914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(396 @ Oct 18 2011, 10:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Oct 18 2011, 07:39 PM) *

I wanted a quote for the car - as I would like a home for my 993 vram

As in... you wanted to stick your 993 motor in that car? biggrin.gif

ya biggrin.gif

Well... that's the Targa practice GT and ex-Brumos car. Pretty sure you'd have to be shot for such an offense, lol3.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Oct 18 2011, 10:14 AM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Oct 18 2011, 09:15 AM) *

My God Pete... that thing looks like Candy! wub.gif

A lot of sorting to do yet...but it sure was great to drive a 14 there and back.

pete

agree.gif Holy Moly! That turned out great Pete! You must be very proud...
sixnotfour
Chris glad to see you post here, I have been wanting to see your car for quite awhile. Very Nice

QUOTE(chfrank @ Oct 18 2011, 10:09 PM) *

QUOTE(914_teener @ Oct 18 2011, 07:25 PM) *

Click to view attachment
QUOTE(Live Event Uploader @ Oct 15 2011, 02:03 PM) *

This was a great event.

That orange 29 teener is a 1.7 dual carbed.

Whoever was driving drove the heck out of this car. It ran late Sunday in the Group seven race and held it's own until the 1.7 gave up it's life.

I wanted to talk with the guy but he left early after the car gave up...anybody know who that is?

There were also was a unbelievable crash up in the corkscrew late Sunday that I just missed getting on vidieo.

I missed most everyone in the biergarten....I went to the one in the Paddock but must have missed the group.

Chris Frank was driving the car. The race showing does not reflect the cars speed. The motor is a 40 over 1.7 liter, in need of fine tuning. There were some issues with a bad set of main bearing seals and cylinder clearances causing two rebuilds of the motor the week of the event. Then on Friday the transmission seal went. Only 8 few laps were completed in the car. The car should have been turing 1.45 laps but a bent the throttle pivot ended the day before the driver was able to get some clear track. According to Clark Anderson Elliott did the same thing with the 30 car in 1973. There are some handling and carb issues that are being addressed. Elliott was really great too, he spoke with the car owner for some time.
jaxdream
Post # 175 , Silver cars .

My ignorance , but what are these 2 " oddfellas" ????

Jack
BajaXJ92
QUOTE(Live Event Uploader @ Oct 18 2011, 12:33 AM) *

My new desktop background.

I'm not even a fan of red but wub.gif
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(jaxdream @ Oct 19 2011, 07:53 AM) *

Jack

Abarth's -- that's the front end I wish they would have given a style nod to with the Cayman. If they made the driving lights a little bigger it would have been a cool Abarth reflection.

http://www.google.com/search?q=abarth+Carr...680&bih=888
jaxdream
Thanks Eric . The fellas way back then had some ideas that they didn't seem to mind trying. I do like early cars more than moderns , simplistic ideas are great, no need for a "multi media entertainment center" in the car to enjoy it. Gone for a lot of folks are the days of driving for the sake of driving , instead of point A to B .

Jack
dlkawashima

This was a great event.

Whoever was driving drove the heck out of this car. It ran late Sunday in the Group seven race and held it's own until the 1.7 gave up it's life.

QUOTE(chfrank @ Oct 19 2011, 05:59 AM) *

The car in Group 7 was 59. That is the 3 liter penske shocked, 915 gearboxed super 6 from Brumos being driven by Hurley Haywood.

Both the 29 Chris Frank car and the 59 Hurley Haywood car ran in Group 2 on Saturday. Haywood had pole position and the 29 car was last on the grid, not because it was slowest but rather because it didn't have a qualifying time on Friday.

I don't recall how the 29 car fared but Haywood dropped out on the 4th lap (I think). Really a shame because his car was easily the fastest in the race and was pulling away from the field before it all went south.

Here's a shot of both cars in the race (Haywood's 59 car has already been pulled into the pits).
IPB Image

Michael N
Anyone know why Haywood dropped out of the race?
914_teener
QUOTE(chfrank @ Oct 19 2011, 06:01 AM) *

The car in Group 7 was 59. That is the 3 liter penske shocked, 915 gearboxed super 6 from Brumos being driven by Hurley Haywood.

Click to view attachment
QUOTE(Live Event Uploader @ Oct 15 2011, 02:03 PM) *

This was a great event.

I wanted to talk with the guy but he left early after the car gave up...anybody know who that is?

