Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What the world needs now is another group buy thread.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Valy
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 9 2011, 02:16 PM) *

QUOTE(smg914 @ Mar 9 2011, 06:01 AM) *

QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Mar 8 2011, 10:01 AM) *

At the risk of being pummeled by the collective, but is it too late or even possible to alter their dimensions to more closely match the *early* OE caps?
The early versions had a more pronounced "lip" that covered more of the machined area at the center of the wheel. New ones available now have a decidedly narrower Lip

It was the very first thing I noticed when I saw the photo. I know this doesn't matter to most on this forum with the extremely reasonable cost being more important, however, was there a reason the lip that meets the wheel couldn't have been made like the factory original ones? It should be approx. 4mm wide.

These are actually a little different, you are correct. It was necessary to take up a little of the edge and make them about .120 taller, to get enough offset for the inner rim. I originally tried to make them solid, but it needed more give to keep the outside edge from shearing when installed. This was a small trade off that was made to make it more durable. The outside edge or outer OD is the same, but we did encroach on the inner edge slightly. I'll provide the dimmension this evening. We tried to be as true to the original part as possible without compromising the product. I'll also show you why we did this.

mark

Maybe you can add a ring between the cap and wheel, just to close that gap?
Mikey914
I can make the OD on the part larger to make the lip larger, but it will make the part larger. You'll see why I did what I did in the pictures Ill post this evening.

Different materials offer some advantages, but also the problem I ran into here was a disadvantage. The dimensions are pretty close. As I had alleady machined the back of the material I couldn't add to the overall OD.

Mark
Joe Owensby
I would like a set. Thanks for this. JoeO
smg914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 9 2011, 02:51 PM) *

I can make the OD on the part larger to make the lip larger, but it will make the part larger. You'll see why I did what I did in the pictures Ill post this evening.

Different materials offer some advantages, but also the problem I ran into here was a disadvantage. The dimensions are pretty close. As I had alleady machined the back of the material I couldn't add to the overall OD.

Mark

Based on your explanation, you made the right decision. A smaller/shorter lip is better than a cap that looks too large. Thanks!
bobhasissues
Mark,
Another great product!
I'm in for one set.

I second the motion for development of sail panel trim.
Rocky
I am in for a set!!! They are beautiful and will finish off my wheels perfectly.
crxnug
i,ll take a set
Mikey914
I'll break it down so you can "see" what's going on.
I decided to make a "zero clearance" fit for the attachment on the caps. This requires the metal to flex slightly. I had to provide a deeper void in the inside to allow for the flex. This yields a VERY snug fit that will hold the caps on. As these have some mass to them, I didn't want to risk one flying off. The problem it created was that the OD was the same as OEM, we had to shorten the outer "rim" slightly to compensate for the void. Also, to keep the angle correct, we scaled up the height about .120.
You can see the problem area pointed out with the yellow area. Had we not went deeper the retaining lip would fatigue at the edge of the lip as the stress is concentrated there. This could lead to a failure in the future, but stress crack appeared after only one installation and removal cycle, so it was very evident that was a major design issue.
Hope that makes this a little clearer for all.
Mikey914
QUOTE(bobhasissues @ Mar 9 2011, 06:51 PM) *

Mark,
Another great product!
I'm in for one set.

I second the motion for development of sail panel trim.

This is actually under development. I have to finish up a few other things like these, the roofs and the windshield trim, but these will happen, and be much more affordable.
-Mark
jimkelly
what is the proper removal process for these - a rubber hammer - or a hammer a flat screw driver? jim
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Mar 10 2011, 04:26 AM) *

what is the proper removal process for these - a rubber hammer - or a hammer a flat screw driver? jim

I would think a rubber mallet.
natemeins
I'm in for a set, too!!! Thanks a bunch!
Natemeins
Kansas 914
One set for me.

I have a windshield trim set as well if you want to combine shipping - whatever is easier!

I'm in no hurry for either of these - the re-assembly is just beginning.
curt914
Yep...Im in for one set.

Thanks for doing it.

Curt
detoxcowboy
I am all in too, Let me know when to pay and your paypal again.. Joe
Mikey914
The group buy is on here's the link
-

http://shop.914rubber.com/product.sc?produ...mp;categoryId=7

To install you can pop them in with a rubber mallet, and pop them out with any type of extender that will allow you to put pressure on the inside. These will not deform like OEM as I left a lot of metal in there for that reason.

Thanks all!
gary gartner

Mark,
Paypal sent this am.

thanks, again

Gary Gartner beerchug.gif
roadster fan
Hey Mark here is a bump for ya!

I just sent payment thru 914rubber.com, can't wait to see 'em.

Jim
r_towle
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Mar 10 2011, 12:03 PM) *

QUOTE(jimkelly @ Mar 10 2011, 04:26 AM) *

I would think a rubber mallet.

a short piece of pvc pipe and a rubber mallet from behind makes it safe and simple to remove.

