Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anatomy of a paint job
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
rudedude
I wish I'd had you do my 911. I'd been glad to pay you so little for sch nice work!
Jule
scotty b
QUOTE(plas76targa @ Oct 27 2011, 03:59 AM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 23 2011, 03:53 PM) *

You need to show this to Plasket's wife wink.gif She would force him to get his car done, then.

lol-2.gif I thought the same thing when i first saw this last night. I told K she'll have to see this. update: i have a coil in route from Parts Heaven. Maybe the 911 will start this weekend. okay back to Scottie's thread. The 911 WILL be in your shop someday soon!

dry.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif
r_towle
with todays paint, do you still feel the need to wait between steps?

Given you had no timelag for money or getting paid...
And you had a heated booth....

Would it still take such a long time between coats to do it "right"?

Rich
scotty b
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 27 2011, 10:11 AM) *

Rich

Yes. I don't care how "modern" paint gets. It still needs time for the solvents to completely evaporate and setup to prevent soakback. Go to a local show and look really close at the paint jobs. I can gaurantee, you'll see several with scratches under the finish. Better yet, paint your car, wet sand and buff it nice and slick, let it sit for 3-4 weeks, THEN throw a car cover on it and leave it on there for a week +, then take it off and see what happens.

A heated booth only speeds up the initial flash and setup period. Paint continues to setup and out gas for weeks after the job has left. I tell people not to wax or cover a car for a MINIMUM of 6 weeks
r_towle
QUOTE(scotty b @ Oct 27 2011, 02:20 PM) *

Rich

I tell people not to wax or cover a car for a MINIMUM of 6 weeks

That would never be an issue with me...haha
Dr Evil
QUOTE(scotty b @ Oct 27 2011, 02:06 PM) *

QUOTE(plas76targa @ Oct 27 2011, 03:59 AM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 23 2011, 03:53 PM) *

You need to show this to Plasket's wife wink.gif She would force him to get his car done, then.

lol-2.gif I thought the same thing when i first saw this last night. I told K she'll have to see this. update: i have a coil in route from Parts Heaven. Maybe the 911 will start this weekend. okay back to Scottie's thread. The 911 WILL be in your shop someday soon!

dry.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

Katmanken
Purdy work Scotty!

I have only one question: With a rusty car like the 914, do you ever wake up at night and remember that after you put on the color coat, you forgot to fix a couple of rusty sections that were hidden under the primer?

That's exactly what I would do... biggrin.gif

Ken
Dr Evil
He doesnt forget anything. He takes his................time........and gets it all. Even the new stuff that forms while he is waiting poke.gif

I am joking, of course.
hwgunner
Great write up. Just wish I could do it to my car. I am having a hard enogh time getting it on the road, let alone painted. beer3.gif

jonathan
scotty b
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 27 2011, 05:02 PM) *

He doesnt forget anything. He takes his................time........and gets it all. Even the new stuff that forms while he is waiting poke.gif

I am joking, of course.

I'm putting you on ignore dry.gif
Dr Evil
Dont hate the player, Baby. Hate the game elvira.gif

grouphug.gif Dont fight your feelings.
smontanaro
Scotty,

A follow-up question regarding galvanized bodies such as the 930... Does the sanding/media blasting damage the galvanizing? What precautions do you have to take to keep it intact?

Thx,

Skip
dgw
I was wondering the same thing about galvanized bodies as I was looking through this thread.

I enjoyed the thread as I have a 77 930 that needs a paint job. Some PO seriously farked the paint. I'm not sending it across country though, it sounds like Scotty has plenty of business. Plus I may not even paint it, the paint is so bad I don't mind parking it places I would never consider parking other Porsche's.

Thanks Scotty for taking the time to photograph the project and post the pictures.
scotty b
QUOTE(smontanaro @ Jan 24 2012, 03:10 PM) *

Scotty,

A follow-up question regarding galvanized bodies such as the 930... Does the sanding/media blasting damage the galvanizing? What precautions do you have to take to keep it intact?

