Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anatomy of a paint job
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
scotty b
Over the yhears there has been alot of threads about how much to expect for pint jobs. I have always chimed in that it all depends on what you want in to end. Since starting my own shop, this 930 was the first over restored- " rust free " job I have done. The other nicer jobs all had a fair amount of rust repair, custom work, or are still not finished. I thought this would be a good opportunuiy to show what your money gets. While I say this car was rust free, you weill se some pics where I had some small patch work to do. These pics also illustrate a rust area on 911's that most of the time can't be seen without removing the fenders.

This car came to me as a 3 owner car, that has spent most of its life garaged. The current owner stripped 95% of the paint himself, pulled all of the glass out, and removed the bumpers, the rest was up to me.
scotty b
The first job was to remove the remaning panels, diagnose any rust or damged areas and d/a/ the whole car to good clean metal. Int he first pic you can see where I have sanded vs. the strip job the owner had done. the rusty spots are where the fenders meet up to the cowel. This is a problem area due to the rain water being channeld directly to that spot, and after a few years the factory seam seler cracks open on the top side. On the insides of the fenders, there is a VERY heavy layer of undercoating that typically does NOT break loose. Thus preventing the trapped water from escaping
URY914
What year?
scotty b
Once the whole car has been sanded down, and rust spots sand blasted clean it gets a coat of etch primer and a coat of sealer. I do this BEFORE fixing the two rusty spots for a couple of reasons. I want the metal coated before it has time to flash rust, and these spots are small enough that the repairs won;t affect the rest of the car
swood
I'm going to like this thread piratenanner.gif

popcorn[1].gif
scotty b
Everthing gets guide coated and blocked. Imperfections get bumped and mudded, areas that get broken through to bare metal get re-etched and sealed. then the whole car gets a couple coats of high build primer, followed by another guide coat for the next blocking operation
scotty b
Now that the car has a couple good coats of primer I went back and repaired the rust spots at the fnders, and fixed the cracks in the bottoms of the fenders
scotty b
After giving things a couple weeks to get nice and setup, I then went back and hard blocked the car for the second time, this time with a finer grit. It is at this point that hte " OVER-restoring " begins. There are spots on all cars that from the factory are less than perfect. On 911's the top edge of the hood has a significant dip that I smoothed out, the back of the rear 1/4 windows has a dip, and all four corners of the roof where it is joined are ripply. In addition, the radius from the flares to the fender bodies are not quite perfect so they get a little work too. FYI On the early 930's like this one, the flares are welded on, not stamped as part of the fender.
Dr Evil
Thats not a 914 confused24.gif Maybe you should do a thread on a 914? poke.gif
scotty b
Next comes ANOTHER coat of primer and guide coat. All these subsequent coats of primer are more to fill in scratches from the sanding and to isolate the filler spots. IOn nicer jobs like this I let the car sit for a minimun of 4 weeks after each coat of primer to let it fully cure. The actual build thickness is not that great in the end because the majority of the primer ends up getting sanded off up to this point
scotty b
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 23 2011, 02:24 PM) *

Thats not a 914 confused24.gif Maybe you should do a thread on a 914? poke.gif

b-low me dry.gif
scotty b
Prior to starting the wetsanding, I flip over the doors, hood and engine lidprep and tape them off, and shoot the color and clear. They will then sit for several weeks while both the primer on the outside, and the color on the inside setup. In the mantime, I sanded the insides and reblacked them. My camera was f-ed so I dodn;t get pics of the blacking.
scotty b
whuile all that stuff sits, the lower trim panels all get prepped and coated with factory looking rock guard, then immediately get primed and painted out.
scotty b
then after a whole lot of wet sanding we get to this point smile.gif
MDG
Excellent!
Dr Evil
You need to show this to Plasket's wife wink.gif She would force him to get his car done, then.
scotty b
After thjis I blacked out ALL of the trim and door handles, and window frames. those pics are trapped on my camera that finally took a dump last week dry.gif I'm going to see if I can get them off onelast time. My card is literally glued into the camera from when some laquer thinner splashed on it. IT will onyl power up for a minnute or two now, so I may have enough time to get them off.

In the meantime I borrowed my parents camera to get the last of the pics this week.

And finally after a little wet sand and buffing job
watsonrx13
Scotty thanks for showing us the complete process. How long did it take from the time you received the stipped car until the last photo?

--- Rob
scotty b
So long story short, time and materials, this is what 12,000.00 will get you. I don;t have my time log right here, but the materials were around 2000.00. the rest is actual labor to get to this point.

Keep in mind this is near top of the line paint job. It could have been done even further, but at this point it is more than the owner wanted. I have done some work on a 356 speedster he has, and he told me he didn't want the 930 as nice as the 356 which IMO is about a 100% perfect. I'd say his 930 is about 90% there. smile.gif
MDG
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Money shot. Freakin' amazing!

Show off.

Click to view attachment
scotty b
QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ Oct 23 2011, 03:01 PM) *

Scotty thanks for showing us the complete process. How long did it take from the time you received the stipped car until the last photo?

