Full Version: New wheels means GT flares
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
URY914
Primed and in the sun
URY914
Nice FAT rubber. 225/50's
URY914
I've got 1/2" spacers on the rear and about 1/4" between the fender and the tire.
URY914
from the top
URY914
Today.
URY914
Let do the left side, shall we...
Mark out the cut line.
URY914
Grind/sand away the bondo...I mean paint so to get a good bond with the glass.
URY914
Looking to the front.
URY914
Fitting in the glass mat strips. you can see them laying on top.
URY914
Here it is with the glass bonded over the flare and the fender.
URY914
Out baking it the sunshine.This must have been between the hurricanes.
BTW, that's my helper on the left.
URY914
I've actually sanded/bondo'd/primed the left rear now. I'll post some tomorrow.
URY914
QUOTE(URY914 @ Sep 25 2004, 07:06 PM)
I've actually sanded/bondo'd/primed the left rear now. I'll post some tomorrow.

OK, maybe I didn't post the next day. But there was a f---- HURRICANE pounding us.

Now back on track. Tommorrow I have an autox so I've spent the week tighting up some loose ends. Here is what it looks like.
URY914
I've got 1/2" spacers on the rear wheels and I can just get my finger between the tire and the inside of the fender. Maybe 1/2" clear.
URY914
These were shot after loading on the trailer.

But you knew that.
URY914
I use to run my tie down straps through the wheels but now with the solid wheels I'm having to run the straps around the tranny mounts. Not the best but it is easy to get them on and off. I dont think it will hurt anything.
URY914
HERE IT IS.....
URY914
I'll get some pics tomorrow at the event with the hood on. If you look close you'll see my front turn signal covers I've made. They are .0002 grams lighter than the stock ones. laugh.gif

Paul
Trekkor
Those pics make me VERY HAPPY! clap56.gif

KT
redshift
You are an animal.

You should scratch-build a '67 vette.

smile.gif

M
bob91403
Looks nice. Looks like a lot of work. I'm too lazy. I would have spent the $675 and bought whole fiberglass front fenders, and fiberglass rear rocker panels with the flares already there. Then sold the original metal to someone who needed them for repairs. Probably end up spending the same kind of money, not near as much work. Might even be less money. I think I saw a replacement metal fender priced at about $400. But, like I said I'm lazy.
McMark
Is this fender held on with Red RTV? w00t.gif

IPB Image
ChrisFoley
That's looking real good Paul!
You need to lower it another inch and a half though.
Raised rear pickup points and raised spindles ought to do the trick.
Good luck at the auto-x today!
URY914
Chris,
I agree, needs to be lower.
Low, lean, wide and mean.

Paul
Root_Werks
smilie_pokal.gif You are a fiberglass animal! I wish I had you around when I was doing my flares. They look great! biggrin.gif
URY914
Here are some shots from the autox yesterday.
URY914
money shot
URY914
my new avatar biggrin.gif
bob91403
Looks great. A lot of work. clap56.gif
maf914
Paul,

Way to go! Good work. Thanks for all of the photos.

So, are you going to paint it again or are you just gonna do the JP primer thing? laugh.gif Remember, paint equals weight. idea.gif
MJHanna
Paul great work !!! smilie_pokal.gif What type of resin are you using? Do you get it from an auto supply house or is it the Generic stuff you can get at Home Depot? On tying down the car we made some brackets out of some flat metal and drilled a hole to mount them to the lowers shock bolt and a hole to put the tow hook through. Made it easy to hook the back tie down straps.
URY914
I got the resin from a fiberglass supply house locally.

I've seen those "hook-eyes" but I thought there wasn't enough room for them on the bolt. The shock bolt is short and nut just covers the trhreads now.
Show us a picture.

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.