Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: progress pics
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
i love porsche
and i tacked in the rear peice
914GT
QUOTE(i love porsche @ Oct 25 2004, 04:47 AM)
so..who knows what i forgot to do?

No drain hole in the engine compartment?
MattR
QUOTE(i love porsche @ Oct 25 2004, 04:47 AM)
so..who knows what i forgot to do?

Does somebody need a new backpad???
i love porsche
nope...i forgot to put the engine lid release back in!!

stupid me
jet1
Hi,
Good post. I am doing the same repairs on my '73. I drive by your area all the time and was wondering if you were going to cut up the parts car. If so, let me know.

Keith
scooter311
Heya I love P,

I looked at that car last winter (I'm in Rochester, it was a whiteout on the way down to Angelica) and wish I bought it then. Was the seller good to you?

So do you have an idea of what color you're gonna paint it?
Awesome job so far, keep up the good work! Another 914 saved from death's rusty, leaky doorway.
clap56.gif
brant
good job man..
thats looking nice
keep it up
brant
i love porsche
QUOTE(scooter311 @ Nov 4 2004, 08:13 AM)
Heya I love P,

I looked at that car last winter (I'm in Rochester, it was a whiteout on the way down to Angelica) and wish I bought it then. Was the seller good to you?

So do you have an idea of what color you're gonna paint it?
Awesome job so far, keep up the good work! Another 914 saved from death's rusty, leaky doorway.
clap56.gif

which car did you look at? the red one? i bought it up in vestal ny, the black 74 i got from a guy on the bird board in monkton md, nice guy

neways, the car is gonna be signal orange, original color =]
scooter311
Maryland?????? huh.gif The black one was in New York over the winter, how about that! I'm in Rochester, it was an hour anda half south of me, just under Letchworth Sate Park.
I remember it because of the distinct paintjob. What did you do with the motor (When I looked at it there was a locked up 2.0 that was missing everything on top)? I like the stripe on it too. I was interested in the engine at the time, but he neglected to tell me things like "it's missing everything and was in a fire" blink.gif
Keep up the pics, maybe I'll be inspired enough to do some weld-work to mine someday! biggrin.gif
i love porsche
work on the car in the rain!!!!
i love porsche
you sure it was this car?

did it have a white racing stripe?

i was told..this guy bought it from his friend who bought it from an old lady...i dunno...

the doors were black when i got them..the red ones are from my 71

well anyways

heres my trunk, all finished and painted!
i love porsche
alright, finally an update, i got my drivers seat back from the seat guy, he did a really nice job, im really happy

i love porsche
oops forgot the pic
i love porsche

smilie_pokal.gif
i love porsche
i cant wait to drive her driving.gif
Hi_Fi_Guy
Great progress update... looking good. U Got skills dawg!
Root_Werks
Very nice job Aaron, I love that you are saving this teener! smilie_pokal.gif
Lou W
Those seats look great. smilie_pokal.gif
i love porsche
thank god for spring break, first time ive been able to do some work since fall

so, i pulled off the driver door to try and do a little body work, which i havent finished....

and i ended up stripping the whole thing, filler, paint and all, and i took off the doorpanel to find some treasures inside

to strip, first i used a torch and scraper, then i applied chemical stripper, scraped it, and then a second coat and scraped that, and it came pretty clean...and wow did i uncover alot of dents!!!

this is after the torch and scraper
i love porsche
after teh first coat of stripper
i love porsche
after the second coat
i love porsche
so how do you guys suppose i should repair this?
i love porsche
this is everything i took off

yummy, chips and dip chowtime.gif
i love porsche
heres what i found after i took off the door panel...i think someone tried to reinforce the door with this wooden stake!
i love porsche
ok and last, an important question, i took a peek behind the rear quarter paned on the driver side and saw this...not pretty, im not sure how bad it is though, i didnt see any holes. how should i repair it, do i have to cut apart my fender??
i love porsche
awesome stuff, got some new electrical in my garage, hooked up my bench grinder and installed a vice, got some lights too..what a difference!

