Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Artwork for WCR 2011..Anyone and everyones opinion!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Events Forum > Past Event Planning Threads
Pages: 1, 2
montoya 73 2.0
Do we want to use the existing artwork or create something new? I'm partial to the existing design and if we pick that, what do we want to add to the "Sail" to say "Oregon"?

I'm going to ask Ken for the artwork or discuss what we would like. I was going to see what some 2" x 3" Dash Plaques would cost?
JRust
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Dec 12 2010, 03:14 PM) *

Do we want to use the existing artwork or create something new? I'm partial to the existing design and if we pick that, what do we want to add to the "Sail" to say "Oregon"?

I'm going to ask Ken for the artwork or discuss what we would like. I was going to see what some 2" x 3" Dash Plaques would cost?

Not exactly sure what the current artwork is? Do you mean like last years logo for WCR but just changing the year?I kind of like that for the small front logo. Be cool if we could have something with crater lake integrated on the back?
montoya 73 2.0
Last years shirt had the 914 world.com logo on front. I was thinking the same as you were saying with the back. Change the Tahoe reference to the crater lake reference but basically the same.

Do we want to put the sail in the front and crater lake on the back?
montoya 73 2.0
I spoke with ken, He and his wife said they would like to help us with the new artwork. The following is his email;

We would be happy to create the artwork at no cost to the event. There are a couple of things we would need to know.

1. Your ideas on the changes to the design. Add delete elements, car color, etc.
2. Whether both color and black and white versions would be needed. The artwork is initially created in color but if you will need a black and white version some changes are normally made so that version looks good.
3. Will you need a version of artwork for a hat? Usually a little simpler than the full version so the smaller size looks good.

We usually deliver the artwork via email to you with copies to shirt printers, hat, mug, decal producers you designate.

Let me know,

Ken

I need some input from you Jamie (everyone and anyone else!) so we can get this going ASAP. We also need to decide what exactly we are going to offer as far as Hats, Shirts, stickers, etc. As soon as we finalize the artwork I would like to see about dash plaques and see if Dan Dixon can machine the design into some dog tags.
JRust
I don't know Drew! I'd like to see Crater Lake incorporated in the picture but I am not sure how. I know squat about design. Hats are kind of a pain in the ass. I don't remember there being alot of interest in hats in previous years. I'm open to whatever though if the designers have something they think works for hats. I guess we aren't out any money as people will need to preorder.

I know this was a big boon to the WCR fund last year. Really helped keep the cost of the event down & had money left over. That is going to help pay for the AutoX. Or the possibility is there for it anyway.
montoya 73 2.0
The hat thing was a thought after Ken mentioned it. We don't have to include them.

I'm thinking the sail with the date and location on the front upper right corner. Then on the back Crater Lake with a few 914's in the foreground (see below)? Any suggestions on colors of the cars?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
JoeSharp
Good morning Gentelmen. I was just thinking of this yesterday. The easyest way would to let Ken's wife just change the date. Water and pine tres in the background. But it won't really look like Carter Lake. So my sugestion is to ask her. Sorry I can't remebr her name.
JRust
Hey Drew anything new with the design? I need to start putting costs together to figure out registration. I doubt the design will change the pricing structure much. So if we can get what the cost will be for shirts in increments. Say 40,60,80,100 as I know quite a few members that can't be there would like some. However the price break works. Typically the more we order the cheaper it gets. I want to have the registration cost finalized by the end of the month if possible. Of course alot of that relies on track. Talk to you soon
montoya 73 2.0
I contacted Ken again, he hasn't replied as of yet. I invited him to be in this forum so I hope he chimes in soon!
McMark
Whoops, I've been snoozing. yawn.gif

I say just give them the info and let them make the design. They do a great job and they've got the 'eye' for this stuff. I like keeping the theme going though. Consistency.
JRust
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Jan 20 2011, 10:44 AM) *

I contacted Ken again, he hasn't replied as of yet. I invited him to be in this forum so I hope he chimes in soon!

