Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: UK 914 needed for TV appearance
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Wheeler Dealer
Hi all,

I'm part of the production team for Wheeler Dealers. As part of the new series we're featuring a 1974 Porsche 914. For those of you not aware Wheeler Dealers is a programme where we buy iconic cars, fix their faults and then sell them on for a profit. It is produced in the UK and broadcast all over the world.

At the beginning of the episode we always film a 'pristine version' of the featured vehicle. This is to show the viewer how good the vehicle can look and what we're trying to achieve by the end of the programme.

As such we're looking for a 914 to film that is in good condition (possibly having undergone a resto). If you have such a car and want to have it featured on TV, please email me with your availability over the next two weeks. My email is matt@attaboytv.com. Preferably if you could send some pics of your car it would be appreciated. We would require you and your car for one day and would cover travel expenses and provide a DVD of the finished programme after it has aired. Filming will be in Surrey, England.

We look forward to hearing from you.

The Wheeler Dealers Team
siverson
Awesome! I can't help with your search, but am looking forward to the episode!

-Steve

QUOTE(Wheeler Dealer @ Nov 2 2011, 11:40 AM) *

Hi all,

I'm part of the production team for Wheeler Dealers. As part of the new series we're featuring a 1974 Porsche 914. For those of you not aware Wheeler Dealers is a programme where we buy iconic cars, fix their faults and then sell them on for a profit. It is produced in the UK and broadcast all over the world.

At the beginning of the episode we always film a 'pristine version' of the featured vehicle. This is to show the viewer how good the vehicle can look and what we're trying to achieve by the end of the programme.

As such we're looking for a 914 to film that is in good condition (possibly having undergone a resto). If you have such a car and want to have it featured on TV, please email me with your availability over the next two weeks. My email is matt@attaboytv.com. Preferably if you could send some pics of your car it would be appreciated. We would require you and your car for one day and would cover travel expenses and provide a DVD of the finished programme after it has aired. Filming will be in Surrey, England.

We look forward to hearing from you.

The Wheeler Dealers Team

StratPlayer
damn,,, that's cool drunk.gif
Rob-O
I was just thinking...this might need to be a two or three part programme. The 914's need a lot of work. Ed is pretty good, but it will be interesting to see the budget and it's use.
beech4rd
If you are looking for a UK based 914, you might be better off posting on this forum.

http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php

It's the UK 914 forum for all 6 914s left in the UK ( perhaps I under estimate the number).

BTW, You ran an episode featuring a mid year '70's Porsche 911 being flipped. Your mechanic threw away the anodised wheel arch trim because he thought it looked too blingy. I'd just spent $900.00 on similar trim for my 911 restoration.

Chris
SLITS
Hey, I'm putting floats on my teener for the drive across the pond. lol-2.gif
underthetire
Ya, might have better luck flying here with a camera man.. Just sayin.
jwc914
Poor Ed, I have watched many of the shows and noticed that he is never paid a dime for his labor. They never include his labor, dmv fees, taxes, insurance costs and i am sure i am missing something. Cool show but accounting is way off. john
Rod
Hey me ! I'm in Farnham and have a lovely 914 smile.gif Bly problem being is its not standard. The person you need to contact is KEV914 who is on ddk - he has a MINT 2.0 that would suit you perfectly.. I'll email him this link..
no1uno
Great show! I can't wait to see the 914 episode. Rust in glorious High Def!
monkeyboy
I love that show. Good luck.
bitzer
Hi wheeler dealers
you need to post this on www.ddk-online.com in the 914 forum and ask for Kev.
His cars are regularly featured in classic car mags.
pray.gif
Rod
Hi Bitzer, I've just emailed Kev. He is the man for the job smile.gif
racerbvd
A few from the UK have expressed an interest in my rough, matching numbers 914-6, maybe this will edge em over..
jmill
QUOTE(beech4rd @ Nov 2 2011, 02:09 PM) *

BTW, You ran an episode featuring a mid year '70's Porsche 911 being flipped. Your mechanic threw away the anodised wheel arch trim because he thought it looked too blingy. I'd just spent $900.00 on similar trim for my 911 restoration.

