Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What would your cost-no-object 914 be?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
JRust
Custom built TDI 1.9 turbo diesel pushing 230hp & 250 FPT. Boxster/Audi 6 speed tranny. Custom flares with Boxster radiators integrated in the rear flare on each side. 16x8 fuchs fronts & 16x9 rears. Custom a/c & heater using stock vents. Absolutely bumping stereo with 10" subs behind each seat set in the firewall. They would be sealed up in the engine bay. I love Phoenix red with black wheels/bumpers,valance & rockers. Although as this 914 will be so far from stock I may just go with some non Porsche color confused24.gif

Oh yeah I would still get at least 50MPG cheer.gif
racerbvd
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Nov 25 2011, 01:24 PM) *

I'd start with a Numbers Matching Factory 6.. Extremely well documented. A 1 or 2 owner car max. 60,000 miles or less..
Have it done over to stock specs like a couple of cars I have seen here.
Narrow body, 14" Fuchs.. Just as new..

Remove the Original engine and shelf it.
Have a 2.5 S/S engine built.
Aluminum Case.. All the goodies.. Twin Plug S heads and Cams..
MFI or Newer Injection with Individual Slide Throttle bodies. Stainless Headers Minimal mufflers.. Lots of revs and lots of noise..

Use as necessary... When done.. Put the original engine back in and sell for top dollar.. Sell the 2.5 on PP after car is sold..

My plan was to build "clone" of the "Six" we are getting ready to concours, I had everything to do it, but changed my mind on cutting one, sold or traded off most of the goodies "intended" for that after the cost of the restoration kept climbing.. sad.gif
I wanted to "Show" on Sat. & "Race" on Sun..
racerbvd
This....
http://youngstown.craigslist.org/cto/2723755886.html
JMKnight
evilgrin.gif
QUOTE(rwilner @ Nov 24 2011, 05:54 PM) *

If you could build yourself any 914...no $ limitations, no time limitations, all parts available, and most importantly infinite patience...what would you build?

The poll only has room for 3 questions so feel free to share other thoughts (like why) in the thread.

evilgrin.gif Build hell...I want a/the Lufthansa version. biggrin.gif
dflesburg
been there, done that, got the tee shirt.

Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
What would your cost-no-object 914 be?

Jeff Zwarts new car...

IPB Image
Series9
The RS build was my first attempt at this concept. Now I have 993TT ideas rolling around......

hwgunner
Good to know I am "normal"!

jonathan
hwgunner
tod914
Have to jump on the band waggon with Eric. Factory GT!
Racing916
Being a track junky and a fan of the hippie paint scheme, I would want this one!

pt_700
how 'bout a hot dipped galvinized one that don't rust!
justinevert
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 24 2011, 10:57 PM) *

No to hijack but how is our fraulien alien doing? Last time I heard she was a tad bit moldy. icon8.gif
Mark Henry
A street legal 917...at least it would still be a teener!
914.SBC
I would have thought owning a V8 would be a little more popular than what the voting shows. For me, I would never want a 95 HP car. I am an old school muscle car guy so I am a V8 person. I guess it does not matter. We have cars that we love and who cares about what other people say. beerchug.gif

Happy Holidays to all santa_smiley.gif
mark21742
I'd have to say GM ls based stroker with twin turbos through maybe a subbie 6 speed in the 914 I'm currently building, but since I do have a tight budget I'm running a turbocharged Honda d16 and tranny sad.gif
SirAndy

Probably look something like this:

SirAndy
Funny, i just realized this is the same car Eric posted on the previous page. Except in his pic it's all nice and clean.

biggrin.gif
thelogo

If were talking money is no object then

I guess i'll go

FURMAHN engine

but I imagine a tune up could get quite expensive on that thing .

not alot of guys working on d-jet , but dohc air cooled 4's . that's a expensive guy
ezbngreen914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 1 2011, 12:34 PM) *

man, I would love to do that in a 914! sometimes when I'm in an altered state of mind I think about how fun it would be to drive mine in the rain some day! Maybe I will someday on a special occasion. (obviously after my mind is no longer altered) Somewhere online there is a video of a 914 drifting in the snow! I can't find it but it was awesome.
John
QUOTE(ezbngreen914 @ Dec 4 2011, 05:44 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 1 2011, 12:34 PM) *

man, I would love to do that in a 914! sometimes when I'm in an altered state of mind I think about how fun it would be to drive mine in the rain some day! Maybe I will someday on a special occasion. (obviously after my mind is no longer altered) Somewhere online there is a video of a 914 drifting in the snow! I can't find it but it was awesome.

