Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Another 914-GT Conversion Project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Lucky9146
QUOTE(jkb944t @ Jun 5 2016, 07:59 AM) *

I have started to reseal and clean up the engine.

Click to view attachment

I test fit the transmission to the engine and found that I will most likely need to shim the pivot point based on some previous posts on this.

Click to view attachment

Unfortunately the clutch release bearing is frozen so I have to replace that too. They seem to be very expensive ($150+), are used release bearings worth considering?

Jeff B

Your transmission looks amazing! How did you get it to look that good? If you don't mind.
jkb944t
I painted it with the paint shown in the picture below:

Click to view attachment

I should mention that it took a lot of prep work cleaning the transmission with a paint degreaser/wax remover. The paint itself went on very nicely once the transmission was cleaned up.

Jeff B
jkb944t
Finally installed the motor and tranny! This is definitely a milestone in the build sequence. I never imagined it would take this much time and effort to get to this point.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This is a picture of how the final battery tray came out once everything was bolted together.

Click to view attachment

Still lots of work and small details to work through.

Jeff B
jkb944t
Started to get everything hooked up underneath the car.

Click to view attachment

After spending so much time working out all the details on this car I now understand why people sell what I previously considered a nearly completed car!

Jeff B
SixerJ
Don't give up your doing a sterling job & car is looking fabulous and soon be driving.gif
altitude411
Stunning... shades.gif Nice work.
jkb944t
I started to mount the relay panel last night and test fit the carburetors. The passenger side rain hat is awfully close to the rear trunk bulkhead. Not sure if this tight clearance is normal or not.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Jeff B
Darren C
QUOTE(jkb944t @ Aug 3 2016, 05:11 PM) *

I started to mount the relay panel last night and test fit the carburetors. The passenger side rain hat is awfully close to the rear trunk bulkhead. Not sure if this tight clearance is normal or not.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Jeff B

Looking good Jeff, but gravity and vibration is NOT your friend with the relays and loom connector plugs if you mount that relay board vertical. That's why the 911 boys hate the OEM boards vertical in their front trunk
SixerJ
The KN hats have a fairly large overhang, which is the point I guess. I had a set on the 911 running MFI and removed them as they (only just) rubbed on the the boot lid (I had about 6mm clear when stationary)

When you say tight, how tight? Maybe leave as and apply masking tape or duct tape to the bulkhead and see if it rubs while protecting paint. If it does then you can always give the rain hat a gentle whack for a bit more clearance. Or any opportunity to move the engine and gearbox forward a touch?

Keep the vertical board, very factory and not sure about the 911 vertical board comment, I've had the long hood 911 for 20 odd yard and never had an issue with anything shaking loose. Did you make the board? Pictures please

jkb944t
QUOTE(SixerJ @ Aug 3 2016, 11:26 PM) *

The KN hats have a fairly large overhang, which is the point I guess. I had a set on the 911 running MFI and removed them as they (only just) rubbed on the the boot lid (I had about 6mm clear when stationary)

When you say tight, how tight? Maybe leave as and apply masking tape or duct tape to the bulkhead and see if it rubs while protecting paint. If it does then you can always give the rain hat a gentle whack for a bit more clearance. Or any opportunity to move the engine and gearbox forward a touch?

Keep the vertical board, very factory and not sure about the 911 vertical board comment, I've had the long hood 911 for 20 odd yard and never had an issue with anything shaking loose. Did you make the board? Pictures please

The rain hat is maybe .020 away from the trunk bulkhead if I slide the carbs forward in the bolt holes. I don't think the motor will move forward any more so slightly bending the rain hat probably makes the most sense.

I hadn't heard about the vertical relay panel issues either so I was just mounting it the way the other GT cars had it mounted. Maybe I can add some rubber washers to help isolate it from some vibration.

Jeff B
mb911
Looking good. I like the relay board in that spot.. I may try to do the same thing on my build
Darren C
A major problem leading to vibration failures results from how a cars control unit's and circuit boards set relative to the vibration motion. The mounting method for control units which include components such as relays can be a source of intermittent problems. An example of this problem is the Bosch CDI unit used on the early Porsche 911s which was mounted on a bracket that transmitted vibrations to the unit resulting in intermittent running problems. A similar intermittent problem occurs with the Porsche cruise control ECU (911/928) the result of its mounting bracket.
Additionally, the larger power control relays, e.g. a 3.2 Porsche 911 DME relay, are affected by the mounting method (cantilever when the board is mounted vertically and the relay sits horizontally) and the resulting vibrations which can cause intermittent starting/running problems. Similar failures occur with early Porsche cabriolet top control units because of the large relays used and the cantilever vertical mounting used for this ECU also.

The gravity/vibration comment I made was for the above reasons and in relation to the loom plugs which aren’t great at the best of times and the cantilever effect on them with transmitted vibration and weight of the cables hanging off them. The relays albeit small can be less reliable when mounted on a vertical board.

Solid state PCB’s such as those used in ECU are best mounted vertically to avoid vibration cracking of the circuit tracks.

Relay and fuse boards are best mounted horizontally to stop cantilever vibration failures.

