Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hershey Swap Meet 2011
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
VaccaRabite
In just a few months it will be mid April. And that means we need to start planning for the Hershey Swap Meet 2011!

The meet will be on April 23-24, in the usual place at the usual time.

As in previous years, we need to grab it by the horns and make the Invasion happen - or else it won't.

As usual, I am putting out the call for a leader. Someone to spearhead the planning efforts. Make sure we get our spots, lodging, and a place to eat. We do not have Dr. DrEvil any more on the scene to coordinate some of this information.

Like last year, my attendance is on unsure footing. There is a major conference that is taking place that week which may have me in Vegas one or both days of Hershey. Last year I was able to sneak in for a day, and I am hopeful that this year I will be in for both. But it means I am not the ideal person to lead the effort. I will be happy to do whatever I can to make sure the event is a success, however.

So, which of you rogues will stand up and point the way to another great MidEngine Invasion?

Zach
jsayre914
I am going for Saturday. I was just thinking about Hershey earlier today smile.gif Great minds think alike. I will help however i can, I would love to do the caravan again from the Hotel. That was actually my favorite part wub.gif

INVASION !!!
VaccaRabite
One of my favorite parts is the drive up 83 watching all the cool old porsche's converge on Hershey. Not to mention cruising Hershey PA and finding all the different cars scattered at the different hotels.

Zach
jsayre914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jan 14 2011, 12:05 PM) *

One of my favorite parts is the drive up 83 watching all the cool old porsche's converge on Hershey. Not to mention cruising Hershey PA and finding all the different cars scattered at the different hotels.

Zach

agree.gif
But i only passed 1 914 last year dry.gif (i do only live 40 min away)
zymurgist
Thinking my 911 needs to be in the "for sale" corral.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jan 14 2011, 10:06 AM) *

In just a few months it will be mid April. And that means we need to start planning for the Hershey Swap Meet 2011!
I expent to attend and will have at least a couple of spaces (the Titan takes all of one...). I will have my 10x10 EZ-up and a folding chair or two.

If you guys want to piggy-back onto my space allocation, let me know before too long how many spaces you figure it'll take...

Other than a space in the swap proper and a vehicle big enough to haul stuff in, I donno what more you'd want. I'm not in a position to play travel agent to arrange hotels and catering and such... Pre-parties and post-parties are fun for the guys making it a multi-day event, which is cool, but it's just a daytrip for me...
turboman808
Looks like I will have to sit it out this year.
mepstein
I plan to rent a spot. How do I make sure I reserve a spot in the teener compound?
flipb
I had a blast last year but I don't think I'll make it to this one. Timing's not great for me, plus I'm hoping to cash in one big Kitchen Pass so that I can attend the Potomac PCA Driving Clinic at Summit Point. (The fact that it's on my birthday should help my case.)
ClayPerrine
Travis and Robyn Howard, and Betty and I showed up for the first one. We are talking about showing up again.

Still debating, but it looks good.

hot_shoe914
I am making plans to attend but will not be driving a teener. Sorry, don't know enough about the area to plan anything.

Shoe
okieflyr
I'm planning to attend and probably getting two slots for the car/trailer.
I'll pull the small trailer down with the engine and parts on it. My parts load and weather will determine if the 914 brings the trailer or the Suby. For me this is one day event and return home at the end of the long day. I may be able to bring the ez up if the weather is bad for add'l shelter that everyone is welcome too.
914itis
I am planning on beeing there. This will be my first . i am not sure what I can help with, but if there is anything you guys think that I can help with, just let me know...
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(ppetion @ Jan 14 2011, 11:01 PM) *

i am not sure what I can help with, but if there is anything you guys think that I can help with, just let me know...

I could use some gas money......... just sayin' confused24.gif
Dr Evil
YAY, I am off that weekend smile.gif Looks like I will be going.
kharma
I only got to meet the row of cars last year, maybe I'll do one better this year!

Gint
Is this a Porsche specific Hershey event or ? Where's the nearest airport?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Gint @ Jan 15 2011, 09:58 AM) *

The world's largest 1-day Porsche-only swap meet.
You will find the official stuff here: Central PA PCA Region Website. It's their event and that is _the_ authoritative information resource.

Nearest is probably Harrisburg, but good luck finding a good fare there.
Philadelphia or Baltimore are better choices and you can probably rent a car for the difference in airfare...

If you were to fly into PHL you could probably find someone to pick you up at the airport, put you up for the night, drive you to the meet, and get you back...
zymurgist
Anyone sold a car there? Do you have to get a vendor space or is that sale area run differently?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Jan 15 2011, 10:23 AM) *

Anyone sold a car there? Do you have to get a vendor space or is that sale area run differently?

