Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Custom Suspensions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
914_1.8t
So, I'm in the process of aquiring a 914 project and am trying to plan as far forward as possible, In particular the suspension.

Plan is to modify the trailing arms and turn them into either a 5-Link suspension or uneven length A-Arms. I'm looking for any pics or details on those who have gone this route.

In particular, with an dual A-Arm setup in the rear, what lengths/angles should I use for the A-Arms? What about 5-link? I know the question is a bit vague and I don't have many details at the moment but I'll be working towards finalizing something soon. Appreciate any feedback and PICS.
VaccaRabite
Are you going tube frame or something?

What you are describing is... not easy.

Zach
914_1.8t
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 6 2011, 05:12 PM) *

Are you going tube frame or something?

What you are describing is... not easy.

Zach

Yes, tube frame and not expecting easy smile.gif
bondo
I wouldn't do the rear... unless you plan to put the transmission someplace else. smile.gif
914_1.8t
QUOTE(bondo @ May 6 2011, 05:35 PM) *

I wouldn't do the rear... unless you plan to put the transmission someplace else. smile.gif

I'm thinking something along these lines:
Chris Hamilton
Where are those photos from?
bondo
Wow, somebody did it! (or at least started doing it)

I'm skeptical that by the time you make the compromises necessary to get it into the available space you would have any measurable performance benefit. Of course if you go mega-widebody anything is possible smile.gif
rohar
I've thought of just grabbing one of these, some 1" 16 gauge and a welder. Move everything that's in the way and stick it in:

IPB Image

It's a touch wider than stock track but should fit nicely under flares. $300 at the local pick and pull. Maybe after the engine conversion is done.
quadracerx
So what is that suspension from? I cant really tell if it has provisions for the CV Shafts or what? But Im old and blind too....

Looks like fun though....

Steve
bam914
Looks like a Miata rear suspension
rohar
Yup, Miata. It's been a while since I worked on 'em, but from memory they should come pretty close to fitting around the 901 tranny. The locost guys have been working with miata rear suspension and worked up their own rear framing diagrams. I'll see if I can't find them.

Hubs might get a bit sketchy...
andys
If you graft in a Boxster suspension and 5 speed trans, it will bolt up to that 1.8T....if that's indeed the power plant you're looking to do. I seem to recall someone doing one, but was pretty secretive about it.

byndbad914 has a tube framed A arm suspended racer (with SBC). Though he recently re-configured the suspension, it originally had a 5 link rear.

Andys
enderw88
QUOTE(rohar @ May 6 2011, 08:34 PM) *

Yup, Miata. It's been a while since I worked on 'em, but from memory they should come pretty close to fitting around the 901 tranny. The locost guys have been working with miata rear suspension and worked up their own rear framing diagrams. I'll see if I can't find them.

Hubs might get a bit sketchy...

I have accurate drawings of the Miata front and rear suspensions in the drawings section of my website.
rohar
If I had unlimited funds, I'd go the boxster route. Use the boxster cross brace as a jig for a custom fit brace with the same suspension points contoured to the 914 chassis.

I'm already converting to an audi box so this seems the obvious next step.
914_1.8t
QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ May 6 2011, 06:00 PM) *

Think I got them from this site some time ago?

I'm trying to look at other cars to figure out how to design it...trying to find software online that is cheap and free with no/minimal luck. Theres Wingeo3 but susprog3 but they are not free/cheap.

Basically plan so far is to modify the trailing arm as in the pics and figure out suspension geometry from there...legth/angle of upper and lower control arms in order to get good handling. Was hoping someone may have gone this route and have some data.

Jeff Hail
Go for it!!

Boxster rear suspension with the crossmember can be adapted to fit a 914 with substancial modifications. All considering it is an extremely light weight add on and the geometry is within par for the 914. These can be obtained fairly cheap from P-Car dismantlers.

The front end is a different animal. Best investment is going with coil over shocks and ERP 935 setup. Not cheap but the best bang for the buck.
914_1.8t
QUOTE(andys @ May 6 2011, 08:44 PM) *

If you graft in a Boxster suspension and 5 speed trans, it will bolt up to that 1.8T....if that's indeed the power plant you're looking to do. I seem to recall someone doing one, but was pretty secretive about it.

byndbad914 has a tube framed A arm suspended racer (with SBC). Though he recently re-configured the suspension, it originally had a 5 link rear.

Andys

I had done the 1.8t swap about 5 years ago in my old...audi/vw long motors/trans can be mounted to boxster engine/trans. I actually used a pasat/a4 fwd teams last time with boxter cable shifter and early 911 axles & hubs (with spacer at trans). New setup will be 2.7t with single turbo/o1e 6spd.

