Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Six vs. Four
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Justinp71
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Aug 29 2009, 03:23 PM) *

I voted mid-size six because I'm almost done with my 3.0 conversion. For me aprox. 200 hp with stock internals and 40mmWebers along with headers should be a nice package. I know I can get more power with better pistons and cams but I'm thinking this will be a very exciting ride as is. biggrin.gif

You're gonna love your car when you get it on the road, I just did the same swap last year... Its great on the track too.

There is no substitute for a Flat Six... That is Porsche's motto right?

I will admit though its hard to beat a setup four at an a/x.
J P Stein
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Aug 29 2009, 10:34 PM) *

I will admit though its hard to beat a setup four at an a/x.

No it's not. All one needs is a more well set up 6. biggrin.gif

Shameless plug: Buy my mine & 4get about 4s.
Joe Ricard
JP just curious what your weight distribution is on your car.
Having weighed my car recently I am 60% to the rear and my Massive type IV is significantly lighter than your 6.

J P Stein
It's been a while since I corner balanced, but as I recall it's 58 % on the rear. I may have the numbers somewhere.
ConeDodger
Mine is a perfect 50% crossweight... Flat as a 12 year old Catholic girl in corners. Hard to beat a good 4 cylinder for weight and balance. biggrin.gif
Bill D
Had a stock 4 for several years as a daily driver until my wife got hit head on while driving it by a 68 chevy that ran a light at highway speed. Never liked the sound of the 4. My first Porsche was a 914-6 and I loved every thing about it. I would vote for a 3.2 motronic but I'm sill in the middle of the 1.9TD conversion which is my 1st choice now.
Rand
Hey Trek, you enjoying this revival from over the fence??? tongue.gif
Chime back in to your poll. About time for it. beerchug.gif
Bills914-4
I vote a 4, in my case a big 4

Click to view attachment

gothspeed
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Aug 29 2009, 10:31 PM) *

Lots has changed since I posted this 5 years ago.. Now with the teener bringing more money and being owned by a different group of enthusiasts engines are being built more precisely and the appreciation the /4 deserves is being applied...

There were several years where I was really down on the 914 application, everyone wanting to do the cheapest thing and cutting corners.. About the time I was going to pull the plug on the teener the following changed... Today we sell more 914 specific engine kits than anything other than the VW Bus combinations.

I restructure the engine kit program every two years to update the combos and refine the processes.. I am taking it offline in October for the 2010 and 2011 updates, details about these are on my forums...

Alright!!!! .............. once the 150 HP mark was done reliably on a type IV ........ there is really no reason to go with a six ...... the six will have more power but much of it goes to offset the added weight ...... when coupled with all the chassis mods required .... which add even more weight, there is really no significant net return on 'overall' performance IMO ........ I would love to have have one of Raby's type IV kits (if possible a higher RPM version, with peak HP at 6500 RPM) ...... but that will happen when significant moves in my logistics are completed ........ shades.gif
Jake Raby
I try to keep peak HP at 6,000 RPM.. When I have tuned for higher peak output the precious torque was compromised.

Smart people know that torque is more important than HP.. HP sells engines, torque wins races.

RPM= friction. friction= heat. Heat and friction= wear

The key to our success has been keeping engines alive and exceeding power output expectations.. Torque has been the key to all of that, HP not so much.
Pat Garvey
Look, you all know that I am a curmodgeon. A mis sized six to me is somewhere between a 2.2 & 3.0 motor. Never cared much for the 2.2 in my E, and wouldn't want the long term hassles of a 2.7 (though it IS a sweat motor). The 3.0 is pretty much bulletproof but just doesn't look "period" in a 914.

I'd vote for a simple, easy to maintain 2.4 CIS motor. Looks close to correct, but gives a little extra poop over the stock 2 liter. Yeah, I know, it isn't carbed, but I'm only dreaming here anyway.
Pat
gothspeed
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Aug 30 2009, 07:43 PM) *

I try to keep peak HP at 6,000 RPM.. When I have tuned for higher peak output the precious torque was compromised.

Smart people know that torque is more important than HP.. HP sells engines, torque wins races.

