Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What would your cost-no-object 914 be?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
rwilner
If you could build yourself any 914...no $ limitations, no time limitations, all parts available, and most importantly infinite patience...what would you build?

The poll only has room for 3 questions so feel free to share other thoughts (like why) in the thread.
Mike Bellis
If money were no oblect...

H1-V8 and a sequencial 6 speed tranny. About $70k in engine and tranny... biggrin.gif

www.h1v8.com

Click to view attachment

Or maybe just this... barf.gif

Click to view attachment
iamchappy
This is what i came up with and there is always ways and things to add to improve it.

That's the beauty of these cars, there seems to be endless cool ways to do things to them, or keep them cool stock.
underthetire
I'd want to build a correct gt.
patssle
An electric 914 with state of the art batteries that would allow for 3-digit milage travel with a powerful electric motor. That would be fun to build - and insanely expensive.
mepstein
QUOTE(rwilner @ Nov 24 2011, 08:54 PM) *

If you could build yourself any 914...no $ limitations, no time limitations, all parts available, and most importantly infinite patience...what would you build?

The poll only has room for 3 questions so feel free to share other thoughts (like why) in the thread.

Doing it now. Scotty B is building it for me. biggrin.gif
flipb
QUOTE(patssle @ Nov 24 2011, 09:59 PM) *

An electric 914 with state of the art batteries that would allow for 3-digit milage travel with a powerful electric motor. That would be fun to build - and insanely expensive.

agree.gif Can I change my vote now?

Seems to me you could mount a good amount of power storage where the engine belongs, then wheel hub motors (say, 75hp each) in the rear wheels.
rick 918-S
How do you think I voted? assimilate.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

racerbvd
I'm building mine too.. See my Blog for more pix..
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
FourBlades
Porsche factory 914-6 race car. biggrin.gif

The one that came sixth at LeMans would do nicely.

John
sixnotfour
Porsche factory 914-6 race car. biggrin.gif

The one that came sixth at LeMans would do nicely.

John

Great choice,

I am partial to the The Strahle GT,
sixnotfour
dup.
patssle
QUOTE(flipb @ Nov 24 2011, 07:07 PM) *

QUOTE(patssle @ Nov 24 2011, 09:59 PM) *

agree.gif Can I change my vote now?

Seems to me you could mount a good amount of power storage where the engine belongs, then wheel hub motors (say, 75hp each) in the rear wheels.

Oh yeah, it's quite easy to convert into electric - they make adapters to fit the electric motors to the 901 tranny. And it's actually fairly cheap in cost.

The problem is batteries. The more you pay, the better you get in milage. And you have to pay a lot.
Scott S
I would not build anything. I would buy either the Sonauto Lemans GT or the #19 Ralph Meaney GT- if not both of them.

Maybe a nut and bolt recreation of the good doctors 914-8 - but it would have to be an absolute perfect replica.
Dave_Darling
Running. lol-2.gif

--DD
BMXerror
Right now my head is in autocross bigtime, so it would be a flared F Prepared car with a built 2.8 twin plug in it. However, if money was no object I would probably be road racing, in which case I'd go GT2. That actually wouldn't be much of a different car except the motor and setup stuff. I haven't researched GT2 enough to know which engine I'd go with, but probably bigger than 2.8
Mark D.
Andyrew
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Nov 24 2011, 06:14 PM) *

If money were no oblect...

H1-V8 and a sequencial 6 speed tranny. About $70k in engine and tranny... biggrin.gif

www.h1v8.com

Click to view attachment

Or maybe just this... barf.gif

This, with a big turbo.

EdwardBlume
QUOTE(underthetire @ Nov 24 2011, 06:42 PM) *

I'd want to build a correct gt.

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
BIGKAT_83
Not listed above.......,

Click to view attachment

Bob
jmmotorsports
This works for me.

JerryClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
VaccaRabite
If money were no object...
Scott would paint a tub for me, adding flares, fixing rust, a little chassis strength, etc.
The tub would get a 3.6L 6, 930 transmission.
It would have AC, heat, sound proofing.
Joe would help me put in a sound system.
Full leather interior. Tan. Cocomats on the floor.

Zach
zymurgist
Big four. If cost isn't a thing, Jake builds it for me. Narrow body, although I would allow for some subtle custom flaring (not doing a GT here). 5 lug Fuchs, 911 suspension. Keeping it simple and light and maintainable.

