Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My 914-6 Build-off Done: JUNE 2012
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Mr.242
So to risk it all and to have a goal. I shook hands with my girlfriend(married 9.26.11) wife's parents, as well as a co-worker to have my car done by June 2012. I have to enter my car in a car show and be completed.

The recent PNW BBQ, the rumors were floating around if I REALLY had a 914. I've owned it for 2 years and the project was purchased as a running vehicle needing help.

I test drove the car and it ran and shifted fine. Only drove it about 2 miles max due to the left front caliper sticking and pulling horribly to the left when I hit the brakes. Yea, toward the centerline. So enough of that non-sense!

Sent the brakes off to Eric Shea for a rebuild. I got them and started the bleeding process and found the resivoir leaked. It ran down below the fuel tank. STOP, gotta fix that. But need to clean up that brake oil from under the tank.

Remove the tank and since it's out. Yea, better clean it and line it. DONE!

Along comes the Portland Tranny Clinic with Dr. Evil. So, I should pull the tranny. But since the tranny is coming out, I should just pull the whole motor and tranny. DONE!

Since those are all out. I should replace the tunnel fuel lines. In process.....

Since motor is out, I should have the engine bay repaired (battery tray and support) and painted. I started cleaning this up and found car cancer. It was a very sad day....I have been kicking around what to do since and gathering funds at the same time.

Here are some pictures of where I am at. I will start this build thread and I have 2 years or less to complete this build.

I can't lose and I don't like to lose. If I lose, then surely the gal's parents will think I'm a loser. Granted the bet is for liquor, so get them drunk on their victory and they might forget.................

pics:
Car as I bought it in San Fran:
Click to view attachment
Mr.242
DONE: June 22, 2012 just a few small bugs to quash, as with any 914 car. biggrin.gif
Thanks Everyone for your help and assistance. Parts sold to me. Advice given. Now I get to enjoy the car just in time before the end of the world piratenanner.gif
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
PeeGreen 914
Yeah right, we know that's really not your car poke.gif

Good luck buddy. If you need a hand you know where to find me aktion035.gif
Mr.242
Here's the Car in my garage and the motor/tranny coming out for rebuilds.

Click to view attachment

The car cancer at the motor mount sawzall-smiley.gif hissyfit.gif
Click to view attachment

Close up of cancer:
Click to view attachment
Mr.242
The Battery Tray and Rust issues....not too bad. Very solid Hell Hole. Typical rust from battery acid. I have purchased the tray and support already (Thanks Dan Root)
Click to view attachment

AND there is rust in the rear trunk. Mostly surface rust, but 2-3 spot where it has gone through.....damn.
Click to view attachment

The undercoating has also started to peel away from the sheetmetal under the rear trunk. I will neet to strip this area and re-apply.
Mr.242
The interior needs help, but it's all there including the back pad (just not in the car on this pic) Also it has a cracked dash, but a plastic cover included for FREE.....I would prefer the felt mat approach to cover the cracks than the plastic thingy...anyone want the plastic cover?

Needed:
Carpet kit
Seat(s) cover kit
Dash replacement
Most interior gaskets/rubber
front vinyl dash cover and pad
door vinyls
one early window crank
driver's door pocket

Click to view attachment

Please notice the ignition.....a SIX. #3 for the Crandall Trio!
Mr.242
The Front Trunk area....needs some cleaning, attention, and fresh paint.

