Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking For Advice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kconway
I've got a Carter fuel pump and I'm trying to find a place to locate it. I was thinking there would be room up under the car where the steering rack is but I looked there but can't imagine where I could put it. Not real comfortable with cutting open an access hole where the later cars had them located.

Any good ideas in these photos?

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Kev
76-914
Maybe this will help:

The grommets came from a $4 HF kit. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=117077 I know you know how to but this might save you a few minutes measuring time. I have more detailed pics if you want. Originally I planned to cut an area out like the 75-76 but for some reason I questioned the tank shape on my 73 and decided that it either would not allow it or it was too close to call and I didn't want to end up with a hole cut out for nothing. The blue tape was just a reference to the floor board.
GeorgeRud
Take off the cover that shields the steering rack, and you should be able to fit the pump next to the rack. This will save you from having to cut holes in the front trunk, and if a leak would develop, it would just drain onto the ground.

Also, the cover will protect the pump but still have it serviceable. Since the fuel lines are already there, why not?
Grelber
+1 Mine is that same one, and it's underneath on the cross member by the steering rack.
kconway
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Oct 5 2011, 12:37 PM) *

Take off the cover that shields the steering rack, and you should be able to fit the pump next to the rack. This will save you from having to cut holes in the front trunk, and if a leak would develop, it would just drain onto the ground.

Also, the cover will protect the pump but still have it serviceable. Since the fuel lines are already there, why not?

I wish I could get a photo of where you put yours. I sure don't see any space under my cover. Did you put it in without the rack in the car or does it cover the access hole to the tank lines or just to the left of that access hole in the first photo?

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Krieger
You could put it up about 1' from where it is located in your first pic. In that indentation. Some 911s had them on the front aluminum suspension crossmember. Some people go as far as getting a later access panel cover (75-76) and cutting a hole in that indentation so the pump sits just above/infront of where brake resevoir hoses go through body to the master cylinder.
gothspeed
QUOTE(Krieger @ Oct 5 2011, 04:26 PM) *

You could put it up about 1' from where it is located in your first pic. In that indentation. Some 911s had them on the front aluminum suspension crossmember. Some people go as far as getting a later access panel cover (75-76) and cutting a hole in that indentation so the pump sits just above/infront of where brake resevoir hoses go through body to the master cylinder.

^^ +1 ...... I was thinking the same thing. I am going through this fuel pump location issue myself. There is already a hole where the windsheild washer airline went through that is big enough for both to and from lines (just needs a grommet). It makes a lot of sense to put it in that location, as if it ever goes bad and one is short on tools, one can install a replacement with only a screwdriver for the hose clamps. Downside; associated fuel smell if/when any fuel spills.

The other location I am contemplating is on the lower steering cover panel itself. I was thinking of using longer lines and attach it with some rubber mounts. So it comes down when I remove the panel. Downside; would be a bit more work to replace it, should or when it goes bad.
kconway
This is where mine ended up. I drilled the two holes for my fuel line and grommeted them and the larger hole for the wire. Used clamps to secure to the inner fender well.

Kev

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
gothspeed
Looks good! I like how you used the line between the filter and the pump to make that 180° turn. So both to/from lines will be a straight shot.

Thanks for the follow up pics, it looks good! beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.