Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NEW 914 bumpers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
siverson
> you can cut your own hole

That's it! I'll just keep a dremel with my tow hook so the first time I slide into that snow bank in San Diego, I'll just cut the hole! smile.gif

-Steve
Niklas
I have ordered bumpers for my 914 in stainless from Harrington group.
They are on the way from Vietnam with DHL.
Anyone want pictures of them ?

smile.gif

Niklas
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Niklas @ Aug 4 2010, 02:16 PM) *

I have ordered bumpers for my 914 in stainless from Group Harrington.

smile.gif

Niklas

OH YEAH!

And your opinion as to fit and finish. Thanks in advance!!
Tom_T
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Aug 4 2010, 12:18 PM) *

QUOTE(Niklas @ Aug 4 2010, 02:16 PM) *

I have ordered bumpers for my 914 in stainless from Group Harrington.

smile.gif

Niklas

OH YEAH!

And your opinion as to fit and finish. Thanks in advance!!

agree.gif ..... Thanx Niklas!
Niklas
Hello!

Got my stainless steel bumpers today.
Absolutely perfect!!!
Looks exactly like chrome.
Perfect finish!!
The freight was 2,5 days from Vietnam to my office with DHL.

I can recommend them.

I will order bumpers in stainless steel for my other cars.

smile.gif

Niklas
Niklas
If you want pictures what do you want to see ?
The bumpers are so shine it is hard to take photos of them.

Niklas
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Niklas @ Aug 5 2010, 10:34 AM) *

If you want pictures what do you want to see ?
The bumpers are so shine it is hard to take photos of them.

Niklas

Hi Niklas,

Instead of the usual straight on photos - their website did that pretty good - a picture looking down the long side to see if there are any waves in the finish. You might can tell just from you looking and telling us that as well. A wavy - rippled finish would not be ideal.

Thanks again!
Niklas
They are perfect finish.
Absolutely no "waves" Looks exactly like chrome.
The rubberparts fits perfect.
The chrome parts for my foglight fits perfect.

They looks amazing!!!

Can not show them on my car because it is not finished.

Regards

Niklas

Kansas 914
QUOTE(Niklas @ Aug 5 2010, 04:05 PM) *

They are perfect finish.

They looks amazing!!!

Regards

Niklas

Thank you Niklas - this is very encouraging!! Now go to bed it is almost midnight in Sweden!
Niklas
I am already in bed.....with the computer
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Niklas @ Aug 5 2010, 04:13 PM) *

I am already in bed.....with the computer

biggrin.gif
siverson
Nice, I can't wait to get mine. I was told they will ship out one week from tomorrow (delayed due to my "no holes" request).

-Steve
Kansas 914
QUOTE(siverson @ Aug 5 2010, 04:44 PM) *

Nice, I can't wait to get mine. I was told they will ship out one week from tomorrow (delayed due to my "no holes" request).

-Steve

Excellent. Your set is the acid test for me - as I want a "no holes" set as well.

popcorn[1].gif
charliew
One good thing is if they do get bent you can straighten them out and rebuff them. Course they will be heavier.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Niklas @ Aug 5 2010, 02:05 PM) *

They are perfect finish.

They looks amazing!!!

Regards

Niklas

Hi Niklas - I think what we all need to see in pix is how they fit the 914 body shape at the L & R sides/fenders, along the top/hood-Lights/eyebrows, bottom/valance, & rubber top pad, fog light/horn grills, etc. & same at the rear bumper top, bottom, sides & top pad. .... when you get a chance to do so of course.

It's okay if your 914 isn't done yet, so long as you can shoot the fit shots for them at the F & R mounted on your 914. We all understand the idea of "works in progress"! biggrin.gif
siverson
A 1-2 week delay on my bumpers. Info below for those following the play-by-play.

-Steve

-----

Ok, thanks for the update. And I agree it makes sense to make new bumpers, rather than weld holes closed.

-Steve

-----

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 8:26 PM, Harrington Bumpers <shine@groupharrington.com> wrote:

Hi Steve,

Unfortunately, we need some more time to process your bumpers. I’m perfectly aware that you’ve waited quite a long time already, and I’m pushing the production to have your bumpers shipped as soon as possible.

Despise having holed bumpers in stock, we decided to launch the production of a new batch instead of filling and polishing the holes. Welding the holes doesn’t give results up to our quality standards.

