Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Joes 2056 build thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
jsayre914
I have been searching all the 2056 threads. Their should really be a 2056 for dummies thread biggrin.gif

I plan on building a 2056 D-jet from my stock 2.0 1973 motor. I have been collecting parts since 2009 rolleyes.gif

Here is what I got so far:

2.0 motor (havent split it yet)
D-Jet system off my 73
4 cleaned & Tested injectors
new wiring harness from bowlsby
new tps board
new hoses
rabby 9550 cam kit
1.8 rockers and swivel feet
aa 96mm cylinder & pistons

I might be forgettin a few things, it has been a while. idea.gif

The heads should be sent out within the week to be checked and prepared with new seats, valves, etc. And I will be splitting the case open this week also. All the cool kids are doing it smile.gif

What other thing do I need to purchase as I begin???

gaskets, bearings, flywheel ??? confused24.gif

also what tools are required other than the basic tools?

I never done this before
hide.gif

thanks
Joseph
Valy
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Sep 12 2011, 03:32 PM) *

1.8 rockers and swivel feet

I think you want the 1.7 rockers to go with the Rabby cam.

QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Sep 12 2011, 03:32 PM) *

What other thing do I need to purchase as I begin???

Beer, sealant and tools. I would also plan for a new clutch.

And those injectors... if they've been waiting too much time, you may have some surprises.

welcome.png
yeahmag
I think these days you will need to buy a "cam kit" from Jake. That will include everything you need to do the job. You will also need to budget for lot's of machining. You may consider things like:

* Full flow
* Type I oil pump
* External Oil Cooler
* Complete Gasket Kit
* Cam and Main Bearings
* Rebuild the heads with SS valves, upgraded springs, and keepers
* Dynamic balance of all components
* Resurface flywheel
* Replace clutch and pressure plate (prior to balance job)
* Does your MPS hold vacuum?
* Got all the tools to do the job?
- Head CC'ed
- Valve train geometry
- Deck Height
- Torque wrenches (including inch pound)

No wonder my garage is so full...

VaccaRabite
I think Joe got the cam kit, not just the cam.

You need an engine seal kit.
I'd not bother with the external cooler now. That can be added later, if needed.

You need an engine stand with a VW/Porsche adapter. If you don't have one, you can borrow mine as I am not using it.

You will probably need new main bearings. If cam bearings did not come in the cam kit, you need them too.

If Jake still offers this service, consider sending your rotating mass to Jake to have it dynamically balanced. Also, I had Jake fit the bearings properly to my case. You can do this yourself, but I felt better having a pro do it for me.

If you don't want to spend the money to ship everything to Jake, or he no longer offers this service, call Mark at Warrior Motors in Red Lion. I've had him do a bunch of work for me and he is a good machinist and an honest dude.

If you need special tools, ask me before you buy anything. I may have it. I also have Jakes engine video. Swing over and borrow it if you don't already have it.

Lots of shop rags and carb cleaner. Lots.

Zach
jsayre914
QUOTE(Valy @ Sep 12 2011, 07:46 PM) *

I think you want the 1.7 rockers to go with the Rabby cam.

Yup, thats what I meant. chair.gif

I just shipped my heads today, Now I need to watch Jakes video. I bought it a few years ago. Havent watched it yet beerchug.gif popcorn[1].gif

I am excited now
chowtime.gif
jsayre914
adding to the list...

victor reinz gasket set for a 2.0

engine stand (40 bucks) harbor freight piratenanner.gif

Yoke (borrowing from Zach)

I also stripped the engine down last night on the floor of the garage. I have to still remove the pistons, and the oil pump, but thats it. Its basically ready to split. I figured I should wait to put it on the stand before i split the case. But what do I know.

once split, what is my next move?

ship the case crank rods flywheel off to get them balanced and new berrings put in??

...remember.... i am learning.....

popcorn[1].gif
HAM Inc
Joe when you get your rotating assembly balanced be sure to have your clutch pressure plate balanced too. It will likely be out more than the other components.

BTW, your heads look great now that the blue paint has been removed. There actually was a very nice pair of castings under all that paint and grime!
VaccaRabite
you dont need an engine stand. my yolk is welded to an engine stand. Save yo dough yo!

