Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
majkos
Good, and while you at the computer, explain
"Calypso"? WTF.gif

rnellums
QUOTE(majkos @ Sep 3 2011, 07:29 AM) *

Good, and while you at the computer, explain
"Calypso"? WTF.gif

Calypso is a goddess type from Greek mythology. She was featured most prominently in homer's odessey living on an island and imprisoning odesseus, but also has some sea roots and connotations. Since the color reminds me of the color of the ocean and I'm pretty sure she plans to take lots of my time as well.
rnellums
New plate arrived yesterday!
Click to view attachment
veltror
Tracks 1 2 and 3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waiting_for_C...u#Track_listing

Haudiosolutions
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Aug 14 2011, 01:24 PM) *

My 2 yr old granddaughter saw the pictures and said:

"Oh my gosh, pretty car. I want to ride in it"

She loves my 914 and can point one out in photos, etc. Afflicted since birth. smile.gif

driving.gif

Poor thing! She has certainly seen the pain inflicted so far?
Tom_T
QUOTE(rnellums @ Sep 4 2011, 09:57 AM) *

New plate arrived yesterday!
Click to view attachment

"Tippacanoe & Calypso too!" ... to borrow from the Tuyler campaign. biggrin.gif
rnellums
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Sep 5 2011, 02:53 PM) *

"Tippacanoe & Calypso too!" ... to borrow from the Tuyler campaign. biggrin.gif

huh?
Tom_T
"Tippacanoe & Tyler too" was the presidential campaign slogan when Tyler ran in the 1800s, your plate reminded me of an updated version of it! biggrin.gif

Who said history couldn't fun later in life!? ... I didn't sleep in class. biggrin.gif
rnellums
I just got a loose offer for 16k. Do I take it?
mepstein
QUOTE(rnellums @ Sep 6 2011, 10:04 PM) *

Hell yes. Just make sure to see the loose cash.
SirAndy
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 6 2011, 07:10 PM) *

agree.gif

And don't forget about that paint code! biggrin.gif
rnellums
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 6 2011, 07:15 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 6 2011, 07:10 PM) *

agree.gif

And don't forget about that paint code! biggrin.gif

I called Porsche and told them I had a 98 code, they called back and told me it was a 99 paint code. No further response.
KELTY360
Take the money and run. But if you do, I'll wager it's a car you'll always wish you had back.
flipb
Wow, just discovered this thread after following the unfortunate demise of your last teener.

Your new one is pretty similar to mine: an early '74 with console that is very original. Only exceptions on my car are:
  • Some DAPO ditched the FI (now running dual EMPI 40s)
  • Speakers cut into the door panels, courtesy of the same or another DAPO
  • Monza exhaust
  • Tires (though still the factory size)
  • I put on repro Euro taillights (still have the original lenses though)

Mine is 8/73 build date and has silver button gauges.

A word of audio advice: Most of the Blaupunkt stereos have a DIN connector on the back. You can buy (or build) a 3.5mm-to-DIN cable to plug an iPod right into the stock radio. I bought a cable on eBay and it works, although some wire has come loose and my radio has no power anymore.

As for the $16K offer... I think my car's condition is pretty similar and I'd have a very, very hard time turning down that kind of offer. Of course, if I accepted it, I'd immediately start looking for an already-done -6 conversion to replace it. happy11.gif
bigkensteele
I don't know. I think that it depends on your financial situation. These cars are climbing in value, even in a horrible economy. Very nice, original cars aren't growing on trees, and if you really love this one, you may want to think twice. On the other hand, if it does not really hold a place in your heart and you can make a substantial return on your investment, then flip the thing and see what you can find with your proceeds. Sixteen large will buy a pretty nice car, depending on what you want to do with it.
Eric_Shea
Turn it and get a 6 conversion.
rnellums
QUOTE(flipb @ Sep 6 2011, 07:27 PM) *

Wow, just discovered this thread after following the unfortunate demise of your last teener.

Your new one is pretty similar to mine: an early '74 with console that is very original. Only exceptions on my car are:
  • Some DAPO ditched the FI (now running dual EMPI 40s)
  • Speakers cut into the door panels, courtesy of the same or another DAPO
  • Monza exhaust
  • Tires (though still the factory size)
  • I put on repro Euro taillights (still have the original lenses though)
Mine is 8/73 build date and has silver button gauges.

A word of audio advice: Most of the Blaupunkt stereos have a DIN connector on the back. You can buy (or build) a 3.5mm-to-DIN cable to plug an iPod right into the stock radio. I bought a cable on eBay and it works, although some wire has come loose and my radio has no power anymore.

