Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SPEAKERS
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914.SBC
There are not too many places to mount speakers other than the door panels. But If you guys have mounted them anyhwere else, I would be curious to know.

Thanks
JmuRiz
Morph's 6.5" speaker pods are the best...no hacking up the door panels. I did make a console with some up-firing 3.5" speakers, works well at focusing sound right at you w/ the top off at-speed.
underthetire
Yep, put some 41/2 speakers in the stock location with an mdf adapter board. Can't even tell, then a sub in the center consul or one of morphs stealth sub. Frys had Boston acoustics plates on sale a while back that fit right in the stock location.
914.SBC
QUOTE(underthetire @ Feb 13 2011, 05:32 PM) *

Yep, put some 41/2 speakers in the stock location with an mdf adapter board. Can't even tell, then a sub in the center consul or one of morphs stealth sub. Frys had Boston acoustics plates on sale a while back that fit right in the stock location.

rick 918-S
Morphs speaker housings in the stock location. They will hold a larger speaker and they are aimed at you. Don't hack the door panels.
914.SBC
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 13 2011, 06:16 PM) *

Morphs speaker housings in the stock location. They will hold a larger speaker and they are aimed at you. Don't hack the door panels.

They got me listed as a "newbie" for a reason. Where is the stock location?
Tom_T
welcome.png

In the corners of the driver & passenger footwells, as in the pix of Johnnie L's "Orangina" in the pix below -

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
^ these are the stock OE housings, Morph's look similar & fit there (he's canned the door speakers/panels - or will do soon BTW - bad idea door speakers).

See him in the member vendors' section, or 914a&p.com IIRC (914 Appearance & Performance - if all else fails, but mention 914world for discount).

I've also seen this which may fit behind the passenger or both seats sitting vertical on the side - depending on how tall you & passenger are.. They're actually located in Costa Mesa.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=230584186094

... and this for stealth 3.5 mm modern audio into a classic radio:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=230584560671

But what the heck - you can't hear the radio if you're cranking that T4 motor through the gears anyway! biggrin.gif
mikea100
Check out this thread.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...amp;hl=speakers

QUOTE(914.SBC @ Feb 13 2011, 08:12 PM) *

There are not too many places to mount speakers other than the door panels. But If you guys have mounted them anyhwere else, I would be curious to know.

Thanks

FlatIV
IPB Image

Purchase here
bfrymire
QUOTE(AndrewPokrandt @ Feb 13 2011, 08:07 PM) *

I have those speakers from AP and they are well made. I got mine with the speakers. Now, I do have a stupid question...

Most modern stereo's have front and rear speakers. So, those would work fine as the fronts. What about the rears? The ones mounted in the doors are usually the rears. So, AP's speakers handle the front.... I like the post above with the slimline speakers, but there is precious little space to mount speakers.

-- brett
rktmn247
I have this ready to install when I get mine back on the road. Only plan on running 2 ch and a morph foot well sub. Tested it all in the house and hope it sounds as good in the car. aktion035.gif

http://www.clarion.com/us/en/products/2008...2385079386.html
ConeDodger
I have what I would describe as a very good sounding system in my car. I have the Morph subbox with JL Audio 8" sub powered by an amp. I have a component Polk set with the midrange speakers in the Morph speaker pods mounted in the stock location. I mounted the tweeters on top of the vinyl forward of the dash. The amp and crossovers are inside my center console box behind the gauges...

Very rich full sound... This picture is before the dash and window went back in.
gothspeed
QUOTE(AndrewPokrandt @ Feb 13 2011, 08:07 PM) *

That place is awesome!!! They will be getting some of my money soon!!
rohar
You guys have it all wrong. You mount the speakers in the living room. When you're in your teener, you're supposed to be entertained by the engine!
rick 918-S
QUOTE(rohar @ Feb 13 2011, 11:02 PM) *

You guys have it all wrong. You mount the speakers in the living room. When you're in your teener, you're supposed to be entertained by the engine!

agree.gif but if you have to do speakers the door panels are only inches from the stock location. You would be wiser to make a cabinet behind the seats on the space at the floor. Even with the seats moved all the way back there is a nice space there.

Stock location with Morphs setup, sub in the console, rears behind the seats.
914.SBC
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 13 2011, 09:40 PM) *

agree.gif but if you have to do speakers the door panels are only inches from the stock location. You would be wiser to make a cabinet behind the seats on the space at the floor. Even with the seats moved all the way back there is a nice space there.

Thank you boyz...

GOTTHESPEED,
Appreicte the link. Just made the purchase.
gothspeed
QUOTE(914.SBC @ Feb 14 2011, 06:15 AM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 13 2011, 09:40 PM) *

Thank you boyz...

GOTTHESPEED,
Appreicte the link. Just made the purchase.
Andrew posted the link shades.gif ............. that place is great!!! I will be buying a set of those among other things ............... post pictures when you get them smile.gif
McMark
My 'behind the seats' thread from 2004 (yikes.gif) is here.

IPB Image
Rod
Or just do it properly in the doors!!!

IPB Image

IPB Image
gothspeed
QUOTE(Rod @ Feb 14 2011, 12:35 PM) *

Or just do it properly in the doors!!!

Cool! How does it sound? Did you put a plastic speaker dish/enclosure behind it, to protect from the elements?
Rod
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Feb 14 2011, 09:01 PM) *

Cool! How does it sound? Did you put a plastic speaker dish/enclosure behind it, to protect from the elements?

Yeah sounds great! I'm running a Mcintosh MX406 Head unit, Alto UCS Pro, Two Mcintosh amplifiers. Those door speakers are Italian and I have Image dynamics Horns under the dash, and Infinity ribbon tweeters in the A pillars.. Sounds a lot when I list it like that!!

There's something called a Skinz moisture guard behind the speaker to protect it from the elements... smash.gif

iamchappy
Going into the door panels is no big deal to me, used door panels are way to easy to come by.

I put them in my firewall also, but i do have a few spares of those laying around too. biggrin.gif
Rod
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Feb 15 2011, 02:54 AM) *

Going into the door panels is no big deal to me, used door panels are way to easy to come by.

I put them in my firewall also, but i do have a few spares of those laying around too. biggrin.gif

Are these going through the firewall?? Very interested to see what you did if you don't mind!!
Rod
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Feb 15 2011, 02:54 AM) *

Are these going through the firewall?? Very interested to see what you did if you don't mind!!
iamchappy
Stainless steel mixing bowls..... w00t.gif
Rod
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Feb 15 2011, 08:37 PM) *

Stainless steel mixing bowls..... w00t.gif

Wow, great idea! I'm desperate to find more space in my 914 for Sub-bass, I wanted to go behind the seats as you have but was scared of cutting the firewall.. I like your idea a lot, but I don't think that the volume in those bowls would be enough for what I'm after, I'd probably need a cubic foot or so.. My second thought was remove the fuel tank, put in a fuel cell instead of the spare wheel and build the sub cabinet from steel where the fuel tank sits..

gothspeed
I like that mixing bowl idea smile.gif ............ there are a few subs that do not 'require' a large volume of cabinet to project deep bass. Nice job biggrin.gif!!!!
iamchappy
These are 8" sealed encloser type Quart Subs, there is plenty of room for 10's.

Believe me you can hear and feel them just fine, anything more would be over kill kinda like my turbo engine.
79HPGar
I bought some Infinity Kappas 4x6 for the stock location. They fit the holes but the hose behind the speakers gets in the way. Any ideas or suggestions.
Mike Bellis
flip them upside down and slightly push the corrogated hose out of the way. You can even crush it a little without restricting the heat too much.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.