time.

You will notice that some of the bonding agent is visible through the roof top. This will be addressed by adding frit on the inside that will black out the areas where the 2 parts bond. I will be posting some pictures on a car later this evening.

This was a complete redesign from the original concept, but I'm much happier with the product.

I will pre-sell the first 10 units for delivery in March (or sooner) at $620+ shipping. I anticipate the production costs will put these at a retail of $750.

I will offer a plywood shipping / storage box for $40, with memory foam to hold it nice and tight.

I'm working out the shipping costs now, but it looks like about $45 in to LA, and about $65 to NY.

More to be posted soon

i would lke to reserve one. Mark. (You remember me of course??? East coast guy waiting for the seals FOR MY ORIGINAL SARATOGA!!!! We have been communicating for 2 years now I think.)
913B
Dumb question, will it fit in the trunk like the targa top ?

Dam its tempting. I want one. biggrin.gif
jim_hoyland
Put me down for the initial run. PM sent.
karlo
Super nice!

Heavier or lighter than the stock top?
Mikey914
You could put them in the rear trunk, but they are 1/16" taller. the clearance is minimal, and you would have to put a cloth between the roof and the deck lid, as abrasion is possible over bumps.

However, due to the nature of the material used I would STRONGLY discourage doing so as you are risking damage that may not be repairable.

This is one of the reasons I decided to make a shipping box that can be used for storage.

It is slightly heaver than a stock top, but within 2 lbs.
Mikey914
PMs sent to all so far.

-Mark
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 22 2010, 01:38 AM) *

PMs sent to all so far.

-Mark

I'm in for the first run - thanks Mark - you ROCK!
dflesburg
sweet.
hot_shoe914
This is going to make an awesome b'day present! piratenanner.gif
Mikey914
At this point it looks like I have the 10 sold out. I'm waiting for some checks to come in to confirm, so I'm going to let the dust settle here to see if anyone drops out. If there is any drops I'll post here.

I do plan to do a group buy for those that may not make it on this run. The idea is that this is a proving run and if there are any unexpected expenses I eat them on this run, and I may have to adjust the price acordingly. With that being said, I'm not anticipating there will be any, but sometimes you don't know until you go into full production.
SGB
BTW, I believe he also makes those cool deck rails in his avatar...

So Mark, when you bought a 914, did you think it would lead to this?
Mikey914
QUOTE(SGB @ Dec 23 2010, 12:29 PM) *

BTW, I believe he also makes those cool deck rails in his avatar...

So Mark, when you bought a 914, did you think it would lead to this?

Not really. My first was back in 85, it wasn't until I started assembling a father son project with Mikey (Mikey914) , that this all kind of came together. It's actually more of a sickness than a hobby at this point. But, I like it, and it keeps me out of trouble (kind of).

I do also provide rail packages for residential and commercial projects all over the mainland and Hawaii. My specialty is component based aluminum railing that is pre-finished and assembles on-site for a perfect fit, and allows for site adjustment for some variation. Glass infill is most popular, with stainless cable the next most popular. I deal mostly with contractors, but can also work directly with home owners, if they intend to install themselves. If they have some basic carpentry skills it can be accomplished fairy easily. The website is DIYRailing.com.

Here's a few better pictures - Note the posts are mounted directly on the corner of the deck. Most railings require a double post.
-Mark
Mikey914
One more shameless plug
Rleog
Whew! Beautiful view.
Mikey914
Yes a rare nice sunny day on the Oregon coast. The house sits on the edge of a cliff about 400' elevation. Really nice place when it's done, I plan to go back and take a few more pictures for the website later.
racerbvd
My 76 looks good with a lexan top, and it would be nice to have one that I didn't have to worry about "peeling" away at speeds (happened to a friend's 911 with a "Sara",) and I too had one on my at the time targa, and it too was coming appart yikes.gif
Mikey914
Here's the update on payments recieved
R Heinonen
J Hoyland
R Ramirez
R Beckman
R Goulet
I have been told that there are 4 other payments inbound, possibly 5. I will know by the end of the week if there is one still available.
-Mark
craig downs
If you have a spot open up I would like to fill it. If not I'll wait for the next round.
Awesome piece
Mikey914
QUOTE(craig downs @ Dec 28 2010, 11:51 PM) *

If you have a spot open up I would like to fill it. If not I'll wait for the next round.
Awesome piece

Craig,
You are #1 on the standby list, I think your odds are good, but I will not know for sure until the end of the week.

