Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914club.com BBS is slow
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
neo914-6
Constant reminders do nothing but PISS OFF everyone

This is not a constant reminder, just some naive questions.

I know when I got DSL < 1 year ago, this site was faster to navigate. Does more member activity affect speed?

To all you internet and computer techies, what and how do you check:
1. Internet Service Providers speed - are all ISP's the same? DSL vs Cable modem
2. My computer HW speed - what component(s) should I replace or should I replace the whole computer? If I replace the computer, what specs would make surfin this site faster?
3. My computer set up. Someone mentioned changing IP address, how do you do that? What settings can speed things up?
lapuwali
I has nothing to do with your computer. It has everything to do with the fact that the box the board is running on is likely getting overtaxed at peak times.

Andy, I disagree it's a network problem. If I pull up several sites at once (nice thing, tabbed browsers), all of them come up 2-3x quicker than 914world.com. Doesn't matter what the sites are (well, within reason). I have no routing problems to the colo that I've noticed, either from home over my lousy ISDN connection through SBC or at work through a T1 hooked straight to Alternet.

The very fact that site performance changes based on the time of day (it's slower early in the day and later afternoons, when most people appear to be "on"), and the fact that Mark indicated the box itself was swapping, tells me there's a simple lack of memory on the box. If this were a mostly static site, I'd agree that the current box should be plenty for the level of traffic it sees. But since it's entirely dynamic, it's very likely showing some stress at peak times. 256MB is really not a lot of memory for something trying to service 50-100 simultaneous users on a fully dynamic site, particularly when you're running the DB server on the same box. If you're at all interested, I can send you some basic tests that can be done at peak times (remotely!) to see if I'm right.

I'm not complaining at all, btw. I find the site performance to be acceptable. I've been the ONLY sysadmin at much bigger sites before while doing other jobs, so I know how hard it is to get around to doing anything that requires me to physically visit the box and do something to it.
redshift
Complaining? EVERYONE HERE SUCKS! (except for Aaron, he blows) :finger2:

The club sometimes times-out when I try to send a PM, or search, but I don't mind, I didn't want to say anything to you assholes anyhow!

smile.gif

M
SpecialK
QUOTE(redshift @ Sep 3 2004, 12:01 AM)
Complaining? EVERYONE HERE SUCKS! (except for Aaron, he blows) :finger2:

The club sometimes times-out when I try to send a PM, or search, but I don't mind, I didn't want to say anything to you assholes anyhow!

smile.gif

M

lol2.gif chairfall.gif beer.gif

The only thing 'slow' on this board right now is me....damn, one more left beer3.gif ...and what good is that tomorrow?

Sincerest apologies if to all BBS members that happen to be interested in the reason the site has slowed, or if I've derailed the 'train of thought' on this topic in any way......But Redshift started it bootyshake.gif
redshift
5 out of 4 doctors agree, Crest tastes like crap, but it actually cleans your teeth, because it's like jewlers rouge, and Close-Up is like jello, with a very medical tasting cinnamon kind of flavor that kids like.

Where am I?
anthony
Andy, didn't Marc say say that the cpu was maxed and that 100% of swap was used? How can you say it's not a hardware issue?

Nobody commented on my idea of a t-shirt run to fund new servers. Everybody pays $5 extra or whatever is needed and we have new servers.
SirAndy
QUOTE(anthony @ Sep 3 2004, 07:09 AM)
Andy, didn't Marc say say that the cpu was maxed and that 100% of swap was used? How can you say it's not a hardware issue?

i didn't say it wasn't the server. i don't rule that out. what i said was that just because this site loads slow for you doesn't have to mean it is the server ...

as for the time of day comment, has it ever occured to you guys that the time of day affects the internet as a whole and not just our little 914club bubble?
look at the obvious, if the club site is slow at peak hours, guess what, it's peak hours for everyone else using the internet.
again, i urge you to do a traceroute next time the site is painfully slow for you and post it here so we can go through it together.

that is the only way to tell where the lag is originating from.

and yes, the server would benefit from more ram (like any other computer out there).

and no, i have no idea where marc got the 100% cpu thing from, as far as i know, he doesn't even have access to the server to find out ...

wink.gif Andy
Qarl
Again, I maintain that the slow down occurred rather suddenly around the same time as some of the layout changes and other changes to the board occurred...

