Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New wheels means GT flares
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Andyrew
Paul, I know that you just got done layin the glass... But You took the plastic dam out because it was cracking the paint.. Did you also take it out because you didnt need it? Because I think you could make a mold from the fiberglass and make your own dam out of fiberglass.... Then you wouldnt have to worry about cracks....

Anyways, thats some pretty nice fiberglass work you've got goin on.

Andrew
URY914
I could make a f/g mold form the plastic duct but it would be more work than it would be worth. I installed the duct when I was road racing and it did direct air to the engine. But was it enough to make a difference? Who knows. Now that I only autox, I don't see the need to make a f/g duct and stick it in the door.

I actually have two f/g NACA ducts that I could install but why make more work if it won't make me go faster? confused24.gif

Paul
Andyrew
Thats why I asked if it made a diff..

No diff, no reason..

So, are you going with the FWD look in flared front fenders only? biggrin.gif

hehe
Root_Werks
Well here is a pic or two of the 914 back from the paint shop. Looks great, but you know how you go around the car and circle areas you want them to work on? Yeah, I didn't circle a few thinking my work would be good enough. Should have just circled those as well. You can see on the rear of both front fenders the bonding work. Ugh. The rest of the 914 turned out awsome. It is not a show are by any means, so you can find a mistake here and there. Only the front fenders bug me. I will re-paint the car(fenders) next spring. My wife and I want to use it the rest of this summer for PCA events. So for now, it is good enough. I bet every other person will point out my front fenders for me though. <_<
Root_Werks
One more from the front, sorry for the sun in the eyes thing. My $25 digital camera doesn't do so well.
URY914
Andy,
The rear fenders will be much more work, stay tuned.

Root_Werks,
Looks great. I really like the color. Post the pic is a seperate thread so very one can see it.

Paul
Root_Werks
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jul 23 2004, 10:15 AM)
Root_Werks,
Looks great. I really like the color. Post the pic is a seperate thread so very one can see it.

Paul

Thanks! biggrin.gif L20E or Signal Orange is my favorite color!

Keep posting pictures of your 914 Paul. I like reading the progress and watching how it should be done. Looks great so far. Isn't it amazing how different a 914 looks with these flares? I love 'em!
URY914
Todays work.

Sanding-bondo-sanding-bondo-sanding-glaze
URY914
front...
URY914
OK, my internet connection has been fixed.
I'm back in the saddle.
Now where were we.
Oh yea, front right.

Here it is after sanding primer.
URY914
After a test fit with the hood I found I had a 1/4" gap tween the hood and the front of fender.
URY914
So I need to fill this in.
I start by grinding/sanding the edge of the fender back to expose the f/g.

I've added tape to hold the f/g cloth in place.
URY914
This shows the f/g that I've added. I've added about 1/2" which I'll have to cut back down to fit.
URY914
After some sanding...
URY914
I have to do a little work at the top but it is almost there.
URY914
Next I'll will be mounting a dzus spring plate to the lower edge of the fender. This will hold the end plate of the spoiler to the fender.

The spring plate is a piece of 1/16" stamped sheet metal. I could pop rivet it to the fender but that won't work for long. The rivets work loose and the plate falls off.

So I pop riveted the plate to a larger piece of alumumin and will glass it to the fender.

This is the inside of the fender.
URY914
Held on with a clamp during set up.
URY914
I'll sand it down to clean it up. I drilled some 1/4" holes it it so the resin would get in to the fender and I also cut the notches in the edges. If you don't and the resin doesn't stick to the aluminum, the piece will work loose.
URY914
Done.
After painting I'll pop it to the end plate. I don't like painting them as the paint chips off.
URY914
When I cut the windshield off and cut out the door posts there is a big gap left. This needs to be filled or your lap get filled with sand.

On left side I had the "inner fender" mounted to the fender/door combo. But the new flares I decided to cut it off, widen it and mount to the car

This shows the inner fender tek screwed to the sheet metal of the car. I than installed the fender/door and taped popcycle sticks every few inches which butted up to the inside of the fender. Than I used metal tape to act as my backer for the f/g cloth. I removed the fender/door and I than have my mold. The ends of the sticks follow the inside line of the fender.
URY914
From the other side.
URY914
This taken from the inside. It show the fit of the new piece to the inside of the fender.
URY914
This may be a better shot.