RPM= friction. friction= heat. Heat and friction= wear

The key to our success has been keeping engines alive and exceeding power output expectations.. Torque has been the key to all of that, HP not so much.
I am very familiar with how HP is made ..... Torque x RPM / 5252 = HP ...... a lot of racers like 'low RPM' torque, to get out of corners with a wallop .......... 6000 RPM peak HP is plenty good.............. my passion/experience is with higher RPM DOHC engines of other makes, so I was hoping to get some of that 'sound' here ...... wink.gif ...... but it will not break my heart if these engines are not well suited for higher RPM.

I am happy you have done all this development on the type IV ....... this way I only have to build a solid Raby kit and go smile.gif .................... I will probably go weber carbureted 'initially' ......... my 914 is a 1.7 and will need a 71mm crank at conversion time ........ I am not worried about 'perfect' drive-ability ..... just as long as it doesn't die on decel ......... or overheat (I will run additional oil cooling) ....... other than that .... 150 HP-ish should make me and my GT clone very happy driving.gif
Jake Raby
I am very familiar with how HP is made ..... Torque x RPM / 5252 = HP ...... a lot of racers like 'low RPM' torque, to get out of corners with a wallop .......... 6000 RPM peak HP is plenty good.............

.and provide excellent drive-ability.. Thats part of the design of my kit engines, HP, TQ, reliability and drive-ability!

. my passion/experience is with higher RPM DOHC engines of other makes, so I was hoping to get some of that 'sound' her
e
sound is something I put virtually zero development in.. My experience with engines that sound good is thats about the only thing that they do worth a damn. They sell well, but don't work worth a shit.

...... ...... but it will not break my heart if these engines are not well suited for higher RPM.

trust me, I can get you 9,000 RPM, but you won't have any torque and won't have power below 5K RPM.. Thats not what you need.

I am happy you have done all this development on the type IV ....... this way I only have to build a solid Raby kit and go

That was the idea when i started selling kits over a decade ago.

.................... I will probably go weber carbureted 'initially' ......... my 914 is a 1.7 and will need a 71mm crank at conversion time

That keeps it simple.

........ I am not worried about 'perfect' drive-ability ..... just as long as it doesn't die on decel ......

Every kit I have offers excellent drive-ability.. Whether you think its important or not, it is.. Because it drives so damn good you'll drive it more often.

. or overheat (I will run additional oil cooling)

Do some searches.. I haven't had an overheating complaint in at least 7 years, the designs lend themselves to efficiency and that breeds cool running.

....... other than that .... 150 HP-ish should make me and my GT clone very happy

At 150HP these cars become fun... The revised kit program has several more medium output engines offered... But like everything else, prices are going up.
Challe
I am really tired of the whole thing with which is the best way to go......... I gave up on the 914 market a long time ago, and now if I sell one for a 914 I consider it a freak thing. I have a buyer for the plans to 9 of my 914 engine combos and if things keep up I'll be selling them at the first of the year. The buyer is in Europe, where conversions are more trouble than they are worth, literally.

Damn, I think I just wet my pants! wacko.gif

I didn't notice that this was an old thread, so when I continued to read the posts I was reliefed when I read jakes lasts posts.

I'm a 911 lover and when I bought my 914 it was with plans to have it GT flared, and conversation to a 6. It will cost about the same as to restore a early 911 but I wanted something different. After the first year with the 914 I started to like it as it was, and after 2 years of sorting out the car my plans has changed completly. Now I have started to put back parts that wasn't orginal and my future plans is to keep it so it looks stock but uppgrade the brakes and in a 3-5 year span put in something stronger from Jakes magic shop. I will even keep the 4 lugs fuchs.

The only reason to not do the engine upgrade right now is that I wanted to feel how the car was when it leaved the factory, the engine and gearbox has been overhaulded and I have put in a lot of work and a bit of funds to get it there, so right now I enjoy it as it is and can take my time to figure out how I want my engine upgrade, the only thing I know is that a 6 conversation is not for me.
morgan_harwell
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 30 2009, 07:45 PM) *

"I'd vote for a simple, easy to maintain 2.4 CIS motor. Looks close to correct, but gives a little extra poop over the stock 2 liter. Yeah, I know, it isn't carbed, but I'm only dreaming here anyway."
Pat

Yep!
Exactly what I was thinking back in 1987. So I did the 2.4T-CIS-six conversion over the winter of 1987-88.