We have 5 orders of Porsche 914 bumpers which require the bumpers come without number plate holes and rear tow hook hole. Please understand that our policy focus not only in delivery time but also the quality of the bumpers.

The first set of the new batch will be ready for shipping within next week. I have booked the bumpers for your order. I will send you a tracking number right after shipping.

I hope this delay is not source of any inconvenience for you.

Feel free to contact me if you have any question.

Best regards,

Thy

-----

Sent: Saturday, August 14, 2010 5:01 AM

To: Harrington Bumpers
Subject: Re: Porsche 914 bumpers

Hi,

Any update on the bumpers?

Thanks,
Steve

-----

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 8:51 PM, Harrington Bumpers <shine@groupharrington.com> wrote:
Hello Steve,

I have just had a conversation with our Production Manager, your bumpers will finished the end of next week (13th of August). I will send you a tracking number.

Thank you and best regards,

Thy
Niklas
I am sure you will be very pleased with your new bumpers.

Niklas
siverson
Bumpers shipped out yesterday via DHL... Stay tuned... smile.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(siverson @ Aug 21 2010, 01:48 PM) *

Bumpers shipped out yesterday via DHL... Stay tuned... smile.gif

popcorn[1].gif
siverson
Should I unpack them? smile.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

-Steve

Michael N
Yes!
Brent
Whats taking so long? piratenanner.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(siverson @ Aug 24 2010, 01:47 PM) *

Should I unpack them? smile.gif

-Steve

You're killing me............... chair.gif
jim_hoyland
popcorn[1].gif Gotta see these beauties..... smile.gif
Cambo
Umm....you see.....what ya do is.......open up that there card board box.....and ummm.......TAKE SOME PICTURES!!!!!! headbang.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Cambo @ Aug 24 2010, 02:32 PM) *

Umm....you see.....what ya do is.......open up that there card board box.....and ummm.......TAKE SOME PICTURES!!!!!! headbang.gif

agree.gif thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Mark Henry
What are ya....chicken! ricola.gif
Kansas 914
Ah - who wants to see pictures of brand new 914 bumpers anyway? I mean they are only solid stainless steel shiny new and....

Okay - I do.....
Mark Henry
siverson we can see you looking at this thread!...post the damn pics! stick.gif
siverson
smile.gif

Sorry for the tease... I will when I get back home tonight. Probably 10pm-11pm or so.

-Steve
siverson
And the photos...

In summary: the bumpers look *great* and I'm happy with the purchase. I think the "no holes" look will really clean up the front end too. I haven't mounted them yet but I have no doubt that the dimensions and shape are exactly the same as originals - they got all the small details rights.

I've never seen a new OEM chrome bumper, so these are probably the nicest bumpers I've seen. Restored, re-chromed bumpers usually have some small imperfections or small waviness, and these are nearly perfect (but have there own imperfections too).

Having said that, I'd probably give these bumpers a 9.914 / 10.000. While the stainless steel looks *great* and it's almost a perfect mirror surface, if you look very closely you can see small polish/brush marks that wouldn't be there on chrome. So you can tell a difference between these and chrome bumpers, but you really need to get right on top of the bumper and at the right angle to see the polishing. I tried to capture this in the photo.

The other problem I had was that the bumpers are so straight and so reflective that they show every small problem, including finger prints and streaks from cleaning. Some of the marks/streaks in the photos are just from my quick cleaning job.

Anyways, on to the photos. I'll have the front on my red car this week, and the rear on my orange car in a couple weeks (almost done at the body shop). I already have a *really* nice re-chromed front bumper on my red car (but it has holes) so it will be interesting to see them side-by-side in sunlight.

-Steve

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
siverson
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
siverson

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
siverson
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
siverson

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
siverson
Oh - and check out the welds for the "fog light grill holder" - beautiful!

(And btw, I made the butcher block kitchen island too, but never shared the photos here. smile.gif ).
johannes
They look awesome ! ...
Kansas 914
Steve,

Thanks so much for the detailed pictures. I know that took some time.

I want those exact bumpers - the "no holes siverson special version". Is there someone there I should correspond with to get those?

Thanks again - I am sold.
rick 918-S
drooley.gif Dang! I need to save up for those! I need at least two sets. Nice detail. It will be interesting to see how they fit. They look perfect.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Aug 25 2010, 08:30 AM) *

drooley.gif Dang! I need to save up for those! I need at least two sets. Nice detail. It will be interesting to see how they fit. They look perfect.