If it were a gradual slowdown due to slow growth, most of us wouldn't have noticed it.

But what do I know... I'm an idiot...
redshift
QUOTE(Qarl @ Sep 3 2004, 12:23 PM)
But what do I know... I'm an idiot...

idea.gif

You don't know that...

M
SirAndy
icon_bump.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Qarl @ Sep 3 2004, 09:23 AM)
Again,  I maintain that the slow down occurred rather suddenly around the same time as some of the layout changes and other changes to the board occurred...
If it were a gradual slowdown due to slow growth, most of us wouldn't have noticed it.

i agree that this points to a hardware issue.

i'm not ruling out that the server has a problem, but it seems that everyone else here is ruling out anything else BUT the server. and it's that ignorance that pisses me off. wink.gif

i also suspect a hardware issue, but as stated before in this thread, i know for a fact that there have been serious router issues between the east and westcoast for several weeks now, which is especially apparent during peak hours.

the next time you have a connectivity problem, please do a ping and traceroute to the 2 following servers:

www.914world.com
www.verilegal.com

the second server is physically right next to the club server, has plenty of ram (4GB), dual cpu, yada yada ...
if your ping + traceroute show a significant *difference* in response-time from both machines, we will have proof that our server has issues.
if both servers are equally "laggy" and have similar response times, the fault is somewhere else.

oh, and don't try to be a complete dumb smartass and tell me that the webpages on www.verilegal.com load much faster than the club-site.
i leave it up to you to think about why that doesn't matter in solving the "914world.com BBS is slow" issue ...

now back to work,
type.gif Andy
SirAndy
ping and traceroute to www.verilegal.com:

ping is a steady 30, traceroute has no major hickups, site runs fine
SirAndy
ping and traceroute to www.914world.com:

ping is a steady 29, traceroute has no major hickups, site runs fine
anthony
Andy, Marc said that the cpu was maxed and 100% of swap space was being used. Is that not true?

I don't see the point of doing pings and traceroutes if the problem is cpu and memory.
Part Pricer
I agree. Getting to the server is not the problem. Something is occuring after you arrive.

I can go to http://914world.com and the page loads rather quickly. However, go to http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=SF&f=2 and the system is dogged slow.

The first URL loads a pretty simple php-derived page. The second URL interacts with the database.

I would tend to agree that it is most likely the swap issue.
SirAndy
QUOTE(anthony @ Sep 3 2004, 03:53 PM)
Andy, Marc said that the cpu was maxed and 100% of swap space was being used. Is that not true?

I don't see the point of doing pings and traceroutes if the problem is cpu and memory.

marc does not have access to the server.

how is that for an answer?
confused24.gif Andy

PS.: i don't see the point of argueing with you. you have already made up your mind.
that's fine with me, but it won't help figuring this out.
you either want to be helpful and give me some real data i can work with or just drop it and don't waste my time any further.
do you have any other *facts* besides "Marc said ..." ???
SirAndy
QUOTE(Paul Heery @ Sep 3 2004, 03:57 PM)
The first URL loads a pretty simple php-derived page. The second URL interacts with the database.

yes, all good, but i'm still not convinced that this is in fact *not* a connectivity issue.
all club pages load fine for me here from home on my DSL, including the main forum page.
shouldn't a 100% maxed out CPU + overloaded swap space treat us all equal ????

obviously, the homepage loads faster as it doesn't really have to query or assemble anything.
this will always be the case, even if we stick 100 gazillabytes of ram in there.
my point, even with a really shitty connection, the hompage will still load fairly fast, that in itself doesn't prove anything.

guys, gimme some real numbers!

the traceroutes i have seen so far from the east coast guys *had* a clear bottleneck ...
wink.gif Andy
Jeroen
Here you go...
SirAndy
here's a shot of the system monitor ...

as you can see the monitor itself and VNC eat up most of the CPU, but obviously only when i'm remotely connected and run the monitor.

the same is true for the CPU bar-chart. it's almost maxed out when i look at it but when i minimize it and come back later, it's fine except a occasional spike.
the monitor itself eat's up 1/4 of the CPU!!!!

however, the machine will clearly benefit from more RAM, the physical ram is almost maxed out ...
so that will be the next step ...