Great episode. I thought it was funny that they took a USA spec 911 and made it look like a ROW spec just to sell it to a guy who was from the USA.
bandjoey
If you're paying all expenses, send me the tickets and I'll ship my car over. Problem you'll find is that a Pristine 914 is found only on jackstands. lol-2.gif

Love the show..watch it all the time.
BajaXJ92
Love that show! If you're willing to come to the US to film, I've got a pristine 1975 2.0L car that would be a great example. I'm sure, however, there are many excellent examples of 914s in England.

Looking forward to seeing this episode. smile.gif
johannes
That's great news. I can't wait (possibly six month) to see this episode ...

And I agree, www.ddk-online.com is the place to post this demand.

914KEV
QUOTE(Rod @ Nov 2 2011, 09:01 PM) *

Hey me ! I'm in Farnham and have a lovely 914 smile.gif Bly problem being is its not standard. The person you need to contact is KEV914 who is on ddk - he has a MINT 2.0 that would suit you perfectly.. I'll email him this link..

QUOTE(bitzer @ Nov 2 2011, 09:25 PM) *

Hi wheeler dealers
you need to post this on www.ddk-online.com in the 914 forum and ask for Kev.
His cars are regularly featured in classic car mags.
pray.gif

QUOTE(Rod @ Nov 2 2011, 09:47 PM) *

Hi Bitzer, I've just emailed Kev. He is the man for the job smile.gif

Thanks guys 14.gif

Have e-mailed them my details and I live in Surrey smile.gif

IPB Image
flipb
Wow, just found this thread while watching Wheeler Dealers on Velocity network. Too cool, I've wondered what it would be like for the show to do a 914.

Kev, your car looks spectacular. Is that Saturn/Chrome Yellow (like mine)?
defianty
QUOTE(flipb @ Nov 3 2011, 02:39 AM) *

Wow, just found this thread while watching Wheeler Dealers on Velocity network. Too cool, I've wondered what it would be like for the show to do a 914.

Yeah, it's a lovely car, Ravenna Green Multiple concourse winner. Just one of Kev's fleet biggrin.gif
914KEV
QUOTE(flipb @ Nov 3 2011, 02:39 AM) *

QUOTE(defianty @ Nov 3 2011, 12:23 PM) *
Yeah, it's a lovely car, Ravenna Green Multiple concourse winner. Just one of Kev's fleet biggrin.gif

Thank you for your kind words.
The color of my 1974 2.0, is ‘Ravanna Green’. The car has won, one or two concours over the last few years. first.gif as well as 2nd and 3rd.
A great color, like ‘Saturn Yellow’, when in different lighting conditions, will change color.

Waiting to hear if the producer/director likes my 914 unsure.gif , filming is scheduled for next week.

I only own seven cars, ............................................ all of them 914s biggrin.gif

My daily ride is a Diamond Silver '75 2.0 smile.gif
johannes
Now, lets see how Mike can find a cheap 914 that is not a pile of rust ...

Here is a good candidate ...

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C257265#

wink.gif ...
flipb
QUOTE(johannes @ Nov 3 2011, 03:55 PM) *

wink.gif ...

You didn't read his whole description!

1970 VW/Porsche 914 for sale.

This has been my fun car for nearly 20 years!
We have been through thick and thin together so im reluctant to sell but with new twin girls and a spectacularly expensive camper on the way it will just not get used and space is at a premium here so its time for someone else to take the reins.

