Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ingnition lock removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914itis
How do I remove the ingnition lock on a 70? do I need to remove the steering wheel?
ScottD914
Take a look at the tech article on this site. Great info.

link:
914itis
QUOTE(ScottD914 @ Feb 8 2011, 10:18 AM) *

Take a look at the tech article on this site. Great info.

link:

thanks, but I did/t see any article for a 1970.
VaccaRabite
You mean the seatbelt thing?

That is done with wires under the cabin carpet, IIRC. Big yellow ones.

Zach
r_towle
yes, pull the steering wheel and the plastic flange that covers the ignition switch.

If you dont have the key and the steering lock is engaged, you can either get a very small screw driver in there to push it back and disengage it, or you can put the wheel back on and give it two or three really hard snaps to the left to break the tab off all together.
I have done both. On a parts car I needed to move fast...just broke the tab off.

You can't remove the ignition switch, the keyed portion, without the steering lock disengaged.
After that is done,it slides out the front...
I cant remember exactly, but there is a screw or something holding the lock in place....you will see it once you remove the plastic cover.

Rich
markb
Go to the top right of the 914World page to 914 info. Then go to the Tech articles, and look for my re-key thread. About a third of the way down, you'll see pics of how to remove an early ignitions switch.
914itis
QUOTE(markb @ Feb 8 2011, 12:26 PM) *

Go to the top right of the 914World page to 914 info. Then go to the Tech articles, and look for my re-key thread. About a third of the way down, you'll see pics of how to remove an early ignitions switch.

Thanks all
914itis
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Feb 8 2011, 10:46 AM) *

You mean the seatbelt thing?

That is done with wires under the cabin carpet, IIRC. Big yellow ones.

Zach

what seatbelt thing? lol, have you been drinking this early? you gotta save some for hershey:beer2:
VaccaRabite
Its my bad. I was thinking of the ignition kill that was factory if you did not buckle your seat belts. many cars had those disabled (mine did before I bought it).

Look forward to seeing you and your car at Hershey!

Zach
r_towle
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Feb 9 2011, 03:02 PM) *

Its my bad. I was thinking of the ignition kill that was factory if you did not buckle your seat belts. many cars had those disabled (mine did before I bought it).

Look forward to seeing you and your car at Hershey!

Zach

One year only "feature" if I remember correctly.

Rich
Dave_Darling
In theory, 1974 model year only.

But there have been a number of 75s that had it as well...

--DD
914itis
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 9 2011, 08:48 PM) *

In theory, 1974 model year only.

But there have been a number of 75s that had it as well...

--DD

how do I didconnect the harnest coming from the turn signal switch, is there some kind of plug to disconnect or is it running straight to the fuse panel? if there is a plug, where is it located?
type47
I think at the base of the steering column. The turn signal stalk and the wiper stalk have plugs at the base that should pull out. If you can find a pix of the stalks in for sale info, you can see the plugs to get an idea.
pcar916
I think this is what you're lookin' for at the base of the column.

Click to view attachment

Ignore the red thing...

Good Luck!
jt914-6
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Feb 23 2011, 03:29 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Ignore the red thing...

Good Luck!

The red thing is Ron's emergency crotch saver device....... poke.gif av-943.gif
914itis
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Feb 23 2011, 04:45 PM) *

QUOTE(pcar916 @ Feb 23 2011, 03:29 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Ignore the red thing...

Good Luck!

The red thing is Ron's emergency crotch saver device....... poke.gif av-943.gif

No, this maybe a later year, mine is a 70, and I removed the colum and the wire goes under the dash and............................................. I did not noticed any plug.
markb
Under the dash, to the right of the column. It's a 10(?) pin plug. Similar to what is on the relay board, only with a male & a female side.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.