Rick - you can make anything fit and look like it came from the factory - I am the knucklehead that needs them to be right...
siverson
This photo shows the polishing marks pretty well:

IPB Image

-Steve
rick 918-S
QUOTE(siverson @ Aug 25 2010, 10:15 AM) *

IPB Image

-Steve

Looks like chrome with patina from cleaning bug guts off with a plastic scrubber for years. I like it.
underthetire
QUOTE(siverson @ Aug 25 2010, 08:15 AM) *

IPB Image

-Steve

A little hand work with semichrome and those would be gone. Beautiful bumpers !
Tom_T
Steve - I love the artistic touch of the fruit plate! biggrin.gif
.... you're a true artiste! lol-2.gif

Seriously - great job on the butcher block! smilie_pokal.gif

So now the next true test will be the fitment on mounting to the car, top pads to the bumpers & how the gaps & alignment to fenders & other panels look compared to the OE Chromies. Fortunately you'll have the OE of each on one of your 914s for direct comparison. Can't wait to hear/see how that works.

I agree with underthetire, the polishing swirls should polish out with a fine chrome polish by hand &/or polishing/buffing wheel, which will be easier to do off the 914s before you mount them.

Are you going to be around & have them mounted by the Miramar Airshow weekend (1st weekend in Oct.)?

My son & I will be coming down for the airshow & I'd like to see how the look/fit in person, before pulling the trigger (with holes & added holes/brackets for the front tits in my case).
Niklas
Hi!

Yes they are perfect.

Maybe we can make them to make other parts?

Maybe they can make the foglight parts or the rubberparts for the bumpers?

Greeting from sweden.

Niklas
Tom_T
QUOTE(Niklas @ Aug 25 2010, 09:15 AM) *

Hi!

Yes they are perfect.

Maybe we can make them to make other parts?

Maybe they can make the foglight parts or the rubberparts for the bumpers?

Greeting from sweden.

Niklas

Hey Niklas,

Mikey914 (Mark W.) in the member vendor section here makes the rubber bumper top pads (with better rubber & non-rusting stainless steel), will be reproducing the F&R rubber bumper gaurds (has posted some prototypes already), as well as many reproduction body seals, etc. (also at 914rubber.com - but use this site because he gives us members a price break). Look him up in the member vendors section here, & he has several posts there for different parts, as well as one which lists most of his rubber body seals/gaskets, & even the 914rubber.com website doesn't list it all either. Ask Mark for a complete list of his products.

His bumper top pads are indistinguishable from the OEM ones, cost a little less than the last price OEM, & will last longer due to better materials. The yellow 72 914 in the Oct/Nov 2009 Car of the Month (COTM) nailed thread here has one on the front & OEM rear - but I couldn't tell the difference from OEM seeing them in person! blink.gif
dem
Who else is interested in a set but hasn't placed an order? Maybe we could haggle that price down a bit more with an order of 10 sets or something.
Tom_T
QUOTE(dem @ Aug 25 2010, 10:36 AM) *

Who else is interested in a set but hasn't placed an order? Maybe we could haggle that price down a bit more with an order of 10 sets or something.

Well, I haven't yet, but then mine may not help much on a group buy since the front will be a "special order" for 73-74 type, & since they quoted a $50 add-on to do the front with the extra holes & back braces for the 73 front tits I'll be doing for my resto. My rear one would be per their standard 71-73 rear with tow plug hole. I've been waiting to see Steve'son his 914s before I pull the trigger.

If I see Steve's mounted & they're excellent, then you can count me as one if they'll do the discount + upcharge & maybe credit that upcharge out as below. I'll also want to pay them directly on my Visa, for the purchase protection & some airline points! biggrin.gif

I also need to send them a 73 F bumper for a pattern (they don't have one in the UK nor Vietnam where theirs are mfgd.), so I was going to offer a trade of the core OEM bumper for the upcharge on my set, then they can offer it as an option to USA 73-74 914s (about 40% of the total production IIRC).

Anyone else wanting them in the 73-74 front style with tits? confused24.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(dem @ Aug 25 2010, 12:36 PM) *

I would be good for a set - but like Steve - I want "no holes". But sure - use me as a negotiating tool if need be.
smg914
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.