Here is Ken's number 831-262-4222. Rob gave it to me the other night. Hopefully we can get something squared away there soon. It would be great to get an order thread started with what it will look like.The sooner we get it the better we can assess what costs will be. Hopefully we can get alot of extra shirts sold to help keep registration costs low.
montoya 73 2.0
I just spoke to Ken, He will be joining this thread soon possibly with some show and tell! biggrin.gif

QUOTE(JRust @ Jan 28 2011, 09:57 PM) *

QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Jan 20 2011, 10:44 AM) *

Here is Ken's number 831-262-4222. Rob gave it to me the other night. Hopefully we can get something squared away there soon. It would be great to get an order thread started with what it will look like.The sooner we get it the better we can assess what costs will be. Hopefully we can get alot of extra shirts sold to help keep registration costs low.

JRust
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Jan 29 2011, 02:53 PM) *

I just spoke to Ken, He will be joining this thread soon possibly with some show and tell! biggrin.gif

drooley.gif I am so waiting too drooley.gif . Thanks in advance Ken
Britain Smith
Maybe run the idea past the ChuckC guy who did the fantastic drawing of Chris Foley's car.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-...-1297133505.jpg
montoya 73 2.0
Dan Dixon has made these from 16ga. Polished Stainless (mirror finish), He has said he probably will darken the etching. what do you all think?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

He has them at $4.50 ea. with a minimum of 30 pieces.
McMark
Those are cool! The font isn't my favorite. But I'm nit-picky. I like them regardless.
kenschipper
Sorry for the delay in joining the Forum. Will be working on ideas the next few days. Hope to add crater lake and pines to previous designs to see how they look. Will post examples when they are available.

Ken Schipper
montoya 73 2.0
Thank you Ken. Look forward to seeing your design.
JRust
QUOTE(kenschipper @ Feb 17 2011, 05:37 PM) *

Sorry for the delay in joining the Forum. Will be working on ideas the next few days. Hope to add crater lake and pines to previous designs to see how they look. Will post examples when they are available.

Ken Schipper

Awesome Ken piratenanner.gif I can't wait to see them. Will the design make much difference on the price? Trying to figure registration costs now. IT would help to have an idea what the shirts will run. Within reason of course as prices change. A close guestimate would be cool. Say for 40 - 60 or 80 ? Thanks- Jamie
danno55
Hey guys,

Thanks for including me in the super secret planning committee biggrin.gif The font on the dog tags can totally be changed. Drew...you mentioned using a "Porsche" font. Pardon my ignorance, but is there really such a thing? I'm sure I could copy the font if I had an example of the letters...anyone know where I would find this? Also is everyone in agreement on adding "Medford, OR" to the bottom?
montoya 73 2.0
McMark has Vector lettering IIRC. I believe he is responsible for the 914 world logo.

Hey Mark, Can you send or let us know where we can download the Vector art?
McMark
Here's the font.

Adding 914World logo on there somewhere would be nice as well. Either under the car, or on the back. I can provide artwork for that as well.
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(danno55 @ Mar 3 2011, 08:36 PM) *

Hey guys,

Thanks for including me in the super secret planning committee biggrin.gif The font on the dog tags can totally be changed. Drew...you mentioned using a "Porsche" font. Pardon my ignorance, but is there really such a thing? I'm sure I could copy the font if I had an example of the letters...anyone know where I would find this? Also is everyone in agreement on adding "Medford, OR" to the bottom?

I vote for "Medford,Oregon." on the bottom. I also would like to see the 914 world logo on the backside.
danno55
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Mar 6 2011, 03:14 PM) *

Hey guys,

I vote for "Medford,Oregon." on the bottom. I also would like to see the 914 world logo on the backside.

