Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: r/c Fuchs wheel project progress thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
rick 918-S
That thing was crankin! yikes.gif biggrin.gif
RJMII
I switched from one cad cam software to another, and from my mini mill to a HAAS VF2.

a friend on the other side of the mountain let me come play for a day, so provided I had a learning curve from completely switching setups, I'd say i had a pretty productive trip.

I'll be back over there in a week or so. I managed to get the code down to 12 minutes for the front side of the wheel. smile.gif

I think the last step I need to do is adjust the X/Y tolerences for the final finishing pass with the .125" ball nose, and the fronts will be perfected for the machining center.

pictures:

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
Cairo94507
Very cool.
rick 918-S
Very COOL Jim! drooley.gif Any chance I'll get to run my car this summer? Those wheels are bitchin! first.gif
RJMII
I'd say the chances are very likely. smile.gif

BuddyV
I don't even HAVE an RC car.... why do I want to buy a set of wheels???

LOL!

..... I'll support excellent innovation. Sign me up for a set beer.gif

Nice work.
RJMII
major progress. smile.gif

IPB Image
rick 918-S
QUOTE(RJMII @ Mar 29 2012, 07:31 PM) *

major progress. smile.gif

IPB Image

rocking nana.gif monkeydance.gif
RJMII
IPB Image
underthetire
aktion035.gif

Glad you got them and your machine all worked out! Good luck on your new venture!
RJMII
thanks, Jeff!

I did this batch on the HAAS... I love my new job!!
underthetire
Wonder how fast our little mori would make those parts? 40,000 rpm and capable of 1000ipm in full 3d mode, holding 1micron tolerance. Fast little die mold machine.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(RJMII @ Mar 29 2012, 07:42 PM) *

thanks, Jeff!

I did this batch on the HAAS... I love my new job!!

So you got the new job? beerchug.gif
RJMII
QUOTE(underthetire @ Mar 29 2012, 07:13 PM) *

Wonder how fast our little mori would make those parts? 40,000 rpm and capable of 1000ipm in full 3d mode, holding 1micron tolerance. Fast little die mold machine.

Want to find out?

Does the Mori have an auto tool changer? That one sounds like it could be fun to play with... The HAAS only goes 7500rpm spindle speed... but you already knew that.

We hit one of the wheels at 1100ipm with the 3/8 endmill for roughing and made a nice aluminum 'sculpture'. That was chalked up as a 'learning experience' for editing code on the mill monitor. Somehow the line that said 'F35.5234' got deleted while taking out a 4 minute session of the bit spiraling above the part and not cutting anything.

@Rick;

Yeah! Thank you. smile.gif I am stoked! The owner is a buddy that worked with my dad when I was in high school. He is Very easy to work with and lets me make my own 914 parts. biggrin.gif (for the real car, not just the little ones)
underthetire
Sure does, 20 tool. HSK tooling, 10GB program storage, ESPRIT 3D cad/Cam software built in, high speed contour control, conversational programming, twin motors and ballscrews for each axis, twin SONY .01Um scales on each axis. Only 5.9" travel in x and y axis. Tiny smoking fast machine. If you want, send me the HAAS code and i'll throw it in the simulator of the control and see how fast it'll go.

BTW, this tiny machine was more than a nice house in most parts of the country!
RJMII
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 9 2010, 10:27 AM) *

Yer gonna be selling singles, right? cool_shades.gif

http://www.smalltowngeek.net/?page_id=912

for a full set, add 4 to the cart. smile.gif

they are shipping this week.
RJMII
what I get to work with now. smile.gif

the doors slide open and my mini mill will fit in the cutting area that I get to work with now.
underthetire
Fairly new machine! I like that control, it's pretty easy. We ordered a haas, no tool changer. Ripped the spindle out of it, spindle motor, enclosure, modified it a wee bit and am now waiting for the 400 watt laser to get here.
RJMII
can you email pics of the spindle motor and spindle? to my jimmc914 (at) gmail account... major eye candy. lol

what kind of laser are you installing in place of it?
somewhere down the road I'd like to play with that sort of thing on my router table. I've got some links for later that have DIY style stuff to convert it.
underthetire
It's a rofin 400 watt. Fiber for cutting and welding applications. Cost about 185k ! I can't take pics at work, sorry.
rick 918-S
Damn Jim! those photos on your web page are bitchin!
nsr-jamie
Wow!! Cool !! Sounds like things are going much better now...we haven't talked in a while..I will send you a PM.
RJMII

Little white alien:

IPB Image

box almost ready to distribute: (the lathe work hasn't been done)

IPB Image

Getting artisitic:

http://www.smalltowngeek.net/wp-content/up...4-39-00_259.jpg
rick 918-S
QUOTE(RJMII @ Apr 8 2012, 07:14 PM) *

Little white alien:

IPB Image

box almost ready to distribute: (the lathe work hasn't been done)

IPB Image

Getting artisitic:

http://www.smalltowngeek.net/wp-content/up...4-39-00_259.jpg

Those things look sooo deep!
nsr-jamie
Is Jim still around? So the wheels are complete and ready to be shipped? Jim can you get back to me please. I have tried to contact you with no luck, thanks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.