Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: r/c Fuchs wheel project progress thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
RJMII
Edit:

link to purchase

please let PM me if there are problems with the store...

-Jim

PS: Final version picture:

IPB Image

I now have two cars here, and I've got the measurements! I am ready to start cutting out the wheels. It will be easiest to do them if I do a larger run.

The process for cutting out the wheels requires me to set up my CNC mill in multiple configurations.

26 or 31mm widths. The tires these are designed for are the HPI vintage tires. If you'd like to run a different set, PM me or post here.

Here are a couple of teaser pics. The chunk missing was a glitch in the code, but has been resolved in the PC simulations.
GeorgeRud
Those should look great! Will these fit the Tamiya chassis? I have one that I hope to use for my 914 RC body!
RJMII
George, YES! I am building them to fit the Tamiya chassis. smile.gif
rick 918-S
I'll pull a front and rear off my car and send them to you. These are the closest I could find in a 5 spoke pattern. These are two different sizes.

I have your address.
RJMII
Rick, which chassis are you running? Do you want two of each size?
rick 918-S
QUOTE(RJMII @ Jul 9 2010, 12:54 AM) *

Rick, which chassis are you running? Do you want two of each size?

I have the Tamiya. It was a VW Beetle bodied car. Yes, I think I have a thread here someplace about when I bought these. I have the sizes and source in the thread.
rick 918-S
Here's the link. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=97857&hl=
RJMII
That would be the same car I've got on the way, then, the VW bug from Tamiya. smile.gif It's the M04L chassis if it is rear wheel drive.

The design of these wheels takes an average of the two back spacings and makes them the width of the front tire. I would be more than happy to make the staggered set for you. smile.gif Let me know when the package is on the way so that I can keep an eye out and let you know when it safely arrives... etc etc
BKLA
Jim -

The wheels that Rick is asking about are the same ones I sent you for scanning. His are chrome where the ones I sent are the brushed look.

Are you making different offsets for front and rear using a "standard" 26mm tire? or are you making the rears wider and planning to use the HPI "vintage" 31mm tires?

Click to view attachment
RJMII
Brett,

I will do them however Rick would like them for his set.

The backspacing can be easily changed to match; I'm waiting until I see how it looks on your car before deciding which measurements to use for offset. The wheel I'm sending to you has a backspacing measurement that is average (minus .035"ish) of the two you sent to me. The narrow wheel had .437" backspacing, and the wide wheel had .675" backspacing; this one that is pictured has .495" backspacing. If it is sticking out too far, I can shave it down a little bit more.

Where's a good place to get some tires for myself? My bug is on the way... (and I'm still waiting for a reply to my PM from the kind individual that offered to sell me a 914 body)
Zimms
QUOTE(BKLA @ Jul 9 2010, 02:25 AM) *

Jim -

The wheels that Rick is asking about are the same ones I sent you for scanning. His are chrome where the ones I sent are the brushed look.

Are you making different offsets for front and rear using a "standard" 26mm tire? or are you making the rears wider and planning to use the HPI "vintage" 31mm tires?

Click to view attachment

Be careful with the HPI tires. They have a special bead used to make them compatible with a locking mechinism on their wheeels. From their website when you click on #4797 vintage tire:

"New from HPI Racing are Vintage Racing Tires. Available in 26mm and 31mm widths, these tires are specially designed for use with our Vintage wheels and bodies. The tread pattern is a symmetrical design that recreates the popular racing tires from the 60’s, and the outer sidewall has a high profile for maximum realism. Molded with our popular D compound rubber and supplied with single-piece donut inner foams, these tires deliver excellent handling on parking lot surfaces.

Because of the special sidewall construction, these tires must be used on HPI Vintage Wheels. "

Unless Rich is copying the HPI wheel bead, you could have a problem.

Linky to the tires
rick 918-S
I like that vintage tire that I have on the car. I will just send you the whole car Jim. Then you can test fit the tires and wheels on the car.
djm914-6
FYI: When I cut the wheel openings on Ricks car, I stayed close to the molded trim lines. My later cars have a more scale like wheel opening (lower). Make sure the wheels and tires stay well inside the body. When I run the Turbo twists from the Tamiya Boxster, it rubs like crazy in the front and sticks out in the rear. I'm sure other modelers would cut their new shells lower too if they could.
steveherman
I want a rc 914!!!
Where can i get one???