Thanks,
mark
craig downs
Great
Thanks Mark
914junkie
Nice work! Those are so cool! drooley.gif I can't afford one right now but I hope you continue to make them and I can get in on the next run. I'm just north of ya in Vancouver, WA. I'd love to swing by sometime and take a look at one up close if that's a possibility. Paul.
Mikey914
As soon as I get these completed I'll be doing a group buy, I just needed a limited run to get the production under control. These will be issued with a serial number and the boxes will be ready next week. So more pictures soon.
HaraldD
Hello,

two questions.
Does it fit to earlier car`s? (i have a 70)
And - what do you think are the shipping cost`s to germany?

Thanks a lot!

Harald
StratPlayer
Put me on the list on the next run mikey..... thxs
Mikey914
Updated list
R Heinonen
J Hoyland
R Ramirez
R Beckman
R Goulet
D Bryson
B McClung
Mikey914
QUOTE(HaraldD @ Dec 30 2010, 10:28 AM) *

Hello,

two questions.
Does it fit to earlier car`s? (i have a 70)
And - what do you think are the shipping cost`s to germany?

Thanks a lot!

Harald

Yes, and I can;t tell you for sure until I have the crates build this next week, as they are a dimensional weight charge, not actual as they are not that heavy.
-Mark
PS PM me you zip code and I'll look it up once I finalize the size.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 2 2011, 12:20 AM) *

Updated list
R Heinonen
J Hoyland
R Ramirez
R Beckman
R Goulet
D Bryson
B McClung

Does this mean I can get in on the first run of 10? How much should I PayPal you if so?
racerbvd
How beer.gif
Rod
Hello hello!!

I haven't checked back on this in a while and I now see they are available!! Very interested in one as I always have been, but now is not an ideal time as we are expecting our first baby so I have a lot of expense right now! New car, all the baby stuff, just extended the house etc. So I'll skip this round of ten that it looks like you have now filled, but I'll be on the next group buy please - just please let me know shipping to GU10 5BX in the UK on top.

Best, Rod.
Mikey914
Updated list
R Heinonen
J Hoyland
R Ramirez
R Beckman
R Goulet
D Bryson
B McClung
Just got 2 in today
T Lui
Reimer
I'm going to give the last party another day and then will open up the spot

I plan to open up a group buy on these after I have more of these out there. I thing when you see these they will sell themselves. Also as not all the costs have been fully solidified, it's an educated guess as to what I can see these for. I want to keep the cost down so more people can afford them, but I don't want to loose my a$$. I think I've got it dialed in on the costs, but you don't know until you do it. This is why I wanted a limited run. I hope that things will allow me to produce these on a better time table than stated, but I needed to build in some "fudge" as there allways seems to be something that takes longer that you would think.

SO, after this run is complete, I will open up the group buy. If you are interested plese chime in on this thread, and I'll forward the info at that time to those on the thread 1st. in the order thay have responded.

I'm starting on the crate tomorrow and should have pictures in the evenig if all goes well.
-Mark
DanT
Mark, please put me on the list as interested in the next group buy on these biggrin.gif
Mikey914
Updated list
R Heinonen
J Hoyland
R Ramirez
R Beckman
R Goulet
D Bryson
B McClung
T Lui
Reimer
M Moorman

Also pictures of the crate. May use more foam and a few larger boards. Will be using door hinges with 4 latches, 2 on the top, one on each side. The crate cost for those that didn't get in on the 1st run may go up slightly, and I may ship in a velor bag.
Mikey914
Two more
tommy69
Hai
Very nice
How much cost it completly to send it to germany?
Greeting
Thomas
montoya 73 2.0
Mark, Put me on the list. Thanks.
bigkensteele
Count me in on the next opportunity.
Mikey914
I'm working on the shipping for these at it's current size it's oversize and costs more than it should. I'm shopping freight rates to try to get this at a reasonable cost. Internationally, I will need to use a freight forwarder, and will be looking at several options right now. I'll let you know more when I have the details worked out.
dflesburg
WUNDERBAR!!!
racerbvd
Very nice!!!!
SCV
These tops look awesome, and I'll definitely be saving for one. Keep up the excellent work, Mikey914.
JeffBowlsby
Whats protecting the edges of the top from hitting the perimeter frame of the crate? Shouldn't the crate be wider to allow a foam spacer to protect all 4 edges?
Mikey914
The way I've set this up the foam compresses in the middle to hold the roof, and the edges compress down so the roof gets wedged into the foan as it's compressed. I may add a litttle foam to the outside edge ad insurrance, butthis set up hold the roof well and isn't putting too much pressure on the roof. There is about 1/2" all the way around. I would like more, but I tried to build this to a minimal size to reduce shipping costs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.