Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It's alive but water pump has a bad seal & leaks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
JRust
Yeah I went down to get some tires. Car heated up pretty quick. I've got a leak I've got to find. Also what I thought was the right front brake grabbing. Turned out to be the 15x7 cookie cutter rim rubbing on the bottom strut. I guess my later carrera front suspension only wants to take a 16" wheel. Looks like I won't be bringing the v8 unless I can find some spacers. I have some 16" phone dials but the offset is late which means I need 2- 1" spacers & 2- 1.5" spacers. Or another set of 16" 5-lug wheels
McMark
I just sold my last set of relatively thin spacers. Otherwise I would bring a set for you.
Britain Smith
You can get universal spacers at Napa...they work just fine.

-Britain
McMark
Cooooool! Problem solved!

1/4" spacers
JRust
That 1/4" will be enough to get it to clear?
JRust
I've got to pull my water pump off this morning. I have a steady leak from the bottom of it. Right at one particular bolt. Tried to tighten but seems to be stripped dry.gif . So I've got to pull it out & see whats up. Hopefully it is just another gasket. Maybe a good cleanup of threads with a new bolt will be okay. May need to do a larger bolt. I'll use some thread locker on it too. Is this typically done with a gasket or RTV?
McMark
RTV is pretty common for water pumps. Some don't even come with gaskets.
JRust
Got my water pump reinstalled & all the hoses connected again. I've got to tighten a couple clamps. Then burp the system. I ordered some 1/4 spacers at napa but they won't be here until morning. Which means holding off on doing tires. I may not get out of here as early as I had hoped in the morning. Still isn't a lock I will bring the v8. Especially since I won't be able to test drive it until I get the spacers.

Yesterday when it heated up on me I noticed my radiator fans weren't coming on. Supposed to come on at 190. I picked up a switch. I am going to hardwire at least one of the fans. I'll have the switch in the cab & just turn it on when it get's warm. Just hoping for no more leaks smile.gif
proto31
Wow, this thread is inspiring! Really hope the trip to WCR is a blast driving-girl.gif

Dan
Elliot Cannon
The suspense is killing me... You can't bring the V8. Then you can. Then oh oh now you can't! WTF.gif The last time I saw it was in Issaquah and it kind of ummm leaked a bit. av-943.gif Hope to see you (and the car) in Medford. Have a safe trip.
Cheers Elliot
JRust
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jun 22 2011, 05:30 PM) *

The suspense is killing me... You can't bring the V8. Then you can. Then oh oh now you can't! WTF.gif The last time I saw it was in Issaquah and it kind of ummm leaked a bit. av-943.gif Hope to see you (and the car) in Medford. Have a safe trip.
Cheers Elliot

Damn if I remembered you being so funny Elliot idea.gif .

Yeah I am still not sure. I will probably bring it down. It is running & will be okay for some autoX. Not sure I will trust it for the Saturday drive. I also still have quite a bit to get done on it before I bring it. Stinking water pump still was leaking. Found a hole on the bottom of it that must have had a plug in it before. That was what was leaking on the bolt I thought was the culprit. It was hiding above it & I missed it. Anyway I am trying to find just the right screw or bolt to go in. It's an odd size so who knows. Plus I am waiting on those spacers from Napa. Hoping there morning shipment gets in plenty early
messix
the hole where the water is leaking from is not on the underside of the shaft is it? that would be the weep hole and that would mean that the shaft seal is buggered and you need a new pump.

if it's on the pump to block surface you need to use sealant on the bolt threads, some of the bolts go through to the water jacket and will leak out through the bolt in not sealed.
JRust
Awesome then I need a new pump mad.gif
I do have one on a spare motor but know nothing about it.
I will pull it tonight & see how it feels. Sucks though
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.