Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are the doors the same for all years
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
budk
Are the doors the same for all years? If not, will doors from 72 fit a 74?

Thanks.

confused24.gif
r_towle
doors will fit, window regulators changed mid 72.
This changed the interior door panel, but there are a few threads with pics to show you how to put the newer regulator into the old door frame.

Rich
ConeDodger
Later doors are heavier with a side protection bar built in but they will fit...
Tom_T
IMHO you'd be better off selling the 72 door to a 70-72 owner, & get yourself a good 73-76 door so you can keep all the internals the same without the extra work.

My 2 cents..... smile.gif
budk
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 16 2011, 02:15 PM) *

IMHO you'd be better off selling the 72 door to a 70-72 owner, & get yourself a good 73-76 door so you can keep all the internals the same without the extra work.

My 2 cents..... smile.gif

"...& get yourself a good 73-76 door..." - Well, there's the problem. I haven't seen any rust free later doors. I was trying to save some effort having to patch mine and came across a pair from a 72.
Nicky
I'm not sure where you are in PA, but at Hershey two years ago there were at least two vendors with a fair amount of 914 stuff. One guy looked like he had at least 5 pairs of doors, I bought two and the price was great. I wish I remembered who they were.

I think this may have been one of them:
http://www.anspachauto.com/index.asp
budk
QUOTE(Nicky @ Jun 16 2011, 03:06 PM) *

I'm not sure where you are in PA, but at Hershey two years ago there were at least two vendors with a fair amount of 914 stuff. One guy looked like he had at least 5 pairs of doors, I bought two and the price was great. I wish I remembered who they were.

Thanks... somehow I missed going to Hershey this year..... I was away from the forum during the winter months and must have missed the chatter. I'll keep my eyes (and ears) open going forward!
SirAndy
QUOTE(budk @ Jun 16 2011, 11:04 AM) *
Are the doors the same for all years? If not, will doors from 72 fit a 74?

No, the doors are not the same. Different internals and glass.
Yes, the earlier doors will fit on a later car.

However, you may end up with the early glass not sealing correctly against the later targa top seals.
Targa tops are different from early to late.

shades.gif
PRS914-6
Yep, both Andy and I went through this drill....To fit right, the doors, glass, operators and top have to be from the appropriate years. If you start mixing, they don't seal or fit properly. You can save significant weight by retrofitting the operators and glass out of a late door and installing in an early door.....You use a late top I posted some pictures a couple years ago.

Just to be clear: The late windows, operators and top that were designed to work together can be retrofitted to any early door

Early and Late Top Differences

Door Differences and Conversion
budk
Thanks to all.... very good info. Looks like I need to find the newer ones or get busy fixing mine.
markb
Some of the 72 doors were made that could have both types of window mechanisms. Check the ones you have to see what they look like. My 72 has one of each. dry.gif
budk
Does anyone have pics of the inside of both the early and late doors that s"hows the difference between them (bracing) ? The seller I am talking to believes his late 72 doors are different than his 70 doors. Could it be that the bracing was added late in 72 and that these doors are "late" ones?

Thanks!

dion9146
I have learned something new today. I knew there were differences between early and late doors due to the side impact protection, but I really had no idea there were so many differences when it came to the glass, wind up mechanism, and especially the targa top.

I can count on one hand how many times I have driven my car with the top in place, and the windows to top seal has never been close. Now I know why. I have an early top on a 1974 door/window combination. wink.gif

Thanks guys!

Dion
nathansnathan
QUOTE(budk @ Jun 17 2011, 05:13 AM) *

Does anyone have pics of the inside of both the early and late doors that s"hows the difference between them (bracing) ? The seller I am talking to believes his late 72 doors are different than his 70 doors. Could it be that the bracing was added late in 72 and that these doors are "late" ones?

Thanks!

The 73 doors had the late window mechanism but had no bracing.Some are saying that late 72 model year cars had the same, but it makes sense that the 72's would not have the bracing that not even a 73 would have.
saigon71
QUOTE(budk @ Jun 16 2011, 03:21 PM) *

QUOTE(Nicky @ Jun 16 2011, 03:06 PM) *

Thanks... somehow I missed going to Hershey this year..... I was away from the forum during the winter months and must have missed the chatter. I'll keep my eyes (and ears) open going forward!

www.anspachauto.com is definately one of the guys from the Hershey show with a ton of 914 parts. His shop is in Ono, PA. It would be a hike for you, but may be worth a trip to get some solid doors. He is good guy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.