For those not familiar with the 914, it’s a sporty two seater from a collaboration between VW and Porsche in the late 60’s to replace the Karmann Ghia and 912 respectively.
It boasts a mid engine configuration, fuel injection, four wheel discs, a five speed box and a targa roof, all stuff way ahead of its time!
For those that ARE familiar with them, this is a very solid car, it has had all the usual trouble areas welded and more. The “hell hole” is solid along with the sills, all the suspension mounts, floor pan and both boots.
The engine is a real gem, it still has its factory fuel injection that has performed faultlessly all the time I have owned it so response is good and it pulls very strong and smooth and will happily surpass the speed limit all day long with no stress. It gets there comparatively quickly too. Very rare for a 914 is the fact this car does not leak any oil either!
The gearbox is what normally puts people off these, mine has had a full gearbox rebuild! Yes! Everything it needed including upgrading lots of the internals to later 911 bits. Totally transforms the car, it is great to drive now! It also cost more than I am asking for the car! (Lots of exclamation marks there, but it really is a big deal) (!)
The brakes work great, I have had all four callipers rebuilt or replaced throughout my custodianship and it pulls up nice and straight like it is supposed to.
It was inspected by the TV show “Wheeler Dealers” who turned it down as there was not enough mechanicals to do!
bandjoey
I can't imagine a 914 without mechanical problems... idea.gif

I'm watching to see how much rust work they want to do. Hope they looked at some of the projects here before buying...

LET US KNOW WHEN THE AIR DATE IS!!! THANKS WHEELER DEALERS! cheer.gif
johannes
QUOTE(flipb @ Nov 3 2011, 12:11 PM) *

wink.gif ...

It was inspected by the TV show “Wheeler Dealers” who turned it down as there was not enough mechanicals to do!

WOW a 914 for 4250 with not enough to do ???

confused24.gif
SLITS
$6810.18 USD
flipb
QUOTE(johannes @ Nov 4 2011, 12:39 PM) *

QUOTE(flipb @ Nov 3 2011, 12:11 PM) *

wink.gif ...

WOW a 914 for 4250 with not enough to do ???

confused24.gif

QUOTE(SLITS @ Nov 4 2011, 12:55 PM) *

$6810.18 USD

Could be the first time in history that a US buyer finds a bargain 914 in Europe and has it shipped over... happy11.gif

(at least, in recent currency valuation history)
scotty b
QUOTE(Wheeler Dealer @ Nov 2 2011, 10:40 AM) *

Hi all,

we buy iconic cars, fix their faults and then sell them on for a profit

huh.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif laugh.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif laugh.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif rolleyes.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif OOOhhhhh that's rich av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif

popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif

dlkawashima
One of my favorites shows. Edd and Mike make me laugh, what with their strange (to us Americans) slang and corny back and forth banter. Really looking forward to seeing the 914 episode ...

Click to view attachment
johannes
Any news ?

914KEV
IPB Image
The filming of the ‘pristine 914’ took place at ‘Long cross Test Track’ in Surrey, west of London, England.
This ex-military location is often used by TV companies as well as the motor-press to photograph and test cars in a controlled environment here in the U.K.
Back when it was run by the military it was commonly referred too by the press as “our secret test facility in Surrey”.
Up to about ten years ago anybody using the test circuit were not allowed to publicize the location!
IPB Image
The circuit is mostly surround by trees, the southern side runs next to a military golf course; with white lines painted on the surface in places, the circuit can look just like a public road.
On the day of filming the ground was wet from overnight rain, but the day did stay dry, for most of the day it was overcast, which the film crew were happy with as there were no long shadows.
The film crew preferred filming brightly colored cars on overcast days, as the sun can water down the color!
The sun did made an appearance by the end of the day on the last few drive past shots, shining through the trees.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
The moving shots were filmed from a specially converted Ford Mondeo, which is called a tracking vehicle on the long cross ‘snake test circuit’.
Incidentally the snake circuit along with most of the other test features were originally built for testing tanks which were built there during the second world war.
IPB Image
IPB Image
The driving shots do not feature me behind the wheel of the 914, they always use their own driver for the moving shots.
The ‘914’ which Wheeler Dealers bought (I haven’t seen this 914), which for the last ten years had been stored in a barn, it is a ’74 1.8 in Phoenix Red.
The ‘914 barn find’ episode will be aired in the spring of 2012.
IPB Image
SirAndy
smilie_pokal.gif
sixnotfour
first.gif
Mike Bellis
Very Exciting!
dlee6204
Super cool!