--- Rob

I've had the car for about a year, but like I said a LOT of that time it sat and dried. Actual hours, I have close to 200 in it IIRC.

I've pretty much killed the battery in my laptop with this post blink.gif so I probably won't be answering any questions tonight unsure.gif I'll check back in tomorrow morning beerchug.gif
TJB/914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Oct 23 2011, 07:05 PM) *

--- Rob

I've had the car for about a year, but like I said a LOT of that time it sat and dried. Actual hours, I have close to 200 in it IIRC.

I've pretty much killed the battery in my laptop with this post blink.gif so I probably won't be answering any questions tonight unsure.gif I'll check back in tomorrow morning beerchug.gif

Scotty,

Beautiful workmanship, Wow I am impressed. pray.gif If I did the math correctly your hourly rate is $50.00 per hr. You earn your paycheck and your worth more than a Porsche technician makeing $100.00 per hr.

Tom
uncle smokey
Scotty, you do some fantastic work.
rick 918-S
Nice write up. Nice work!
Randal
Absolutely beautiful. So nice and so much work.

What I don't get is how you can color sand all those inside parts and never go through the clear.
mepstein
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Oct 23 2011, 08:33 PM) *

QUOTE(scotty b @ Oct 23 2011, 07:05 PM) *

--- Rob

Scotty,

Beautiful workmanship, Wow I am impressed. pray.gif If I did the math correctly your hourly rate is $50.00 per hr. You earn your paycheck and your worth more than a Porsche technician makeing $100.00 per hr.

Tom

He needs to charge more.
BajaXJ92
Roland, being the super nice guy that he is, is getting a very nice car. smile.gif

These pics do absolutely no justice for anybody who hasn't been lucky enough to see this car, as well as Scott's work in person.

In regards to Scott's "labor rate", your estimate is FAR off. While his time may or may not have net him a lower rate, I merely attribute that to the fact that his background is filled with doing higher end work, and the absolute fact that he has NO idea how to do a half-ass job. Clearly he aims higher than customers expectations. beerchug.gif
tdgray
Excellent write up Scotty... this should be required reading for all of the weekend warrior DIY guys that think you can just strip a car and send it off to the body shop for $2000 and get a show quality paint job.

Great job... very reasonable rate indeed first.gif
FourBlades

Thanks for sharing this. Your threads are some of the most educational on here
and help to make this place so useful. Your work is greatly appreciated.

John
Chris H.
Incredible job Scotty. With all the work you put in $12k sounds like a steal. Never seen silver shine like that in a photo.
scotty b
Thanks for all the complements guys.

Todd that is exactly why I made this thread. I see all to regularly on this board and others, how people expect so much for so little. The Am. car guys seem to be the worst about that.
Shows like Overhaulin are intertaining, but give the average guy the wrong idea about building a proper car. I know 2 people that have been on those builds, and what you don't see is that there is an average of 60-70 people working all day and all night on that car to get it done in 7 days. One of the guys I know, said he alone put in over 100 hours that week blink.gif
In my years of doing this work I have come to realize the only people that understand what it takes to get a car to this point are the guys that do it for a living, and the DIY'ers that have actually tried it for themself. I have had more than one car come in where the owner just got disgusted with their own work, or realized they got in over their head. That to me is the best kind of customer, because they tried to do it and realize what it takes.
smontanaro
Scotty, great thread. (Someone please add it to the classic forum.)

I have a question. You indicated that much of the time during restoration the car is actually sitting while the paint dries. That obviously isn't how it happens at the factory. When you buy a new car is the paint still drying or is the paint formulation different so it dries faster? Or do you not bake the paint?

Skip
boogie_man
Boy ain't that the truth. I'm in the bodyshop business and hear it all the time
from the normal fender benders to "how much to repaint my 69 Chevy"??

ScottB...(my name too lol) you did it the absolute right way no question as that
is at least the going rate at 12k...at least !!! And to the haters...I'm glad he
showed his work even though it wasn't one of your own....thought the 911 owners
were snobs (I have one of those too) can't we all just get along?? Let's see some
more of that awesome work dude smilie_pokal.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(smontanaro @ Oct 24 2011, 03:54 PM) *

Scotty, great thread. (Someone please add it to the classic forum.)

I have a question. You indicated that much of the time during restoration the car is actually sitting while the paint dries. That obviously isn't how it happens at the factory. When you buy a new car is the paint still drying or is the paint formulation different so it dries faster? Or do you not bake the paint?

Skip

The reason I let it sit and the factory didn't is mainly due to the soak back. As the bondo, and more importantly the primers dry, they shrink. As they shrink they will settle into the sand scratches in the previous layer more and more. If you look at a restoration job that was done in a short amount of time ( 2-3 months) it may look great the day it leaves the shop, but 6 months down the road, you will start to see san scratches showing up. IF the car was done well, but quickly, the scratches will not be that noticable during a normal veiwing, but under closer inspection you will see them.

