914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
904svo
Dr.
Do you need one of these?

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
Ha, what do ya know! It is a premade part. I could use one. It sure beats reinventing the wheel.

Jeff (GS Guy), what is the benefit in using oval tubing? The rectangular is easier to get and cheap. Plus, flat surfaces to work on are nice wink.gif
Dr Evil
I think I may look for a used oxy/acetylene set up to weld it all up in Al. Lighter, cheaper, nice looking smile.gif
904svo
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 2 2010, 05:49 PM) *

Ha, what do ya know! It is a premade part. I could use one. It sure beats reinventing the wheel.

Jeff (GS Guy), what is the benefit in using oval tubing? The rectangular is easier to get and cheap. Plus, flat surfaces to work on are nice wink.gif

Its yours send me your address, I used it on a type 4 2.0 ltr with CIS injection
Dr Evil
You rock! Thanks man smile.gif PM on its way.

For welding Al, tell me about braize? Is it sufficient? I see here in this video what appears to be an easy method to get what I want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMADiAMfe00
rick 918-S
http://www.tinmantech.com/html/aero_braze_flux_core.php

This is flux core aluminum brazing rod.
Dr Evil
Hows about this? And, its Harbor Freight rolleyes.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ42scaWFnw
rick 918-S
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRWmpSE-hXk

Ok, I have to go read how to inbed the vid.
Dr Evil
I saw that video as well. Well done by a skilled expert. To imbed video;

*edit* screw it, I can not write out how to embed video as it is taking it as a command
charliew
Think of all types of brazing as hot glueing. The parent metal is not fused or melted into the added piece. BUT this was the way many things were contructed including a doodle bug I had as a 10 yearold. It was a two hp scooter I rode all over town. I probably weighed 75 lbs max. It was a cross between a allstate scooter and a bicycle and it was completely brazed together and we had to rebraze a few joints over time. I think other than models that was my first paint job. Also brazing flux is a bitch to clean off for painting or coating. If you don't get it all off it will cause a blister later on. It's very hard and crusty and in all the cracks and hard to get to places. Silver solder is like braze but it's even lower temperature. The parent metal can actually be heated too much making it brittle if you are not careful.

I usually use what I have before I buy tubing or sheet but 1/8 is really thick for intake tubing but you won't burn through nearly as easily.
76-914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Dec 2 2010, 07:22 PM) *

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRWmpSE-hXk

Ok, I have to go read how to inbed the vid.

Hey Rick, I met that guy in Oshkosh 1995. He is a f*%&$ing metal wizard and can make anything look easy. Knowing your love of craftsmanship, you would be in awe of his ability to stretch, shrink, form, duplicate, "blend", or whatever you need done to a piece of metal. I shit you not when I say that the English Wheel is a childs toy for this man.
Dr Evil
I really want to go to Oshkosh some day. As soon as I can, I will be there.
azbill
Mike -- Why don't you sue a stock Corvair intake. just modify the part that fits over the carb throat and powder coat it and be done. You may have to reshape the center air intake a bit for the clearance issues. By the way how is the residence going? Take care and Marry Christmas and happy new year.

Bill
Dr Evil
Bill, residency is going well.

The stock corvair setup is shit. Really, shitty. It is restrictive as all get out and it a major limitation on the engines performance. I already have the tri ported heads. The plenum is actually an easy task for the most part. I just priced out all the parts and for less than the cost of the computer kit of the FI. Plus, this is fun and an excuse to get more tools. smile.gif Youtube has all the general info.
GS Guy
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 2 2010, 08:49 PM) *

I had a sand buggy engine pic in mind with a custom plenum like your planning - it used an oval center section and was a really good looking system! Can't find that pic now - but here's another one. I see it uses a more rectangular center section but nice rounded corners (since it's cast). A rectangular "shoe box" plenum sounds somethat industrial.

IPB Image

The thing about the sand buggy system was it was adapted from 6-port heads and the Weber intake manifolds, where the above system has (the more compact) 6-port manifolds specifically designed for the plenum intake.
Jeff
GS Guy
Found it:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Some nice ideas there to consider!
Jeff
Dr Evil
Now that is what I am talking about smile.gif I am not turboing my engine, though (yet). That is essentially what I am going to build. I have those manifold plates for my heads as well. I will take pics of the setup and put them here when I get home from call.

The injectors on that engine are in a suboptimal location as they do not look as if they are shooting at the intake valve, rather the bore.

Thanks for posting smilie_pokal.gif
Dr Evil
I was looking at the manifold adapter (holley 4bbl to 6 intakes) that came with my setup and it would save me some pain and cost to just lop off the runners and make a center box for the TB, connect it to the runners with rubber hoses. Not much welding and if I want to get pretty later I can make up some fancy stuff. Wife has the camera so no pics today.
904svo
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 5 2010, 07:31 PM) *

I was looking at the manifold adapter (holley 4bbl to 6 intakes) that came with my setup and it would save me some pain and cost to just lop off the runners and make a center box for the TB, connect it to the runners with rubber hoses. Not much welding and if I want to get pretty later I can make up some fancy stuff. Wife has the camera so no pics today.

Why not just cut a plate to fit the 4 bbl with 4 openings and a large round pipe
welded to it to connect to the CIS boot?
904svo
Instead use the 4 bbl carb as a throttle plate this will give you better control at idle
and make your pluming easer as all you have to do is go from the CIS to the carb.
Jeffs9146
I have been trying to get one of those from Montoya 73 2.0 for a couple of months!

If anyone else has one I will take it!

Montoya said they are from a 78-82 Volvo 240!

Sorry for the hyjack

Thanks

QUOTE(904svo @ Dec 2 2010, 05:45 PM) *

904svo

Its in the mail.
904svo
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Dec 6 2010, 07:51 AM) *

I have been trying to get one of those from Montoya 73 2.0 for a couple of months!

If anyone else has one I will take it!

Montoya said they are from a 78-82 Volvo 240!

Sorry for the hyjack

Thanks

They show up on EBAY ever now and then. That's where I got that one.

Jeffs9146
They show up on EBAY ever now and then. That's where I got that one.

I have not been able to find a part number or even the name of the part! I have searched all of the volvo parts places on the web!

If anyone can give me enough info to find one ill buy you a beer when I get it!! beerchug.gif

Dr Evil
That part is going to save me some serious work. As for using the Holley adapter, it is a question of clearance. It is way too high. Putting a plenum on my st up will not be hard and will be very low clearance when compared to any holley setup.
Dr Evil
Here is the adapter. The only thing I see being a problem is that the pipes may put the plenum higher than needed. We will see when I get the engine out.
Dr Evil
Ya know, with this adapter one could run a 4bbl on their /6 engine. Bolts right on. Maybe I wont sacrifice it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.