I would never put a screw driver near them, or the wheel...something bad will happen.

Rich
mcbrems
I definitely will take a set. Where can I sign up for the chrome windshield trim?
silver74insocal
sent my PP payment thru the linkie, dont worry about combinig shipping im sure its a hassle, thanks Mark KMA.gif
914Mike
I'm in for 2 sets.
Mikey914
QUOTE(mcbrems @ Mar 18 2011, 02:37 PM) *

I definitely will take a set. Where can I sign up for the chrome windshield trim?

I'll process the windshiled trim as soon as I have got production going on them. about 20 days. I don't like sitting on your money any longer than I have to. Looking for product to start shipping 25 +/- days out.
Gint
I need a set of those at the "introductory" price.
shelby/914
I'm in for one set and just sent the paypal. Too bad the link was above your post Gint we could of combined shipping. O'h well it's only 914 money, pretty things for a car that doesn't run yet.
VaccaRabite
Just placed my order!

Zach
Chris H.
Got mine already. It's amazing to see brand-new, totally perfect center caps. Incredible quality Mark! You have really outdone yourself on these. smilie_pokal.gif

Thanks again!
JRust
Got mine the other day! They are NICE drooley.gif
Nie Zu Alt
I just ordered a set and sent PayPal payment. Thanks for another needed product!
minndodger
I just ordered a set. Looking forward to receiving them.
Valy
Bummer!

The caps are nice but won't fit. They are too small for my Fuch wheels.
Anyone else got this problem?

My Fuch part number is 914.361.011.01 production date 9/73.
Internal hole diameter is 66mm.
Cap external diameter is 60mm.

Mark, which wheel did you use for prototyping?

There is also a clearance problem with the wheel hub cap.
Why are those caps solid inside? The added weight will help them fly away confused24.gif

This picture shows the cap all the way to the left side and the gap on the right side.
Click to view attachment

60mm external cap diameter
Click to view attachment

66mm internal hole diameter (I know it looks like the hole is bigger in the picture but it's just an optical illusion - the measurement is correct)
Click to view attachment
Valy
Here is a picture of my wheel.
Click to view attachment
dlkawashima
I received my set today, and like others have already said, they sure look nice.

I used an old (very old) rubber mallet to install the cap, and a wood handle off an old paint roller (to act as the "rod" as mentioned in an earlier post) and a basic hammer to remove the cap from the rim. I'm not sure if my rubber mallet was too soft, but I went all Chris Brown on the cap and yet no matter how hard I beat on it, it simply would not seat. So I took it off (popped off easily) and put a small coating of bearing grease on the cap and the rim, and after a few more whacks, the cap finally seated.

The caps may not pass the CW test, but personally I like them even better than the originals. Thanks Mikey for the quick delivery and for another very fine product. smilie_pokal.gif
dlkawashima
QUOTE(Valy @ Mar 26 2011, 02:14 PM) *

Wow, that's really strange. I took a measurement of my spare rim and one of the caps ......

Click to view attachment

dlkawashima
Markings on the inside of my rim .....

Click to view attachment
pilothyer
Hey Mark.....Thanks for making this available...Pay Pal sent for (2) sets.
I look forward to seeing them on my cars.......Jerry
Valy
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Mar 26 2011, 03:07 PM) *

QUOTE(Valy @ Mar 26 2011, 02:14 PM) *

Wow, that's really strange. I took a measurement of my spare rim and one of the caps ......

Click to view attachment

Thanks for the pics, Dave.
How does it clear the front hub cap? My hub cap hits the wheel cap. I would need the wheel cap to be at least 5mm deeper.
dlkawashima
QUOTE(Valy @ Mar 26 2011, 03:54 PM) *

Thanks for the pics, Dave.
How does it clear the front hub cap? My hub cap hits the wheel cap. I would need the wheel cap to be at least 5mm deeper.

Sorry, I've only tried the wheel caps on the spare rim, so I don't know what kind of clearance/interference they have on the hub caps. Hopefully someone else can answer this one. It'll probably be a week or more before I can check this ...
Mikey914
Not quite sure what's going on with the 2 different diameters. Has someone machined additional clearance? There is only one part number 91436130303, so there should only be one diameter. I did make the clearance tight so you will not loose these if you hit a bump on the freeway. These have a wedge fit so it should accomidate some variation.
Mikey914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 26 2011, 09:12 PM) *

Not quite sure what's going on with the 2 different diameters. Has someone machined additional clearance? There is only one part number 91436130303, so there should only be one diameter. I did make the clearance tight so you will not loose these if you hit a bump on the freeway. These have a wedge fit so it should accomidate some variation.

Actually, after looking at your picture more closely, you can see someone has expanded the opening, at it is no longer centered. To install a center cap in that wheel would place it out of center. I would trade it out and make it your spare.
Valy
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 26 2011, 09:20 PM) *

Actually, after looking at your picture more closely, you can see someone has expanded the opening, at it is no longer centered. To install a center cap in that wheel would place it out of center. I would trade it out and make it your spare.