Mark,

Thanks for the font. I actually ended up finding it online. You don't by chance have the letters in a dxf do you? Same for the 914world logo? I could probably add the logo to the top if I shrink the car down, but I won't be able to etch anything on the back side. That's super cosmetic laser stuff and that's just not what's availble to me. Honestly I'm a little worried about the 914world logo just being a blob because of how small it'll have to be, but I'll give it a try. So do we think "MEDFORD, OR" or "MEDFORD, OREGON"?
montoya 73 2.0
Medford, Or.
kenschipper
Attached is a proof of the logo artwork. Let me know if it looks good. I will need an email to send the final version to as it is larger than what the fourm will allow.

Ken Schipper
831-262-4222
montoya 73 2.0
Oh Ken, Beautiful work! one question, what is that vertical line between the "E" and the "S" on the word "WEST"?

I would also like everyones opinion on the color of the car. I would like a different color than last years (orange, IIRC?) I like orange but It would be nice to have a different color.

Other than that, It looks great Ken!!
JRust
Love it Ken! What will shirts run?
Jakeodoule
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Mar 10 2011, 12:31 PM) *

Oh Ken, Beautiful work! one question, what is that vertical line between the "E" and the "S" on the word "WEST"?

I would also like everyones opinion on the color of the car. I would like a different color than last years (orange, IIRC?) I like orange but It would be nice to have a different color.

Other than that, It looks great Ken!!

Is there other colors? WTF.gif barf.gif

Looks good to me. I'm sure the line is just a file glitch.
It won't be there in the full res version
kenschipper
The line is just an artifact caused by shrinking it small enough to fit on the upload.

Let me know the final color. You probably want something that will stand out from the background.

Ken

PS Still will need an email address to send the full size version.
montoya 73 2.0
Orange is good John (jakeodoule) but we probably need to air brush a dent in the drivers side rear quarter panel! biggrin.gif Oh, we can't see the drivers side. Never mind then!

I vote to keep it Orange Ken. send the file to drewm@jeld-wen.com
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(danno55 @ Mar 9 2011, 06:49 PM) *

QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Mar 6 2011, 03:14 PM) *

Hey guys,

Mark,

Thanks for the font. I actually ended up finding it online. You don't by chance have the letters in a dxf do you? Same for the 914world logo? I could probably add the logo to the top if I shrink the car down, but I won't be able to etch anything on the back side. That's super cosmetic laser stuff and that's just not what's availble to me. Honestly I'm a little worried about the 914world logo just being a blob because of how small it'll have to be, but I'll give it a try. So do we think "MEDFORD, OR" or "MEDFORD, OREGON"?

Dan, if I model the dog tag with the text on it, what is the size of text you need and the depth that the laser cuts? Also, can you send me the dxf file of the tag with the silhouette?

Mark, do you have a vector file of the 914 World logo?
McMark
How's this? I can remove the globe if it's too complicated. I don't have a vector of the car outline, so you'll have to add that. I can post a DXF if this design is agreeable.
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 13 2011, 11:19 AM) *

How's this? I can remove the globe if it's too complicated. I don't have a vector of the car outline, so you'll have to add that. I can post a DXF if this design is agreeable.

I like it. How about two dxf files? One with globe and one without.
kenschipper
Final files were emailed to the address noted below today. About 6gb so let me know if there were any issues.

Send the file to drewm@jeld-wen.com

Ken
montoya 73 2.0
received the zip file. no problems opening.

Jamie, here are the questions proposed by Ken in order to receive cost quotes for the T-shirts;

"It is all quantity based. If you can, give me a minimum for each size/type (mens/womens/kids, all cotton, light, mid or heavy weight, long or short sleeved and color (black or dark green are my favorites)) and then I will have the vendors quote a couple of prices going up from the counts your provide."
McMark
I think ConeDodger has the shirt quantities from last year. The DB that had all that info died since the last event. So I don't have that info.
montoya 73 2.0
I just received a PM from Rob (conedodger) about last years WCR shirts:

Drew,
Ultimately about 100 shirts were sold and I don't know the distribution size wise. Suffice it to say that it was skewed toward the larger sizes. I know there was 1 or 2 4XL and the greatest group was XL.

