Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: supercharger
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
paroxysm
I thought about using the charger off my g60 on my type 4, but went the swap route instead.IPB Image
Dasnowman
Interesting! w00t.gif
falconfp2001
I actually have a Judson that needs rebuilding. Unfortunately they are only for Type 1 style engines where the fan shroud is above not below and the single PICT carb.

They only added a small amount of HP.

They are very pricey if you find one.
ThePaintedMan
Okay, I got kind of lost/sidetracked while reading this thread, especially in regarding to the dual spark distributors.

But there is a really cool thread over at the Samba where someone created a dual dizzy setup for a Type 1 - I didn't even know this was possible!

IPB Image

Video of it running here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic...sc&start=60
Mblizzard
I did a supercharger once in the 90s on a 2.0 but kept it fuel injected. Cooling was always the biggest problem. While we were able to program (trick) the brain box into pouring massive amounts of fuel in resulting in some serious power, we were never able to cool it well enough. It was a beast to drive with the sound of a million pissed off bees right behind your head. It died in a fiery internal meltdown but what a trip it was.
Mueller
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Apr 11 2013, 04:01 PM) *

Okay, I got kind of lost/sidetracked while reading this thread, especially in regarding to the dual spark distributors.

But there is a really cool thread over at the Samba where someone created a dual dizzy setup for a Type 1 - I didn't even know this was possible!

IPB Image

Video of it running here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic...sc&start=60

Hey George,

If you google "964 distributor belt" you will see how similar in design that one in the picture above is to how the factory did it on the 3.6 motors. I had to replace the belt in mine when I 1st bought the car.

And a bump for supercharged Type IV's !
ablesnead
I owned the first finished type 4 dual plug head from Jay..he used a Nissian pickup distributor...I bought and delivered the mill he used..everyone could notice how much smoother the idle was ( carbs )...I had no frame of reference for a power difference . Jay was part of the crowd building 600 horsepower CSI turbos for the 3.2 guys back in the day . I don't believe that he was a machinist , but he was very bright , and lacked integrity...Tim Studdard of Grassroots ( ax action then )used to hang at the shop sometime , working on a 914 if I remember right . I drove Jays street car ...CSI turbo on a 2.7 I think.. I won my class in the GUNNER CUP with it...astounding acceleration even by today's standard...I ran across an ad for RPM recently in another state I think, still advertising twin plug...man Time flies
Maltese Falcon
Don't forget to service the bearings, shafts and drain/ refill with oil at 100,000mi. intervals. More maint. on the supercharger is the reason I prefer turbos over superchargers. Magnacharger going in for service, shown here Click to view attachment
Marty
3d914
This is very cool. Keep us posted with added info.

TIA
Mueller
Back up again for those that like strange stuff smile.gif

Found some super small superchargers from Aisin, supposedly used as smog pumps.
Can be found on ebay and other places pretty cheap.

AMR500 if you want to google it...

According to some of the places selling them one could get 5psi on a 1600cc motor if driven 2:1 so that you don't exceed max rpm of the supercharger which is 18000max or 16000 continuous...not sure that the redline of a 1.7 is?

Perhaps run 2 of them? smile.gif

It would still seem smarter or more ideal to use an Eaton supercharger from a small Mercedes or Mazda(?)
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 16 2015, 09:58 AM) *
According to some of the places selling them one could get 5psi on a 1600cc motor if driven 2:1 so that you don't exceed max rpm of the supercharger which is 18000max or 16000 continuous...not sure that the redline of a 1.7 is?

idea.gif

Those would fit nicely on my 3.6L ...
happy11.gif
mgp4591
Howzabout a centrifugal supercharger like a Paxton or a Procharger? Isn't that like the G60 supercharger also? Run it thru a water to air intercooler for maximum benefit on an aircooled engine... idea.gif
Dr Evil
popcorn[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.