Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Making top of door window match targa rubber
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
Maybe I can post a photo to explain this better, but the side glass doesn't go high enough to seal to the rubber. I have new seals rom 914 Rubber, but the glass doesn't go high enough to fit right. I know I can adjust the window to raise higher, but then it will go above the rubber stop on top of the crome guide that holds in the wing glass. The chrome trip is held in place by a bolt in the base of the door and another inside the door. It doesn't adjust up and down. Tell me where I have this adjustment out of wack. Could it be that the rubber seal needs to be thicker. Should I have a filler between the seal and the targa top?
VaccaRabite
one of 4 things has happened.
1: the window is not properly aligned in the door.
2: the door is not properly aligned in the car.
3: you have a late roof and an early car, or an early car and a late roof
4: chassis twist (not likely with yours I think.)

Zach
7TPorsh
I have this same problem...early car....hmmm headbang.gif
ellisor3
I had the same issue. Mine was short about 1/4 inch. Had to raise the window. I also had the targa seals reversed at first.
Mikey914
The seals were replicated from the late OEM as they had the outer fin. Mine are actually slightly larger. Post some picturs so we can see what your up against here.
-Mark
jim912928
Adjustment advice would be much appreciated....mine doesn't like up well into the rubber top seals.
Mikey914
Most of the adjustment is in the door. Mostly a function of the screw / nut on the bottom.
There is some adjustment on the track itself as it is slotted. You will need to remove the rubber to get at it.
Seaside6
I have the same issue with newly installed 914rubber.

Pictures of the adjustments/adjusters would help.
ThinAir
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Most of the time that's just a joke to raz someone, but in this case it's for real. Gotta have pictures for this one.
914itis
This is exactly the issue that I was dealing with last weekend. I was told that it was a non-matching year targa top. I had one late top, replaced it and I have the same issue. I noticed that the seal was somehow leaning towards the interior of the car<, if I have someone sit inside with the door close and push it out it looks ok. I had the same idea of raise the seal holder with something, I have not figured that out yet. here is a pic

Click to view attachment
ellisor3
If it is leaning towards the interior, the seals are on the wrong side. Swap them. It doesn't look like they will still match, but you should then be able to adjust the window up some more using the adjustment screw in the door.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Seaside6 @ Oct 27 2011, 11:00 PM) *

I had s similar issue while putting my new seals on the new WAS top. Check the tracks... they are curved, and if you have them on the wrong side they will not fit right. I also used 3M double stick tape rather than screw them in. And put the tracks out just a little bit so on my 75jack car I now have a perfect fit. I'm going to do the same with my other tops, which have issues, as they are earlier tops so fit has not been good on those. Also these seals are much better with the flap, a little softer too making a better seal. I took a drive last night and no wind noise! Thanks 914rnubber.
Phil
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Seaside6 @ Oct 27 2011, 11:00 PM) *

Here is a picture of my was top seal drivers side.
jim_hoyland
Phil,
What width 3M double sided tape are you using and where are you buying it
I like the idea of not using screws to hold the track in place.
r_towle
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Oct 27 2011, 06:34 PM) *

Maybe I can post a photo to explain this better, but the side glass doesn't go high enough to seal to the rubber. I have new seals rom 914 Rubber, but the glass doesn't go high enough to fit right. I know I can adjust the window to raise higher, but then it will go above the rubber stop on top of the crome guide that holds in the wing glass. The chrome trip is held in place by a bolt in the base of the door and another inside the door. It doesn't adjust up and down. Tell me where I have this adjustment out of wack. Could it be that the rubber seal needs to be thicker. Should I have a filler between the seal and the targa top?

Hi,
Post a few pictures of your door....specifically look at it near the front and rear.
Think about how raising the door would affect your alignment...

If you raise the door, it feels better when closing....it almost falls closed.
You need to remove the window channel, or tip it way out to raise up the door properly...but we are talking about 1/4 of an inch...which you can adjust out of the window guide.

Its a really funky geometry...356 and 914 have this same condition...and I suspect 911 does also...

Rich
andys
Early car, late top, etc. What years are different?

Andys
914itis
IIRC it was changed in 73, so 70 -72 are the same and 73-75 are same. I am not sure what other difference the targa top would make, As Sr Andy mentioned on one of my thread, if you use a different year you will leak.

After reading that, i went and tried my friuend's 75 on my 74 and it was the same thing, No difference as far as the issue that we are having.

here is the thread for the year differences

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=73129

andys
QUOTE(ppetion @ Oct 28 2011, 09:18 AM) *

IIRC it was changed in 73, so 70 -72 are the same and 73-75 are same. I am not sure what other difference the targa top would make, As Sr Andy mentioned on one of my thread, if you use a different year you will leak.

After reading that, i went and tried my friuend's 75 on my 74 and it was the same thing, No difference as far as the issue that we are having.

here is the thread for the year differences

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=73129

Thanks for the link!

Wow, I was completely un-aware there was a difference. A friend had a sanded top he gave me so I wouldn't have to sand mine. I prepped it and painted it. I'll have to check them out tonight....finger crossed unsure.gif

Andys
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 28 2011, 10:00 AM) *

Phil,

Advanced auto.
Chris Pincetich
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Oct 28 2011, 06:41 AM) *

Also these seals are much better with the flap,
Phil

What is this flap that you speak of?
My side seals are rock hard and there is a 1/8" gap I want to close now that my interior rustoration is near complete. I got the 914rubber rear targa seal, maybe getting new side seals is an upgrade?
Thanks in advance to anyone who posts good pictures of adjustment zones beerchug.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Oct 28 2011, 04:18 PM) *

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Oct 28 2011, 06:41 AM) *

Also these seals are much better with the flap,
Phil

What is this flap that you speak of?
My side seals are rock hard and there is a 1/8" gap I want to close now that my interior rustoration is near complete. I got the 914rubber rear targa seal, maybe getting new side seals is an upgrade?
Thanks in advance to anyone who posts good pictures of adjustment zones beerchug.gif

The 914 rubber window seals are softer and give some so the outside flap can conform to the window better than the o.e.m. ones.

jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Oct 28 2011, 10:02 AM) *

Phil,

Advanced auto.

What width are you using ?
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 28 2011, 05:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Oct 28 2011, 10:02 AM) *

Phil,

Advanced auto.

What width are you using ?

Im not sure. O used 2. A narrow one in the gap on the back of the rail and one over that is same width as the rail. Next time o might use a slightly more narrow one., as this one shod just a little. But it holds good.
PanelBilly
The problem is with the creamsickle and now its out of my hands! The dorrs are aligned so nicely to the body and they close perfect ( well for a 914).
914itis
Now I have all my windows to align correctly, I will start a new thread.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.