Zach
TheCabinetmaker
You'll need a dial indicator for setting the valve train geometry, and an adjustable pushrod. You'll need a calculator, and pen and paper for recording everything. You probably don't have a screwdriver wide enough to tighten the oil relief valve (I didn't). I made one from the end of an old file. You'll need lots of patience. Clean your glasses, cause you're gonna do lots of reading. And that beer? Leave it in the frig till you put the cover back on the engine after each time you work on it.

I spent a year building your exact engine. It now has 300 miles on it. It has no oil leaks, and just screams compared to the 90 hp, 2.0. 3rd gear acceleration is more than I ever dreamed of. My bro says it rivals his 78 911. I really doubt that, but it is quick.

Good luck. Hope ya have as much fun as I did.
jsayre914
QUOTE(HAM Inc @ Sep 21 2011, 04:22 PM) *

Joe when you get your rotating assembly balanced be sure to have your clutch pressure plate balanced too. It will likely be out more than the other components.

BTW, your heads look great now that the blue paint has been removed. There actually was a very nice pair of castings under all that paint and grime!

I am sooo glad they came out good. I was nervous sending them to you in such barf.gif condition.

Cant wait to see them. (insert picture here)

beerchug.gif
jsayre914
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Sep 21 2011, 04:48 PM) *

You'll need a dial indicator for setting the valve train geometry, and an adjustable pushrod. You'll need a calculator, and pen and paper for recording everything. You probably don't have a screwdriver wide enough to tighten the oil relief valve (I didn't). I made one from the end of an old file. You'll need lots of patience. Good luck. Hope ya have as much fun as I did.

1) what kinda dial indicator? harbor freight mabey?
2) i have the adjustble pushrods from Jake
3) borrow a calculator from my daughter wub.gif
4) My wife thinks I have a very large screwdriver rolleyes.gif
5) Patience... I started collecting parts for this build 3 years ago

Thanks for the advise
beerchug.gif
DNHunt
I don't know if anyone mentioned a rear main seal. They aren't in the gasket kit. I can't remember if the front seal is in there or not.

Dave
TheCabinetmaker
I bought mine at hf, but I got the better one.
VaccaRabite
I have an adjustable push rod and dial indicator. Borrow them when you borrow the engine yolk and stand. You will also need my ring compressor.

Zach
jsayre914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Sep 21 2011, 09:47 PM) *

I have an adjustable push rod and dial indicator. Borrow them when you borrow the engine yolk and stand. You will also need my ring compressor.

Zach

I can stop by Sunday Morning about 10:30am on my way to work. Cant stay long though.

Thanks Neighbor aktion035.gif
jsayre914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Sep 21 2011, 09:47 PM) *

Zach

I can stop by Sunday Morning about 10:30am on my way to work. Cant stay long though.

Thanks Neighbor aktion035.gif
VaccaRabite
See you then my double posting friend. smile.gif
Zach
jsayre914
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Sep 21 2011, 06:48 PM) *

I don't know if anyone mentioned a rear main seal. They aren't in the gasket kit.
Dave

Got it ! thanks for the heads up, it was not in the kit.

More items to add to my collection:

1) Keith Black Hypereutectic Cast 2.0 2056 96mm Pistons drooley.gif

2) Rear main Seal

3) Cap / Rotor / WR-7s

4) Magnecor Wire Set

sounds like my next step is to box up all my rotating pcs and send them off to Jake for balancing. And send my case off to Rimco to have it inspected and the galley plugs tapped. I will also check with local shop to measure my AA jugs for roundness. I might get the phone number of your guy Zach.

Does this sound like I am going in the right direction??

comments welcomed

popcorn[1].gif
jsayre914
These just came today biggrin.gif

Sure r purdy wub.gif
type47
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Oct 6 2011, 09:08 AM) *

hmmm drooley.gif , from Jake?
jsayre914
QUOTE(type47 @ Oct 6 2011, 03:24 PM) *

QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Oct 6 2011, 09:08 AM) *

hmmm drooley.gif , from Jake?

YUP !
shades.gif
VaccaRabite
I'm glad you decided tO get them.
jsayre914
Sooo, when I send my case off to Rimco.

I tell them I want it Cleaned, Inspected, and then assuming everything is good... galley plugs drilled and tapped???

Everybody says Rimco is good to deal with right???

I am trying to do everything right the first time.

