Full Version: r/c Fuchs wheel project progress thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
RJMII
zoomed in
rick 918-S
That's cool! Build em and they will sell! assimilate.gif
VaccaRabite
I am looking forward to seeing the initial maps for the cookie cutters!

zach
RJMII
beginnings of COOKIES!

underthetire
Man, I just read some of your times for cutting. We need to find you a CNC lathe bad !
rick 918-S
The cookies look diffecult... wacko.gif
RJMII
Man, I just read some of your times for cutting. We need to find you a CNC lathe bad !

I keep looking for used mini lathes that I can convert. PM or email if you find something?

The cookies look diffecult...

They are proving to be a challenge. smile.gif

Now to get back to finishing my last run of emblems. I've about got my machine modified with the new controller, drivers, and more voltage. Hopefully this helps drop my machining times.
RJMII
as promised;

picture of prototype FOUR! starting to go 3d. smile.gif It looks cooler in person, IMHO.
RJMII
QUOTE(underthetire @ Aug 9 2010, 01:56 PM) *

The new 42ipm rapids are helping a ton, along with adjusting my cutting styles. I learned a lot playing with the new setup, trying different things. I'm able to hit 23ipm for a feed rate if I use just the right amount of bit; before I was going full bit width. :S I could hit faster rapids if I were to go full stepping instead of half, but I like it where it is at and probably won't gain much with the smaller movements that primarily rely on the acceleration capabilities of the steppers.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(RJMII @ Sep 21 2010, 08:41 PM) *

as promised;

picture of prototype FOUR! starting to go 3d. smile.gif It looks cooler in person, IMHO.

That's really starting to look good!
RJMII
My health has picked back up, I am stoked! I get to start working on wheels and emblems again this week.

I think I've pretty much got the code issues resolved and need to run another prototype to finalize the notion that they are ready.

The bit wasn't fitting between the lip of the wheel and the petals, and was causing high spots.

nsr-jamie
Hi Jim, glad you are better and back to work on those cool parts.....looking forward to seeing them in person and those cool GT logos too.

Do you have any access to stereolithiography equipment or rapid prototyping 3D printers? If so, it might be a lot easier to manufacture small amounts of the wheels and be a lot cheaper too.
RJMII
Jamie, thank you!

No, I don't. If I went that route, they wouldn't be billet aluminum. wink.gif
RJMII
Look, a pile of squared circles!

and a lurry picture of prototype number five next to number four. The differences are the holes in the webbing, the petals are separated from the lip and have more definition, and the petals have a larger corner radius along the outer edge that makes them more rounded and smooth.
RJMII
I ran several different sets of code on number five to varying depths, fixing screw ups along the way.
rick 918-S
That looks bitchin Jim. aktion035.gif Keep at it! smilie_pokal.gif
jetboy
wow. thats some nice progress.
BKLA
All that hard work is paying off!!

Great job!!!!!
RJMII
New addition to my wheel making!

The 3 Jaw chuck bolts directly to my mill bed, or the rotary table. It holds the wheels in place MUCH more securely than the little vise I was using.

The rotary table also has a new addition; a stepper motor! Now it needs wired and the backlash taken out.
rick 918-S
New tools are the best!
RJMII
here is prototype number 7. smile.gif I'm getting the back sides of the wheels figured out, and have the fronts pretty much wrapped up. The only thing missing is the hole for the bolt to hold it onto the car.
BKLA
Wow! Looking great!!!
rick 918-S
That's set to kill! drooley.gif
RJMII
4th axis and tailstock bolted to the mill. I should be able to work on the code for the area the tire mounts in on the outside of the wheel now.
RJMII
We moved last month, and my brother was kind enough to spend the day on one of his weekends off to help me relocate all of my machining equpment from my dad's shop to the garage that is basically on the other side of the wall from my living room. My CNC mill is less that 30 foot from my couch that I lounge on while healing and resting. smile.gif Things are getting easier and looking up for me.
RJMII
a close up of the tool path on my EMC/linux box.

the red lines are the ones that are done for this particular wheel.
RJMII
This is the beginning of the pile of blanks that are ready for the above pictured tool path.
RJMII
This is the wheel that was cut out from the above pictured tool path.
Cairo94507
Wow! That is crazy cool. How cool would it be to have one big enough for a paper weight on your desk?
RJMII
and here is another one that had a couple of glitches on the back side, and the 3 jaw chuck was .030" off center for the face. It's now a paperweight somewhere else w/out the tire on it.
RJMII
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 21 2011, 04:58 PM) *

Wow! That is crazy cool. How cool would it be to have one big enough for a paper weight on your desk?

