Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: not so typical build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
QUOTE(Chris Scott @ Jul 29 2016, 08:35 PM) *

Nothing good to report. We had a input shaft leak on the trans so we had to take it out and fix it and the really no bueno news is that we had to tear off the ecu and harness and go a different route. The car just could not be tuned properly. We have already started to build the new harness but time to play with projects is hard to come by so i bought myself a pacifier

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

First your Audi / 996 build looks fabulous- looking forward to the end result.

Also, love that "911 pacifier " there! You know how to enjoy the fruits of your labor pray.gif A Big Congrats.
tygaboy
QUOTE(Chris Scott @ Sep 29 2016, 12:05 PM) *

Well i am sicker than i realized blink.gif
I never thought i would have a stock 914 again

Love, Love, Love that "new" 914! But your shop/garage is too clean - and not a jack stand to be seen. I'm not sure I can trust you.
Cracker
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Sep 30 2016, 03:55 PM) *

QUOTE(Chris Scott @ Sep 29 2016, 12:05 PM) *

Well i am sicker than i realized blink.gif
I never thought i would have a stock 914 again

Love, Love, Love that "new" 914! But your shop/garage is too clean - and not a jack stand to be seen. I'm not sure I can trust you.

LOL!

agree.gif
Mike Bellis
Chris, have you given up on your other project? Long time since an update... confused24.gif
yellowporky
Mike, i have not given up. I have 2 friends who asked me to keep an eye out for clean 914's and so i have been looking and then came across this red 73 1.7 that was painted in 1986 and never put back together. 2 owner car that has 68k miles. I could just not pass it up. So the way i was able to get the car was to tell the wife it would be a flip car lol-2.gif
I am going to try to keep it.

Tygaboy, As far a the clean garage goes, it is not mine. My friend who is building the other 914 is setting up the shop to get back into cars full time so he will be finishing that car sometime soon.
Curbandgutter
Man I love what you have done. That view from behind.........dammmmm.
csdilligaf
Really looking forward to seeing the 914/Audi finished as I have just started one with the 2.7t and Cayman S 6 speed and working with forum member Curbandgutter on the 996 suspension install on both our projects. Very nice work so far and the engine looks awesome in there.
yellowporky
csdilligaf,
post up a link to your build when you can. i would be interested in seeing what you are doing
csdilligaf
I am sort of doing what you did, gather parts, get it going and some progress under way before I start a build thread. Things can take years to build. I've done one with 993 suspension and one with C5 corvette suspension and they took years to get done. I have a Machine shop that takes up so much time there is barely week ends to work on my car projects but I always have one going. Here is a pick of my 914/ 993 suspension.Click to view attachment
Cracker
Cool. Are you "coasting" down the driveway or under power? If its running, will you share a current state engine bay view of the build? Good job.

Tony
csdilligaf
I talked too Chris Scott about his 914/audi 2.7t and he guided me on a few of the things I will have to tackle. Sounds like his will be moving along here shortly. I may turn towards the same stand alone ECU if I find them still available.
Not to highjack so I will be short, Yes it is under power with an LS6 and G50/52 with a quaife LSD. I have built two similar cars with this drivetrain. And that is exactly why I am now going the Audi 2.7/ Cayman S direction. I used to be power hungry thinking the most was the best. A telephone pole changed my mind about that.
I can't wait to see how Chis's turns out. This drivetrain is perfect for a 914 and it keeps the German theme. The trans is cheap enough and bolts directly to the Audi motor so that you can buy Audi clutch package rather than an expensive adapter set up.
Mike Bellis
I love my Audi/Boxster setup. Only a 1.8t but still good for 325hp. I just don't have the suspension... Not that suspension anyway. The 911 and 930 parts still work pretty good... smile.gif
Curbandgutter
Chris this is the link to the build

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=2&t=206845

I'm Rudy. I started the build of a 996 tube frame 914 with a home built chassis table and a 996 fixture jig. CSDILLIGAF saw it and wanted to do the same thing. So now we are doing twin cars. He is a master machinist and I am an engineer that loves to wrench and weld just as much as geeking out on engineering stuff. He will start to build his tube frame once my car is unbolted from the 996 fixture that I built.

