Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: not so typical build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Eric_Shea
As close as you are to Bonneville , it would be a hoot to see what you could get there !!!

I agree... bring it on over.

Thanks for the lead Chris.
yellowporky
Eric- They have great service at Sunset. I got everything in 3 days for $312 shipped.
Also got the calipers stripped and powder coated for $120 for the set.
It is so nice to find some good deals along the way.
speed metal army
This thing is nutzo. smile.gif Nice work.We want smokey burnout videos,(drifting a bit is fine too). aktion035.gif
yellowporky
Oh no! I seem to have misplaced my trailing arms.
I like this shot with the turbo in the back ground.

Click to view attachment
yellowporky
We rolled the car out of the garage to do a good cleaning and took a few shots. Looks like someone besides me is very excited about the car.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
nathansnathan
IPB Image

Very cool build. Here's some inspiration/ food for thought in reagards to how to cover the drive train. It got me thinking about porsche number 1, how they re-did the rear lid in 2 pieces. It looks like the front piece lifts out.

IPB Image
IPB Image

The old single piece lid
IPB Image
IPB Image

Somehow it would be cooler to have it all in view unobstructed by the separation of the 2 lids back there. Maybe 1 piece hinged at the front.... smoke.gif
yellowporky
Nathan,
We have been kicking around some different ideas about the rear lids, but because of the rollbar and the lack of structure at the rear of the car our choices are limited and will probably stay with the stock hinging. I think that with the rear lid up you will get to see everything anyways. Being able to see all of the goodies from the rear of the car will be the best angle so we ruled out the rear hinged lid.
This was a photo that got us thinking about the rear hinging.
Click to view attachment
smj
Great looking build! Please continue to share the names of the shops you're working with. Especially for us locals, it seems like we could save time by going to the same source...

You mentioned flares - what are you planning on that front?
yellowporky
Smj- The car is being built in my garage by a friend of mine who is from Redding and comes down to work with me in construction so this is a side thing he is doing while down here. He does do fab work for other people. If anyone needs anything his name is Stacy and you can pm me for his number.
-The engine and transmission came from B&R autowrecking in Corvallis Oregon. Ask for Jeremy at 541-207-9014. They have 5 yards in Oregon and Washington. I have bought parts for this car, work truck and wifes car through him and the prices are very good.
-The suspension I bought 10 years ago on ebay
-I have been making lots of trips to Parts Heaven in Hayward and beating up Al and Spencer on prices for the little pieces. 510-782-0354
-Sunset Porsche for dealer only parts excellent prices and no tax 1-800-346-0182
-North Hollywood Speedometer for the gauges and sending units 818-761-5136
-Summit racing for the radiator and expansion tank.
-Vems for the ecu (not for the beginner but nice product)
That is about it so far.

As for the flares we will be using front and rear 930 flares. I did have a very badly installed set of sc flares installed 10 years ago by a local guy that we cut off after getting the new suspension on and having the tires stick out 1.5 inches.

We did get the car running last week and it sounds incredible. I will get a video posted up soon.

Thanks,
Chris
yellowporky
Just when I thought I had it all figured out we changed direction on the flares. Looks like I will be selling my set of 930 flares and buying a set of steel 914 gt flares. Let me know if anyone has a set they are not going to use and also if anyone wants to buy the 930 flares.
Thanks,
Chris

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
I need some part numbers... sad.gif I called Sunset and they told me "only complete kits with pistons etc."
yellowporky
Eric,
They only sell as a kit but the price is so good that it dosent seem to feel that bad buying parts that you really do not need. I tried brembo suppliers and bugged so many people including you to find a source for the scrapers and o rings and nobody could help.
Mike Bellis
I would buy your flares to fix up my 930 flares. But I'm saving for my engine rebuild. BTW, My car has 8 flares. The 930 sheet metal does not cover the wheel well. I have 2 flares at each corner grafted together.
yellowporky
Mike,
We knew that the 930 flares on the front were going to need to have an extension made up but the rear flares with the factory metal bumper extensions work. My car did have complete sc flares on the rear and 73 front flares already installed and we cut them off because the tires stuck out with the new suspension.
Mike Bellis
No rear bumper extensions on mine. Just double flares. I need to sand blast mine and fix some seams. The PO lap welded them to eachother and then to the fender. In his defence, it was a SCCA race car. There is evidence that the right side was replaced due to track damage at one time.
yellowporky
Sold my flares, now I need to find a set of 914 gt steel flares hopefully without having to pay retail. Let me know if anyone can help me.
Thanks,
Chris
yellowporky
Has anyone used Restoration and Designs gt flares?
Chris
http://www.restoration-design.com/Merchant...tegory_Code=914
yellowporky
Just called them and they are selling the AA flares
914_1.8t
Chris, I'm doing something very very similar, can I give a call next week...I'd love to come take a look at this and get some ideas if your available.
yellowporky
pm me anytime
yellowporky
Found a set of flares
Thanks Bud
yellowporky
My 5 year old is quite the car nut, he made me stop in at the local dealer so he could decide what car he would save up for.
Click to view attachment
yellowporky
I just emptied out our storage unit and did not find the windshield that I though I had. Now it looks like I need one. If anyone local has one in good condition please let me know.
Thanks,
Chris
yellowporky
No real progress lately but did solve a couple of issues.
I purchased a new windshield for $220. Seemed to be the best deal I could find.
Also when we ran the car on jack stands and put it in gear we found out that the left rear wheel was bent. I looked everywhere and could not find a new barrel or complete rim so I started looking for someone to staighten it. I did finally find someone to fix the wheel and his service was fast and reasonable so I wanted to let everyone know about Kris from Curbside wheel repair 925-596-5603. He is out of Dublin but he picked up, fixed and delivered the wheel in less than 24hrs.
3d914
Chris, can't wait to hear that engine. Be sure to post some vids.