RICK... IF (big if) you WERE to sell yours how much would it be?
I am a firm believer in EVERYTHING has a price!!!
PM me if you prefer!!!
rick 918-S
QUOTE(steveherman @ Jul 9 2010, 08:42 AM) *

I want a rc 914!!!
Where can i get one???

PM me if you prefer!!!

This car was an award I received from the WRC. smilie_pokal.gif A Trophy. I'm very proud of it. Some things hold more meaning than money. rolleyes.gif
MoveQik
Jim,

Can I get just one wheel? I'll put it on a gold rope and wear it as a funky, fresh medallion. biggrin.gif
steveherman
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 9 2010, 10:11 AM) *

QUOTE(steveherman @ Jul 9 2010, 08:42 AM) *

I want a rc 914!!!
Where can i get one???

PM me if you prefer!!!

This car was an award I received from the WRC. smilie_pokal.gif A Trophy. I'm very proud of it. Some things hold more meaning than money. rolleyes.gif

so if i offered my real yellow 74 2.0 with fresh paint and newly reupholstered yellow plaid seats and fuchs ...
u would say no? screwy.gif LOL!!!!!!
See... everything has a price!!!!
RJMII
Be careful with the HPI tires. They have a special bead used to make them compatible with a locking mechinism on their wheeels. From their website when you click on #4797 vintage tire:

Thank you! I can copy the locking pattern. smile.gif I have it drawn up already to make sure the 31mm tires will be compatible.

I like that vintage tire that I have on the car. I will just send you the whole car Jim. Then you can test fit the tires and wheels on the car.

Okay, that would be great. Do you want them to fit the same as the ones on it, or would you like them moved in-board a little if possible?

FYI: When I cut the wheel openings on Ricks car, I stayed close to the molded trim lines. My later cars have a more scale like wheel opening (lower). Make sure the wheels and tires stay well inside the body. When I run the Turbo twists from the Tamiya Boxster, it rubs like crazy in the front and sticks out in the rear. I'm sure other modelers would cut their new shells lower too if they could.

Thank you, David!

I want a rc 914!!!
Where can i get one???

I can build one for you. PM me and we can talk options.

Jim,

Can I get just one wheel? I'll put it on a gold rope and wear it as a funky, fresh medallion.

I can make one that is the same thickness as the emblems you bought. But you HAVE to wear it to RRC.
McMark
Yer gonna be selling singles, right? cool_shades.gif
BKLA

I want a rc 914!!!
Where can i get one???

Air Boston has done some sweet paint jobs on the 914 shells. I have three.

- 2006 WCC Car painted like a beer and sponsored by GT Performance. (Silent auction winner - thanks to my son!)
- A yellow one painted similar to the "zonk"
- An orange one painted to match the Brumos car #58

Dave can paint it anyway you want.

Have jim build you one and have dave paint it!

http://www.airbostongraphics.com/914.htm

BTW -

It appears that the "M" chassis bodies (like the 914) will fit the HPI Cup Racer chassis - if I am reading the info posted on the HPI website correctly.

Might have to try and see!
BKLA
QUOTE(RJMII @ Jul 8 2010, 11:36 PM) *

Where's a good place to get some tires for myself? My bug is on the way... (and I'm still waiting for a reply to my PM from the kind individual that offered to sell me a 914 body)

Jim -

You can order wheels and tires right from HPI directly. Most of the local hobby shops don't stock the really cool stuff, just what sells the most!

Wheels:
http://www.hpiracing.com/hpiwheels/touring/

tires:
http://www.hpiracing.com/hpitires/touring/

Talk to Dave at Air Boston regarding bodies. He did a group buy a few months ago. I had him paint up my two... He does everything by hand and is meticulous!

RJMII
QUOTE(BKLA @ Jul 9 2010, 12:03 PM) *

I want a rc 914!!!
Where can i get one???

Air Boston has done some sweet paint jobs on the 914 shells. I have three.