Click to view attachment

Rear has some rust on trunk, due to being closed on something and creating a bump. Paint wore off and since this car sat under a blue tarp chair.gif it kept the moisture and rusted. There is also a dent on the right rear of the bumper. I have pushed most of this out; however, the bumper is not perfect and needs rechromed. Lucky me, my gal won a $75 dollar gift certificate at a car show for re-chroming! She wants to chrome my bumper with it......there's a joke in this I know!
Click to view attachment
Cupomeat
This looks like it might be a very neat thread. A couple of things;

1. The rust you show doesn't look that bad, but I bet it isn't the end of it. (then again, this is a west coast car and all I know is the east coast cars)
2. The interior is rough, but luckily, it can easily be repaired/replaced
3. Make sure that this is not the only success that your girlfriend's parents know about you.
4. Looks like you are going to have a VERY nice car in the end.
5. Have you rebuilt a Porsche 6 engine before? It is VERY expensive and requires special tools and skills.

smilie_pokal.gif

Keep going, great car, neat thread, let's see it come together.
Mr.242
Motor got shipped off to Bernd Buschen here in Fall City, WA. He has looked over the engine and said it is solid and built right. He has done some new gaskets and valve adjustments, etc. So not too much needed on the motor. I will need to rebuild the webers, but needing the car in running condition is probably a winter off.

I sent engine tins off for poweder coating and they are PURTY.

I plan on doing the engine mount rust, battery tray, and entire engine bay this winter. As well as the rear trunk.

I'm staying with Silver (unknown mode of Silver at this point) and will build from the inside OUT! Would love to get this in a drivers mode by next summer. I am also wishing to pay off the entire loan I have on this car by Winter of 2011. Then another loan to have the funds to FINISH the outside paint by June 2012. I will buy parts between now and then with CASH.

If ya got parts you think I need.....give me a quote and/or offer them to me.

Cupomeat: Thanks for advice #3!

Mark
Eric_Shea
Your brother told me you'll never make it...
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mr.242 @ Aug 10 2010, 01:01 PM) *
I'm staying with Silver (unknown mode of Silver at this point)

Is silver the original color? If so, there was only one silver for a 914-6 in 1970.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=colors

Silver Metallic (Silber-Metallic), Code 80

You should find the "80" code on your Karmann plate ...
popcorn[1].gif Andy
Mr.242
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 10 2010, 04:39 PM) *

Is silver the original color? If so, there was only one silver for a 914-6 in 1970.

popcorn[1].gif Andy

I know this....but not sure I want to stay with the ORIGINAL Silver. Some of the newer Silver's are pretty cool.

From what I have learned; I can do the car how it makes me happy or feel. So I'm staying with that thought......I'm a few months from deciding what route. Staying in the 'family' the VW silvers are very nice and bright!
Eric_Shea
From what I have learned; I can do the car how it makes me happy or feel.

Your logic is flawed. Not with a six. It now owns you. biggrin.gif
6freak
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 10 2010, 04:19 PM) *

Your brother told me you'll never make it...

2 funny Eric biggrin.gif ...he might if i help him and i will cause hes not heavey hes my Brother and i will need to return the favor for he is cooking with the binford 8k at the Crandall family BBQ this weekend chowtime.gif that I`m hosting at my house beerchug.gif drunk.gif barf.gif
rickthejetman
QUOTE(Mr.242 @ Aug 10 2010, 11:14 AM) *

The interior needs help, but it's all there including the back pad (just not in the car on this pic) Also it has a cracked dash, but a plastic cover included for FREE.....I would prefer the felt mat approach to cover the cracks than the plastic thingy...anyone want the plastic cover?

I'll take your plastic cover thingy if you really dont want it.
i wish my project started as nice as yours. you should have it done in no time.
Zaney
Mark,
Consider me part of the rebuild team! welder.gif I want you to WIN smilie_pokal.gif the bet or die trying! driving.gif

We will be in touch for BBQ stuff for the WSP and RFD.

Stay in touch and let me know when you need a hand!

Stay safe Brother!

Nate
Mr.242
Well I had to tell him!

I have known for awhile I have a non numbers matching SIX. My engine isn't the original SIX 2.0t motor. Yea, I will have to begin the treasure hunt for it; but I'm not that concerned.

I debated in not telling 6Freak that my motor was actually a 2.2e motor! driving.gif Cuz, I just kinda wanted to 'surprise' him at an autocross that there was something just a little different about my car!! It's that brother rivalry thing I suppose.