Thanks
VaccaRabite
NO!
Send your case to Mark at Warrior Motors in Red Lion. NO NEED to ship it to CA.

Tell mark what you want done, and make sure to have him check the cylinder registers.

Zach
jsayre914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 7 2011, 07:27 PM) *

NO!

Tell mark what you want done, and make sure to have him check the cylinder registers.

Zach

I assume I should also bring the 96MM jugs to be checked before putting the KB pistons in them.

Anything eles I should bring... flywheel, etc ???

beerchug.gif
Valy
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Oct 7 2011, 04:29 PM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 7 2011, 07:27 PM) *

NO!

Zach

I assume I should also bring the 96MM jugs to be checked before putting the KB pistons in them.

Anything eles I should bring... flywheel, etc ???

beerchug.gif

camshaft (if not new)
lifters
crankshaft
rods
heads
get everything balanced

jsayre914
Minor Setback. I was pulling out my stash of parts and found this on my brand new 96mm AA jug. 3 are fine and one is missing a coulple of fins sad.gif

I assume this is not O.K. to use ??? So now i can bore out 1 of the stockers, or hell... bore out all four of the original jugs???

Please Help me.

I am putting the KB pistons inside these. Such a waste if I cannot use this new set I purchased 2 years ago. It was just sitting in the box and I never checked them

chair.gif chair.gif chair.gif chair.gif sad.gif
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
scotty b
It's toast, and the AA's are a crap shoot anyway. My inclination would be to bore out the stockers, and have the AA's checked. If they are a good batch you have 3 decent ones you could sell if anyone needed one or 2
914rat
You can buy just 1 jug from AA.The stock jugs are a higher quality steel and come highly recommended for boring out for 96mm pistons.
VaccaRabite
Yep, bore the stock ones. They are better then the AA jugs. Sell the AA jugs off.

Zach
jsayre914
Few more pics of the guts before bed smile.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

welder.gif
jsayre914
Dropped the case off with Mark @ Warrior yesterday piratenanner.gif Very nice guy ! I also gave him the stock cylinders and 96mm KB pistons. He will bore them and check the fit. He did not want all my spinning parts yet.

Without my case I decided I needed somthing eles to work on so I got to cleaning engne tin, fan shroud, intake runners etc. etc.

Just dropped all that off at the local powdercoaters

beerchug.gif beer3.gif beerchug.gif

popcorn[1].gif
Im almost on the home stretch
VaccaRabite
I'm a big fan of Marks work. Not only does he work with you to get what you want, he does not set out to break your checking account.

Zach
draganc
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Nov 16 2011, 01:55 PM) *

Dropped the case off with Mark @ Warrior yesterday

could you please provide some details (webpage, phone, adress) about mark at warrior? I'm looking for a "local" machine shop in or around south/central NJ.
Thanks!

VaccaRabite
Warrior Motors in Dallastown PA (near York). Probably a good 2 hours from S/C New Jersey. He does a LOT of v8 stuff, but always has VW stuff in his shop as well. he did my T4 case, and has done all the machine work for the 350 I'm building.

At one point Mark talked me out of the more expensive option as it would not have added benefit from my configuration. That alone save me ~$500. He is a stand up guy.

Zach
draganc
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Nov 16 2011, 06:08 PM) *

Warrior Motors in Dallastown PA (near York). Probably a good 2 hours from S/C New Jersey. He does a LOT of v8 stuff, but always has VW stuff in his shop as well. he did my T4 case, and has done all the machine work for the 350 I'm building.

At one point Mark talked me out of the more expensive option as it would not have added benefit from my configuration. That alone save me ~$500. He is a stand up guy.

Zach

thanks zach! beerchug.gif
jsayre914
Called Warrior motors once a week for the last 3 weeks, never got a call back dry.gif

I am swampped at work (Christmas) and have not had time to go check on the progress of my case or cylinders. I got a call from Mark this morning... He smashed his hand a few weeks ago sad.gif hasnt worked on anyones engines and has not even looked at mine yet. He did apologize and told me he will get to it as soon as possible

sad2.gif
Now I wait some more.
VaccaRabite
Dude, I am very sorry.
Mark was always really fast at returning my calls and always was willing to work with me about timelines. His shop is always full.

Zach
jsayre914
Cant be long now....

any day....

popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif

In the mean time, I have still been collecting parts, painting parts, drinking beer.

