Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My 72 3.0 progress thread: Project F-914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Krieger
Here is one of my rebuilt Ferrari rear calipers. All I need for the rears are pads!
Krieger
Front sway bar and heavy A calipers. When I learn how to drive I will replace the A's with something better. I need to run brake lines and add master cylinder.
Krieger
Something simple, cheap, light and fun. If you were in a US made jet and wanted to get out of a plane in a hurry you'd reach up above your head and grab yellow/black cable like this to punch out. Home Depot special $9. Eject label from office label maker free. Effect...priceless biggrin.gif
Krieger
I didn't want to do this project. I'm getting tired of projects and I just want to drive this freakin car. Oh well, it was pretty easy with my drill and jig saw. I also had some aluminum left over from making the dash. I forget how cool it is to work with aluminum. I welded nuts on the engine compartment side of the firewall to hold it down.
Krieger
One of my "buddies" conviced me I needed to do the access panel. Just to the left you can see the bolt heads I tacked in place to mount the coil in the engine compartment.
Krieger
Here is the engine compartment with my new connector eliminating the use of the relay board. I shortened a good amount of the original harness to put the plug in this location. The voltage reg was the only "compromise" if you want to call it that. I have the bracket for the engine mount temporarily mounted to help me with figuring out the oil line routing. My coil is wired in to the body harness and so is the distributor pick up lead.
Krieger
Oil line routing in front trunk. The lines are going in the passenger long, then into the passenger compartment. Through the front bulkhead to the cooler. sawzall-smiley.gif
Krieger
Passenger side. Hole saws courtesy my pal Marty. sawzall-smiley.gif
Krieger
Windshield from that same doner car at pick n pull. It has a couple of small scratches otherwise awesome shape. I got it out, home and installed without breaking it! Rubber seal/butyl from Mikey. 3m black primer.
Krieger
I liked the look of the original chrome wiper harware.
Krieger
Almost forgot. The MSD 6AL box is wired into the harness along with the tach adapter. All I need is a couple of ends installed.
Jeffs9146
What year 3.0L is it? I didn't need a tach adapter for my MSD6AL on a 3.0L! My motor is an '83sc with a '79 tach! confused24.gif

I didn't think the 4 cylinder tach will work even with the adaptor...maybe I am wrong?
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Krieger @ Dec 9 2011, 05:46 PM) *

What you see of the wiper system is all there is...

Vent delete looks cool! How did the dash install go?
Krieger
The engine is from a 78. The tach is from an unknown 911. If I need to I could always cut that tach adapter out. I needed a tach adapter for my 4 cylinder 75 with MSD6 box.
Rob the dash was easy to install. I used the two bolt holes on the top center. Then large (maybe 1/8") sheet metal screws on each side into the cage
Krieger
Here is a close up of the paint, er glass beaded aluminum finish! Well the wiper nuts are glass beaded aluminum!
Randal
QUOTE(Krieger @ Dec 24 2011, 01:26 PM) *

Here is a close up of the paint, er glass beaded aluminum finish! Well the wiper nuts are glass beaded aluminum!

I really like the paint. Super cool.
Randal
QUOTE(Krieger @ Sep 26 2010, 08:49 AM) *

I have some more time to post pictures correctly. The car was painted last month a matte metalic silver. This paint is a polyurethane and looks awsome in the sun. In the garage it looks a little dull. Basically it looks like glass beaded aluminum! The paint is from TCP Global in San Diego. Hot Rod Flats is the color line.