Checked out my pics which I'll try to post later.........the 29 car was in the Group two the 59 group 7 both teeners were in the front on in the pack during their groups. Both are great cars.
There were also was a unbelievable crash up in the corkscrew late Sunday that I just missed getting on vidieo.

I missed most everyone in the biergarten....I went to the one in the Paddock but must have missed the group.

Dave_Darling
QUOTE(jaxdream @ Oct 19 2011, 06:53 AM) *

That was a pic from the Quail that someone sent to the uploader.

Those are the two (and only!) 356B-based "dreikantschraeber" (three-cornered scraper) cars. They were prototypes for new bodies I think, and didn't have anything to do with the Abarths despite the superficial resemblance. They did a story in Pano about them a couple of years ago, and it was cool to see the both of them on the lawn. There were something like ten of the Abarths over on another part of the lawn, and you can see the difference if you look.

--DD
Live Event Uploader

horizontally-opposed
Just emailed that in from my phone so you can see it better.

The Dreikantschabers are very, very cool. And super cool to have them together for the first time in decades.

There were so many cool cars at this event. Here's a quick video that gives you at least some sense of how many were there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ3PTcEK9vc

pete
horizontally-opposed
Also have to say RRIV was surprising to me for another reason: I think it was the first major CA Porsche event I have ever been to where there were more 914s in the paddock than in the corral. Not sure what to take away from that...

pete
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 19 2011, 06:50 AM) *

A lot of sorting to do yet...but it sure was great to drive a 14 there and back.

pete

I am, but there is a lot of wind noise, trim fit, squeaks, etc. to work through to make it drive like it looks again. You (!) know how "one thing" goes. In my case, paint turned into much, much more.

Kinda taped it together for the weekend, and wheezed my way down and back. The "question liter" engine hasn't been out of the chassis since at least 1986, and it feels like it has no more than 50-60 hp.

Time for a small-bore six, methinks... happy11.gif

pete
harlenl
QUOTE(Live Event Uploader @ Oct 15 2011, 12:08 PM) *

Nice shot of my car.

Thanks

Harlen
ConeDodger
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Oct 19 2011, 03:26 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 19 2011, 06:50 AM) *

pete

I am, but there is a lot of wind noise, trim fit, squeaks, etc. to work through to make it drive like it looks again. You (!) know how "one thing" goes. In my case, paint turned into much, much more.

Kinda taped it together for the weekend, and wheezed my way down and back. The "question liter" engine hasn't been out of the chassis since at least 1986, and it feels like it has no more than 50-60 hp.

Time for a small-bore six, methinks... happy11.gif

pete

Well this is news! Something with some 'attitude' but with 'manners' to go with it I'm sure. I take it you met Eric Shea at the RR? Between him and Paul Sayegh's influence, I am sure there is a six in my car's future...
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Oct 19 2011, 07:44 AM) *

QUOTE(jaxdream @ Oct 19 2011, 07:53 AM) *

Jack

Abarth's -- that's the front end I wish they would have given a style nod to with the Cayman. If they made the driving lights a little bigger it would have been a cool Abarth reflection.

http://www.google.com/search?q=abarth+Carr...680&bih=888

Ya I figures it was 'the' car.. any one have one they want to part with?
Michael N
Check out this video drooley.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAZOw8d243w

The Patrick Long video of him in the 991 was filmed with this green Cayman R as the camera car.

Click to view attachment

Michael N
Does anyone have a race program that shows which racers were in each autograph session? I have a poster of from the event and not all autographs are legible.
harlenl
QUOTE(Michael N @ Oct 21 2011, 09:25 PM) *

Does anyone have a race program that shows which racers were in each autograph session? I have a poster of from the event and not all autographs are legible.

I believe you're just looking for the list of drivers at the autograph sessions and not an event program. If it's the former, I've already deleted the list, but will see if I can find it. If it's the latter you can order it online or call the souvenir store (800-327-7332).

Harlen
dlkawashima
Found this video of the overachieving 1.7L car running in the Saturday Group 2 race. Can't help but cheer as "29" passes car after car, including a 904. Jammed throttle linkage ended its day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvTHJQcKzqQ
914_teener
Thanks for posting that Dave!

I was there at the bridge when he pulled the move on the 904.

Great fun and memories.
harlenl
In case you missed this article.

http://blog.roadandtrack.com/porsche-renns...forgotten-914s/
1970 Neun vierzehn
never enough 914 pics
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.