As for the $16K offer... I think my car's condition is pretty similar and I'd have a very, very hard time turning down that kind of offer. Of course, if I accepted it, I'd immediately start looking for an already-done -6 conversion to replace it. happy11.gif

I was fooling around replacing some of the bulbs in the dash wiring harness and I saw that my stereo is a Motorolola model - which seems to indicate it must have been replaced a long time ago. the PO thought it was original, but it seems to me to be of lesser quality than a Blaupunkt.
THE STIG

It'd be cool to have the only one of the world.

I posted this over in your other thread but not sure if you saw it. I was looking at a very bad shape 1970 parts car a couple of weeks ago, right after I saw your first thread. This car has a set of late crash bar doors on it in this color. I know they were original. I was in disbelief. With that said, your 914 is still super rare and an awesome 914. I also have access to those doors if you would like to see photos of them
rnellums
QUOTE(THE STIG @ Sep 7 2011, 06:42 AM) *

I was looking at a very bad shape 1970 parts car a couple of weeks ago, right after I saw your first thread. This car has a set of late crash bar doors on it in this color. I know they were original. I was in disbelief. With that said, your 914 is still super rare and an awesome 914. I also have access to those doors if you would like to see photos of them

If you had photos it would be cool to see them! Do you know anything about the donor car they may have come from?

-Ross
bandjoey
Double your money in 30 days? Absolutely. Another Fresh Start to find another jewel. Prices are going up but thre are still bargains out there.
Jaymann
Take the money!!!!Jason from PA
rnellums
The biggest downside would be that I might not make the MUSR in a month.
Tom_T
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Sep 6 2011, 07:25 PM) *

Take the money and run. But if you do, I'll wager it's a car you'll always wish you had back.

agree.gif with the latter, keep it, enjoy it, clean it up, then if you must - sell it later for an over $20k offer! biggrin.gif

BTW - Motorola made radios for both Porsche/Porsche+Audi & VW of America (VoA's VPC div.) for installation by dealers in their cars here. Not bad radios in fact, and in some cases better than some Blau's.

I have the original Motorola made AM/FM/8-Track for mine, which will go back into mine with my resto....

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

So your Motorola could be originally installed by the dealer at the time of purchase, even if not factory installed. IMHO that IS original (sorry Pat).
Tom_T
QUOTE(rnellums @ Sep 6 2011, 07:21 PM) *

I called Porsche and told them I had a 98 code, they called back and told me it was a 99 paint code. No further response.

IIRC 98 was the code for any other Porsche color offered from any model year, & 99 was for a customer selected color (i.e.: "one off's").

Call them back at PCNA & see if they have any record of the actual paint color on the Kardex record under that 99.
KELTY360
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Sep 7 2011, 05:38 PM) *

agree.gif with the latter, keep it, enjoy it, clean it up, then if you must - sell it later for an over $20k offer! biggrin.gif

Tom makes a good point. The unique beauty, rarity and desirability of your car make it a great candidate for a high dollar concours restoration.....someday. As long as you're not doing irreparable modifications it will hold that value while you enjoy it.

Of course, it could get hit by a careless driver or be caught in a hailstorm or tornado, or even vandalized in the school parking lot, at which point all bets are off. The other issue to consider is storage; are you storing the car indoors or is it sitting in a parking lot at the dorm?

You might decide the car is too valuable for the way it is going to be used and put it in the hands of someone who will restore it while you take advantage of the windfall and find a more suitable 914 plus banking a nice chunk of change to boot.

As cool as Calypso is, this isn't an easy decision. Good luck.
JRust
If you don't take it Give me their number. I have a restored creamsicle I would sell for less than that biggrin.gif

If you do take it. I would sell you my 1974 LE Creamsicle for less than that evilgrin.gif & you could still make MUSR. Hell I'd even consider driving it out to you & flying back after MUSR driving.gif

Okay back on topic. I think you should sell it. While it is a unique color. You could spend the money on a very nice 914 conversion with more power. Of course a nice stock car is great. Tough to beat a 914 with some grunt to it though
rnellums
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Sep 7 2011, 06:19 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Sep 7 2011, 05:38 PM) *

Tom makes a good point. The unique beauty, rarity and desirability of your car make it a great candidate for a high dollar concours restoration.....someday. As long as you're not doing irreparable modifications it will hold that value while you enjoy it.

Of course, it could get hit by a careless driver or be caught in a hailstorm or tornado, or even vandalized in the school parking lot, at which point all bets are off. The other issue to consider is storage; are you storing the car indoors or is it sitting in a parking lot at the dorm?