Did you paint it yourself?
Krieger
I had someone spray it in my garage. I'm good with a spray can though!
Krieger
Got my oil lines and fuel system done! Mazda RX-7 cooler and Holley red fuel pump. Stainless fuel lines courtesy of Tangerine Racing. I have both installed even though I only am using one now.
Krieger
I ran the lines in the long and wrapped them with a heat insulating material. A little bit of work with a hole saw and grinder.
Krieger
The left engine compartment view. Yes the line is run over the stock 6 engine mount, then fastened to the brake dampner. GT style engine mount bracing encouraged by Mr. Eric Shea.
Krieger
Here is the right side detail. with my home grown battery tray....wait till you see my "hot rod' style battery hold down. All the ignition components are wired into the body harness.
Krieger
A better view of oil thermostat and line routing.
Krieger
Carbs done! I did the float bowel mod to keep the mains fed in corners.
Krieger
Engine/trans going in!
Krieger
Bingo!! piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif Note the fancy puke bottle set up pirated from one of the guys here.
Krieger
MSDS 1 1/2" headers ceramic coated. I am using the stock SC muffler for now. Bungs added for an oxygen sensor in both.
Krieger
I came up with a creative solution for an oil tank drain plug. I ordered the factory oil lines from the the tank to the cooler. It came with a union. I had a face machined then drilled and tapped it for a drain plug. I drilled the plug so I could safety wire it. This is one of many parts my pal Dean machined for me.
Krieger
Installed. I welded in a bracket to support the set up. One large adele clamp to hold it.
Krieger
Sir Andy style axles. I needed loger CV bolts than the 45mm units that came with the 944 cvs. These are 55mm and need to be trimmed so they didn't interfere with the trailing arm. Not an issue on the trans flange side. I couldn't find appropriate 50mm bolts. Also note Sir Andy inspired picture quality. biggrin.gif
Krieger
All trim!
Phil Plummer
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Dec 9 2011, 09:33 PM) *

What year 3.0L is it? I didn't need a tach adapter for my MSD6AL on a 3.0L! My motor is an '83sc with a '79 tach! confused24.gif

I didn't think the 4 cylinder tach will work even with the adaptor...maybe I am wrong?

Hi iam doing a 914 with a 3.0 porsche 911 sc from an 81 and was wondering if I cant install and run car without adapting any wiring or otherwise computer stuff that was in the '81 911 sc
I upgraded starter and oil tank and flywheel, bearing and clutch (from Kennedy engineered prouducts)and headers and throttle cable
Do I have upgrade anything else? and what about a 911 tach I'm putting in? please help-Phil
Krieger
I need to do some ignition, carb sorting and alignment/balance but she is running! I decided to go with fiberglass bumpers.
Krieger
The rims on it now are my street wheels.
Krieger
I had my OMP seats covered in army style heavy OD canvas.
Krieger
biggrin.gif
jeff
I love it!
Lennies914
Looking awesome Andy! beer.gif
Phil Plummer
QUOTE(Krieger @ Feb 2 2013, 09:57 AM) *

biggrin.gif

Hi I am building a 914/6 with a 3.0 in it from a 81 911 sc and All is ready to go just NO Spark ...Cd box humms...amd I stayed with the original injection system..coil etc all good...Please help or direct me if you can -Regards Phil
Krieger
Hey Phil. I am totally unfamiliar with the factory ignition. I am using an MSD ignition system. Post something in the garage here and maybe somebody like Cap n Crusty will know. Do a search here, or maybe on Pelican Parts site in the in the 911 BBS where the taildraggers hang out.
Lennies914
QUOTE(Phil Plummer @ Mar 6 2013, 06:46 PM) *

QUOTE(Krieger @ Feb 2 2013, 09:57 AM) *

biggrin.gif

Hi I am building a 914/6 with a 3.0 in it from a 81 911 sc and All is ready to go just NO Spark ...Cd box humms...amd I stayed with the original injection system..coil etc all good...Please help or direct me if you can -Regards Phil

I assisted Jeffs9146 with his 3.0 sc conversion and we had the same trouble. It was our solution to replace the factory ignition with the MSD 6L setup.
Phil Plummer
QUOTE(Krieger @ Sep 26 2010, 09:11 AM) *

Another rear trunk done!

Hi I have put a 3.0 from a 911 sc into my teener
It sounds awsome but will not idle on its own I have to feed gas through spray bottle
-Wur (Warm up reg is fine I think) It has power and bimetal strip gets hot and it is clean as a whistle
-cold start vavle is fine
- it all appars to be wired right and I am at wits end please help if you can
Krieger
My car has carburetors. If you look at the pics you'd see that. I don't know but I think a warm up regulator gets you air not fuel. You should post a new thread in the garage asking for help.
Mark Henry
Cool build smile.gif
MATTYLITE
The headlights look great! Is that just flat lexan over the light buckets?
Any closer images of this?
Krieger
Thanks Mark! The covers are just flat Lexan. I had the car Aligned and corner balanced and with a half a tank of gas she weighs 2050#!
Chris Pincetich
SWEET beerchug.gif
3d914
Looking awesome, Andy. now lets hear that thing growl!
Krieger
For fun I had some placards made at Aircraft Engravers. $8 shipped!
3d914
Nice touch! I hope those guns are rear-mounted! My last 914 seemed to attract every manner of road-going carnivore sniffing its tail.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.