I was originally going with a coyote motor but CSDILLIGAF "Chip" talked me into going with the 2.7TT. After I saw your build and remembering how a friend of mine had an S4 with a chip and how amazing that car felt, well it was not that hard to switch from the coyote to the 2.7TT.

I'm almost done with the full tube frame. Looking to install suspension this weekend and then on to installing 2.7tt with Cayman S G87 Tranny. Your project is awesome by the way. Thanks for "paving" the way.
AZBanks
QUOTE(Chris Scott @ Jul 29 2016, 08:35 PM) *

Nothing good to report. We had a input shaft leak on the trans so we had to take it out and fix it and the really no bueno news is that we had to tear off the ecu and harness and go a different route. The car just could not be tuned properly. We have already started to build the new harness but time to play with projects is hard to come by so i bought myself a pacifier

I have a friend/business partner who builds complete plug and play VEMS systems with custom harnesses. He builds systems for several Porsche models, BMW, and Mercedes(and probably a few others we haven't talked about). He does base tunes with all his systems and can do custom tunes as well. He lives in Estonia(Eastern Europe) but is really good at responding on US time. He could build your harness and get your tune perfect.
He can deal with stock intake systems or custom intake systems. He has built up several ITB systems for 993s, 3.2 and 2.7 911's, etc.
He goes by raceboy on rennlist and pelican.

I can provide his contact info to anyone who has a VEMS system or would like to know more about VEMS systems.
yellowporky
I decided to change color and direction on the interior and will be selling the tan interior. I have posted a for sale add in the classifieds.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=312588
Thanks,
Chris
csdilligaf
So is the work about to start rolling again? Looking forward to it.
yellowporky
Still not any progress to report other than finally getting the final wheels and tires. I did make a mistake on the offset and rendered my steel gt flares too small. So i picked up a set of Sheridan rears.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

yellowporky
Pics are too large. One more
Click to view attachment
Mueller
wow....I like it. Would love to see this car in person, available Tuesday afternoon?
Promised my girls Chik-fil-a in Walnut Creek that day so we'll be in your area...sorta smile.gif
yellowporky
Saturday would work better since i have to work during the week. Pm me.
yellowporky
Finally decided on the next ecu and placed the order last night. Went with the Haltech elite 2000
Hopefully 2018 will be the year of the 914 for me.
PlaysWithCars
Wow! Interesting build and TONS of work completed. It should be a lot a fun when done.

Can you show more detail on the upper shock mount in the rear? Are there gussets below that are supporting the attachment point?

Did you have to narrow the track in the front or rear to fit the 993 suspension onto the 914 tub?
yellowporky
Mark,
It sure better be fun after this long of a process
The entire rear of the car was rebuilt to receive the stock 993 suspension so any repair parts are off the shelf. So no the track was not adjusted.
There are gussets under the shock mounting plate but we are going to add a skirt to the perimeter so it does not look flimsy.
AZBanks
QUOTE(Chris Scott @ Dec 29 2017, 06:24 PM) *

Finally decided on the next ecu and placed the order last night. Went with the Haltech elite 2000
Hopefully 2018 will be the year of the 914 for me.

Why did you switch ecu's?
yellowporky
because the first product could not run the engine properly
yellowporky
Its moving day. I am bringing my stock 73 home to work on and taking this car to my friends shop to get things rolling again.
When we got the car on the trailer we realized the front tires are too large. Oops, hopefully there will not be many more going backwards items.
Click to view attachment
Mueller
QUOTE(Chris Scott @ Jan 7 2018, 12:18 PM) *

Its moving day. I am bringing my stock 73 home to work on and taking this car to my friends shop to get things rolling again.
When we got the car on the trailer we realized the front tires are too large. Oops, hopefully there will not be many more going backwards items.

Couldn't make complete lock to lock turns?