<_< Andy
Part Pricer
Andy,

I pinged the box at 10 second intervals for five minutes. The results are below.

I got responses between 82 and 96, with 96 being the norm. Oh, I'm on the East coast.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Paul Heery @ Sep 3 2004, 04:45 PM)
I pinged the box at 10 second intervals for five minutes. The results are below.

thanks, how is the site "running" for you right now?

too slow?
idea.gif Andy
Part Pricer
Yes. It's running slow. About 20 to 25 seconds to load a page on the forum.

Not surprisingly, it loads slightly faster if I am not logged in. (by about 5 to 10 seconds)
SirAndy
ok, so your ping is steady (altough on the high side) but the site is slow. as is jeroen's connection ...

one last thing smile.gif

can the two of you post a traceroute to the club server?
thanks!
pray.gif Andy
McMark
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 3 2004, 03:10 PM)
QUOTE(anthony @ Sep 3 2004, 03:53 PM)

marc does not have access to the server.

how is that for an answer?
confused24.gif Andy

PS.: i don't see the point of argueing with you. you have already made up your mind.
that's fine with me, but it won't help figuring this out.
you either want to be helpful and give me some real data i can work with or just drop it and don't waste my time any further.
do you have any other *facts* besides "Marc said ..." ???

Talk about ignorance. I've had acccess to the server since I became an admin. I said I was running "top" on the server and what I mean was that I was running "top" on the server. Don't insult me by calling me a liar. I said that the CPU was running high loads and the PHYSICAL memory was being used 100%. It was supposed to be informational. Take it for what it's worth, but don't call me a lair. Fuck you. :finger2:
SirAndy
QUOTE(markd@mac.com @ Sep 3 2004, 05:30 PM)
Talk about ignorance. I've had acccess to the server since I became an admin. I said I was running "top" on the server and what I mean was that I was running "top" on the server. Don't insult me by calling me a liar. I said that the CPU was running high loads and the PHYSICAL memory was being used 100%. It was supposed to be informational. Take it for what it's worth, but don't call me a lair. Fuck you. :finger2:

who gave you access to the server? was that me???
not all admins have remote access to the server ... wink.gif

i'll call you a liar all day if i feel like it! :finger2:

so, where's your traceroute ??? laugh.gif

what did you use to look up the CPU/Memory load?
idea.gif Andy
McMark
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 3 2004, 04:42 PM)
QUOTE(markd@mac.com @ Sep 3 2004, 05:30 PM)
Talk about ignorance.  I've had acccess to the server since I became an admin.  I said I was running "top" on the server and what I mean was that I was running "top" on the server.  Don't insult me by calling me a liar.  I said that the CPU was running high loads and the PHYSICAL memory was being used 100%.  It was supposed to be informational.  Take it for what it's worth, but don't call me a lair.  Fuck you.   :finger2:

who gave you access to the server? was that me???
not all admins have remote access to the server ... wink.gif

i'll call you a liar all day if i feel like it! :finger2:

so, where's your traceroute ??? laugh.gif

what did you use to look up the CPU/Memory load?
idea.gif Andy

I USED TOP! It's the program for that sort of thing on Linux!
Part Pricer
Here's my tracert
lapuwali
Whoa. I think this is a simple case of Andy's juggling too many things at once, feeling harassed, Anthony misspelled Mark's name as Marc, and general confusion...No need for everyone to get their knickers in a twist.

Andy, I did a traceroute from my home ISDN connection, and everything looks fine to me. 20-50ms times, which is basically about what I'd expect to see over this connection to anywhere. Someone's reverse DNS is choked up, as I halt somewhere inside cogentco unless I used -n to turn off name lookups (209.17.64.166 is the address it's choking on). I'm 12 hops from the server here, and the last hop has roughly the same ping time as the first hop. Looks pretty clean to me. I get essentially the same results with verilegal. Indeed, pretty much the same ping times to www.yahoo.com (lord knows where that actually goes).