From the right looking from the inside, the grey is the edge of the fender, the dark area is new f/g, the light area is the sanded f/g and the red is the metal of the car fender.
watsonrx13
Paul, I'll repeat myself again, you are a F/G ANIMAL monkeydance.gif

Great job.
Andyrew
looks like a pro!! I need to do fiberglass work next week... Hope it turns out anything like that...

Good luck man!!

Andrew
URY914
I've busy block sanding, but I've almost got the front end done. I had to do more work to the bumper/spoiler than I thought. Here is the latest...
URY914
The NACA has been filled.

Go ahead and ask me about that turn signal lense. biggrin.gif

Paul
URY914
TimT
what about the turn signal lense?

Impressive work as always Paul beerchug.gif
spare time toys
QUOTE(TimT @ Aug 19 2004, 04:48 PM)
what about the turn signal lense?

Impressive work as always Paul beerchug.gif

Yes please do tell drooley.gif
URY914
Thought you'd NEVER ask. wink.gif

I had one that was cracked and I JB Weld'd it back together, but I dropped and and it broke like glass.
So....

I made a mold and made an knock-off. smile.gif
URY914
Anybody want some???

Here is the mold.
spare time toys
QUOTE(URY914 @ Aug 19 2004, 05:06 PM)
Anybody want some???

Here is the mold.

Sure I need 2. clap56.gif Been tryn to figure out what to do with the holes in the front fenders. How much? If i send you some carbon fiber ya want to try doing the outside layer in that? Then I could clear coat it and have the ricer look laugh.gif I would like to get 2 though if you make extras and I can get carbon fiber if you want.
URY914
I've created a monster! biggrin.gif

CF may be a little tough because the mold isn't perfect.
I'm sticking with FG for now.

I've only made the one so let me spit out a few more before I start going into mass production.

I guess I'll need to find a factory in China or India to help me out.

Paul
carr914
Paul, how do the lenses attach? When can I come pick them up?
T.C.
URY914
T.C.,
I just popped it out of the mold three days ago. I need to work out the details. But I'm thinking you'd use the original hardware and be able to mount them like the stock ones. That way a you could change them out for a DE real easy.

Paul
URY914
OK boys and girls,
Lets more to the back of the car and start the process on the rear flares. Now don't fall asleep, this will take awhile.

The rear end is a little different from the front because the rear fenders are still steel. Therefore the plan is to 'glass the flares to the steel, make a mold of the entire quarterpanel including the targa bar/sail section. Than make a new complete f/g q-panel. No problem! Should be done around this time next year. sad.gif

Here is a real pretty q-panel that has had the lip rolled under. I have about 1/8" between the fender and my tire.
URY914
Strange looking pattern on the paint in the above pic. Must be the light picking up the dust on the car.

Next I mock up the flare. Not a great fit but now big deal.
URY914
rear view
URY914
State of the art clamping method...

Take a Sharpie and draw a line.
URY914
Now install a new bi-metal blade. put on my gloves and glasses and ..... sawzall-smiley.gif

Two pounds of sheet metal hits the floor.
(love that sound)
URY914
sawzall-smiley.gif is by Porter Cable
Blade by Dewalt
URY914
Mock up again.
URY914
Better fit now. I sanded the glass thinner so it will conform to the shape of the car.
URY914
front with out the 3/16" gap
URY914
Next I'll use some sheet metal screws to hold it in place and I'll start grinding/sanding it expose the metal. This will allow for a solid bond of the glass.

I could have made a mold of only the sheetmetal that was not cut out. Than I would 'glass the flare to it. But this way I will have a entire q-panel mold when I'm done.

Stay tuned, boys and girls

Your friend,
Paul
URY914
Ok, its been about a month, four hurricanes and a screwed up 'puter. But I didn't stop working in the garage. I glassed the flare to the metal. (I guess I didn't take any pics of the fender before I installed the flare, sorry) This is the first ROUGH layer of bondo. 90% of this gets sanded off.
URY914
rear view
URY914
glaze or crack filler in red
machina
Nice clap56.gif

I have fender envy...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.