Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Am I crazy?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
soloracer
I just purchased the Renegade Hybrid set up. I can't wait to get it in. I also got the optional remote fill reservoir/cap system. I asked them about the fact that my oil cooler is currently filling the entrance to where the radiator will be and they did not seem too concerned about it as they said that many people put their a/c condensor in front of their radiators with no problem. Despite their confidence I'm still thinking that I should move the oil cooler.

On another note, they were concerned about the capability of the stock rotary water pump to move enough water for this large cooling system. I know that rotary swaps have been done before and was wondering if anyone heard of problems with the water pumps. How would one know if the pump was good enough without trying it out? Are there flow numbers that a guy should look for?

I don't know of any upgraded water pumps for a rotary so it looks like the only upgrade would be to an electric water pump. Anyone seen one done or recommend a particulary make/size of pump?

John: I see you bought the same battery tie down from Renegade that I did. One of those "while I'm at it" sort of purchases, eh? At least it was for me.... biggrin.gif
John2kx
Solo,

I run a condensor mounted forward of radiator. Cooling has actually improved but as you can see I run a fan in front of it.

Unless you can find someone who is running the same water pump/engine with RH radiator, I think it would only be a guess if cooling would be satisfactory. I've never seen any numbers relative to flow with the mechanical pumps used for conversions. I'd sure give the stock pump a try before going electric.

John
Mike T
Check out this web page. Pretty much covers how this guy did a rotary swap in a 914.

http://web2.airmail.net/atl/Rotary.html

Mike T
soloracer
I've seen that website before but there was no mention of anything special being done with the water pump. I e-mailed him last night to see if he had any problems cooling with the stock pump.

I found an electric water pump for a rotary engine from Meziere that flows 55 gallons per minute. Now I don't know if this is good or not so I thought I would ask you guys. It's $320 from Summit Racing.
maf914
I am curious why the Mazda rotary pump will not pump enough water. If the power output of the engine is the same or near stock the stock pump flow rate should be adequate. Have you increased the power output of the engine significantly? Or are you concerned about the additional pressure loss due to the front mounted radiator? (This would be my concern, as added friction will reduce the flow rate.)

A radiator with greater fin area and greater water volume does not automatically necessitate a higher flow pump.
brant
The bane of rotary engines is inadequate water cooling.. so I know the rotary crowd goes to great lengths on this issue.....

can't say I actually know your pump question though.....

Scott S... I just had to reply to your thread. I don't know much about V-8's, but I felt compelled to answer the age old question about you being crazy...

for the record "yep"

have a good day
b
soloracer
The reason I'm concerned is because the guys at Renegade Hybrids seemed concerned. They were the ones that mentioned that the additional length of the piping and the additional coolant volume might be more than the stock pump can handle. They have to upgrade the water pump on chevy 350's which I would think would outflow a stock rotary water pump (I could be wrong though).

Heat is the natural enemy of the rotary engine and unfortunately they produce a lot of it for their size. Under normal operating conditions exhaust temps can go as high as 1000 degrees celcius which shows just how intense the combustion process is. Another bad thing is that if you overheat a rotary engine you are looking at an entire dissassembly and rebuild in a short time. So most rotary guys pay close attention to their cooling systems and you will find on many upgraded RX7's that people have upgraded their radiators as well. But I have never heard of anyone upgrading their water pumps. Since this 914 project of mine is not run of the mill I imagine that there will be some things done on it that would not normally be done.

Scott: Sorry to hijack your thread. In hindsight I probably should have started a new one for my discussion. As for your car, it's a beauty and it would be a shame to chop it up for any conversion other than a Porsche six. Just my humble opinion...
Scott S
Nah - no worries. I find it all very interesting.

Brant - the voices in my head have assured me that I am not crazy..... anyone know where I can get a good deal on a clown costume and a rifle? wacko.gif wink.gif

beer.gif
Gint
Am I crazy?

Was there ever REALLY any doubt? wink.gif Hi Scott.
aircooledboy
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Jun 22 2004, 02:06 PM)
the voices in my head have assured me that I am not crazy..... anyone know where I can get a good deal on a clown costume and a rifle? wacko.gif wink.gif

beer.gif

lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif laugh.gif chairfall.gif chairfall.gif
Mueller
They have to upgrade the water pump on chevy 350's which I would think would outflow a stock rotary water pump (I could be wrong though).

If they didn't have the remote waterpump, you'd have to punch a hole in the firewall sawzall-smiley.gif

same with changing of the harmonic balancer, it's all for fitting the engine in the compartment without haveing to cut into the engine shelf or firewall.
bongo monkey
Well, a turbocharged 6 cylinder is what I would choose. It just appeals to my sensibilites better.

Mmm, 3.6L twin turbo... (Hey, I can dream, can't I?)
Andyrew
John, I noticed that when renegade did the radiator setup. they took off the front stock reinforcment. I understand the reason was for cooling, but did they do anything to reinforce the front end? Or do they think that there is no body flex at that point? Im trying to figure how I can keep the body from flexing, Would welding a bar going straight across the top front of the car be a good idea?

IPB Image

They removed a whole lot of sheet metal...

Andrew
Mueller
Andrew, if your car is flexing way up in the front between the headlights, you've got bigger problems to worry about smile.gif

The cars flex between the wheels, front to back and side to side
F/B flexing is more due to the distance between the wheels and other reasons such as no roof.............
John2kx
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 22 2004, 05:36 PM)
John, I noticed that when renegade did the radiator setup. they took off the front stock reinforcment. I understand the reason was for cooling, but did they do anything to reinforce the front end? Or do they think that there is no body flex at that point? Im trying to figure how I can keep the body from flexing, Would welding a bar going straight across the top front of the car be a good idea?

IPB Image

They removed a whole lot of sheet metal...

Andrew

Andrew,

I followed Renegades instructions here and removed what they recommend. Looking at Scott's personal ride with 100 hp more than mine (470-500hp), I saw no signs of flexing visable in his better than new paint job. Not to mention he slings his car around the track pretty regular.

If flexing was a issue, I'm sure RH would offer a bracing upgrade.

John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.