Oh yeah, no center console. I like the wide open cockpit... if I want to see a center console I will drive the Vette.
TC Johnson
My ideal would have Tangerine flares, Penske coil overs and all the other chassis goodies to be able to handle the Le Mans spec Cosworth DFV and Hewland gearbox.

Carbon hood, trunk, roof and as light as it could be made and still streetable. A scottyb paint job would make it pretty.

The other TC
shuie
Since I have limitless funds and fabrication skills in this dream...

A narrow bodied stock looking flat 8 sleeper, like the Dr.s. no idea if it could be done, but maybe take the Polopolus 911-4 concept the other way and cut & weld two motors together to make the -8.

Or, somehow adapt a full Corvette C5 suspension to a super wide body IMSA looking car with an LS motor.
URY914
Cost not object 914:

I'd take a 917 and put a 914 body on it. sawzall-smiley.gif confused24.gif smash.gif smilie_pokal.gif
brp986s
2.7 L air-cooled 6, converted to 4 valve with variable timing, flat fan and MFI or itb/efi. Lotsa titanium. Tastefully lowered, 1-piece carbon flared fenders/qtrs. 901 sequential box. I know, I know lol-2.gif
A&PGirl
A narrow body 5 lug with appropriate retro wheels and a cool paint color packaged with a Raby Engine, HAM heads, Raby Cooling, Dr. Evil Tranny, custom exhaust (cherry bomb), Eric Shea brakes/suspension, suspension upgrades-Tangerine & Elephant, new harness, Mikey top, custom carbon fiber/leather interior.
a914622
Subaru turbo diesel with the 6 speed subaru tranny geared to the turbo diesel. only 160 hp but stump pulling 300 flbs of tork. Out pull a ls1 and get 45mpg!!! SWEET

jcl
914werke
smile.gif
racerbvd
QUOTE(URY914 @ Nov 25 2011, 08:11 AM) *

Cost not object 914:

I'd take a 917 and put a 914 body on it. sawzall-smiley.gif confused24.gif smash.gif smilie_pokal.gif

what he said, but as long as we are dreaming, be able to give my 74 GT clone & 76 back to those I got them from, finished and that they could enjoy them..
IronHillRestorations
A BoxsterS with a hop'd up 996 engine. Heat, AC, airbags, and mid engine handling.
gandalf_025
I'd start with a Numbers Matching Factory 6.. Extremely well documented. A 1 or 2 owner car max. 60,000 miles or less..
Have it done over to stock specs like a couple of cars I have seen here.
Narrow body, 14" Fuchs.. Just as new..

Remove the Original engine and shelf it.
Have a 2.5 S/S engine built.
Aluminum Case.. All the goodies.. Twin Plug S heads and Cams..
MFI or Newer Injection with Individual Slide Throttle bodies. Stainless Headers Minimal mufflers.. Lots of revs and lots of noise..

Use as necessary... When done.. Put the original engine back in and sell for top dollar.. Sell the 2.5 on PP after car is sold..
TheCabinetmaker
If money were no object, I would have the factory build me a brand new galvanized, 914-6 3.6L
Tom_T
A third "factory" 914-8 - & since both others were "custom factory jobs" - I'd like mine with the following please:
> the period-correct aircooled flat 908 H-8, SS exhaust system, & sideshift 915 (IIRC) transaxle,
> hot dipped galv. & undercoated narrow body in Metallic Blue with urethane/styrene foam body panel injection delete, with Mahle Gasburner 5-lugs, single 7" diam. H4 80/100w headlights & Foglamps with full App. Group chrome bumpers/grills with Mark's better rubber top pads & sail vinyl/chrome trim, hood, grill & rear 914-8 badges, etc. - but I'd retain the removable targa top & brace the unibody in some other way,
> 73-74 interior with updated dash/vents & adjustable passenger seat & center cushion/hinged box in Tan leather & wool loop pile carpet, full 911/908 instrumentation at the instrument pod & center console, vintage USA dial German AM/FM radio with the mod-set-up for hidden aux input, with "modern" AC in a period look underdash supply!
> I'm sure that there's more, but this is not a real order yet.... dry.gif

...or are you taking orders for us & covering the unlimited cost!? laugh.gif

To look like this one:
biggrin.gif drooley.gif wub.gif w00t.gif driving.gif

Click to view attachment

... but like this other factory 914-8 narrow body in the silver one:

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

AKA - a vintage type street screamer!
shades.gif

....oh & a great old school mechanic & body man, plus a full stash of all mechanical & body/interior parts to keep it fresh for many decades! biggrin.gif
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
MDG
I would simultaneously and completely disassemble two 914's.

