Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Calypso Restoration Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
SirAndy
QUOTE(rnellums @ Jan 29 2015, 11:39 PM) *
I half expected to be roasted alive for doing this to my own car!

That part comes later ... biggrin.gif

I really hope this works out well for you, that's one special car you got there!
smile.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 30 2015, 05:05 AM) *

You took it to the right shop.

agree.gif

Sorry Ross. You know the "Ice Queen" is one of my favorites!

I did something similar.. I forgot my driveway was slightly sloped and was pushing the 914 out of the garage to do the engine swap and it rolled into the CLS500 and dented it right before the wheel arch driver's rear. SO I dented the 914 and the Mercedes.......

This was right before RRC 2013 - did you notice the dent in the CLS500 when you were here?

Click to view attachment
rnellums
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 30 2015, 09:08 AM) *

I half expected to be roasted alive for doing this to my own car!

That part comes later ... biggrin.gif

I really hope this works out well for you, that's one special car you got there!
smile.gif

Thanks Andy!
Chris H.

QUOTE(rnellums @ Jan 30 2015, 02:39 AM) *

I believe I have it insured at an agreed value of 16k, so that should help! I took it to a really reputable body guy, which means excellent quality, but also makes the repair more expensive.

Oh yeah Metal Surgeon is awesome. Had no idea he was by you. Should fix it right up for you better than new.

rnellums
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Jan 30 2015, 11:51 AM)

I did something similar.. I forgot my driveway was slightly sloped and was pushing the 914 out of the garage to do the engine swap and it rolled into the CLS500 and dented it right before the wheel arch driver's rear. SO I dented the 914 and the Mercedes.......

This was right before RRC 2013 - did you notice the dent in the CLS500 when you were here?

Click to view attachment

I never noticed that dent on your merc, I just remember it looking excellent as our rally chase car!
Ferg
blink.gif Sorry Ross!

rnellums
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jan 30 2015, 12:21 PM) *

QUOTE(rnellums @ Jan 30 2015, 02:39 AM) *

I believe I have it insured at an agreed value of 16k, so that should help! I took it to a really reputable body guy, which means excellent quality, but also makes the repair more expensive.

Oh yeah Metal Surgeon is awesome. Had no idea he was by you. Should fix it right up for you better than new.

I know! Turns out he is less than 10 minutes from my house! His shop is the kind of place I would love to have several hours to wander around in...
EdwardBlume
You wont regret fixing it. The right person / people can make magic happen.

Dad's car had a boat driven into it (by Dad), the battery rusted through to the longs (Dad), the front hit (Dad), and the rear trunk dented by the wheel of a golf caddy cart (Dad). This is what it looks like today.

Also, Rich Botempi sold his silver 73 2.0 for top dollar in the last couple years. That would be a good comp if he's willing to share the details.
Eric_Shea
All fixable. The only problem I see is, that's one of those colors that you will "never" be able to match perfectly so, a complete re-spray will be in order. Pigments and the specific nature of the metallics has changed over the years.

And... That's the upside. How's the time to get the cowl and other areas back up to snuff.
messix

Thanks you guys for the support! I half expected to be roasted alive for doing this to my own car!

oh we wont't let you live this one down but wont start in until after it gets fixed slap.gif
mobymutt
When I first got interested in 914's (about 2 years ago, haha), I actually had your avatar picture as my computer wallpaper. I think I just got it by google image searching 914's, and it was my favourite of all the ones that showed up. I love that colour, I hope you stick with it. Best of luck with the repairs!
rnellums
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 31 2015, 09:05 AM) *

All fixable. The only problem I see is, that's one of those colors that you will "never" be able to match perfectly so, a complete re-spray will be in order. Pigments and the specific nature of the metallics has changed over the years.

And... That's the upside. How's the time to get the cowl and other areas back up to snuff.

I agree. There is a good chance that Calypso will end up looking better that she ever has! A good excuse to get the rest of the car into flawless shape as well!

QUOTE(mobymutt @ Jan 31 2015, 01:03 PM) *

When I first got interested in 914's (about 2 years ago, haha), I actually had your avatar picture as my computer wallpaper. I think I just got it by google image searching 914's, and it was my favourite of all the ones that showed up. I love that colour, I hope you stick with it. Best of luck with the repairs!

Well that is flattering! I certainly won't have any plans to do a color change, the mint green has really grown on me!
veltror
Oh dear, I kind of feel guilty that I have that front fender from you now... Hope you manage to get this fixed

Roman
rnellums
QUOTE(veltror @ Feb 2 2015, 01:10 PM) *

Oh dear, I kind of feel guilty that I have that front fender from you now... Hope you manage to get this fixed

Roman

hah! I have some friends here in Denver that can help me out with that if I need it! Who knows, maybe you'll get another fender from me out of this!

How is your project going anyways?
bigkensteele
Ross, sorry to see this but glad that no one was hurt. In the end, it is just a car and it can be made right again.

For those who haven't seen this car in person, the color combo is stunning.