The 'cars for sale' area is typically a different place than the "parts for sale" standard vendors spaces. For one thing, getting in and out of the vendor spaces is quite difficult and quite a PITA for anyone wanting to see it run or go for a test drive.

You probably _could_ sell a whole car in a vendors' space. You can't sell parts anywhere else.

There are separate parking areas for the concours (people's choice), model-specific corrals (e.g. the 914 MEI), and the cars-for-sale.

But check the CPA site for this year's specifics...
zymurgist
I didn't see anything on their website other than vendor spaces... that's why I asked.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Jan 15 2011, 10:32 AM) *

I didn't see anything on their website other than vendor spaces... that's why I asked.
This early on they don't have as much information as they usually do... Just the link to the vendor's preregistration form is kinda lame...

I've been doing this since 2003 and how I described it is how it's worked before. They could always change it but I expect not much.
kharma
The for sale corral is near the entrance and relatively easy to get in and out of for test drives. I think we were taking $20 a car last year, no prereg necessary? My parents are pretty involved with the CPA-PCA, alternated my time between roaming the vendors and helping out (in my case, staring at all the cars coming in!).
plas76targa
QUOTE(Gint @ Jan 15 2011, 07:58 AM) *

Gint, if you find better rates to Baltimore or Dulles Airport we can get you up to Hershey PA easily.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Well, If the creek don't rise , this 73 yr. old will be there get there Fri. (social

time and eats. Sat the Swap & plenty of B.S. with my peeps. The wife thinks

im a crazy old loon. My ans. to her ,( You married me didn't you )!!!!

My back is doing well, the best it's been in yrs. That means no drugs

Clear mind. Zack I will do what I can from this distance. To everyone

who thinks it,s to far it will be 1,000 miles round trip. And boy is it ever worth

it, the best fun standing up. See you ALL there. Dave slap.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(plas76targa @ Jan 15 2011, 01:32 PM) *

QUOTE(Gint @ Jan 15 2011, 07:58 AM) *

Gint, if you find better rates to Baltimore or Dulles Airport we can get you up to Hershey PA easily.

For serious. Land where you can. We will come and get you.

Zach
rdr
This is my 3rd year as well. Will be there as it's a 50 minute drive or so. I also love the fact you see older Porsche's up 83. I don't think I will get to bring my 74 as it should be in the paint shop by then. Usually bring a truck to bring home all the goodies! Last year snagged some real bargains on body pieces.

I can strongly recommend it to those on the fence!

Take care,

Rick
Dr Evil
Gint, you can see about flying into Pittsburgh as well. I can pick you up and we can drive the 4 hours there together.
Gint
Still up in the air. Route66 is in April now I heard.
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(Gint @ Jan 23 2011, 10:48 PM) *

Still up in the air. Route66 is in April now I heard.

Yeah, but Route 66 and Hershey are 3 weeks apart. Hershey is awesome.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Jan 15 2011, 09:09 AM) *

QUOTE(Gint @ Jan 15 2011, 09:58 AM) *

The world's largest 1-day Porsche-only swap meet.
You will find the official stuff here: Central PA PCA Region Website. It's their event and that is _the_ authoritative information resource.

Nearest is probably Harrisburg, but good luck finding a good fare there.
Philadelphia or Baltimore are better choices and you can probably rent a car for the difference in airfare...

If you were to fly into PHL you could probably find someone to pick you up at the airport, put you up for the night, drive you to the meet, and get you back...

We did this two years ago. It was cheaper to rent the car for the weekend than to try to find a flight into Harrisburg.

We flew to Philly, had a cheesesteak, did some site seeing, and then took off for Hershey. Good weekend, shipped a lot of stuff home to Texas via fedex.
VaccaRabite
Well, it looks like I will be able to make Hershey for sure. unless things at work change dramatically I will not have to go to the conference the weekend of Hershey.

Zach
rmital
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jan 24 2011, 09:35 AM) *

Well, it looks like I will be able to make Hershey for sure. unless things at work change dramatically I will not have to go to the conference the weekend of Hershey.

Zach

thanks for reminding me Zach...I think I'll email my boss to let him know not to expect me around the office that weekend.

Looking forward to any event; got a serious case of cabin fever.
VaccaRabite
Do we have a steering committee yet?
I have to admit when I thought I was not going to be able to go I was not paying very close attention.
Zach
jsayre914
I will lead the caravan again cheer.gif

are we meeting at the same hotel (palmyra) it seemed like a nice spot. It was a 10 min drive to the swap. I am trying to talk the wife into comming this year, so i am not sure exactly how early i can be there. need to line up the babysitter etc..