Thx,

Skip

I never blasted galvanized bodies. I can tell you the sanding process does remove a lot of the surface galvanizing, but not all, as it seems that the galvanizing process embeds in the metal to some extent. I do however use a etching primer on the bare metal which IMHO is almost as good as galvanizing. I have a Jeep hood I stripped about 8 years ago and have nothing on it but etch primer. It has lived outdoors uncoverd for all this time in the mid-atlantic weather and has not started surface rusting anywhere except where it has been scratched.
BajaXJ92
QUOTE(BajaXJ92 @ Oct 23 2011, 09:53 PM) *

Roland, being the super nice guy that he is, is getting a very nice car. smile.gif

These pics do absolutely no justice for anybody who hasn't been lucky enough to see this car, as well as Scott's work in person.

In regards to Scott's "labor rate", your estimate is FAR off. While his time may or may not have net him a lower rate, I merely attribute that to the fact that his background is filled with doing higher end work, and the absolute fact that he has NO idea how to do a half-ass job. Clearly he aims higher than customers expectations. beerchug.gif

I'm quoting myself, as some of you may never be lucky enough to have Scott do work on your vehicles and realize that he really does go above and beyond any expectations you may have. I mean, he's not gonna cook you dinner, take you on windy walks or buy you flowers, but I can promise you that as soon as your car enters his shop, he's going to treat it like he owns it. beerchug.gif

His passion for cars is beyond ridiculous, almost scary at times, but that reflects in every detail of his work. first.gif
rick 918-S
Am car guys and specially hot rodders around here place little value on the endless hours it takes to bring a car to this level at the shop. When these guys build most of the car they think they are as good as the career tech. They want to be your buddy and not your customer. I cringed when I would hear a hot rodder say..."Hey while your at it"... dry.gif Actually one of the reasons I drifted away from building muscle cars and street rods 20 years ago and started playing with BMW's.

There is no substitute for attension to detail. Either you have what it takes and see and feel the imperfections or you don't. Nice dedication to your craft Scotty.
scotty b
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 25 2012, 06:45 AM) *

Am car guys and specially hot rodders around here place little value on the endless hours it takes to bring a car to this level at the shop. When these guys build most of the car they think they are as good as the career tech. They want to be your buddy and not your customer. I cringed when I would hear a hot rodder say..."Hey while your at it"... dry.gif Actually one of the reasons I drifted away from building muscle cars and street rods 20 years ago and started playing with BMW's.

There is no substitute for attension to detail. Either you have what it takes and see and feel the imperfections or you don't. Nice dedication to your craft Scotty.

Thanks Rick, that means alot coming from you biggrin.gif As far as the hot rod guys go, I think it's all about the individual. I have some rod guys I have been dealing with lately and they all seem to get it. Now these are guys that have been into rods and customs their whole life and lknow what ut takes. My experience has been the " new gen " of rodders don't. They are the ones that got into the hobby since the creation of Am Rodder, Am chopper, Overhaulin etc biggrin.gif . and really have no clue what it really takes. I call them the " one color and shiney " crowd.
bulitt
QUOTE(scotty b @ Oct 27 2011, 01:20 PM) *

Rich

Yes. I don't care how "modern" paint gets. It still needs time for the solvents to completely evaporate and setup to prevent soakback. Go to a local show and look really close at the paint jobs. I can gaurantee, you'll see several with scratches under the finish. Better yet, paint your car, wet sand and buff it nice and slick, let it sit for 3-4 weeks, THEN throw a car cover on it and leave it on there for a week +, then take it off and see what happens.