The holes are centered. The picture angle makes it look like they are not but I checked and are centered.
I have the same hole size in all 4 wheels.

That said, maybe some PO did machine the holes but why? confused24.gif

The other thing is the clearance between the wheel cap and the hub cap. It won't go all the way in because of the hub cap.
914Mike
QUOTE(Valy @ Mar 26 2011, 10:53 PM) *

The other thing is the clearance between the wheel cap and the hub cap. It won't go all the way in because of the hub cap.

Same here, fit the rims OK, but the wheel won't go on with the grease cap in place. I have the grease caps with the two bumps (for easy removal) on my '74. Maybe the smooth ones will work? confused24.gif
Jerry75914
If we are keeping track...I also ran into the issue with them not seating correctly...hits the hub / grease cap. Overall, they are beautiful parts, just don't fit on the front wheel. I imagine this won't be an issue on the rears, but they stick so far out on the front that I don't want to try going down the freeway with them.
bfrymire

One more data point: Mine are also two small for the opening. I will measure them to see if the are the same as Valy...

-- brett
Mikey914
QUOTE(Jerry75914 @ Mar 27 2011, 03:29 PM) *

If we are keeping track...I also ran into the issue with them not seating correctly...hits the hub / grease cap. Overall, they are beautiful parts, just don't fit on the front wheel. I imagine this won't be an issue on the rears, but they stick so far out on the front that I don't want to try going down the freeway with them.

I did only check these on the rear as the wheels aren't ready to mount. I'm looking at making a lower profile cap for the front wheels that I'll make available to those that need them.
-Mark
Mikey914
Also one quick note the casting I used to make these off of was 914.361.011.01.
Valy, do you have an OEM center cap that fits the first wheel? If so there is another casting number for the wheel. Did these 4 lug fuchs get made for VW bugs too? I was wondering if the same casting was opened up for VW application.

It just dosen't make any sense why the holes would be larger on the sam castings.

Anyone have any other info or ideas here?
Valy
QUOTE(bfrymire @ Mar 27 2011, 04:40 PM) *

One more data point: Mine are also two small for the opening. I will measure them to see if the are the same as Valy...

-- brett

This becoming the Sunnyvale syndrome smile.gif

If you got a chance, check the part number on your wheels as well.
I don't have any caps on my wheels. Do you have any?
dlkawashima
After reading that several guys were having interference problems, I decided I should try these caps sooner rather than later. I had to run down to HF and buy a new floor jack, so I only had time to test the front wheel clearance.

Unfortunately it looks like I will have to join the group that can't get the wheel cap to clear the hub. I took some pictures below which will help explain the problem .....

#1. I have the hub with the bumps (build date is 6/73). The diameter is 56.3mm.
#2. (click the image to make it full size) Measuring the stock cap, you can see the inner diameter is approximately 58mm.
#3. Measuring the new cap, the inner diameter is about 56mm.
#4. Putting the wheel on the car and seating it against the hub, you can see that the new cap will not stay seated against the wheel. Obviously, we have an interference problem ...
#5. After taking the cap off, you can see the scratches left by the interference problem (same thing on the opposite side of the cap).
#6. On a positive note, the cap sure looks nice and goes well with the Fuchs!

Click to view attachment

luskesq
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 27 2011, 06:12 PM) *

Also one quick note the casting I used to make these off of was 914.361.011.01.
Valy, do you have an OEM center cap that fits the first wheel? If so there is another casting number for the wheel. Did these 4 lug fuchs get made for VW bugs too? I was wondering if the same casting was opened up for VW application.

It just dosen't make any sense why the holes would be larger on the sam castings.

Anyone have any other info or ideas here?

Mark, first the quality of the caps is top notch. No problem installing on the rear. Problem with the front is not the diameter of the cap. The problem I have is that it bottoms out on the bearing cap. The interior of your cap needs to be hogged out approximately 1/2+" for your cap to seat. As it is now the caps sits about 1/4" proud so you can still see the 4 relief cutouts. I have I believe original wheel bearing caps and they stick out approx. 1/2" beyond the face of the wheel.

As it is now the two caps for the front are useless to me.

Keith
dlkawashima
QUOTE(luskesq @ Mar 27 2011, 09:10 PM) *

The problem I have is that it bottoms out on the bearing cap. The interior of your cap needs to be hogged out approximately 1/2+" for your cap to seat. As it is now the caps sits about 1/4" proud so you can still see the 4 relief cutouts. I have I believe original wheel bearing caps and they stick out approx. 1/2" beyond the face of the wheel.

Keith

Yes Keith, you're right. I should have mentioned that I also have the same problem with the interior of the cap not being deep enough (as well as not wide enough).

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.