You might decide the car is too valuable for the way it is going to be used and put it in the hands of someone who will restore it while you take advantage of the windfall and find a more suitable 914 plus banking a nice chunk of change to boot.

As cool as Calypso is, this isn't an easy decision. Good luck.

I have a small 1 car garage that she stays in. I think I am going to keep her, at least for a few more years. The one frustrating thing about this car is that I enjoyed tinkering on my old car. On calypso there isn't much to fix!!!

Thanks for all the support!8
THE STIG
QUOTE(rnellums @ Sep 7 2011, 08:45 AM) *

If you had photos it would be cool to see them! Do you know anything about the donor car they may have come from?

-Ross

I do not, I was helping a friend out who has 3 914s, and he was showing me his 2 parts cars, which were both 1970 cars. I opened the door, and could not believe my eyes. I will ask him, but I am quite sure he bought the car with 2 other friends, and it was this way before they bought it. I completely understand your desire for more info from the car they were from. I will try and get him to take some photos for you.

THE STIG
dion9146
I still think you should sell it for $16K, then drive down to Louisville and buy my 3.2 conversion for not much more $. I'll make you a deal. I'm feeling an itch that I need to scratch, and it involves getting rid of the 914....

Dion
Click to view attachment
rnellums
I will certainly be thinking about that! For now I am trying to the the FI set up to where it doesn't hang when you let off the gas.

I checked the resistances of the FI harness and everything lines up to the pbanders specs.

The AAR still isn't closing after soaking it in pb for two days, it is going in for another two tonight.

I used a bit of high vaccum grease on all the vacuum line fittings and now I am able to adjust the idle speed with the screw on the manifold some.

The ECU knob is set four clicks from full lean. I had read elsewhere that it should be closer to the middle(around 11 clicks) but if I go any further, even with the idle speed screw all the way in I can't bring the idle speed down to a useable level.

Tom_T
QUOTE(JRust @ Sep 7 2011, 06:34 PM) *

If you don't take it Give me their number. I have a restored creamsicle I would sell for less than that biggrin.gif

If you do take it. I would sell you my 1974 LE Creamsicle for less than that evilgrin.gif & you could still make MUSR. Hell I'd even consider driving it out to you & flying back after MUSR driving.gif

Okay back on topic. I think you should sell it. While it is a unique color. You could spend the money on a very nice 914 conversion with more power. Of course a nice stock car is great. Tough to beat a 914 with some grunt to it though

Does it start yet Jaime? .... I'm just recalling the pix from the prior WCR! biggrin.gif poke.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(rnellums @ Sep 8 2011, 07:00 AM) *

I will certainly be thinking about that! For now I am trying to the the FI set up to where it doesn't hang when you let off the gas.

I checked the resistances of the FI harness and everything lines up to the pbanders specs.

The AAR still isn't closing after soaking it in pb for two days, it is going in for another two tonight.

I used a bit of high vaccum grease on all the vacuum line fittings and now I am able to adjust the idle speed with the screw on the manifold some.

The ECU knob is set four clicks from full lean. I had read elsewhere that it should be closer to the middle(around 11 clicks) but if I go any further, even with the idle speed screw all the way in I can't bring the idle speed down to a useable level.

There, see - you do have something to fiddl with on Calypso! biggrin.gif
... just get her all ironed out in time for MUSR! shades.gif

Those roads in NW AR are fuuu-un! driving.gif
rnellums
Been a while since the last update. MUSR was a blast, and the drive there and back from Lafayette went well. Towards the end of the drive back the clutch started acting a little funny, which leads me to the current state.

I pulled the engine to replace the clutch, and found a spot more rust in the hell hole than the previous owner had admitted to. It looked far better with the engine in. I shipped the car off to Brad Mayeur and had him put in a new right engine shelf and generally clean up the area.

Before:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

After:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

rnellums
I then turned my attention to the clutch. The previous owner told me when I bought it that it had recently had the clutch done, so I was confused by apparent failure of the clutch. When I took it apart there was deep grooving on the flywheel and little/no wear on the clutch. It was apparent that whoever replaced the clutch did not wish to machine the flywheel back to spec. Also, the pressure plate splines were badly worn from pushing the clutch so far. Fortunately I have a spare pressure plate in my leftover parts bin and will be replacing the clutch with new.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I also ordered a new rear main seal "while I'm there"