I would presell, that way you get the exact number of everything you need. Just post your design and tell them an amount. This is what gave us the greatest portion of our budget and allowed us to give you guys that seed money.

I will drop in and help if I am needed...
Rob

I would guess the majority were XL and XXL.

Should I wait to post the artwork or do it now in a seperate thread asking who is in and for what sizes?

Drew.
McMark
Get a price and post all the info at once. Take orders until a certain date. Collect money up front (this is where the 'accountant' earns their paycheck wink.gif ). Build a bit of a buffer into the cost. $10 per shirt is cheap, $15 per shirt is about right, IMHO.
montoya 73 2.0
you are the man Mark. thumb3d.gif
JRust
I know it is quantity based. I was hoping Ken could give us an estimate. We know the shirt size will vary a bit. If we can get a basic estimate from him. Have him error on the high side with his estimate. Then we add a bit to that & go to preselling them. The sooner we start the presell the better biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
You should get an estimate local to the person handling the shirts. Have Ken send the art work in varying color saturation. Full color is most expensive, and it gets cheaper from there. If you use PayPal when people order, make sure they include a note with size, number of shirts, screen name and address if they are not picking up at the event. Tracking this down after the fact is a pain.
If you get on this now, you can have your shirts distributed at the event. My one little nightmare was that delays with the shirts caused them to be available for pick up on Thursday morning with the event gathering that afternoon in Tahoe!!! I had to leave so I ended up giving free registration to someone for picking them up and delivering them to Tahoe.
I am available for questions if you have any... PM me directly... Oh, by the way $15 is a little on the low side if you want to use the shirts to offset other costs. $20 is very palatable to our membership. That is what we charged and they had no proble with it...
Rob
montoya 73 2.0
I went to a local shirt place, Here is what I was quoted at a count of 100 shirts;

6.1 oz. white shirt or Light (Grey or what the industry calls Ash, a little heavier than white) Sizes Small - XL with full color logo on back and (if we want) a single black logo on left upper chest are $8.00

Same shirt as above except "Black" (all black text, lines and art will be changed to white) is $9.50

2XL - add $2.00 to original price
3XL - add $4.00 to original price
4XL - add $6.00 to original price

Jamie check in your area, or whomever would like to get a 2nd or 3rd quote would be nice! Are we close to you guys from last year Rob?
McMark
Is that screen printed or transfer?

Seems too cheap for full color screen printed. So keep in mind that the transfer printing shirts aren't as high quality, don't last as long, but are much cheaper.
montoya 73 2.0
If the order is under a dozen, it will be a transfer. It wouldn't be worth there time and money for set-up and such to silkscreen less than a dozen. It makes sense.

It will be silkscreen with 4 colors (atleast he said it was 4 colors being used in the logo).
McMark
Ah, okay. That makes more sense. thumb3d.gif
montoya 73 2.0
I think I'm going to go back and be sure about how many colors he is quoting versus what is there.
ConeDodger
Drew,
Send me a copy of the artwork and I will run it by the supplier that did it last year. We might be able to get a little bit of a discount if they think they might do an annual thing...

I know for sure they didn't charge extra for larger size shirts except the 4XL that went to BKLA
danno55
Click to view attachment

Ok, after some rearranging (and some help from Mark) here are three different examples of the dogtags. Personally...i think they all look a bit "busy" with everything all on one side. Obviously, anything and everything can be scaled to what ever size looks good, I just threw this together for everyone elses opinions. Since its not possible to etch the back side of these...would it be possible to make a small sticker (was thinking of the 914 world logo) to go on the backside? Just a thought. Hopefully the pdf is easily viewed, I couldn't get it to just post on here.

montoya 73 2.0
I like the middle one. I see what your saying as far as being busy. Maybe we can have the world logo etched on the back (Mark)? How would that look and would that even work?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.