One I would restore/refresh to original spec using as many NOS parts I could find and wherever possible reuse the original parts, keeping it in it's original Phoenix Red.

By now it would look something like this:
Click to view attachment

The other 914 would be done to fulfill my wish list. Irish Green, flares, 3.2 Motronic engine, full Cognac leather interior, RSR finished Fuchs . . .

By now it would look something like this:
Click to view attachment

And while pondering the folly of man for undertaking such a foolhardy task, I would console myself in one of these:
Click to view attachment

And lastly, I would want a very understanding wife.
FourBlades
I love this thread...

John
scotty b
930 engine, 930 trans, flared body, 7 & 9 Fuchs, 993 suspension Thanks, and please try the fish
majkos
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Nov 25 2011, 06:04 PM) *

I love this thread...

John

smoke.gif Yup

I gotta say, I love Irish Green and five lug Fuch!

Can I have a half of dozen 914 6 GT's?
Oh ya, the very latest, hottest monster you have (Porsche)
slap in there! aktion035.gif

Yeah, It's all good

rnellums
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Nov 25 2011, 07:54 AM) *

Not listed above.......,

Click to view attachment

Bob

I'm for this one as well!
Type 47
I would have to have two: fairly stock 2.0 but with some mods...carbs, tires, etc. the other a LS1 conversion with 911 suspension
r_towle
An Audi rs8
BajaXJ92
QUOTE(scotty b @ Nov 25 2011, 09:06 PM) *

993TT engine, 930 trans, flared body, 7 & 9 Fuchs, 993 suspension Thanks, and please try the tuna-steak

agree.gif
3d914
Mine would look like this . . . a modernized 914
Click to view attachment

with a 2.4-2.7L twin turbo flat six.
vwsamba
A bone stock untouched original paint 5 lug fuchs low mile 73 1.7 first.gif
Madswede
I'm not trying to take away from the inherent coolness and fun of this thread, but it got me to thinking a bit. And that's always a risky thing. laugh.gif

I suppose there is always going to be a difference in what I consider a dream car and what many others would call a dream car. With the caveat that "money and time are not issues" one can dream up whatever their imagination would allow including, sometimes, things that cannot or will not ever exist. I find that somewhat dissatisfying personally. Creative, but not something I dwell on for very long.

Obviously in reality money and time are always issues. Dream cars, therefore, are in my opinion more like the answer to this question: "what would you really *like* to do but money and/or time is holding you back?" I like that better because it implies that given the will, one can usually achieve those dreams. Money and time are challenges to be overcome, not to be acknowledged as preventing dreams from coming true. I know, I know, easy for me to say, right? Well, it sounds cheesy and there's all sorts of circumstantial stuff going on that changes all the time ... but then the dream car can and should change with those circumstances methinks.

In that vein, my own dream 914 is being realized in Florida at Series9 by Joe O'Brien as we speak (chassis is almost done being painted - main thread is over at clubnarp.com by the way). It's turned into something that was not originally planned (going pretty far with upgrades to the 3.2). It became something that my circumstances allowed, surprisingly, and so ... well, I guess this isn't a dream car any more 'cos as they said in the Big Lebowski, "if you will it dude, it is no dream." shades.gif

Now, I dream about having a car that uses no gas, flies, ignores inertia, and ... wait a minute, that's the starship Enterprise... oh heck with it, I voted big six, flares/five lug, and street/track 'cos that's what I'm doing. aktion035.gif
John
I would want the engine, brakes, running gear and computers from a GT3RSR morphed into a wide body 914.
Rav914
A real '70 /6, white, with a 911/83 motor and a M&K muffler. Perfect Fuchs, body, paint, and interior. That would be my dream 914.
rwilner
I chose a big 4 with narrow body 5 lug. A lightweight, (relatively) easy to maintain 4 with 150+ hp is the "914S" the factory should have built and probably would have sold much better...likely at the expense of 911 sales!
thelogo
QUOTE(rwilner @ Nov 24 2011, 05:54 PM) *

Simple , most power I could tweak out of a 1.7 , not sure what that would be ? 140 ?

and the rest would be ultra lightweight . that's where the high cost would come in / i'm sure stirthepot.gif

ar15.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.