Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: UK 914 needed for TV appearance
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
johannes
QUOTE(914KEV @ Apr 18 2012, 02:15 PM) *

QUOTE(johannes @ Apr 18 2012, 10:24 PM) *

That was a great episode and Kev, your yellow 914 looks fantastic.

Yellow !!!

shades.gif

The true color of my 914 is Ravenna Green !

I have to check my screen ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGGGixPDmeE
rjames
Fun episode! My wife even wanted to watch it. biggrin.gif

Thanks for posting the link! beer.gif
timothy_nd28
The short fat british version on James is a straight-up douche. Dicked the poor guy buying it and again selling it back to him. As for the car, it was in great condition from the start! I guess they needed to make a big fuss for the show but simply requiring a t-stat and a buffing isn't quite what I would consider a "terminal car".

Neat show though
DEC
Thanks for sharing
Rod
It was a great little show and painted the 914 in a really good light smile.gif If Top gear (esp Clarkson) got hold of a 914, they would slate it as the Devils work, so I'm glad these boys got their hands on it, not The TG boys..

It was a bit more than a thermostat and a Polish to be fair, the interior was done, interior rear pad fixed too, had gaffer tape all over the interior light etc. But I thought it was a shame they didn't put front and rear valences back on it - look a bit crappy without them imo.

Nutty 914 owner though buying it back!!! driving-girl.gif Although if it were given to a resto company over here it would have cost more than the extra he paid to do the work they did.. So he's got a now useable 914 for £4250
johannes
QUOTE(Rod @ Apr 19 2012, 04:01 AM) *

It was a great little show and painted the 914 in a really good light smile.gif If Top gear (esp Clarkson) got hold of a 914, they would slate it as the Devils work, so I'm glad these boys got their hands on it, not The TG boys..

It was a bit more than a thermostat and a Polish to be fair, the interior was done, interior rear pad fixed too, had gaffer tape all over the interior light etc. But I thought it was a shame they didn't put front and rear valences back on it - look a bit crappy without them imo.

Nutty 914 owner though buying it back!!! driving-girl.gif Although if it were given to a resto company over here it would have cost more than the extra he paid to do the work they did.. So he's got a now useable 914 for £4250

agree.gif

At Wheeler Dealer they are always respectfull to the cars they show and restore... They know what they do because the show is for true car lovers.
Not a bad move for the ex-new owner who got the job done for little money... and nicely documented !...
smilie_pokal.gif
nathansnathan
Do people really call them "nine one four" ?

His diagnosis of the overheating problem is all wrong. The bellows failing in the open position would cause the engine not to heat up as quickly. His not understanding that concept, "fail in the open position", he gets what he calls a "vw part", the kind made in China, a thermostat guaranteed to ruin the engine when it fails in the closed position. And did he drill the arm out to an 8mm bolt there? It looks huge!

The giant hole in the engine tin cut around the oil pressure sender at 21:03, and I guess the lean condition would have more to do with it.
nathansnathan
Also, I think they're putting us on that they only spent 1500 pounds on the little they did even. You can see the front bumper pad has been replaced right before they add up the costs. Bumper pads would be like more than what they claim to have put into the interior and the engine combined for new ones.

Interesting watch anyway, and thanks for posting. smile.gif
siverson
> The giant hole in the engine tin cut around the oil pressure sender at 21:03, and I guess the lean condition would have more to do with it.

You're right, I didn't see that. Hmmm, I wonder what that was supposed to be for... ?

-Steve
johannes
QUOTE(siverson @ Apr 19 2012, 09:25 AM) *

I wonder what that was supposed to be for... ?

Oil line to external useless radiator ? confused24.gif
PancakePorsche
I really dig Wheeler Dealers. Nice to see a show more about "shade tree" mechanics verses the big no budget celebrity owned hermorphodites on other shows I am so dead tired of. The nine one four episode was excellent. Thanks for bringing these fine cars back in the spotlight.
struckn
Hears a crazy idea, we need to hook up with Ed the Farmer and get him to join 914World.com

Imagine!

Crackers good Idea I think.

idea.gif
arkitect
I just watched this show, pretty good, really enjoyed it. Nice that they show more of the details.

Most of the older mechanical type shows that I used to enjoy so much before would show us some of the detail on a build but now are more about the drama in the shop instead of the detail.

Dave
reharvey
Funny--the things you notice when watching this---after Edd reinstalls the engine and is sitting in the drives seat I noticed that the tach wasn't working! Also the pass. seat looks like it as already been recovered. The right side top engine tin has been cut away to fit around the over size oil pressure sender. And yes--the front bumper top is new but they don't mention that and where did they get those wheel center caps?
veltror
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Apr 19 2012, 03:07 PM) *

Indeed as is the Queens English we do...

poke.gif
914KEV
QUOTE(veltror @ Apr 22 2012, 11:57 PM) *

QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Apr 19 2012, 03:07 PM) *

Indeed as is the Queens English we do...

poke.gif

Over this side of the pond “914” is said in the following ways!