My 2.4L-CIS motor has been very easy to maintain, gets great gas mileage, is ultra reliable, and is very long lived.
22 years later, it is still runing strong. I am extremely happy with this engine.

Maintenence: Tune it up once a year and replace seals once in awhile.
Gas Mileage: it gets 2-3 better MPG than the carbed 2.0L/4 it replaced (and is much faster!).
Reliability: 1 alternator replacement, 1 distributor replacement, 2 clutches, valve guides recently.
Long lived: The 2.4T engine already had 90K on it when I bought/installed it in 1987. It has ~295K miles on it now.

My only complaint: I wish the seals lived as long as the engine.
2nd complaint: I'd like to put a 3.2L-DME engine in the 914, but the 2.4L-CIS engine just won't quit!

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 30 2009, 07:45 PM) *

"The 3.0 is pretty much bulletproof ..."

Boy! You said it brother! Our 911SC still has its original (never been apart) 3.0L-CIS engine in it. Today that engine has 326K miles on it. BulletProof! You can't kill it, it just runs and runs and ....
ME733
popcorn[1].gif The reason I voted for a ...4...four is....I prefer a small displacement engine..2.0. + or - or so, which can rev-up fast , peaky race cammed,and with lots of rpm,s..and H.P...I like the "screaming windup" of the F-1 sound. Of course this is matched with a VERY short ratio gearbox. As a old bastard, thats been "around the block" in many types of racing (porsches) My fun is now limited to driving thru the deserted, remote, backroads of a neighboring county. Stoping to feed the horses, deer , and move the turtles off the pavement. I am very Happy. popcorn[1].gif
SLITS
Both tongue.gif
cobra94563
For me, I would need 250-300hp, so that pretty much eliminates the 3L and 4's. I'd do the 3.2 if the budget was $20k or more (and hang with the porsche groups). $15k or less, the chevy or subie (and hang with the muscle crowd.)
I have a v8 now, but those L33 aluminum engine look tempting and cheap!
Jake Raby
250HP from an N/A /4 on pump gas is a possibility.. In the past 4 years we've built 1/2 dozen of them... All twin plug beasts and one (265HP) was only 2.3 liters. The others were al 2.9 and 3.0 engines.
gothspeed
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 1 2009, 05:59 AM) *

250HP from an N/A /4 on pump gas is a possibility.. In the past 4 years we've built 1/2 dozen of them... All twin plug beasts and one (265HP) was only 2.3 liters. The others were al 2.9 and 3.0 engines.

Dang w00t.gif !!!!! I guess I should up my expectations from 150HP ........... how much power is possible from N/A, weber carbureted, 91 octane and single plug idea.gif ?

........ as of today ...... things got one solid step closer .......... to the big four ......... but still a quite a few steps to go ......... stirthepot.gif
Jake Raby
210 easily.. with dual Weber 44s.
ghuff
I am looking at it this way:

FOr the price of a built 6, I can make probably 200+whp on a near stock Type IV with boost.

If/when I blow it up, I can swap it out and build another much better all while being under the cost of a six conversion and the 6 motor parts price tag.

If you want to go to a relatively modern turbo 6, your price goes way up apparently.

Bang for the $$$ and with modern turbo technology in mind, 4 pot is the way to go.
carreraguy
In 25 words or less, my reasons for going Subie turbo:
- easier to maintain modern engine,
- lighter compared to a small block Chevy,
- reliable 215 RWHP plus tunable to more if desired.
budman5201
QUOTE(carreraguy @ Sep 1 2009, 11:00 PM) *

Only 215? type.gif Here let me tune that baby up to 252 like mine!
gothspeed
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 1 2009, 06:58 PM) *

210 easily.. with dual Weber 44s.

One cannot argue with that ... w00t.gif !!! ....... if/when I get my 914 to about 1800-1900 pounds (in street trim) ....... it should be a little monster ..... driving.gif
underthetire
I voted other. I want a rotary. Light and fast.
carreraguy
QUOTE(budman5201 @ Sep 2 2009, 03:47 PM) *

QUOTE(carreraguy @ Sep 1 2009, 11:00 PM) *

Only 215? type.gif Here let me tune that baby up to 252 like mine!