I had to tell him. It was a priceless moment! Now he will be building a bigger motor for his car cuz he can't have his little bro have something BIGGER.

Talking to my motor man and all the poke.gif of NOT getting this car done by 2012. I had to explain why I was delayed. The motor man got into my car and started just taking a look to see what needed to be done. My 2.2e was a 'throw together' motor. It was the 2.2e long block, had T cams, and S dizzy. ????? It ran, but not to it's potential. We had to find a set of E cams and that took some time. We 'sniped' on ebay and got a set. They were pretty good and shipped them off to be reground. The motor is coming back together nicely and should be done by the end of Sept (funds permitting). All my car funds come from OT shifts that I work. So it's 40 hours at work and then days off 10-20 more hours to get $$$.... It is summer and I'm trying to enjoy a little free time.

So hey MIKE.....it's a 2.2e! I'm guessing we should have it around 150hp at a minumum and it is such a great 0-60mph motor! shades.gif

I will work on those cones not getting hit!!!

ADVICE/QUESTION: The the black fiberglass engine cover has a small wear hole (wiring loom rub) in it. I would like to clean this up and paint the fiberglass. I need a little advice or is there a link to someone doing this on another thread? THX
Mr.242
WAHOOO!

I applied for a job inside my agency that isn't shift work any longer. For 19.5 years I have worked shift work of nights, weekends, birthdays, holidays, etc. Public service sometimes bites.

Well today I got offered a new position that is Tues-Fri off! I can't wait to start. Teener Tuesdays I will be all over here in Seattle.

I will have more decent hours to work on my car and feel 'normal'

I can have time off to start attending AutoX's.....which I have done one and ENJOY!

Now, I'm closer to that bet being reality.

beer3.gif to me!!!!! Being a farm kid, I have NEVER had a normal work schedule on ANY job I have worked. This will be awesome!!!
JRust
congrats on the job my friend piratenanner.gif
Root_Werks
beerchug.gif

Now get to work on that 914-6! biggrin.gif
Mr.242
Heat Exchanger DONE!

Performance Coatings in Auburn, WA. Same place PanelBilly is using so figured it had to be okay!

Well worth the $230 to have them protected.

piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
Nice! smilie_pokal.gif
KELTY360
Oh man, I missed this whole thread cause the day after the August BBQ I left for a two week Wyoming/Montana camping expedition with my brother. I'm stoked you're getting after this Mark; you're a sure bet in my book.

I'm getting a lift installed on Wed. - WooHoo! - so if you ever need to get that thing in the air for some work just let me know.

Those HEs look great. Is that a Jet-Hot coating?
Mr.242
Cookies getting done......CHECK!
Here's what I started with....
Click to view attachment

Finished! piratenanner.gif (sorry, low quality cell camera pic) But still makes me very drooley.gif to see these done!
Click to view attachment

Polished so good it's like a mirror. A guy I found on Craigslist that normally does semi wheels. Charged $30 a wheel to polish....how could I say NO?!
championgt1
Very nice! I like that look.
PanelBilly
What a deal! Hows the bodywork comming? If you need a hand, let me know
KELTY360
QUOTE(Mr.242 @ Feb 16 2011, 08:54 PM) *

Polished so good it's like a mirror. A guy I found on Craigslist that normally does semi wheels. Charged $30 a wheel to polish....how could I say NO?!