The way I see it....

We need 2 groups. The caravan group. The swap group.

The swap group: needs to find a good empty row and put some cones up "914 parking only" and try to herd all the 914's that dont know about the invasion into our row. Also setup the tent in the swap area.

The caravan group: meet at hotel, drink coffee, socialize, shoot the shit: drive your 914 driving.gif

I would like to be in the caravan group. rolleyes.gif

how early are the vendors gettin there anyway confused24.gif
i dont remember what time we got there last year, but i do remember we ran out of parking spaces and had to move some fencing unsure.gif So mabey we should leave a little bit earlier???
ClayPerrine
I am trying to convince myself that 1,424 miles, 23 hours and 89 gallons of gasoline are worth it to drive my 38 year old 914/6 to the Hershey swap meet......and then have to turn around and repeat the trip in the other direction to drive home.

screwy.gif idea.gif

And if my wife is reading this... yes, I am crazy. Love you too!

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 25 2011, 12:03 PM) *

I am trying to convince myself that 1,424 miles, 23 hours and 89 gallons of gasoline are worth it to drive my 38 year old 914/6 to the Hershey swap meet......and then have to turn around and repeat the trip in the other direction to drive home.

screwy.gif idea.gif

This thought just crossed my mind...

"You could always stop in Memphis and pickup HotShoe."

Then the followup though....

"You would have to let that batshit crazy guy drive your 914/6!"

Dr Evil
At least Donald is the silent, pensive type av-943.gif

I tell you what!
914itis
QUOTE(rmital @ Jan 24 2011, 11:53 AM) *

Zach

thanks for reminding me Zach...I think I'll email my boss to let him know not to expect me around the office that weekend.

Ray, maybe i can meet you somewhere in NJ and we can folow each other.
914itis

Zach

piratenanner.gif you are my inspiration for getting this on the road, I definiltely want to meet you
rdr
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 25 2011, 01:03 PM) *

screwy.gif idea.gif

Duh... hell yeah! beerchug.gif
rmital
QUOTE(ppetion @ Jan 25 2011, 01:14 PM) *

Zach

definitely....the last two years we had at least half a dozen 914s from Northern Jersey meeting up. Picked up others on the way.... driving.gif
914itis
QUOTE(rmital @ Jan 25 2011, 02:17 PM) *

QUOTE(ppetion @ Jan 25 2011, 01:14 PM) *

Zach

definitely....the last two years we had at least half a dozen 914s from Northern Jersey meeting up. Picked up other on the way.... driving.gif

Great!
Thats a plan.
rmital
not to put any undo pressure on Jaime, but hopefully he could come up with the artwork, make a modification and make them available on his website (at least that's how he did it 2 years ago).... confused24.gif
Click to view attachment
or someone could come up with a new design. tried that last year....with no success.

whether or not there's going to be a meet and greet would determine sponsors for the back of the shirt....obviously biggrin.gif
914itis
QUOTE(rmital @ Jan 25 2011, 02:25 PM) *

not to put any undo pressure on Jaime, but hopefully he could come up with the artwork, make a modification and make them available on his website (at least that's how he did it 2 years ago).... confused24.gif
Click to view attachment
or someone could come up with a new design. tried that last year....with no success.

whether or not there's going to be a meet and greet would determine sponsors for the back of the shirt....obviously biggrin.gif

You think we should have a new thread for the meet, for location, time Etc?...
rmital
QUOTE(ppetion @ Jan 25 2011, 02:29 PM) *

You think we should have a new thread for the meet, for location, time Etc?...

yes...but not till the beginning of April. Plans seem to change right up till the last minute!!

we seem to meet at one of the last rest stops on the GSParkway, right before you get on Route 78 West
914itis
Ok , thanks,

oldschool
QUOTE(rmital @ Jan 25 2011, 11:25 AM) *

Click to view attachment

yeah if some one wants to redo the design. No worries
rmital
Jaime's work is top notch...quality second to known. Not to mention, he handles all the ordering/shipping/etc.

flag.gif

and maybe get some freeze dried Chile Rellenos with every order of 5 or more shirts.....except for Dave of course happy11.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(rmital @ Jan 25 2011, 02:25 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I am looking to see if I still have the artwork for that shirt. I made it, but I think it was lost in the great office flood of 2009.

It might still reside in email somewhere. I am hopeful that I can find it, I was proud of that work.

I found the EPS file that has the banner art - which has the major design elements on it. A start. One other place I can look and see.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.