ENjoy!
yellowporky
we will post it up soon. we are working on the start button and the removal of the ignition switch so the wiring has all been taken apart. I am very surprised at how quite the engine is at idle but still has a great growl when reved up.
yellowporky
Baby steps,
I finally found a couple of hours to get the new push button ignition switch wired up. Now i need to cut off the old switch from the column and fiberglass a new cover for the column. Feels good to get rid of one more failing original piece.
Click to view attachment
euro911
Any updates?

popcorn[1].gif
yellowporky
Went for its first test drive and it was absolutely amazing. I will post up a video clip soon.
Click to view attachment
Chris Pincetich
awesome beerchug.gif
Dr Evil
Dang popcorn[1].gif
Mike Bellis
I gotta come see this thing. I almost forgot about this project. Looks awesome!
euro911
Are you gonna fill in the rear area around the tail pipe outlet with expanded metal/mesh material?

maybe you could cut up an old engine lid grille idea.gif
yellowporky
We were thinking of using the engine grille mesh to fill that area to keep the look consistent.
zambezi
Copy cat. You mean something like this.
Click to view attachment
euro911
Yeah, consistency or continuity were the words I was looking for.

Very nice smile.gif

popcorn[1].gif
Mueller
Wow....I just found this thread...too cool.

I'll have to come over and check this car out, I need to go visit Bob (blackmoon here) to get my Haynes manual from him once I start working on my car again, he lives off of Alhambra (I know, the longest street in Martenez)

Think you'll have the car ready for the weekly car shows this summer in Downtown? We go there and then eat at La Tapatia!
siverson
Neat. I'm not sure how I've never seen this thread before either. Looks fun.

What is the current state of the build?

-Steve

yellowporky
Thanks guys for checking in. Not much has happened since its test drive. I am hoping to get things going this spring.

Mike if you want to stop in send me a pm when you are going to be in Martinez
Mike Bellis
This thread needs an update! popcorn[1].gif
76-914
agree.gif How did I miss this build. Bad ass! Too caught up in my own stromberg.gif ? confused24.gif
Mike, we might also need a new forum dedicated to build threads to handle The Pandora's Box which Steve unwittingly opened. Cluster comes to mind. Now what was the 2nd word? shades.gif
914forme
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Oct 2 2015, 12:30 AM) *

This thread needs an update! popcorn[1].gif

agree.gif popcorn[1].gif feed my addictions please poke.gif
r_towle
Bump for an update?
yellowporky
Nothing good to report. We had a input shaft leak on the trans so we had to take it out and fix it and the really no bueno news is that we had to tear off the ecu and harness and go a different route. The car just could not be tuned properly. We have already started to build the new harness but time to play with projects is hard to come by so i bought myself a pacifier

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
sixnotfour
something new, something old .. first.gif
Cracker
I don't recall ever seeing this build either - very impressive indeed. Its hard to see these things through - without becoming distracted - I know first hand. Nice new Porsche you have there... that might just be the "death-nail" of the teener build... rolleyes.gif

T
PanelBilly
Did you buy it for the drive train? Might make a nice teener project
yellowporky
Thanks, i am very happy with the new toy. Definitely not the death nail for the teener, as it is still my favorite car of all time. I drove a friends spec boxster the other day and it made me miss the 914. My friend who is building the car is going to be getting back into cars full time so there is hope that it will be completed in this life time.
Cracker
Glad to hear it...looking forward to following the progress. smilie_pokal.gif

Tony
yellowporky
Well i am sicker than i realized blink.gif
I never thought i would have a stock 914 again
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.