Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 Rear Axle Hubs, Sway-A-Way axles, 911 brakes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shoguneagle
I am getting ready to convert the rear of my replica 914-Sixer to 911 brakes, 911 wheel and transaxle hubs, 911 e-brakes, and Sway-A-Way axles. I would like to use the 100mm 911 CV joints. I went to where I had my parts and information and, Alas!!!! Could not find any thing relating to information on my hard disc.

I know there are many threads concerning this matter but my searches comes up only the ones referring to the 944 axle and CV conversions. I need the information on the 911 early model down to 1973 concerning the parts numbers (911), Sway-A-Way axles for 914, lengths of these axles and spline count, etc. Sway-A-Way model number would also be helpful.

Does anyone have the needed information or direct reference to appropriate threads???

Thanks,
Steve Hurt
mepstein
I don't have the info but Eric Shea does and can order you the correct axle parts. That's where I'm getting mine. He also told me which year porsche parts to buy and I got everything I needed on pelican for $300.
shoguneagle
Thanks, Mepstein

I think I have the parts except the information and the actual Sway-A-Way axle part number, spline #, and length. I think the info on Eric having the axles will solve part if not all my problems. Thanks.

Steve Hurt
TorqueJunkie
Regarding axles, I just built 100mm CV ones using stock 914 axle, 100mm VW bus CV joints, and used the 911 stub axle 100mm from and SC at the hub side, and on the trans side used the 100mm course spline 911 stub axles for the 901 gearboxes. The only machining that needed done was to cut about 3-4 mm of material off at end of splines as the 100mm CV joints are wider, so they can slip on all the way and you can get the clip on. I used good Lobro German CV joints that were about $65 each.

jmill
I sourced my used parts on Pelican and from DC Auto. The early tranny flanges are hard to come by on Pelican. Most guys don't want to yank them out of their trans. DC Auto has them. You can negotiate price. Their list price is around $75 each. Talk nice and you can get them for a more reasonable price.

I bought the axles right from Eric along with CV grease, gaskets and new boots.
Gary
Steve,

I think the info you need is in this thread: 911 axles.

An alternative to Sway aways is 72-73 axles/CV's with coarse spline sportomatic flanges.
mepstein
QUOTE(shoguneagle @ Aug 20 2011, 09:01 PM) *

Thanks, Mepstein

I think I have the parts except the information and the actual Sway-A-Way axle part number, spline #, and length. I think the info on Eric having the axles will solve part if not all my problems. Thanks.

Steve Hurt

Here's Eric's thread on the axle - http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=91963
jaxdream
On a 914 the axle length is 20.250 " no matter what cv you use because of the trailing arm to trans distances even if you modify the arm to use 911 hubs / stubs .The CV that you chose to use will dictate the spline count on each end unless you mix the cv's . 911 100mm cv's have a different spline count ( 28 IIRC ) than the 944 100mm cvs ( 33 spline ) . A lot of guys use the 944 100mm cv that will bolt up to a 911 100mm stub axle because of the spline count on the cv center. The 914 standard axle has 33 splines on each end , the 944 100mm ( certain years ) cv has the same internal spline also but is wider than the 914 cv . That's where the machining of the 914 axle is done so that a wider ( 944 33 spline 100mm ) cv can be used on the axle after the machining process which is to cut about a 5mm wider groove on the axle on the inside keeping the 20.250" overall length . Also Eric can get axles from Sway Away for the cv of choice in the 20.250 " length with the spline count that matches the cv you plan on using. They sell axles with a longer spline area than standard with no provision of limiting the cv on the inboard side giving the axle a free float self centering ability. Contact Eric , he can set you up with the needed axles and such , you just have to decide on exactly the cv you want to use that will bolt up to a 911 stub wheel and trans side . Good luck...

Jack
bdstone914
Or this related thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=80641

Bruce
mepstein
It was Tom Butler on pelican. He does business selling 911 parts and sold me the early hubs, stubs, cv's and trans flanges for $300. All good parts and I would buy from him again.
shoguneagle
Thanks everyone for the most helpful sources and information. All of it is exactly what I needed and wanted. I so have the early 911 stub shafts and the early 911 trans hubs, four CV joints (should be 108mm), and the trans hub attaching bolts.

I have an e-mail into Eric.

Years ago I had read all the threads and again this time they were very appropriate. Andy did a great job on his 944 half-shafts. Really enjoyed reading all the information again.

Thanks again, everyone
Steve Hurt
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.