Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch issues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ripper911
So, as some of you know I've been working on my clutch for nearly a week.

Well, after doing the whole thing again yesterday, setting the end play and all.

It still isn't working. headbang.gif I thought replacing the pivot bushing would do it.

Now because of all the hassle it gave me yesterday, it now has a mean exhaust leak. aktion035.gif

And, to top it all off, while I was working underneath trying to get the tranny back on my brother decides to see if he can get to the front of the engine by lifting the back pad behind the seat, and it's not going back. mad.gif

SO, I GIVE UP

I'm taking the car to AA as soon as I can sell my VW to raise some funds.
I have done everything I thought should be done, and it will not work!
I do have another option, try to trade the 911 to AA, but I wouldn't do that.
headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif smash.gif hissyfit.gif
Spoke
Sorry to hear of your pain.

By "isn't working", you mean the fork is still hitting the housing and the clutch isn't fully disengaged?

If you're running out of threads on the cable, adding some washers helps gain some clearance.

Don't worry about the issue with the backpad on the interior yet.

Push the clutch all the way in and then take some pictures of the fork.

We can help you here if you post some pics.

Don't give up now, you're so close.

As the saying goes, "a picture is worth a 1000 words" and that is quite true with this type of issue.

Post some pics and let us help you.

When you fail and give up we all fail just a little bit with you. Let's get this thing fixed and on the road!

driving.gif
Jeffs9146
I was reviewing your post and noticed something that didn't make sense too me!

we didn't remove the flywheel/crankshaft seal so the shims were not messed with

I used the rebuilt flywheel (although it looked awefully clean) so I thought we might have to do the shims but didn't think we would be able to do it with what we had available..

What does "I used the rebuilt flywheel" mean if you didn't remove it?

ripper911
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Aug 27 2010, 06:36 PM) *

I was reviewing your post and noticed something that didn't make sense too me!

we didn't remove the flywheel/crankshaft seal so the shims were not messed with

I used the rebuilt flywheel (although it looked awefully clean) so I thought we might have to do the shims but didn't think we would be able to do it with what we had available..

What does "I used the rebuilt flywheel" mean if you didn't remove it?

I didn't know the proper name of the seal, so thats what I called it at that time drunk.gif

I used a clutch kit with rebuilt flywheel, disc, and pressure plate.
Jeffs9146
So you DID replace the Flywheel with a reground one?

If so did you check to see if it was ground beyond the minimum specs??

If not it could be that the Flywheel is too far from the pressure plate to engage the clutch. Extending the pivot ball will only work "if" the Flywheel is within minimum specifications!
ripper911
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Aug 27 2010, 06:45 PM) *

So you DID replace the Flywheel with a reground one?

If so did you check to see if it was ground beyond the minimum specs??

If not it could be that the Flywheel is too far from the pressure plate to engage the clutch. Extending the pivot ball will only work "if" the Flywheel is within minimum specifications!

I assumed it was within spec, it took them a while to find the right one for me.
and I figured the guys at AA wouldn't sell me one that was too bad...

I still haven't tried shimming the pivot ball. But I only have 1/4-1/2 inch of freeplay before the release bearing makes contact, so I dont think that is the issue, since it should be activating the mechanism during most of the fork travel.
ripper911
My last two threads on this project.

Beginning

More problems

Obvoiusly, as I state in these threads, I am no mechanic!
But I thought I did everything right... smash.gif eventually

My brother (the mechanic one), just suggested that the flywheel may be out of spec, he was talking to the snap on guy and as soon as he mentioned the clutch not wanting to work right the guy said it's probably that...

Might get me a used flywheel and see if it works.
But now I have a huge exhaust leak to deal with, anyone have cheap used headers?
bandjoey
What big town are you close to? Anyone close by that can go by to look this over?
ripper911
If I go over there and get my flywheel off and measure it and it is right, whats next?
The cable is tight and should be doing what it does.

I might try doing this again... but I'm getting frustrated.
I'll go by and take some pics when I'm not working.

I don't want to keep driving a work van too long, the 914 has spoiled me.

I have one more set of c/v joint gaskets, so I can take everything apart one more time before heading to the shop, well...nevermind, the flywheel lock plate is a one use item, right?
ripper911
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Aug 27 2010, 09:36 PM) *

What big town are you close to? Anyone close by that can go by to look this over?

Atlanta, west side near marietta and such.

Might be time for a Bar-B-Que, eh...
If I can afford the exhaust parts...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.