Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oh crap!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
SirAndy
QUOTE(corsepervita @ Jul 29 2010, 03:18 PM) *
I am about 75% done with the harness at this point

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=13582

I paid the guys at EASY $100 for a good as new '74 main body harness to rewire my car.
It came with all plastic connectors and had only 1 (one!) wire that was cut. The rest looked like new.

Best $100 ever spent ...
popcorn[1].gif Andy
realred914
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 26 2010, 12:52 AM) *

QUOTE(corsepervita @ Jul 24 2010, 09:31 AM) *

... nasty caustic smelling smoke from burning wire. I got it out by putting water to cool the wires, ran for my toolkit and got the battery disconnected.

I know that everyone is laser focused on solving the electrical problem here, shades.gif
... but nobody apparently picked up on this - WATER on an electrical fire!!!! blink.gif

First of all never throw water on an electrical fire - in conducts electricity & makes an instant ground & connections to everything else it touches!!!! yikes.gif

If anything, the water made it worse, which may be why you're seeing damage beyond the initial harness damage! dry.gif

Carry a Fire Extinguisher rated for electrical & fuel fires.

Lacking that, you're far better off to throw dirt on it & smother the electrical fire.

That said - first track down the cause(s) of the damage & then resolve those & get a rebuilt harness(es) from Jeff Bowlsby as suggested above, & he restores the engine bay relay boards as well, if you fried that too.

Good Luck on the detective work & repairs! shades.gif

water is perfectly acceptable on an engine electrical fire, so long as there is no gasoline leaking. the reason to not use water on an electrical fire is shock hazard, but thta only applies to higher voltages, the 12 volt system is safe. if you got a gasoline fire, water is not recommened as it will spread the fire since gasoline floats on top of water. That is were a gasoline rated extingusher comes in handy
corsepervita
Harness is DONE. I have 3 more wires to do and I'm finished with the whole mess. Finally.

I have tomorrow night to put it back together, test it out and get it to the show. My friend said if I can't drive it to the show he'll trailer me there, so either way, i'll see the show.
Root_Werks
smilie_pokal.gif

Hope it all works out!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.