23 years ago, I drove mine year round. Rain, sleet, snow, etc. They are good cars in the snow (at least when in stock form). The car had excellent heat and narrow enough tires that snow wasn't really a problem.
sww914
QUOTE(Racing916 @ Nov 30 2011, 04:57 AM) *

Being a track junky and a fan of the hippie paint scheme, I would want this one!

FYI, the only part of that car that is still a 914 piece is the windshield frame.
Super, super nice car. I love it and it inspired me to start a build that I later abandoned to go cruising. I'll build one when I return from the tropics, if I return from the tropics.
PThompson509
I'm living the dream now - I have an electric 914 with a real-world range of 55 miles (at San Diego Freeway/Autobahn speeds). New motor is going in soon with 250Nm of torque (184 ft-lb) - and this from 100RPM! I would have gone for a stronger motor (420Nm), but was afraid of breaking the tranny. beerchug.gif

Newer batteries will extend the range, but that (as has been noted) will take some serious coin. My current battery pack set me back $9k - but this is getting cheaper all the time. Once I'm happy with the current arrangement, I was thinking about updating the transmission to a subby, but that takes time (since we are ignoring the money aspect).

So, toss in the flares, 5-lug wheels, updating trans, major battery upgrade and the huge 420Nm (310 ft-lb) motor, and now we are talking about some serious Corvette spanking. piratenanner.gif

Cheers!
Peter
gothspeed
I would love a

full carbon fiber chassis/body (GT flared)
coil over 4 corners,
GT2 engine (type 997),
G50 turbo trans with limited slip,
full leather interior,
prototipo steering wheel,
fikse wheels 7s and 9s

smile.gif
MoveQik
Big 6, 5 lug, Narrow body and drive it. biggrin.gif

All those paint chips in the hood just add personality.

IPB Image
Randal
A big four isn't 2056. smile.gif
rohar
I'm not sure exactly what it'd become, but I'd probably start with one of these and work from there:

IPB Image
A&PGirl
I'm changing my previous entry.

Big Raby 4, matching Dr. Evil transmission, new Eric Shea 914/6 calipers all round, almost all of Racer Chris's suspension/steering stockish upgrades/fixes, and custom all-electric air conditioning. Preferably, 5 lug with either Pedrini's or stock Steel w/the correct hub caps.

The body style either a narrow 916 or a narrow Rally type 914/914-6. Painted in pre-A/A lacquer paint. I'm thinking of Fish Silver Gray (505) or Radium Green (510).

Cost no Object laugh.gif :
Big Raby 4 $10,000-$30,000
Dr. Evil Tranny $2,000
Eric Shea 914/6 calipers $?
Racer Chris $2-5G
A/C $2G
Wheels $2-5G
Everything else $5-8G

I might just do most of this anyway. happy11.gif
avidfanjpl
Steve's M471 with TC's 2.9L Twin Plug and big slicks.

I saw both in the same day and will never forget either.

J
Cohibra45
I would choose a Raby 4 in a narrow body, 5 lug, 911 suspension, 915 limited slip, with these flares:

IPB Image

IPB Image

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii150/C...he914flare1.jpg

I really like these flares as I feel that they maintain the 'narrow' body lines and allow for the 16x7 and 16x8/9 rears!!! beerchug.gif
siverson
Peter, I'd love to see your car sometime - sounds interesting!
shoguneagle
Definitely a 917 street legal (even in California); the ultimate car in my books. Otherwise, complete my 914-Sixer by cleaning up and painting it. Then enjoy driving it for pleasure on a daily basis. I like the cars shown here and they are excellent items for unlimited money and enjoyment.

Steve
Rod
Mine would be a little bit more unusual than the crowd as I use my 914 for 2 purposes, 1 a fun street car and 2 a competition audio car smilie_pokal.gif

So primarily I would want to remove the fuel tank and be able to put a Velodyne subwoofer in the firewall, as well as mount a pair of Image Dynamic horns with TAD drivers as deep into the firewall as possible.. The mids I would want in the kicks, but there is not enough airspace in the kicks as they stand to gain a proper bass response, so I would need to delete the warm air pipes and then vent the speaker up into the front scuttle and down the sill pipe - The whole interior would be retrimmed in black Alcantara, with a simple dashboard back in place, but simpler and more acoustically transparent and throw a Marky top on it...

I live in the UK, so need heat in the car, and as I have deleted the warm air supply I would need to go watercooled - so a current model Porsche flat six would be fettled to fit with rad up front with a 930 box.