Sure Budman - I'll be right over! smile.gif
I'll be visiting a local tuner as soon as I free up a few more $$.
gothspeed
This thread needs to stay on the first page ......... icon_bump.gif ......... I will be working on my interior this holiday weekend ........... but the thought of having 200+ hp in my 914 is changing my priorities ....... drooley.gif
Todd Enlund
I voted big 4, because that is my plan.

If the budget allowed, I'd love a 2.5 short stroke twin plug six.

Money no object would involve a Hartley H1.
2.8 L
400 HP @ 10,000 rpm
275 ft-lb @ 7,500 rpm
200 lbs

Click to view attachment
gothspeed
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Sep 4 2009, 04:15 PM) *

2.8 L
400 HP @ 10,000 rpm
275 ft-lb @ 7,500 rpm
200 lbs

Click to view attachment

Dude you are the man for posting about this engine ....... 10k rpm sounds awesome ........ w00t.gif !!!!!

What are the prices for this little monster .... idea.gif ??

EDIT: .............. I just looked it up ..... it will be about $30,000 ........... which sounds ok depending on what is included ....... is it full running with stacks and ECU? ....... or just a long block? .......... ohmy.gif

One may also need to change to a taller ring and pinion on the stock 904 GB ........
Joe Ricard
two Honda motor glued together.
OK not glued.
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Sep 4 2009, 07:46 PM) *

two Honda motor glued together.
OK not glued.

Suzuki. Hayabusa.
Joe Ricard
Yea somethng like that.

Nana's_914
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Sep 4 2009, 07:15 PM) *

2.8 L
400 HP @ 10,000 rpm
275 ft-lb @ 7,500 rpm
200 lbs

Click to view attachment

A dyno video
Sounds pretty civil.
gothspeed
QUOTE(Nana's_914 @ Sep 5 2009, 07:12 PM) *

QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Sep 4 2009, 07:15 PM) *

2.8 L
400 HP @ 10,000 rpm
275 ft-lb @ 7,500 rpm
200 lbs

Click to view attachment

A dyno video
Sounds pretty civil.
The loudest part is those Individual Throttle Bodies .......... I would build a completely different exhaust for it ............. to get that engine sounding more like an F1 car ..... dry.gif
Rod
I've been giving this some more thought today....

I'm going to go with big 4. It suits the car and I think that a big four with big fat downdraughts and a horizontal fan would look so good in my engine bay I have and give the car huge kudos (and originality) I had nasty looks today because I was going too fast down a country lane (Even though it's a 60mph limit over here) So to up the 90 bhp I have now to 170-180 would be plenty for me - so new thread coming up...
gothspeed
QUOTE(Rod @ Sep 6 2009, 11:35 AM) *

I've been giving this some more thought today....

I'm going to go with big 4. It suits the car and I think that a big four with big fat downdraughts and a horizontal fan would look so good in my engine bay I have and give the car huge kudos (and originality) I had nasty looks today because I was going too fast down a country lane (Even though it's a 60mph limit over here) So to up the 90 bhp I have now to 170-180 would be plenty for me - so new thread coming up...

What does this horizontal fan you speak of look like?
MikeSpraggi
I voted for a small six. I am a purist in that respect and a small six a la the 914/6gt is my cup 'o tea. Although I'm building a 2.2 (north of stock), I'd like to track something close to what Porsche raced in the 914's. Just my take. My second choice would be a race prepped 3.0-3.2 six .... just for the fun of it.
thesey914
Hi Rod, what size of four are you looking at and have you got any ideas about who's going to build it?
I was toying with the idea of a turbo four for a while but in a way I'm glad I didn't as I'd still be fannying around with it now -and my car was on jackstands for well over 4 years.
180 horsepowers would be incredible, my 2.4 only has 140hp and is plenty quick enough for a 37 year old car. My reasoning in the end was the Porsche factory has done all the homework in producing sixes with anything from 110hp to well over 300. I just had to pick the one I wanted and plumb it in. With a six in it 'feels' like a proper Porsche -with my 4 I always felt it sounded like a beetle/camper.
Having said that with a 180hp four there'll be great satisfaction in embarrassing some much larger sixes
Rod
QUOTE(thesey914 @ Sep 7 2009, 10:59 AM) *

