Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Inner long Chassis Stiff Kit install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Trekkor
O.K. folks, here it is from start to finish:

First you must remove the seam sealer and body tar from the inside corner of the longs.
Trekkor
It is very thick in the corners.
Trekkor
notice the bead of seam sealer that must come out so the sheet metal can fit to the floor pan tight.
Trekkor
another
Trekkor
an air chisel works very well to remove the material
Trekkor
the width of the chisel point using careful, short bursts will quickly break out the tar.
Trekkor
tar out
Trekkor
without removal of the seam sealer and tar the sheet metal panels will not fit properly.
Trekkor
passenger side drops right in.
Trekkor
driver side in. the area around the e-brake handle needs to be worked to fit the contour smash.gif
Trekkor
more smash.gif

I like to grind the edges for a good bite with the welder
Trekkor
the inside corners need to be bent and worked into place smash.gif
Trekkor
other side
Trekkor
back piece in .
3 sided dry fitment. Make sure it fits tight before any welding begins.
Trekkor
welder.gif
put the weld in the hole and burn into the car's long. then back fill the holes and make good contact into the long sheetmetal.

It takes practice. Use low voltage and fast wire speed.
Trekkor
mask off the interior and windows so as not to damage them. Ask me how I know headbang.gif

grind your work
jgiroux67
What are the black ovals for that are on the passenger side long's? Are they for access to the heater hose or what?
Trekkor
driver side and ground down
Trekkor
back plate
Trekkor
all three sides tied in welder.gif
Trekkor
corner detail shot
Trekkor
ready for paint
Trekkor
paint
Trekkor
rattle can , daddy cool_shades.gif
Trekkor
spray it
Trekkor
bird's eye
Trekkor
The black ovals are tar pieces that cover access holes to the paper air tubes.

This install took about six hours.
Why do it?
Simple...It makes an instant, noticable differance in all around handling and steering response.
Obvious stiffening and strengthening can be had for 18#'s of metal.
Take out and leave out the sound deadening matte behind your back pad and it's a three pound investment.

The car will stay flatter and turn in smoother in the fast turns. My car does not lift the front wheels anymore.
I also added a rear stock sway bar to go with the package.

I believe that my car is now very well balanced for me and now I must gain experience to drive it well.

No understeer at all to speak of. Oversteer is only present when throttle induced ( the good kind ).

Come to Marina and feel the car.

Trekkor

Hope you enjoyed my little show welder.gif
RON S.
Great job, smilie_pokal.gif
That is a great documentary on your install.
At bare minimum,you've given someone else an education,and some encouragement to tackle their own job.
You should let us know where you got your kit,and for how much$$$$.

Ron
sgomes
Awesome job both with the welding and the pictorial! (I think that is the first time I've seen someone add the arrows ON THE CAR and not with photoshop!)

smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

I vote for "classic" status! Anyone second the nomination? wavey.gif
seanery
The kit is Engman's Inner Long Reinforcement kit Available Here
nebreitling
QUOTE(sgomes @ Jul 19 2004, 04:38 AM)

I vote for "classic" status! Anyone second the nomination? wavey.gif

I second that!

Trekkor just showed me this at the AX in Alameda. I must say that just jumping up and down on the longs, one can notice a substantial improvement.

i'm thinking about it now...
buck toenges
How do you think that this "inner" kit compares with those "outer" longitunal kits? Same amount of stiffness? Less weight?
bperry
Out of curiousity, which welder did you use and did you use gas
or just flux wire?

--- bill
Katmanken
I'm still trying to figure out how he welded all those little holes...... blowtorch.gif

to a painted metal chassis....... blink.gif

Without going through a paint strip step.

Ken biggrin.gif
Trekkor
Miller wire feeder mig welder.

When the wire hits the metel kit it burns right through the painted surface, then you swirl a puddle of metal to fill the hole. Very simple. You'll be a pro in ten minutes. wink.gif
Trekkor
The secret to good welds on thin material is low voltage and fast wire speed. welder.gif

Here's the settings I used.
seanery
Does that have clickstops at each # for power? Mine has an infinite adjustment rheostat.
Trekkor
I know it clicks at each interval. I've never tried it between 'em. Not my machine.

Trek
Qarl
I have a question...

Is there a reason why you didn't weld all edges of the stiffening piece?

It appears from the photos that you welded the holes, and then only did a stitch weld around the outside perimieter of the stiffening kit.
Trekkor
Good question. idea.gif

My understanding is that a deep spot weld every 3 inches and perimeter stiches are enough.

I don't know if full beads around the edges would do anything but add time...and weight! lol2.gif \

KT
Engman
Wow - great pics on the install and testing! The one I am working on is gonna take awhile.

On the welding of the edges - it depends upon the quality of the metal you are welding to. If the floorpans and top and front areas are solid I recommend a 1/2" weld every 3-4". Watch the ones on the top to make sure your door gasket will still fit correctly.

Trekkor - great job! smilie_pokal.gif

M
Qarl
I don't know if full beads around the edges would do anything but add time...and weight!

I was concerned more in the event that water got in your car, that water would run in between the panels causing rust... unless it were all sealed shut with welds!
Trekkor
You could use silicone.

I'm going to do that, thanks.

KT
IronHillRestorations
Are these pieces made of coated steel?

My personal/professional preference is 3M Weld through primer on the car steel and "galvanealed" steel. I don't know if galvaneal is the trade name or what, but it's a non-rusting coating that can be welded through with minimal fumes. This would help prevent any future corrosion, even if it got wet. I also use the SEM two part catalyzed seam sealer, which is expensive but very good. When you think about it, what's another $28 for seam sealer, after you've spent hours doing this sort of work?

The other thing to consider is the fact that most of these cars will not see the exposure that they did, say with the 2nd or 3rd owner, ie as a daily driver or whatever.

What about an L at the bottom to tie it to the pan a little easier? Just my .02. I made some very similar pieces about a year and a half ago to put on a car that needed some structural help, but I made them so it turned inboard 90 at the bottom, to weld to the pan. This looks like a great kit. (howbout a thumbs up smilie?)

PK cool.gif
Engman
These have a zinc phosphate coating and then are primered with a weldable primer. I am trying to stay away from galvanized steel. Welding galvanized is just plain nasty. I always have to drink a glass of milk after I do much of it. (helps get rid o the taste).The fumes generated by welding galvanized are just horrible for you, steel is bad enough.

The 'L' at the bottom has been talked about. Most people do not relize that the front area goes has a slight incline follwed by a flat area followed by a \ to another flat area. It may be better to make a piece just for this.

M
seanery
Hey Mark, what about the ecoating, does it need to be removed before welding?
Engman
No ecoat on these puppies. I do run it through the cleaning system and zinc phospate them. Then a weldable primer coat. You can weld the ecoat - it will weld after you get a ground to it, it is just not for this product.

M
seanery
I was referring to the other stuff-rear sway bar mounts in particular.
Engman
Rear sways - ground to the car (make sure battery and ECU are disconnected) and just wire wheel or gring the edges were you want to weld. You really only need one to start, the others will burn thru after you start to weld. Be sure to touch up with some paint after you are done welding and it has cooled.

M
Brad Roberts
Great job Trekkor clap56.gif Sorry I didnt have time for a writeup. I highly recommend this setup for V8 cars and 6 conversion cars or anyone who runs a track car. Tying these pieces together is more important that slapping on the exterior kits. The chassis flexes most directly below the windshield hoop. The other kits out there weld onto a COVER for the frame rail. This kit actually attaches TO the frame rail.

Thanks Mark for another quality product. Hopefully the 914 community will reward you with some sales.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.