I hope you saved his phone number. biggrin.gif

Those look incredible. Nice scheme.
6freak
Click to view attachment

yah whatever biggrin.gif
sixnotfour
just hope he doesnt paint his -6 Red.
PeeGreen 914
Man that RS America looks hot drooley.gif happy11.gif

Oh, you 914-6 looks nice too Mike biggrin.gif Thanks for letting me drive it last weekend beerchug.gif

Mark, you need to come out to some autocrosses this year poke.gif
6freak
anyone see the Orange 914 with the luggage rack ..it was a peach

No kidding Jeff one red six is enough I think his gonna go with silver ??dads six is silver
Click to view attachment
6freak
QUOTE(6freak @ Feb 17 2011, 02:15 PM) *

anyone see the Orange 914 with the luggage rack ..it was a peach

No kidding Jeff one red six is enough I think his gonna go with silver ??dads six is silver
Click to view attachment

Insperation Bro smash.gif welder.gif smash.gif welder.gif smash.gif welder.gif
PeeGreen 914
lol... I didn't even see my old car in there. Luggage rack? confused24.gif
Mr.242
Paying CASH as I go....no need going in debt to get this thing done.

To the body shop at the end of the month! Need to save $1400 for engine bay paint up and put the motor back in her. That requires 30-36 hours of OT. dry.gif

AND yes, I have the guys number. He is going to do my FUCHS next...thinking full polish on them.

I want at least ONE Teener Tuesday in this car before next fall confused24.gif

hwgunner
Love the Cookies! I am rooting for you on the bet.

jonathan
hwgunner
6freak
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Feb 17 2011, 02:30 PM) *

lol... I didn't even see my old car in there. Luggage rack? confused24.gif

not yours Jon ..I cant remember who`s car it was, but it was clean
tpines
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 10 2010, 03:39 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif Andy

Hi Andy,
I am in the process of buying a '70 914-6 (9140431617) and it is silver. I checked the code and it is 80. Do you feel this will increase the value or not if it is indeed the only silver metallic that year? How do you know that there was only one silver metallic that year? If so, by how much would you say? Thanks for your help...

Clark.
Mr.242
Bought the BEST Shiny Part for my SIX.....

Click to view attachment

Priority for the car cash fund went to a much needed part ............I have to have a co-driver for this car. grouphug.gif

I'm still on track to finish this car June 2012. I must still win this bet and now I have a teammate.

campbellcj
Congrats on the "teammate to-be"! You could have made her a ring from cut-off rusty 914 sheetmetal...I'm sure she would appreciate that.

I like the polish treatment on your cookie cutters. Very unique and eye-catching.
Mr.242
Car Stripped and heading to JMMMOTORSPORTS!

Click to view attachment
Mr.242
The BLUE dash hidden, but revealed 41 years later!

Mr.242
Lots of work here....let's hope I remember where the pieces go and how to re-assemble the stuff..... GULP!

Click to view attachment
Mr.242
Doors look to be in great shape! Excite to re-assemble with new parts and rubber. Price list to install new stuff: $488.....anyone need a kidney?

Click to view attachment
Lou W
popcorn[1].gif Looking Good smile.gif
carr914
QUOTE(Mr.242 @ Dec 2 2011, 12:14 PM) *

let's hope I remember where the pieces go and how to re-assemble the stuff..... GULP!

That is indeed the Hard Part - for me it's nice to have another in the garage to reference to
6freak
QUOTE(carr914 @ Dec 2 2011, 06:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Mr.242 @ Dec 2 2011, 12:14 PM) *

let's hope I remember where the pieces go and how to re-assemble the stuff..... GULP!

That is indeed the Hard Part - for me it's nice to have another in the garage to reference to

if he does it at my shop, and i think hes gonna ..he will have mine sitting next to his, should be simple....just time consuming..but fun smile.gif
NORD
You asked last Summer; 2002 VW Reflex Silver santa_smiley.gif

The only Silver brighter is Volvo Silver but Volvos paint

fades and peels. Go to a dealer that has Euro cars in silver

and compare. santa_smiley.gif
montoya 73 2.0
Nice job so far Mark! thumb3d.gif
Mr.242
These just in from Jerry @ JMMOTORSPORTS

piratenanner.gif Give the guy a car for a week and look at him go! drooley.gif
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Just one place of bondo unsure.gif

JRust
You took it to the right shop! Jerry knows his stuff. Your car will come out beautifully drooley.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.