Ideally, if like to able to find a spindle (dual a-arm type) to use (and find some oem axles) and possiblyuse stock a-arms , figure out the geometry and design the frame of the car around that.

Boxster may be best way to go?
andys
Doing a double A arm front suspension takes quite a bit work to get everything to work in concert. If you retrofit an existing stock suspension from car X, you may be limited with making adjustments which might evolve into significant mod's later on. An adjustable suspension would be far more forgiving and lend itself to moving things around to get the right geometry. You might look at the A arm offerings from UBC Machine (stock car stuff, and it's cheap.). That said however, I might be inclined to stay with the stock Porsche front strut to keep things simple. A lot delends on your goals, IMO.

Andys
roadster fan
QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ May 6 2011, 06:00 PM) *

Those pics are from member Slugmika's build of his 914 race car. The thread is here: slugmika build

Has some interesting fabrication and suspension stuff on that car.

Jim
Dave_Darling
Someone has put a 993 rear suspension, complete with subrame, into a 914 before. I think it may have been Ron Mistak in his 911GT-1 clone 914-6 racer. It was pretty darned cool, and the cast aluminum subframe is unmistakeable.

--DD
yellowporky
Are you in east sf bay area? If so call me I am in Martinez, Ca. I can show you my car.
925-330-2025
Chris
914_1.8t
QUOTE(Chris Scott @ May 7 2011, 09:14 PM) *

Are you in east sf bay area? If so call me I am in Martinez, Ca. I can show you my car.
925-330-2025
Chris

I'll give you a call later on today...what type of suspension do you have?
yellowporky
You will not be disapointed when you see it.
Chris
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Chris Scott @ May 8 2011, 01:33 PM) *

You will not be disapointed when you see it.
Chris

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
yellowporky
Click to view attachmentok
yellowporky
Click to view attachment
914_1.8t
QUOTE(Chris Scott @ May 9 2011, 10:36 PM) *

Wow...you were not kidding. Can't wait to see it in person.
McMark
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaa?! We need lots more and bigger pics! drooley.gif
Andyrew
WHAAAAAT?

That looks really nice! smile.gif
yellowporky
Click to view attachment
yellowporky
Click to view attachment
yellowporky
Click to view attachment
Rand
Chris, please start a build thread. Now that you've posted a couple pics, there are a few thousand guys here who are dying to know more about your car!
Is that the permanent exhaust location? What engine? More more more more!
beerchug.gif
yellowporky
engine

Click to view attachment
Andyrew
Hard to tell from the pics... Audi 2.7 w/ 6speed gearbox and boxster suspension?

What are those monster tires you have on it? Looks like you need more fender biggrin.gif
jcambo7
popcorn[1].gif
rohar
Looks like an Audi unit to me. Not sure which one, but the oil filter placement and oil pan kinda gives it away.

Oh, and by the way, OMG!!!!
Chris Pincetich
QUOTE(McMark @ May 10 2011, 09:54 AM) *

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaa?! We need lots more and bigger pics! drooley.gif

agree.gif
beerchug.gif
Is it running yet? Can it roll? How long did it take to get this far?
very inspiring work
RFoulds
Thats frickin' crazy!! beer.gif

TurboWalt
Badass! beerchug.gif
Hontec
964 front suspension and fuel cell
quadracerx
HOLY.....!!! Wow...We do need more pics...PLEASE!! And thanks in advance....

Steve
yellowporky
-Engine is the 2.7 tt from an audi s4 with a stand alone ecu.
-Trans is a 5 speed boxster trans (audi 012) with boxster cable shifters
-Muffler is from a boxster S and chopped up
-The front and rear suspension are off of a 993 w/H&R springs
-Fuel tank is from a 964
-The Sc flares had to be cut off to accomodate the new stance and we have 930 flare to replace them.
-Car is a roller and the engine has been running in the chassis. Still working on completing all of the plumbing. I will post some updates on a thread in the future as work and family is slowing progress.

Thank you to all for the positive comments
Chris
sixnotfour
Damn nice work.

Here is the Mistak rear
Britain Smith
It is pretty cool how well that 993 suspension fits.

-Britain
Hontec
excellent work!! true, that 993 suspension fit's extremely well!
yellowporky
I have seen photos of the Mistak car before. It is a nice race car.
My car is going to be a grocery getter and sunday driver. I think that it will be a very refined driver with the modern engine, suspension, power steering and power brakes.
yellowporky
Click to view attachment
Britain Smith
Ok, now you are just making us all jealous smile.gif

-Britain
yellowporky
You say that like its a bad thing
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.