How many 914s are there in Martinez? We went to dinner last week and saw a nice yellow 914 with Panasports on Alhambra I think. If you have 2 914's that makes for 4 in that little town that I know of.
yellowporky
It can make lock to lock turns but it looks like an awd car. Too much rubber up front. Visually not so nice. I put 275/35/18 on but it looks like should have went smaller at 265/30/18.
I have seen about 6 different 914's in martinez besides mine but not sure if they reside here.
r_towle
That rear suspension is really nice.
Must have been a tough moment with the sawmill when you made the first major cut to remove the unibody, but I love it..
csdilligaf
Chris, I really like the wheels and tires. What brand and sizes are the wheels and tires?

thanks

Chip
yellowporky
The wheels are the fikse fm5s 18x10 and 18x12. They are a 3 piece wheel and i had them powder coated satin black. The anodized black that is an option on them turns purple over time.
The tires are nitto in the rear Nt550r drag radials dot compliant 335/30/18 and fronts are 275/35/18 NT555
The front tires are the same diameter as the rear but look funny so i will be changing them to get a shorter side wall.
Ebay seller directlinewheels had a great price on the tires.
Curbandgutter
hello @yellowporky I'm interested in understanding why you're going with the Haltech. Also, if you go with the Haltech will you be able to go with the original porsche gauges? By the way, did you ever get a video of the sound with that single outlet muffler? Also, the 265 width tire is what I am going with. I'm rethinking of not using the audi ecu on my build either as I want to clean up the engine compartment and not have to use all of the extra crap that they put on it.
ri914
wow, awesome build. Thanks for the electrical help YellowPorky.
yellowporky
QUOTE(ri914 @ Oct 21 2020, 08:13 AM) *

wow, awesome build. Thanks for the electrical help YellowPorky.

Thanks and I am happy you found your issue so quickly

We have been slowly making progress on the car. We switched out the 5 speed for a 6 speed when we bought the CAE shifter
Also finally settled on the seats too. Had them sent over from the UK as they are not available domestically
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Mueller
Glad to see you making forward progress on this.

Those seats look lightweight.
yellowporky
LE standard seat made for the lotus elise
Very light and comfortable
I was torn between these and the Tillet B5 but I felt the looked more appropriate for the car
Curbandgutter
Were you able to get the fuel injection issues worked out? Were you able to get aftermarket gauges to work or did you get stuck with audi gauge cluster?

siverson
Super cool build and nice meeting you at WCR!
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Sep 4 2011, 04:57 AM) *

Wow! That engine looks pretty good in there....how many HP are you talking about? First time to see something like this...please make sure you complete the project and show us all with lots of pictures. We like pictures

Jamie...your restoration and color change came out Awesome ! Mr. Shimada and his gift of the 1/20th scale 914 model to you is a great gift as well. Do you feel that "Special" model kits are best unbuilt/ or assembled ?? I have a 914 Revell kit that's been in the box + on the "Tree" for decades . I was a model kit builder in my teens, and my best friend's Dad owned a Toy wholesale warehouse; no shortage of cars, boats, aircraft smile.gif
...now back to @yellowporky !
Marty marty914.jpg
yellowporky
@siverson

Thank you Steve it was very nice meeting you and all of the other members this weekend.
I hope you get your car back together for the next WCR!
Justinp71

Nice build!

Question (because I just went thru this) are there harness strap holes in those seats or will you use a 3 point belt?

I grew up in Martinez btw...

tygaboy
I REALLY need to come see your build...
yellowporky
@justinp71
Thanks,
No there are no holes in the seats. We will be using a 3 point seat belt for street and a harness bar for the track.

@tygaboy
The car is currently buried in the back of my friends shop since he just moved and is in the process of setting up his new larger shop. When it is out and back to being worked on it would be available to see.
I am hoping to bring it to next years WCR. Fingers crossed.
yellowporky
Now i am absolutely sure is have a problem blink.gif
This is not why the 75 is not getting completed but it sure does help pacify me during the long process.
I came across a once in a lifetime opportunities and could not pass it up.
Low mileage 1970 914-6 from AZ and So Cal.
Click to view attachment
r_towle
that will make your project car take a very very long time.

But...nice /6

Rich
yellowporky
baby steps still moving forward.
I decided to pick up a set of the 3dg auto headlights in the turn signal buckets since we deleted the original pop ups. This should save a ton of time on fabricating headlight buckets in the bumper as we had originally planned. Technology change is about the only benefit of the project taking sooooooo long.
Click to view attachment
930cabman
What are the telltale signs of the addiction?

just can't get enough?

great project, and great collection
yellowporky
If i do not admit that i have an addiction do i really have one confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.