A heated booth only speeds up the initial flash and setup period. Paint continues to setup and out gas for weeks after the job has left. I tell people not to wax or cover a car for a MINIMUM of 6 weeks

Scotty- Thanks for the advice on the Deltron, Its good stuff. Sprayed my primer a month ago and have been watching little holes and ridges appear just like you stated.
This paint is not cheap, one qt. of primer plus cat cost 112$ Paint and supplies will easily be 600$ before I am done. This just for flares.
gothspeed
Great thread, great info and great pics!!! beerchug.gif
Elliot Cannon
Fantastic work. I think if I had spent 12K I'd be afraid to drive the car anywhere for fear of a scratch, dent or worse. I'd be wringing my hands after leaving it in a crowded parking lot. sad.gif This car is obviously not a daily driver (or is it). Is this to be a show car or maybe just a weekender? Scotty, how difficult is it to repair a paint job like this one that has been dented, scratched etc. welder.gif smash.gif It's good to see there are still craftsmen around.
Cheers, Elliot
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 25 2012, 09:02 AM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 25 2012, 06:45 AM) *

Thanks Rick, that means alot coming from you biggrin.gif As far as the hot rod guys go, I think it's all about the individual. I have some rod guys I have been dealing with lately and they all seem to get it. Now these are guys that have been into rods and customs their whole life and lknow what ut takes. My experience has been the " new gen " of rodders don't. They are the ones that got into the hobby since the creation of Am Rodder, Am chopper, Overhaulin etc biggrin.gif . and really have no clue what it really takes. I call them the " one color and shiney " crowd.

agree.gif Bodywork on cars is a real art. I can do it, but I am very slow, and I don't have that artistic touch that really good paint and body professionals have. The attention to detail by the artiste is something to be admired. From what I have seen of Scotty's work, I would not hesitate to take my car to him.

Elliot... I paid 12K for the paint and body on my 914, and I drive it anywhere. If you don't drive it, it's not a car, it is some very expensive art that you keep in the garage.

porsche_dreamer
Hey Scotty, just out of curiosity have you used any of ppg's waterborne stuff yet? I have been using sherwin williams for a little while now, and was just wanting to know what you thought of it if so.?
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(BajaXJ92 @ Jan 25 2012, 05:54 AM) *
... but I can promise you that as soon as your car enters his shop, he's going to treat it like he owns it.

I can promise you that you would never want me to treat your car as if I owned it! av-943.gif

...I'll never be able to do what Scotty does. Especially in the Sandbox.

--DD
scotty b
QUOTE(porsche_dreamer @ Jan 25 2012, 11:20 AM) *

Hey Scotty, just out of curiosity have you used any of ppg's waterborne stuff yet? I have been using sherwin williams for a little while now, and was just wanting to know what you thought of it if so.?

NO I haven't I have only used waterborne once. I am avoiding it until I HAVE to use it. FWIW from what I am hearing PPG's is one of the better ones out there. The people I know that have used it have been very happy with it and say the color match is dead on. DuPont still has yet to get theirs right dry.gif but DuPont is a whole other mess of a story right now popcorn[1].gif
scotty b
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jan 25 2012, 09:50 AM) *

Fantastic work. I think if I had spent 12K I'd be afraid to drive the car anywhere for fear of a scratch, dent or worse. I'd be wringing my hands after leaving it in a crowded parking lot. sad.gif This car is obviously not a daily driver (or is it). Is this to be a show car or maybe just a weekender? Scotty, how difficult is it to repair a paint job like this one that has been dented, scratched etc. welder.gif smash.gif It's good to see there are still craftsmen around.
Cheers, Elliot

The good thing about the guys I use is when they mix paint for me they save the formula. That way if I ever need to repair that same car, they can mix up new paint exctly the same as long as the pigments haven't changed which does happen. As for the actual repair it wouldn't be any different thana normal collision repair except for the level of fit and finish involved.

...I'll never be able to do what Scotty does. Especially in the Sandbox.

unsure.gif unsure.gif blink.gif blink.gif unsure.gif unsure.gif unsure.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.