Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing rear window
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Howie's 914
I need some help. After about 6 years I am finally getting to installing the rear window. Only thing is I didn't write down or take and pictures of it. Any help would be great.

Thanks
Howie
mark21742
$24 for a tube of it, but I'll recomend using urethane instead of vital tape
eric9144
There's a thread on the rear window install by Eric Shea...give me a sec and I'll dig up a link to it.
Chris Pincetich
I just did this w guidance from McMark while my 914 was in his shop. It was pretty easy with most all of the interior, including seatbelts, removed. Starting at the top middle, press on the 1/4" butyl tape onto clean metal all around the frame, then put your clean window back on and press to seal from the inside. I loved having it off so I could clean off the rest of the 20 years of cigarette smoking residue from the previous owner. Now, it does not leak!

Good luck beerchug.gif
Drums66
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Oct 26 2011, 12:54 PM) *

I just did this w guidance from McMark while my 914 was in his shop. It was pretty easy with most all of the interior, including seatbelts, removed. Starting at the top middle, press on the 1/4" butyl tape onto clean metal all around the frame, then put your clean window back on and press to seal from the inside. I loved having it off so I could clean off the rest of the 20 years of cigarette smoking residue from the previous owner. Now, it does not leak!

Good luck beerchug.gif

I 2nd this way! flag.gif and it was'nt cigar smoke LOL smoke.gif
tod914
You can get the butyl tape with a foam core. You won't have to worry about it melting on a hot summer day.
76-914
agree.gif Me 3. Some have said to join the tape in some mystical location in case it leaks. lol-2.gif Just do it right, Clean, clean, clean. You can increase the sealing area i.e. a better seal at the joint, if you cut both ends of the tape at a 45' angle. Also, butyl tape is very stiff when cold. Warm is your friend. Press it as much as you've got the cojones for. Remember the little support bracket at the bottom.
bperry
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Oct 26 2011, 02:52 PM) *

Also in the Technical articles section:
Rear Window Install

--- bill
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.