- 2006 WCC Car painted like a beer and sponsored by GT Performance. (Silent auction winner - thanks to my son!)
- A yellow one painted similar to the "zonk"
- An orange one painted to match the Brumos car #58

Dave can paint it anyway you want.

Have jim build you one and have dave paint it!

BTW -

It appears that the "M" chassis bodies (like the 914) will fit the HPI Cup Racer chassis - if I am reading the info posted on the HPI website correctly.

agree.gif Dave does an awesome job at painting! He has got some serious talent and an eye for detail. smile.gif

Zimms
QUOTE(BKLA @ Jul 9 2010, 02:03 PM) *

BTW -

I was looking at that, and their wheelbase only goes to 225 mm. The Tamiya Long chassis goes to 240 ish, required for the 914 shell.
RJMII
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 9 2010, 10:27 AM) *

Yer gonna be selling singles, right? cool_shades.gif

Of course! If you want one that doesn't need to be fitted to a car, I can get to it sooner.

Another teaser pic of prototype number3:

ConeDodger
Here is my Air Boston Group Buy 914 Chassis. Made to match my car on autocross days. I would love a set of Fuchs for it. I might even buy two sets. If David ever does another group buy I might buy another and have him paint it... hmmm either Max Moritz or Brumos style...
RJMII
Rob, which chassis are you using? (that's a body... a very nice looking on at that. wink.gif )

What tires? the standard set with all 4 the same(26mm), or the staggered 26/31 setup?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(RJMII @ Jul 10 2010, 08:27 AM) *

Rob, which chassis are you using? (that's a body... a very nice looking on at that. wink.gif )

What tires? the standard set with all 4 the same(26mm), or the staggered 26/31 setup?

M04L... I have no tires on it right now. The chassis is on its way from Japan.

I would like the wheels to be RSR finish biggrin.gif Oh, and only one set for now... I just noticed your price and that is a little rich for something that will sit on the shelf for a while...
RJMII
Screen shot from the drawing for prototype #4.

I've been comparing this to the wheel on my car... it's getting closer to the real thing. See the rounded edges and the sloped lip? biggrin.gif
RJMII
After all night in the vibratory polisher being bashed and pounded on by walnut shells.

rick 918-S
I forgot to PM you. I'm crazy busy driving from the metro to the canadian border and home all last week... dry.gif My car was shipped. Should be there by Wednesday. I took out the Extra insurance. Considering I didn't purchase this and it was an award I have no idea what it's worth. I only insured it for $ 200.00 What do these cars cost, chassis, custom painted, custom wheels...etc... confused24.gif
RJMII
I'm looking forward to putting a set of wheels on your car! smile.gif Which method did you ship?

Here is a breakdown of these cars:
[url=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXRXV3&P=0]Donor Car
[/url]$239 + Shipping
914 Body shipped from Germany19,95 Euros + shipping to US. ($25.237 + shipping at current exchange rate)
31mm Rear tires$14.00
26 mm front tires$13.00
Fully custom paint job$55.00 (as starting point)

And you're adding the custom CNC billet aluminum wheels: $120 set of four.

rick 918-S
QUOTE(RJMII @ Jul 11 2010, 06:39 PM) *

I'm looking forward to putting a set of wheels on your car! smile.gif Which method did you ship?

Here is a breakdown of these cars:
[url=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXRXV3&P=0]Donor Car
[/url]$239 + Shipping
914 Body shipped from Germany19,95 Euros + shipping to US. ($25.237 + shipping at current exchange rate)
31mm Rear tires$14.00
26 mm front tires$13.00
Fully custom paint job$55.00 (as starting point)

And you're adding the custom CNC billet aluminum wheels: $120 set of four.

I'll have to increase the shipping for the return trip... unsure.gif I sent it UPS. I'll PM the tracking number. I forgot to toss some aluminum scrap in the box. I'll try to get another box out later in the week but it's starting to get nuts here.
RJMII
prototype3 on the car...

Now I can get some measurements and SEE how they fit! I am so stoked!

Rick, THANK YOU!!!

Here's the pic. smile.gif
Sleepin
Those look great Jim! With a little finishing and painting, those will be nuts on!
JoeSharp
The cars that I put together for the WCR were about $450 with radio. That is with 2 batteries and a charger but without the trophy.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(RJMII @ Jul 14 2010, 04:22 PM) *

prototype3 on the car...