Great looking car btw! thumb3d.gif wub.gif
EdwardBlume
beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif

smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif
rnellums
Can't wait! Someone will need to post the link to an online vid as soon as it comes out!
johannes
That's just awesome ... I cant wait to see the episode ....
Thank you very much for the pictures and the report.

Series 10 will feature 15 cars and will, reportedly, include Porsche 914, Renault Alpine, 2000 BMW M5, Fiat Dino and a Morgan. (source Wikipedia)

johannes
QUOTE(rnellums @ Nov 13 2011, 07:36 PM) *

Can't wait! Someone will need to post the link to an online vid as soon as it comes out!

All episodes show up on youtube a few days after airing...
I know this show is also aired in Germany, but not in France ... So Youtube is the only way for me to watch the show.
914KEV
This is the 914 which Mike and Edd fix up for the forthcoming ‘Wheeler Dealer - Porsche 914 episode in series 10’

The photos show the 914 finished. The eagle eyed will notice, bits missing and that it's not quite as it should be ! unsure.gif but does that really matter !

IPB ImageIPB Image
IPB ImageIPB Image

The 914 was offered for sale here in the UK in a classified add on eBay for £8,250 ($12,750)

Have been informed by the TV show makers, that the 914 has now been sold and the buyer will be seen at the end of the show striking their deal with Mike.

We will have to wait till the episode is aired to find out how much Mike paid for the 914, what Edd and Mike spent fixing it up and how much they got when selling it on ! lol3.gif
johannes
Looks like the car got a repaint ... but this migh only be a polish. They don't paint very often because it's so expensive ...
BTW ... I hate the mirrors.

smoke.gif
KaptKaos
The mech is seriously tall. I want to see him in the 914.

Love the show BTW. :ftw:
ezbngreen914
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Dec 4 2011, 11:18 PM) *

The mech is seriously tall. I want to see him in the 914.

Love the show BTW. :ftw:

I swear he keeps getting taller... and his hair is getting lighter and more whispy. I fully expect Big Bird to walk out of the garage on the next episode.
914KEV
QUOTE(johannes @ Dec 5 2011, 12:18 AM) *

Looks like the car got a repaint ... but this migh only be a polish. They don't paint very often because it's so expensive ...

The 914 didn’t get a re-spray, just buffed with a few bits touched up.
They repainted the Targa Top; you will have to wait to see how they did that! unsure.gif

QUOTE(johannes @ Dec 5 2011, 12:18 AM) *
BTW ... I hate the mirrors. smoke.gif

Also don’t like the mirrors, they were the first thing I noticed, they just hit you! ar15.gif

Shame Edd didn’t bin them and replace them with a pair of originals,
properly due to the unsightly holes drilled for the aftermarket ones being visible w00t.gif it was properly easier to leave them there!
johannes
QUOTE(914KEV @ Dec 5 2011, 08:06 AM) *

The 914 didn’t get a re-spray, just buffed with a few bits touched up.
They repainted the Targa Top; you will have to wait to see how they did that! unsure.gif

IPB Image

I am afraid .... unsure.gif
moparrob

I swear he keeps getting taller... and his hair is getting lighter and more whispy. I fully expect Big Bird to walk out of the garage on the next episode.

THAT is funny! I almost spit out my coffee when I read that this morning. av-943.gif
Maltese Falcon
Let's see if Mike can hang the tail out on the tarmac. Hopefully no dodgy bits come flying out the bottom.Edd could be a great model for Bosley.
Marty
flipb
Watching the Karmann Ghia episode right now and wondering when the 914 episode will air. Anybody know?

Does the new owner of the Wheeler Dealer 914 walk among us?
sfrenck
Wikipedia says March

Wheeler Dealers Wiki
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.