Trust me I’ve seen $Millions of dollars in research into this in the Automotive and Aerospace engineering business.

If you want to keep the “trick” look of the vertical relay board, make up a set of straps or clamps to hold in your loom plugs for peace of mind.

This is not meant as any kind of criticism, just helpful advice. The car looks great!
Regards
Darren
jkb944t
This month I ran into a problem with the throttle linkage that had me stumped until I got some much needed help from the forum. The linkage bell crank on the transmission was located in the wrong place by the PO.

Click to view attachment

I was able to fabricate a new bracket that is very rigid and it relocated the linkage correctly.

Click to view attachment

Now I can move onto the next hurdle which is mounting the MSD ignition unit and mount the fuel pump.

Jeff B
jkb944t
I finally got to start it up last night! piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment

Jeff B

Olympic 914
GREAT !!!

Sounds nice

Looks good.... beer.gif
jkb944t
I got the front ventilation hoses installed and mounted the new fuel pump up front. I ran new fuel pump wiring from the rear of the car to the front.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Now I have new SST fuel lines and hoses from the front to the rear of the car for piece of mind.

Jeff
pete000
Looks great.

Looks like access to your fuel pump will be difficult with the tank in place? idea.gif

Removing the tank to change a fuel pump is a lot of work IMHO...

I assume you are planning on accessing the fuel filter via the access hole?
jkb944t
QUOTE(pete000 @ Aug 29 2016, 10:04 AM) *

Looks great.

Looks like access to your fuel pump will be difficult with the tank in place? idea.gif

Removing the tank to change a fuel pump is a lot of work IMHO...

I assume you are planning on accessing the fuel filter via the access hole?

Servicing the pre-pump filter should be fairly easy from the access hole. I left enough fuel line on both sides of the pump that by removing the one clamp bolt I should be able to slide the pump out of the access hole too.

Hopefully with a brand new fuel pump it shouldn’t be necessary to test this theory.

Jeff B
jkb944t
Got the fog lights assembled last night and planning to get the interior in this weekend. Finally getting to the end of the assembly process!

Click to view attachment

Jeff B

jkb944t
Wanted to document the engine access hole which makes working on the -6 engine a lot easier.

Click to view attachment

The top of the hole is 5.25 wide and the bottom of the hole is 5.62 wide. It hole is 6.75 high and the bottom edge of the hole is 10.12 up from the top of the center tunnel.

Click to view attachment

I made a cover that overlaps the hole by about 3/4 of an inch all around and added a closed foam gasket to it.

Click to view attachment

I made some progress on completing the interior this weekend but still lots of details to complete.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Finally put the engine cover on too.

Click to view attachment

Jeff B
jkb944t
Here are some pictures of the completed car. Thanks to everyone who helped me in one way or another get my car to this point.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Jeff B
mepstein
Looks great! smilie_pokal.gif
Coondog
Amazing build, thank you and congratulations
jkb944t
Thanks, I really appreciate your compliments.

Completing this project has been a dream of mine for over 30 years. I started a different 914 project 33 years ago but then had to sell it to have the time and money needed to raise my kids.

To finally be able to get this 914 project to a state of completion was much harder than I ever imagined but now that it is done it is immensely satisfying.

Jeff B
sb914
Very nice job first.gif
OllieG
Really enjoyed following this thread...fantastic job!

Gets my vote for COTM.... biggrin.gif
rgalla9146
Great job !
A dream come true.
Darren C
Congratulations on finishing the 5 year build.

Car looks great and a credit to you.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Sep 22 2016, 07:34 AM) *

Great job !
A dream come true.

Jeff what is the wheel /tire combination ?
Great look !
jkb944t
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Sep 22 2016, 04:02 AM) *

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Sep 22 2016, 07:34 AM) *

Great job !
A dream come true.

Jeff what is the wheel /tire combination ?
Great look !

Thanks, the tires are 225/50-16 Bridgestone Potenza RE-11's mounted on 16 x 8" wide wheels on all four corners. I believe I used a 6mm or 7mm thick spacer behind the back wheels.

Jeff B
keely444
Nice work, great detail thanks for sharing the build
Krieger
Congratulations! Your hard work was totally worth it. Your car looks amazing!
AZBanks
Congratulations. Beautiful car. I love the black targa bar trim. I may steal that idea for my build.
jkb944t
Thanks, I am really happy with how it is progressing.

I am spending the winter working on detailing the interior thanks to the specials that Mark at 914Rubber offered last month.

I'll have to post some updates eventually when I get some solid progress accomplished.

Jeff B
Dion
Car looks fantastic Jeff. I think I'll use your dimensions of the firewall access for
my build. Looks like ample space. Really nice build.
Thanks for the great pics. Enjoy it!
Larmo63
Great looking car, and it IS a lot of work. I am in the throes of a /6 build too. I want to shit-can the whole thing weekly, but I persevere.

Awesome job!!!! beerchug.gif
tom.esh
Looks awesome. I hope to see it around town this summer.
Cairo94507
Beautiful car. beerchug.gif Congratulations.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.