Now I can get some measurements and SEE how they fit! I am so stoked!

Rick, THANK YOU!!!

Here's the pic. smile.gif

Those are going to look outragous on our cars! All the 911 guys are going to have wheel envy. drooley.gif
ConeDodger
I spent part of the day assembling the chassis for mine pictured above. Pretty elaborate. My kid is stoked. The cheesy VW wheels that come with the Bug M04-L kit will never do...
roadster fan
Jim the wheels are looking REAL good, keep up the hard work! wub.gif

Jim
BKLA
aktion035.gif

Looking good!
nsr-jamie
Looks cool to see them on a car...is your CNC set up able to do 3D stuff ?
RJMII
Yes, my CNC is setup to do 3d.

I'm still working on the fourth axis; I'd like to program it so I can get perfect circles and the correct contours.

More progress pictures:

My VW donor car showed up the other day. Xac and I put it together, and I showed him how much fun it is to assemble stuff.
Click to view attachment
I've also been working on the polishing. See the sides of the Fuchs in the picture? that's from hanging out in the walnut shells for 24 hours.

Click to view attachment
RJMII
I now have two cars here, and I've got the measurements! I am ready to start cutting out the wheels. It will be easiest to do them if I do a larger run.

The process for cutting out the wheels requires me to set up my CNC mill in multiple configurations.

The process, for those that are curious:

Step one, chop up the stick of 2inch aluminum into inch and a half long chunks. - 2 hours.

(Dial in vice on rotary table to be centered with spindle) - half an hour, 45 minutes. Requires dial indicator.

Step two: Face the chunks/machine one face square and mark it. - 10 minutes per wheel.

Step three: Face other side of chunks/machine down to size. (1.125 for narrow wheels, 1.25 for wide wheels. - 10 to 15 minutes per wheel

Step four: Rough out the fronts of each wheel. (I'll put a spacer between the bottom of the vice and the wheel so that the same code can be used for narrow and wide wheels and run all of them through at once) - 35 to 45 minutes per wheel

Step five: Rough out the backs of the wide wheels - 35 to 45 minutes per wheel

Step six: Rough out the backs of the narrow wheels - 30 to 35 minutes per wheel

step seven: Run the finishing script for the backs of the Wide wheels - 15 minutes per wheel

step eight: run the finishing script for the backs of the narrow wheels. (finishes the 'hex' for the drive nut) 15 minutes per wheel

Step nine: Run the script for the 3d portion of the fronts of the wheels. (the part that makes them have 'the look') - hour and a half per wheel (working on making this take less time)

(now I set the machine up with the rotary table being vertical, with out the vice. I'll have a fixture to bolt the wheels to, and it will be dialed in centered on the rotary table)

Step ten: Run the script for each wheel for the area that the tire mounts. 10 to 15 minutes per wheel.

Step eleven: Put a couple of sets of wheels in the polisher for over night. The polisher has walnut shells and rouge. - one to two nights.
RJMII
Here is a top view of the car.

Back left tire is the wide one.

Back right tire is a narrow one.

Front right tire is a narrow one.

Front left tire is a stock bug tire and wheel. (much smaller diameter, takes different tires)
rick 918-S
Somehow I missed the pre-order info on the first post. I just sent the better half an email and asked her to send money via PP.

Get your orders in boys!
RJMII
Rick, I just added it. I wanted to get the measurements and code sorted out first. Quality is high priority here and I wanted to make sure I can do it and do it right. I am confident enough in the project now to go forward.
rick 918-S
Great! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished produce. Specially on MY biggrin.gif car.
RJMII
anyone else?
rick 918-S
Sent the pay pal I think. icon_bump.gif
RJMII
I ordered the metal today. Should be in my posession early next week; and I'm still taking pre-orders. smile.gif

the pre-orders will close when I post pics of Rick's car with a full set of them cut in 3d. Yes, the contours of the leaf will be rounded.
RJMII
I've been working on the 3d tool paths to get the very fine details in the wheels. smile.gif

another teaser pic. the green lines show the tool path.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.