Nine One Four

Nine Fourteen

But never ..... Nine Hundred and Fourteen biggrin.gif
struckn
QUOTE(reharvey @ Apr 21 2012, 04:31 AM) *

Funny--the things you notice when watching this---after Edd reinstalls the engine and is sitting in the drives seat I noticed that the tach wasn't working! Also the pass. seat looks like it as already been recovered. The right side top engine tin has been cut away to fit around the over size oil pressure sender. And yes--the front bumper top is new but they don't mention that and where did they get those wheel center caps?

At the very end of the show Edd stated that he did alot more things then is shown in the segment but the other thing that speaks highly for the 9-1-4 is they said of all their restorations this was the one that made them the highest return in profit, ever.
In the very beginning they said they hoped they could find one the would bring them a return in cost as the prices for the 9-1-4's was starting to increase.

We should vote this teener for Car of the month concidering all the positive impact the program will have for all the 9-1-4's.

piratenanner.gif
reharvey
agree.gif YES--Just about everything they said about the car was positive!
dlee6204
YES--Just about everything they said about the car was positive!

Just about everything they said about ANY of their cars was positive! poke.gif The 914 is still the best though biggrin.gif
Steve
I found the video on another site in case any of you missed it. It was a great episode. They really seemed to love the car.

http://www.streetfire.net/video/wheeler-de...914_2383052.htm
rhodyguy
when they go thru the expense totals at the end of the show it's car and parts ONLY. if mike was paying ed or any mechanic (real world) for their time he would be in the hole more often than not.
914KEV
Mike Brewer gives the Porsche 914 the Thumbs Up. thumb3d.gif thumb3d.gif

IPB Image

All most 2 years to the date after my 914 was filmed as the pristine 914 featured at the start of the 'Wheeler Dealers Porsche 914 episode', I finally got to meet Mike Brewer and Edd China.

My 914 won the 'Porsche Club of Great Britain National Concours' back in July; because it won, the 914 won a place on the Meguiar’s Stand at the 'NEC Classic Car Show' in Birmingham, England for the Meguiar’s Concours Showcase Final 2013.

At the show there is a 'Wheeler Dealers live stage' where Mike Brewer interviews people involved with classic cars, Edd China does a Practical Challenge and they both appear to discuss a few of the episodes and display the end results over the three days of the show.

Mike Brewer also has the job of presenting the Meguiar’s Trophy to the Showcase Winner and present the sixteen competitors with a thank you presents for taking part.

Before the show opened to the public Mike Brewer and Edd China would come to look at the cars in the showcase.
One morning I was around when Mike visiting the stand and took the opportunity to chat about the 914 episode and have a photo taken with the 914.
I managed to catch up with Edd and Mike by the live stage after the show had closed and then got a quick chat with Edd.

They were both pleased to see the 914 which had featured at the start of their TV show.

Edd said “The Porsche 914 is a great car” clap56.gif

IPB Image
IPB Image
Mike Bellis
Very cool story and 914 history.

smilie_pokal.gif
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 2 2013, 11:09 AM) *

when they go thru the expense totals at the end of the show it's car and parts ONLY. if mike was paying ed or any mechanic (real world) for their time he would be in the hole more often than not.

I'm sure those little dodgy 914 bits can rack up a few bob biggrin.gif
Great win as well !
Marty
Dabidoh
Love responding to discussion threads that are years dead, but my .02 cents re. their profit margin on this 914 is that they spent quite a bit more on the resto than enumerated at the episode's end. Biggest expense must have been tires - there's NO WAY that they reinstalled age-cracked, flat spotted tires from ten years of sitting back onto this car, yet they don't appear under expenses.

I think that the chap who re-purchased it might've made out a bit better than we give him credit for. Also, Mike's one irritating guy. Edd China does literally all the work and Mike just goes around steam rolling people, yuck.
sb914
QUOTE(Dabidoh @ Oct 3 2019, 02:03 PM) *

Love responding to discussion threads that are years dead, but my .02 cents re. their profit margin on this 914 is that they spent quite a bit more on the resto than enumerated at the episode's end. Biggest expense must have been tires - there's NO WAY that they reinstalled age-cracked, flat spotted tires from ten years of sitting back onto this car, yet they don't appear under expenses.

I think that the chap who re-purchased it might've made out a bit better than we give him credit for. Also, Mike's one irritating guy. Edd China does literally all the work and Mike just goes around steam rolling people, yuck.

welcome.png
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Dabidoh @ Oct 3 2019, 02:03 PM) *

Fast forward >>> Mike and Edd have split up for a while now. Edd has a cool book out, he's an awesome wrench and tours around car themed events all over the place driving.gif
sb914
Met Ed at cars n coffee a few years ago.
He’s super tall

Click to view attachment
76-914
I purchased the rear trunk lid off of that car. I mounted a luggage rack on it and use it when the wife travels with me. Otherwise it hangs from the garage ceiling. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.