Hi Rod, what size of four are you looking at and have you got any ideas about who's going to build it?
I was toying with the idea of a turbo four for a while but in a way I'm glad I didn't as I'd still be fannying around with it now -and my car was on jackstands for well over 4 years.
180 horsepowers would be incredible, my 2.4 only has 140hp and is plenty quick enough for a 37 year old car. My reasoning in the end was the Porsche factory has done all the homework in producing sixes with anything from 110hp to well over 300. I just had to pick the one I wanted and plumb it in. With a six in it 'feels' like a proper Porsche -with my 4 I always felt it sounded like a beetle/camper.
Having said that with a 180hp four there'll be great satisfaction in embarrassing some much larger sixes

Hi, well 180 may be a bit optimistic, but 160 supposidly easily achievable. I was thinking a 2270 with twin 44's. I would love to get Jake to build me an engine, but looking closer to home I have been in contact with John Maher. Then you go and change my mind again chair.gif I have a friend who is the tech manager over at Reading head office and he knows I'm looking for a six too..... Spoke to him at the pub yesterday and he said he could get his hands on a 996 turbo engine which has been knocking around in the workshop for a couple of years. sawzall-smiley.gif Joking - I wouldn't go that far..

Are you going to the meet at Wellington country park in a fortnight btw?
thesey914
Rod, where is Wellington country park? Are you meeting Sat or Sun (or both)?
I strongly recommend riding in a six before making your decision smile.gif
Rod
QUOTE(thesey914 @ Sep 7 2009, 12:50 PM) *

Rod, where is Wellington country park? Are you meeting Sat or Sun (or both)?
I strongly recommend riding in a six before making your decision smile.gif

I'm sure you were there last year - http://www.911porscheworld.com/mepasite/29...che_Picnic.aspx Only the Sunday. I have to be at a wedding on Sturday night, so I doubt I'll be there till the early pm. Would love a ride in a six cool.gif
thesey914
Ah...the Porscheworld picnic. Hmm it will depend on weather. If I'm there I'll take you for a spin in mine failing the opportunity for a better ride smile.gif
Randal
QUOTE(thesey914 @ Sep 7 2009, 05:46 AM) *

Ah...the Porscheworld picnic. Hmm it will depend on weather. If I'm there I'll take you for a spin in mine failing the opportunity for a better ride smile.gif

Are you guys running any hill climbs in the UK?
Rod
QUOTE(Randal @ Sep 12 2009, 11:04 PM) *

Yes there are a few, I live 30 minutes from Brooklands, which you may have heard of?!?

The next hill climb in the uk is this one - http://www.shelsley-walsh.co.uk/events/con...ms=21&ei=73 Always good!
Randal
QUOTE(Rod @ Sep 12 2009, 03:14 PM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Sep 12 2009, 11:04 PM) *

Yes there are a few, I live 30 minutes from Brooklands, which you may have heard of?!?

The next hill climb in the uk is this one - http://www.shelsley-walsh.co.uk/events/con...ms=21&ei=73 Always good!

When I was living in the UK I was up visiting a buddy in Great Witley. We were sitting outside at his farm and I kept hearing what sounded like a F1 car racing somewhere. We jumped into a car and found the Shelsley Walsh event..

No question it was really great. They were running F1 cars from the past year.

Pretty spectacular watching an F1 run up that hill.

I love to bring one of my race cars over to run that hill. That is one of my life objectives!

Have fun and do post lots of video here.

I don't know Brooklands, but I'll look it up.
pcar916
If the suspensions are good I like 'em all. I love the light weight of the fours.

BIG 6 was my vote though. I can always modulate the throttle to get out of trouble faster'n I got into it... probably... maybe... almost always.

SLITS
Big 6 .... they just sound right and the seat of pants feel is YEEEEEEAAAAAH!
Mark Henry
Funny thing is when I voted, 6 years ago it was for a big four.
Now the big type four is moving over to my '67 bug project and a hot street carbed 3.0/6 is the plan now.
smile.gif
scotty b
3.0 SC make pee pee go stiff smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.