i also did a little rust body repair at the base of the driver sail panel, its my first attempt at a body repair..so no laughing....
i love porsche
pics might help...

heres a before shot of the garage
i love porsche
ok..heres the garage now...shop lights above the bench, a strip of plugs on the back wall, and on the left wall is a separate outlet on its own breaker, its for the welder =]

and the bench grinder and vice
i love porsche
ok..and my repair...remember, no laughing!
i love porsche
after i cut out the bad
i love porsche
and all fixed up, this is a pic before i primed it
root
Great work! Your catching up with me and I started 20 plus
years ago! biggrin.gif I actually started my restore in Princeton, New Jersey while working at PU. Did the engine rebuild in one of the labs in the Engineering school. Good to see another
814 being reborn in Jersey! boldblue.gif
Keep the progress reports coming clap.gif
root
oops! ohmy.gif 914, My sausage fingers did it again.... headbang.gif
i love porsche
alright, did some more....i reinforced the early model doors, because they dent in so friggin easy!!!, so i cut some strips of metal and bent them to the contour of the door, and tacked them in place, not too much weight was gained, but it worked out very well!

before
i love porsche
after welder.gif
i love porsche
so..in a little bit of drizzle today, i cut the panel behind the door jamb and in front of the rear fender to inspect the upper long...and it turned out ok after a little grinding!

i do have one hole...so im wondering how much should i cut out to replace with new metal?
i love porsche
do you think i can get by with taking this much out? or should i do more?

also, is the long in this area 2-ply?? because it seems there is more metal behind that, its not hollow

what is the best way to approach cutting this?
i love porsche
ok..a few updates
finished (sorta) the driver side longitudinal...looks better
fixed the front part of the driver door (ill show before and after)
and found a whole new possible problem on the passneger rear long (ill tell you about it)

so first up is the driver long...lookin better
i love porsche
heres the "before" of the driver door
i love porsche
after a little hammering and welding

(im getting better at my welding!!) welder.gif
i love porsche
ground down and shaped (sort of)
i love porsche
and for the new problem

after my "discovery" of that nice little rust spot on the driver long, i decided to take a look at the passenger long again and see if i noticed anything more

well...now that ive been looking at longs so much, i realize that this thing doesnt really look like a longitudinal at all!
its flat, straight up, and looks like filler, so i go and get a magnet to test for metal....
magnet falls right to the ground
now im thinking...oh crap..what did the PO do to this car....so i get the grinder and do some grinding, and i see metal...its all metal..just with filler over it.

so i test the magnet again...nothing

oh crap, its a big ol sheet of aluminum...

so what do i do, im not sure if its tig welded on or just bonded..id assume the latter, because of the incompetence of not using the right piece

how big of a hole am i in...should i go sawzall happy and cut it all out and redo? or is it possible to trust the aluminum in this spot

HELP!! headbang.gif
rick 918-S
Fix it right. You'll be happier in the long run. sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif aktion035.gif driving.gif
i love porsche
ok, i finished up the driver long...all nice and tidy, and i tacked the body panel back on

i also cut out the body panel for the pass side, and will dive into that in the next few days
i love porsche
well..it turns out what i thought was aluminum, was actually stainless steel.

i broke 2 sawzall blades trying to cut it out..and it took FOREVER to get through with a cutoff tool, so i went and asked an old metalshop teacher about it, and he said its stainless, ....so i welded up the slices i put in it

and good bye antenna hole finger.gif

i love out of focus pictures...sorry..
i love porsche
ok...started stripping the front hood and fenders...and found a nice little suprise on my rear decklid

how far down should i take this?
i love porsche
rust is fun!
i love porsche
test fit of the new piece
i love porsche
all welded up
i love porsche
it follows the curve pretty nicely IMO
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.