I don't think that they will, but if insurance wants to total it, I wonder if you could accept a partial settlement in lieu of a salvage title. Rick might know.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Feb 2 2015, 08:33 PM) *

Ross, sorry to see this but glad that no one was hurt. In the end, it is just a car and it can be made right again.

For those who haven't seen this car in person, the color combo is stunning.

I don't think that they will, but if insurance wants to total it, I wonder if you could accept a partial settlement in lieu of a salvage title. Rick might know.

Owners have the first right of refusal but based on the agreed limit I doubt it will total.
Scott S
Ross -
I had a grey market MK1 golf GTI that was very similar, if not that color. It was called Inari Silver Metallic. Porsche used it as well. Just another reference.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

You know me... if that many panels needed work/paint, I would flare it!
sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif

hide.gif

good luck with the repairs beerchug.gif
toadman
Hi, Ross,
I was very sad to hear about your accident. I admired your car in September 2012 when you came to the Cincinnati area for the Porsche-VW car show. We had dinner together and you found and fixed an electrical problem with my car. I hope you get things sorted out to your satisfaction.
rnellums
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 3 2015, 11:42 AM) *

Owners have the first right of refusal but based on the agreed limit I doubt it will total.

So I thought I had an agreed value on it, but they didn't have a record of that, so I've been going through the valuation process on it. Their first appraiser came back with a vehicle value of 11,700, which would result in the car being totaled ($9180 estimated damage). I think they felt that was a bit low because they hired a third party appraiser (Big Block Appraisal Services) who I have been working with now, and hopefully they come back with a number closer to where I believe it should be (~20k).

QUOTE(Scott S @ Feb 3 2015, 12:04 PM) *

Ross -
I had a grey market MK1 golf GTI that was very similar, if not that color. It was called Inari Silver Metallic. Porsche used it as well. Just another reference.

You know me... if that many panels needed work/paint, I would flare it!
sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif

hide.gif

good luck with the repairs beerchug.gif

Thanks Scott! I already have my flared car though (Apollo) The car is going to be fixed, the only question is am I going to have to pay for it or will insurance take care of me.

QUOTE(toadman @ Feb 4 2015, 08:24 PM) *

Hi, Ross,
I was very sad to hear about your accident. I admired your car in September 2012 when you came to the Cincinnati area for the Porsche-VW car show. We had dinner together and you found and fixed an electrical problem with my car. I hope you get things sorted out to your satisfaction.

Hugh,

How has your car been working these days? I think things will go my way here eventually, its just going to be a bit of a headace o get everything sorted out initially! I believe the Metal Surgeon has a pretty busy shop schedule, so even after insurance gets figured out, it will be a while before it can get into the shop to get repaired!

I hope all is well with you!

-Ross

MikeInMunich
QUOTE(dion9146 @ Sep 8 2011, 03:39 AM) *

I still think you should sell it for $16K, then drive down to Louisville and buy my 3.2 conversion for not much more $. I'll make you a deal. I'm feeling an itch that I need to scratch, and it involves getting rid of the 914....

Dion
Click to view attachment

Dion, when you're really ready to sell that car for "not much more than 16k", please send me a PM. It looks awesome and IMO if it's as good as it looks, worth that price.
rnellums
QUOTE(MikeInMunich @ Feb 13 2015, 12:12 PM) *

I still think you should sell it for $16K, then drive down to Louisville and buy my 3.2 conversion for not much more $. I'll make you a deal. I'm feeling an itch that I need to scratch, and it involves getting rid of the 914....

Dion
Click to view attachment

Dion, when you're really ready to sell that car for "not much more than 16k", please send me a PM. It looks awesome and IMO if it's as good as it looks, worth that price.

I believe he did sell that car back in 2011 to his business partner, also named Ross. The car now resides in Indiana, and I can tell you first hand that it is an awesome car to drive!
bigkensteele
QUOTE(rnellums @ Feb 13 2015, 11:13 AM) *

QUOTE(MikeInMunich @ Feb 13 2015, 12:12 PM) *

Dion
Click to view attachment

I believe he did sell that car back in 2011 to his business partner, also named Ross. The car now resides in Indiana, and I can tell you first hand that it is an awesome car to drive!

Yeah, Dion has been gone for a long time.

Ross, do you know yet what your options will be in the event that the appraisal does not come out in your favor? I assume it would be either:

a. allow it to be totaled -> buy it back -> fix it but end up with a salvage title.

or

b. drop the claim and have it fixed out of your own pocket.

Just wondering if there might be a c. negotiate a reduced settlement/higher deductible for the claim in order to retain a clean title???
rnellums
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Feb 13 2015, 05:10 PM) *

Yeah, Dion has been gone for a long time.

Ross, do you know yet what your options will be in the event that the appraisal does not come out in your favor? I assume it would be either:

a. allow it to be totaled -> buy it back -> fix it but end up with a salvage title.

or

b. drop the claim and have it fixed out of your own pocket.