Thanks, man! How cool is it that you posted that right as I was posting that the last one I made IS a paperweight somewhere!
KELTY360
That's cool Jim. So you've got a house with attached garage now? Movin' on up!
RJMII
got some more done. smile.gif
The back of the wheel is getting some minor adjustments and should be good here soon.
Click to view attachment

The front is ready to go.

Click to view attachment

and here is what it looks like on the car.

Click to view attachment

RJMII
Working on the different finishes using some of the screw ups for test pieces.
AZ914
That is what I call DEEP DISH.
rick 918-S
How are my wheels coming? The last photos look bitchin! beerchug.gif
RJMII
My mill fried again (in a different spot) and I had to rebuild it. sad.gif

the stack of wheels blanks are sitting waiting to be done. The mill is back up and running with the 4th axis.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(RJMII @ Aug 23 2011, 08:52 AM) *

My mill fried again (in a different spot) and I had to rebuild it. sad.gif

the stack of wheels blanks are sitting waiting to be done. The mill is back up and running with the 4th axis.

They sure look cool!
RJMII
thanks!

This is my project for the next couple of days while I get drawings done for other projects I am catching up on.
rohar
Hey RMJII, it might be time to build a small foundry. I'm thinking a LOT of the work could be cast into these pieces faster than milled. Then throw them on the mill for finishing.

I'd add pics of mine, but it's in storage while we try and sell the house. Here's one similar:

IPB Image

About $50 in supplies to build the thing and you'll never toss out another beer can again.

http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com
RJMII
And I"ll probably stop losing so much money on tossed wheel blanks.

I swear I've been going into debt trying to make these.
nsr-jamie
Dont throw out those ones that didn't make the quality control inspection...they could always be used for something else for example a key chain or fob, paper weight holder or something cool if you can come up with an interesting idea. I scrapped many pieces and parts many years ago when I was learning about CNC machining and programing. Thats how you learn from it, you learn from your mistakes and try not to do them again. Keep up the good work

Jamie
rohar
QUOTE(RJMII @ Aug 23 2011, 07:31 AM) *

And I"ll probably stop losing so much money on tossed wheel blanks.

I swear I've been going into debt trying to make these.

I'm thinking with a couple of flower pots, a mapp torch, some pearlite and a muffin tin, you could come pretty close to recasting that aluminum into a new blank.
rick 918-S
I had to bump this thread one more time before the server goes off line just because this is one of the coolest projects currently being worked on by any of the jack standers here. icon_bump.gif

Jim, If you need a couple more bucks for my wheels let me know. This has got to be seriously hard to do. I can't remember what the group buy price was but I don't think it was enough considering the mill problems and learning curve. I can see you have the concept. Keep at it. assimilate.gif

EDIT: Oh, just don't tell Sandy. Like I said I don't remember what the price of the wheels were but I do remember her reaction when she found out what she just paid for.. slap.gif for a toy? wheels for a toy? stick.gif It was really funny. happy11.gif
RJMII
Rick, I'd be happy to accept donations at this point. smile.gif I'm not going to put any $number on it because I honestly don't think it would be fair. (Very appreciated, though; that it would be. and I wish the Star Wars movies were on Blu Ray already!)
rick 918-S
PM me your address before Sir Andy shuts us down and I will send a money order. I can't ask the boss for pay pal service for this one. biggrin.gif
VaccaRabite
Same with Rick. let me know what you need. Also, don't bother with making me cookies. Fuchs will be totally fine.

Zach
RJMII
Wow, thank you guys! Your words of encouragement were just what I needed this week.

I took the rest of the aluminum stock/stick I am using and went to the machine shop that a friend owns and cut it down for another 6 or 7 sets.

The mill is set up perfect right now for getting the blanks all cut to a uniform size, and I modified my dial indicator and a c-clamp so I can center the end mill to the a-axis. pictures forthcoming. smile.gif
underthetire
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Aug 23 2011, 08:33 AM) *

Dont throw out those ones that didn't make the quality control inspection...they could always be used for something else for example a key chain or fob, paper weight holder or something cool if you can come up with an interesting idea. I scrapped many pieces and parts many years ago when I was learning about CNC machining and programing. Thats how you learn from it, you learn from your mistakes and try not to do them again. Keep up the good work

Jamie

agree.gif

That's not an exactly easy learning piece to make either. I remember a very seasoned machinist recently scrapping a 30 thousand dollar piece of material. We've all been there. I've scrapped my share back in the day as well, and that was a proven machine! Mueller just scrapped some parts off his recently retrofitted Bridgeport as well. Think of it as buying books for one class that you will never need again.
RJMII
This should help find center. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.