I also picked up an original 2.0L Leistritz banana muffler, which I wire brushed down and hit with a coat of zinc paint. Looking pretty sharp now.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I am also refreshing the engine bay tins and some other engine parts. Here are some before pictures, after pictures should come within the next two weeks.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
mepstein
The PO of my red car also had a parts car the same color as yours. I didn't need body parts but I did come home with the engine lid. He got rid of the shell so I don't have any more info or pics. Mark
rnellums
Interesting! I also heard about a car over in England I think that had doors of a similar color to my car. The color of those parts above does seem a little bluer than mine, but maybe it's just the light.
mepstein
It's a cloudy day here so the light and camera could be causing the difference. The underside of the lid sure looks a lot like the paint on your floor tar.
rnellums
True that! Here's another.
nathansnathan
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Sep 7 2011, 05:42 PM) *

QUOTE(rnellums @ Sep 6 2011, 07:21 PM) *

IIRC 98 was the code for any other Porsche color offered from any model year, & 99 was for a customer selected color (i.e.: "one off's").

Call them back at PCNA & see if they have any record of the actual paint color on the Kardex record under that 99.

I thought I'd read that 98 was the "paint to sample" and that 99 was were you used a porsche color from, say, a 911. Silver green metallic was a 911 color from 74-77, here on a 76 912, though it looks a little more blue in the pic.
IPB Image

I think "ice green metallic" and "silver green metallic" are the same, the german is something like "Silbergruen Diamante" (sometimes you see it translated as "silver green diamond metallic".

Here's Ferry Porsche's 73 Carrera Rs (though they didn't apparently offer that color in 73?)
IPB Image

for comparison
IPB Image

76 911s in ice green metallic
IPB Image

77 targa ice green
IPB Image

another
IPB Image

76, also ice green
IPB Image

In some lights it looks silver, sometimes more green. Awesome color for a 914, though, especially with the tan interior.
rnellums
New used pressure plate (the old one was really warped!) and cleaned up engine:
Jamie
I think you will be glad that you've apparently decided to keep the car, and regardless of condition, there is always something that needs to be tinkered with on a 914! Yours is too nice and too clean to be a normal barn find, and workin' and runnin' will be the best medicine for you both, especially since you have some experience working on her. My all original 73 with 52K keeps me busy in between club runs, and now that you have the motor out take care of all the rust you can find. Rust never sleeps, and it doesn't get any better by itself. You'll sleep better knowing you've killed some unseen rust! aktion035.gif
rnellums
Engine ready to go back in!
rnellums
I finished Installing the engine along with the newly painted tins and started her up. There were a few problems; first, the accelerator cable had broken, and was very difficult to remove (I ended up cutting the shank off the cable to remove). To install the new cable I cut 1/4" off the end of the cable and it slid in with much less difficulty. The length is almost too short, but is workable.

Second, the oil pressure idiot light was not turning on with the engine not running. The switch had stopped working. I removed it and polished the contacts and it worked again, but its time to order one from pelican.

Also, one of the fuel injectors was leaking from the injector body itself. The leak eventually stopped, but I ordered 4 NOS injectors from Otto's in California anyways.

Last weekend I drove the car to Porsche's 2 Ohio in Granville. A total of 600 miles or so and it ran without a hiccup. The E-brake seems a bit loose though, so that will need a checkup soon.

Now Pictures.

rnellums
I ended up putting the original transmission mounts back in, they looked like they weren't broken, but they are MUCH more pliable than the 911 motor mounts I have on my other transmission. Should I swap the 911 mounts in for the old stock mounts? The car seems to drive and shift fine.

Pictures are of the stock mounts.
nathansnathan
Your engine looks great. You should get a yellow bosch sticker for your coil the next time you order from aa, just because it would look cool. smile.gif
rnellums
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Jul 30 2012, 08:43 PM) *

Your engine looks great. You should get a yellow bosch sticker for your coil the next time you order from aa, just because it would look cool. smile.gif

Thanks a ton! I will order one stat!
rnellums
Just put some new fuel injectors in. One old one had a leak(that stopped eventually) but I feel much better with new equipment in there now. piratenanner.gif

Just in time for the BBQ at Garold's this weekend!

rhodyguy
did you replace the trans mounts? they were prob more pliable because they were torn up.
rnellums
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 4 2012, 09:01 AM) *

did you replace the trans mounts? they were prob more pliable because they were torn up.

The old ones are still in. I looked closely and didn't see anything that looked like a structural tear. THere were some small tears (arrowed)
rnellums
I spent most of the day today detailing the exterior. I washed it, went over it with a clay bar, then went over it with a light buffing compound before using a polishing compound and lastly some caranuba wax.

I did everything by hand, and I had no idea how much work I was getting myself into. I took a bunch of before and after pictures, but the difference just doesn't show up in pictures, so I'll only be posting the after photos.

Smooth as glass!
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.