Just wondering if there might be a c. negotiate a reduced settlement/higher deductible for the claim in order to retain a clean title???

I just found out it won't be an issue! The appraisal came back at 23,100 so the car is going to be fixed no questions asked! Great news for tonight!!
bigkensteele
QUOTE(rnellums @ Feb 13 2015, 07:56 PM) *

I just found out it won't be an issue! The appraisal came back at 23,100 so the car is going to be fixed no questions asked! Great news for tonight!!

piratenanner.gif cheer.gif aktion035.gif smilie_pokal.gif

That is great news!
turk22
agree.gif

That's great news! Can't wait to see it all fixed up. beerchug.gif
mgp4591
Congrats! Nothing like a big load off your mind when it comes to fixing your sweet ride. Christmas in February... aktion035.gif
76-914
poke.gif Now back to the matter of that missing inactive neutral switch.
rnellums
Wow, Can't believe how it has been since I updated this thread! In summary for what has been going on the last two years:

I had the car repaired by the finest metal workers in Denver (The Metal Surgeon on here).

I had the car re-painted in its original Ice Green Metallic by the finest painter in Denver (Emmel's Enamels)

I'm now in the process of replating/refinishing everything and putting it back together!
rnellums
More painting Photos
rnellums
Painting Complete
rnellums
Starting reassembly with PMB brakes, powder coated suspension components, and Bilsteins!
gms
Looks great Ross!
Jacob
Wow! That is beautiful! Thanks for taking the time to post all the pictures! Much appreciated!
Larmo63
I always wondered what happened to this car.....?

Looks amazing so far. beerchug.gif
76-914
thumb3d.gif Looks great, Ross.
burton73
Super nice car. Great color Happy you got it worked out.

Bob B beerchug.gif
rnellums
I finished routing the wiring in the front trunk last night and got the rear harness pushed through the firewall. I'm ready to start the painful process of pushing it through the snorkel tube, only to find that the tube I have from 914 rubber doesn't seem to fit (not long enough, and not the right diameter) the hole in the engine shelf. Does anyone have a source for this part on a 1974 2.0L?

Thanks!
Prorallye
QUOTE(rnellums @ Oct 5 2017, 07:48 AM) *

I finished routing the wiring in the front trunk last night and got the rear harness pushed through the firewall. I'm ready to start the painful process of pushing it through the snorkel tube, only to find that the tube I have from 914 rubber doesn't seem to fit (not long enough, and not the right diameter) the hole in the engine shelf. Does anyone have a source for this part on a 1974 2.0L?

Thanks!

Ross,

I had the same experience and was not pleased after I found out they don't fit properly on a '74. So....while I had my engine out I fabricated a piece to fit in that hole and welded it in therefore making it smaller, then inserted the snorkel. I believe this part may have been manufactured for something else. It seems good quality but is not the right size. I see you have already painted so you may have to figure something else out. Maybe somebody else has the correct part but I looked for a while for NOS and was unable to find. BTW...I used a "guide oil" that electricians use for wiring when pulling the harness through. Machinist wax is what I first used and it worked as I like that on a lot of things but the electricians oil made pulling that harness through the snorkel a LOT easier to finish it off at the suggestion of my father. Sorry but I forgot the name of what it is.

Love the color of your car btw!
rnellums
QUOTE(Prorallye @ Oct 5 2017, 11:40 AM) *

QUOTE(rnellums @ Oct 5 2017, 07:48 AM) *

Thanks!

Ross,

I had the same experience and was not pleased after I found out they don't fit properly on a '74. So....while I had my engine out I fabricated a piece to fit in that hole and welded it in therefore making it smaller, then inserted the snorkel. I believe this part may have been manufactured for something else. It seems good quality but is not the right size. I see you have already painted so you may have to figure something else out. Maybe somebody else has the correct part but I looked for a while for NOS and was unable to find. BTW...I used a "guide oil" that electricians use for wiring when pulling the harness through. Machinist wax is what I first used and it worked as I like that on a lot of things but the electricians oil made pulling that harness through the snorkel a LOT easier to finish it off at the suggestion of my father. Sorry but I forgot the name of what it is.

Love the color of your car btw!

Thanks for tip!

Looks like I'm off to find some unobtanium! Hopefully I can find a decent used piece!

-Ross
rnellums
Got some more work done installing brakes and new hard and soft lines from PMB. Worth the cost! I also Pulled the car out and trailered it to a new garage that's a bit closer to home.

The shine off the paint is incredible!
Click to view attachment
rnellums
Also, I have attached some of the reasons my progress has been slow the past few years. Trying to get these operational!

The Benz's are both sold now (proceeds funded the NSX!). The white '67 230S was particularly hard to let go of!
Larmo63
I get the feeling a 914 geek lives at that house......

beer.gif

Looks great!!!!!!
rnellums
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Oct 9 2017, 07:27 PM) *

I get the feeling a 914 geek lives at that house......

beer.gif

Looks great!!!!!!

Haha. What tipped you off? I'm afraid I infected my roommate too!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.