Do this for me: while logged in to the box itself, do 'vmstat 5' and let it run for a minute or so (10 - 12 lines). Ignore the first line. If you see anything other than 0 in the si or so columns, it's swapping. If it is swapping, it's badly in need of memory.
Part Pricer
James,

That's good info, but it's not in the proper spirit of things around here. You forgot to give them the finger. laugh.gif

:finger2:
McMark
I only have a problem with people telling me I don't know anything about what I'm talking about. That's bullshit.

procs memory swap io system cpu
r b w swpd free buff cache si so bi bo in cs us sy id
0 0 0 93480 9932 7256 129464 6 35 121 174 196 130 36 9 55
0 0 0 93480 6912 7276 129484 0 14 7 44 144 104 22 3 75
0 0 0 93492 6916 7284 129496 2 43 2 83 180 70 18 5 77
0 0 0 93492 6844 7292 129492 0 14 0 27 121 45 0 1 99
1 0 0 93576 3424 7296 129252 0 42 8 420 167 112 69 17 15
0 0 1 94360 3616 7340 127296 14 182 264 282 518 275 44 11 45
0 0 0 94928 3552 7276 125468 4 114 6 177 230 128 20 3 77
0 0 0 95092 3692 7252 125520 3 65 7 76 124 49 0 1 99
0 0 0 95392 3660 7248 125048 0 72 7 420 145 83 70 16 14
2 0 0 95392 4020 7272 125284 5 0 54 42 220 170 31 4 66
0 0 0 95392 4008 7284 125296 2 0 6 52 234 102 8 2 90
0 0 0 95392 4016 7292 125296 0 0 0 33 149 70 23 5 73
0 0 0 95392 4180 7300 124768 2 0 14 412 142 70 65 14 21
0 0 0 95392 3904 7320 124800 0 10 10 38 167 102 16 3 81
0 0 0 95392 3916 7332 124800 9 6 10 476 253 128 64 16 19
1 0 0 95496 3928 7344 124848 69 33 77 96 257 191 38 6 56
1 0 0 95600 3680 7344 124560 0 43 0 133 271 205 38 3 59
0 0 0 95600 4224 7352 123216 0 0 1 399 180 96 75 18 7
Qarl
I notice that the traceroute is taking a different route across the country. Last time I provided a traceroute (about a 4-6 weeks ago, on another thread), there was a different router somewhere that we thought was causing all the hangups.

Oh... and one other point brought up a couple of posts back, and I think this is important in helping diagnose issues...

I too can load the 914club home page really quickly... which supports that fact that a ping or traceroute is going to respond quickly.

It's the loading of the technical BBS.... err I mean, forum that crawls. And I know this is where all the dynamic mumbo jumbo crazy magic stuff happens...

So to repeat myself, and several others... accessing the homepage is quick, dynamic pages is worse, dynamic pages at peak times is worser.... accessing pages and replying with 100 users is the mostest worstest.
Qarl
Oh shit, I almost forgot...

:finger2: :finger2:
lapuwali
biggrin.gif

OK, that vmstat dump (thanks, Mark), shows:

there aren't many processes waiting to do anything (first column is mostly 0)
the CPU is reasonably busy (20-50% idle)
it's swapping some (mostly single digit numbers in si so, but some double digits)
relatively little disk activity (bi bo numbers, anything under 400 regularly is low)

We're not really correlating this to board "slowness" (seems fine to me right now), but I'm sticking by my guns on this. If one of the admins can repeat the vmstat exactly when the board is definitely running slowly, we'll see what it's like then. If it regularly goes into double digits on si/so, it's hurting. Disk and CPU don't appear to be a bottleneck, at least from what I've seen so far. The fact that the CPU isn't idle yet it's not running user processes means it's busy doing housekeeping tasks (like swapping).

Oh, and :finger2:
Brad Roberts
do you really think brad is currently working on fixing the server?
that's a good one ...

If I could physically get to the server... the ram would already be installed. I believed Mark the first time..