This particular silver has almost no pigment, which makes it very sensitive to scratches in the body work or primers. Normaly silvers have pigment added so they cover better, but the Porsche silver is almost all flake which also makes it a bitch to lay out right dry.gif
mepstein
I think I remember Gint's 914-6 restoration thread that after the painted shell sat for some time, he took it back to the shop and they refinished some spots that shrunk. Not new paint but maybe some polishing?

I just read that the ovens are used to speed along the drying process. Not actually make the paint harder than normal drying (like I previously thought). Painting at a production level is done as fast as possible.

I can't wait to see what Scott does with my car.
Dr Evil
I can not wait to see my car when it is finished. It will be well worth the wait thumb3d.gif Its already better than its predecessor.
zymurgist
Beautiful job. I saw it in person at Scotty's party and it really is as nice as it looks.
TargaToy
Can you show some shots sometime of how you re-did the seam sealer on the removed fenders once reinstalled (and any other parts of the body) and how you treated the insides of the fenders?
montoya 73 2.0
Scotty had asked me why I would ship my car all the way over there. After reading earlier threads of his and seeing this latest, also hearing members opinions on his work, why not? Great work sir! Paint and bodywork is a art.
IronHillRestorations
Very good work indeed! I'd love to see one of those "we restored this car in a week" jobs a year later, cause it won't look anything like this!!
sean_v8_914
a new car does not have the 30 years of punishment that Scotty has worked out of this one. perfect, straight, clean, new metal does not require all the steps in between required to turn back the hands of time

did that include reassembly?
mikea100
Scotty, thanks for sharing your work, it is state of the art. Can you please post what materials you use, like brand and type of primers, sealers, sand paper grit etc.
scotty b
QUOTE(mikea100 @ Oct 26 2011, 03:31 AM) *

Scotty, thanks for sharing your work, it is state of the art. Can you please post what materials you use, like brand and type of primers, sealers, sand paper grit etc.

Paint is all PPG Deltron on this car and 2002 clear. I used to use Spies Hecker but due to a change of hands with the local distributor the managers left and I followed them. FWIW that shop is on the verge of shutting down, the managers took 90% of the customers with them. Sometimes the people ARE the most important part of a business smile.gif My loyalty was with my friends more than the paint. PPG has been just as good a product, color match is just as good, there is just a learning curve when switching brands.

Sandpaper is whatever I can get the best deal on up to 180 grit. Usually either 3M or Klingspor. Everything from 320 up to 2000 grit is all 3M

Buffing compounds are a dime a dozen, I use 3M because I get good resuilts from it, it is reasonably priced, and damn near every supplier keeps it in stock.
andys
+ to everything scottyb said.

Some of you know that I prepped and painted my 914, and I can tell you I won't do another. Tons of work along with the risk of not getting something quite right, which is the same as saying it's best left to the professional. There's value in that $12K that may not be immediately obvious at first glance, but believe me it's there.

BTW, nice job on the 930!

Andys
horizontally-opposed
Very, very impressed. And, having just gone through this, $12k sounds like good value to me. Very good value.

pete
flipb
It's pretty amazing to scroll through this thread and see the Before & After photos. I can only imagine what it's like to drive a 914 that looks and feels brand new.

Still, the cost of that paint job is about the total amount I have into my 914 in 2+ years of ownership (purchase price plus a lot of stuff that needed fixing). Totally understand why it costs what it does, and see the value... but I would need my money tree to start bearing lots of fruit before I could take that plunge. Maybe someday...
mepstein
I'm pretty sure Scott can do paint for less than 12K and still make it look great. As you get close to perfect, the costs go up quickly.

Rav914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Oct 24 2011, 04:45 PM) *

......and the DIY'ers that have actually tried it for themself. I have had more than one car come in where the owner just got disgusted with their own work, or realized they got in over their head. That to me is the best kind of customer, because they tried to do it and realize what it takes.

And that would be me. I spent more than a few months painting my car. It was my first and most likely my only attempt. Many many hours and I'm a little disgusted. The mistakes make me wince but at least I don't have to worry about dings or rock chips. When I get the scratch together and just can't stand it any more, a $12K+ check will be easy money to spend. Nice work Scotty, I'm only a little jealous.

It may look good in this picture but it's no where even close to that turbo.
scotty b
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 26 2011, 12:48 PM) *

I'm pretty sure Scott can do paint for less than 12K and still make it look great. As you get close to perfect, the costs go up quickly.

agree.gif Absolutely. That is why I made certian to state that this car was very much over-restored. The 914 in this post had hell hole repair, previous damage repair on the left 1/4 and basic bodywork for somewhere around 8000.00. Obviously it is no where near the level of the 930, and the paint was the cheapest single stage I will willingly put on a car and stand behind for some amount of time ( there is cheaper but I won't touch it dry.gif )
plas76targa
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 23 2011, 03:53 PM) *

You need to show this to Plasket's wife wink.gif She would force him to get his car done, then.

lol-2.gif I thought the same thing when i first saw this last night. I told K she'll have to see this. update: i have a coil in route from Parts Heaven. Maybe the 911 will start this weekend. okay back to Scottie's thread. The 911 WILL be in your shop someday soon!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.