Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Trunk Spring Install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wit61
I have tried the search function to no avail. Does anyone have the suggested steps for re-installing the two springs (stressed metal rods) that keep the trunk up when open ?? If I missed a thread on this, please point me in the right direction. Thanks

73 914
70 911E
70 911T Targa

If you go flying back into the past and you see someone else flying forward into the future, it is probably best to avoid eye contact....

www.classicvelocity.com
Steve Snyder
The last time I did it, the procedure involved a huge box wrench hooked over the torsion rod end with a huge open-end wrench hooked into the other side of the box wrench (for added leverage), a 10mm socket wrench for the bracket nuts, two guys and a lot of cursing. It worked, but I'm sure there is a more refined method.
jt914-6
You might consider this....Got a set on my rear fiberglass trunk.... http://www.camp914.com/products/shox.html
dr914@autoatlanta.com
It is actually easy with a 10 mm box wrench and a craftsman 1/2 inch breaker bar with the hole in the handle notched to a "c" simply start the spring forward with the box wrench then grab it with the handle of the breaker bar and ease it around the roller. There is a diagram and a procedure in the "Tech Tips 700"

QUOTE(wit61 @ Sep 7 2010, 06:23 PM) *

I have tried the search function to no avail. Does anyone have the suggested steps for re-installing the two springs (stressed metal rods) that keep the trunk up when open ?? If I missed a thread on this, please point me in the right direction. Thanks

73 914
70 911E
70 911T Targa

If you go flying back into the past and you see someone else flying forward into the future, it is probably best to avoid eye contact....

www.classicvelocity.com

windforfun
Buy the Doctor's book. Every 914 owner should have one.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(windforfun @ Sep 8 2010, 12:19 PM) *

What we need is a PDF version! What do you say George? happy11.gif
Drums66
QUOTE(windforfun @ Sep 8 2010, 10:19 AM) *

I thought you meant a health manual laugh.gif poke.gif

be very careful performing that job!! sad.gif
Jeffs9146
Sorry, I did it again!! I keep posting my reply on the old thread!! blink.gif

Are you just putting them back on the rollers or reattaching them to the chassis?

This thread shows you how to put them back on the rollers!

Trunk Bar Thread

monkeyboy
Don't forget to cuss a lot. Mine didn't fit right until I cussed enough. It may not be in the manual, but it's a requirement.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Sep 8 2010, 10:49 AM) *

In this day and age I agree.

The only reason I keep mentioning the book is that I must have failed to market the thing well enough. All of these questions that are being asked over and over again spend a lot of 914 owners time and frustration when simple answers are in the book and have been in the different editions of the "Tech Tips 700" for years!!
I do not want ANY 914 owner to be frustrated with their car (unless they have butchered it with a mazda engine (CHAD!!) or something like that) or have to suffer for hours in the garage in the middle of the night without an answer to their baffling but simple problem.

And to an extreme, to hell with selling the book, I would just rather every 914 owner have one in his possession, as 98% of the legitimate technical questions asked on this forum are covered in the book. OF COURSE though I have costs associated with the book and have spent many many hours of frustration myself so that others would not suffer. PLUS if one gives away such valuable information it dramatically lessens the value of the information.
windforfun
Just go for it George. What the hell. It's probably tax deductable.
ConeDodger
Silly boys, installation is the reverse of removal. Says so in the shop manual! evilgrin.gif
underthetire
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Sep 9 2010, 08:44 AM) *

QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Sep 8 2010, 10:49 AM) *

In this day and age I agree.

The only reason I keep mentioning the book is that I must have failed to market the thing well enough. All of these questions that are being asked over and over again spend a lot of 914 owners time and frustration when simple answers are in the book and have been in the different editions of the "Tech Tips 700" for years!!
I do not want ANY 914 owner to be frustrated with their car (unless they have butchered it with a mazda engine (CHAD!!) or something like that) or have to suffer for hours in the garage in the middle of the night without an answer to their baffling but simple problem.

And to an extreme, to hell with selling the book, I would just rather every 914 owner have one in his possession, as 98% of the legitimate technical questions asked on this forum are covered in the book. OF COURSE though I have costs associated with the book and have spent many many hours of frustration myself so that others would not suffer. PLUS if one gives away such valuable information it dramatically lessens the value of the information.

George, I personally don't think you should just give away a PDF of it, but maybe if you give one for every order over XXX dollars that might be cool. And maybe offer those that have one a hat or T-shirt instead....
Andyrew
George,

Might I suggest a group buy on it?

How much are you selling them now? $20? If you can put it for $5+ $5 shipping you will get this out to quite a few people... I know even in this economy I'll buy one for 10 bucks to me.

Just a thought.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.