Will post some pics when I am not drinking great beer smile.gif
VaccaRabite
Next tuesday stop by marks shop to see if he is in. Ask him if his hand is better and when your stuff will be done. I he does not know then take it home. He will understand and probably has a huge backlog now.

Ask around. I know there is another VW place but don't know how much aircooled work they do. Call the guys over at Broadway Autoparts on 74 in Red Lion and ask them for a machinist. They have one on staff but he is not set up to do your work. He knows other guys though.

Also email some of the SPVWC guys. There are lots of VWs in the York area, and lots of machinists. Some will know VW stuff.

You could also call Translog, Peek Performance in MD. or Bus Depot outside Philly or Aircooled Racing just north of us and ask for a reccommdation.

Sorry Mark messed up his hand. He is good, but should be good in letting his customers know what's going on when they call too.
saigon71
Joe:

I hope everything works out with Marks shop. If not, here is some info for a "local" guy I used in the late 80's for air cooled VW engine work. He did affordable, top notch work.

Wagner's Vw Service 144 S Fair Lane
Grantville, PA 17028-8814
717-469-0123

His name is Luke Wagner.

Bob

76-914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Sep 12 2011, 05:36 PM) *

I also have Jakes engine video. Swing over and borrow it if you don't already have it.

Zach

Maybe it's just me, but isn't this the same thing as stealing?? People that make these videos deserve to be paid for their services; in full. I think that many here have greatly benefited from other members "how to videos" and when we "loan" our copies we are basically stealing from the guy's that made it possible for the rest of us. Just saying............ confused24.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 29 2011, 10:57 AM) *

I also have Jakes engine video. Swing over and borrow it if you don't already have it.

Zach

Maybe it's just me, but isn't this the same thing as stealing?? People that make these videos deserve to be paid for their services; in full. I think that many here have greatly benefited from other members "how to videos" and when we "loan" our copies we are basically stealing from the guy's that made it possible for the rest of us. Just saying............ confused24.gif

Borrowing a video is not stealing. Duplicating and selling copies would be stealing.
VaccaRabite

Zach

Maybe it's just me, but isn't this the same thing as stealing??

No, loaning is not stealing. If it was, libraries, video rental places, etc. would not be able to function. The ability to loan out books, music, movies and other art is protected under law.

Under fair use I can loan a copy of anything I buy so long as I don't duplicate the work in the process.

If you don't like it, you don't need to share. But I was brought up that friends help their friends. Its also not stealing if I loan out my engine stands or anything else that I don't happen to be using at the time.
jsayre914
Since we are heading off topic anyway, and I am waiting forever....

I did purchase Jakes video last year. shades.gif I think everyone should buy one, its a great video. It dosnt have the cool intro like the great Dr. Evils video. I put the video in the garage and it has been lost ever since.

Thanks for the offer Zach

Thanks for the video Jake

Joseph Sayre

76-914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Dec 29 2011, 08:46 AM) *

Zach

No, loaning is not stealing. If it was, libraries, video rental places, etc. would not be able to function. The ability to loan out books, music, movies and other art is protected under law.

Under fair use I can loan a copy of anything I buy so long as I don't duplicate the work in the process.

If you don't like it, you don't need to share. But I was brought up that friends help their friends. Its also not stealing if I loan out my engine stands or anything else that I don't happen to be using at the time.

You either get it or you don't and you didn't. The disc is just a piece of plastic. What is sold is the intellectual property. At least you are able to justify this within your moral framework.
mepstein
QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 30 2011, 10:34 AM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Dec 29 2011, 08:46 AM) *

Zach

You either get it or you don't and you didn't. The disc is just a piece of plastic. What is sold is the intellectual property. At least you are able to justify this within your moral framework.

I just lent a book to my son that I bought for myself. I guess it's time to call the thought police. screwy.gif
jsayre914
So I got a call from the powder shop. Everything is ready for pickup.

piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

I also picked up a few more parts:

Narrow band air/ fuel guage

oil pressure guage

smile.gif
jsayre914
Going to Warrior tommorow. (wish me luck)

will post pics of my tins tommorow, they are drooley.gif
jsayre914
As promissed drooley.gif
I think they did an outstanding job, considering the condition I dropped them off in rolleyes.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.