Black body with wide arches and polished fuchs to finish off. Pass me a tissue......!! MDB2.gif
jimkelly
narrow body with 5 lug suspension and suby 6 with suby trans.

i feel giving up the front (cool temp) trunk is an acceptable compromise for a modern drive train.

i think suby 4 turbo has tons of cool cred though : )
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=102887&hl=

QUOTE(MoveQik @ Aug 15 2012, 09:55 PM) *

Big 6, 5 lug, Narrow body and drive it. biggrin.gif

All those paint chips in the hood just add personality.

IPB Image

That Car is bueatiful! It sits just right, the fuchs with the polished/chrome...amazing I like that.. Eventually, this is what I want mine- in Zambezi green to look like..
ClayPerrine
Full Carbon Fiber Chassis with GT Flares.
911 RSR front suspension with Boxster S calipers.
Boxster S Rear suspension.
Boxster 6 speed Transmission.
VW W-12 Motor with ITBs.

16x9 Fuchs all the way around.

All leather interior.
AC and Heat.

brant
to bad you don't list a small bore -6

the 81mm, twin plug 906 motor is a lot of fun!
smj
Funny, I might need unlimited budget just to fix up my current herd... biggrin.gif

But seriously, Other: I'd ask the guys at Moal Coachbuilders to reinterpret the 904 body with the practicality of the 914 in mind. I would probably require them to keep working with a flat six for low center of mass. I would allow them to consider watercooled variants, but require an aircooled option. Must have six forward gears.
shuie
if I couldn't have a Polopulus inspired air cooled flat 8 cut and welded from two -6 motors I would want a full tube frame widebody car with C5 Corvette suspension, brakes, & engine.
rwilner
QUOTE(shuie @ Aug 19 2012, 12:25 AM) *

a full tube frame widebody car with C5 Corvette suspension, brakes, & engine.

factory five GTM

Building one is on my bucket list.
Richard Casto
Effectively a GT clone, but with a 3L 908 flat eight. I would rather go for ultimate Porsche coolness than maximum power, etc. And I while I am sure it can be stuffed in by cutting enough metal, I would not put in a flat twelve from a 917.

Who wouldn't want this sound in their 914?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McKRagEpqnk

I would do my own transmission. wink.gif

Richard
mgp4591
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Aug 17 2012, 05:29 AM) *

narrow body with 5 lug suspension and suby 6 with suby trans.

i feel giving up the front (cool temp) trunk is an acceptable compromise for a modern drive train.

i think suby 4 turbo has tons of cool cred though : )
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=102887&hl=

Funny (maybe not so!) that you mention that- I'm in the process of doing the Subie 3.3 from an SVX (180 deg. flat-plane crank for top end breathing) with a T3-T4 hybrid turbo just for kicks. Not alot of boost, just alot of breath. Probably around 320-350 bhp and a great sound- hooked up to an automatic trans (2wd) for now until I procure an STI 6 speed with shifter from a Honda Accord 6spd. The automatic is being rebuilt with higher fluid pressure for better shifts, plus it helps keep the turbo on boil. Oh, and all the suspension is from Subie too. More later as work gets done...
stirthepot.gif
fasthonda
This Thread bothers me.

Stop dreaming and start building!
seanery
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 24 2011, 11:57 PM) *

Hey Rick,

what are the alien's wheels?

my guess would be
Front - 16x7 from rear 911
Rear - 16x8 from rear 951
Maltese Falcon
Lozano prepared cayenne v8 5.0L , sequential Quaffie, Sheridan wide body.
All stuffed into a '74 with title, California plates, street + track 914.
Should be good enough for the HOV lanes biggrin.gif
Scott S
My list is very very short.......
ChrisFoley
This is a tough one.
I already have a cost is nearly no object 4 cyl. race car,
and I love the 3.2L 916 Carrera GT we just finished.
But I voted for a flared 5 lug electric 914 since I'm already on a long term plan to build one for Mary.
MATTYLITE810
My no cost 914 would be:
-Cayenne V8 TT engine (bored out to 5.0 litres by Lozano Brothers Porting, look 'em up if you don't know who they are)
-1200 whp
-Sequential G50 transmission
-Centerlocks
-Sheridan widebody (10" wide front/14" wide rear)

Then again, I'm already more than halfway accomplished with this..

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Concept sketch of Mattylite810's 914 -8 TT

Click to view attachment
RON S.

I'm beginning to believe that after 14 years and 10's and 10's of thousands of dollars spent that mine has become a cost-no-object 914. wacko.gif

Oh well, I guess I'll just keep spending along.... unsure.gif
Todd Enlund
I need two 914s in my unlimited budget. The first is a 2.5 short stroke twin plug GT replica, the second is a Hartley V-8 conversion with a sequential transaxle.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.