I also believe EVERY single person on this BBS with slow response times (not PING times). Pings dont tell us a damn thing about how the database is responding to a query. Since the front page doesnt query the DB like EVERY single post does... it doesnt tax the system.

Now. Can we schedule to get me in there on Tuesday (or this weekend ? so I CAN install some RAM ?

B
vortrex
it's not a network issue. you can see you get a fast reponse when setting up the tcp connection with your http request, but a long delay waiting for content ("waiting for www.914world.com"). when the content is ready, it loads quickly. if it were packet loss, congested network, etc you would get a slow loading page more so than a slowing responding page. someone should run tcpdump on the server and watch the connections being made, might give some more clues.
mercdev
I don't work with Apache, but does it use bandwidth throttling? Seems I remember similar circumstances with a *nix box on a network at Sprint (the box was on a 1GB ethernet switch that connected to a couple OC3's). Engineers sat around scratching their heads and throwing parts at it (upgraded CPU/more ram, new NICs, etc) until they found that "someone" had set the max throughput per session to some unrealistic setting in an effort to "tune" the server.

Do you have any large files people could download from the server to see what the avg. KB/S throughput they're getting is? Most broadband connections get 400-500 (or higher) where something in the 130-150 range usually indicates a saturated T1 or some time of restriction taking place.

(Not bitching at all, I love this site!)
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Sep 3 2004, 07:06 PM)
Now. Can we schedule to get me in there on Tuesday (or this weekend ? so I CAN install some RAM ?

i'm ready to switch over to the compaq box, i only use it for my personal website these days, all my eCommerce stuff has been moved to other (newer) servers ...

4GB RAM, dual CPU's, raid-array with lots-o-disk space, etc. etc. etc.

should only take me a afternoon to switch everything over and kill the linux box.
smash.gif Andy
Gint
You guys are something else... wacko.gif

You're all correct to varying degrees. There are network bottlenecks, peak usage times for the internet as a whole, high db access, and a lot of swapping going on. All of these things together cause slow downs at peak periods.

I created a shell script that runs date, uptime, and a vmstat at 5 second intervals for 12 interations. It's been cron'd to run 33 minutes after every hour. We'll see what happens over the next full day or so. Of course the acid test would be Tuesday.

Right now (pretty quiet and the board is fairly speedy):

Fri Sep 3 22:33:00 PDT 2004

22:33:00 up 6:07, 1 user, load average: 0.69, 0.46, 0.45

r b w swpd free inact active si so bi bo in cs us sy id
3 0 1 94932 5232 4488 180880 4 20 118 156 206 115 36 8 56
0 0 0 94932 5260 4488 180308 0 0 0 171 141 97 10 2 88
0 1 1 94932 4936 4492 182068 0 0 2 70 184 107 16 3 82
2 0 0 95124 3508 5240 182324 0 38 0 434 255 227 54 15 31
1 0 0 95124 4220 4792 181692 0 0 0 425 201 102 53 11 36
0 0 0 95124 4244 4784 181736 0 0 0 42 133 61 6 1 94
0 0 0 95124 3812 6304 181952 0 0 0 33 131 80 59 16 25
0 0 0 95124 3932 4784 182040 0 0 0 444 137 50 15 2 83
1 1 0 95124 3908 4784 183088 0 0 0 18 114 58 5 1 94
0 0 0 95708 3748 4660 184436 0 117 5 157 157 119 23 4 73
Gint
Here's this hour's results (even quieter then the previous hour):

Fri Sep 3 23:33:01 PDT 2004

23:33:01 up 7:07, 1 user, load average: 0.44, 0.56, 0.53

2 1 1 95004 12148 4092 184604 4 18 103 152 198 110 34 8 58
0 0 0 95004 11496 4084 185080 0 0 0 135 156 111 31 4 65
0 0 0 95004 11240 5496 184264 0 0 0 349 218 76 53 14 33
0 0 0 95004 11620 4084 184176 0 0 0 21 145 66 18 3 79
0 0 0 95004 11620 4084 184200 0 0 3 38 172 80 1 1 99
0 0 0 95004 11620 4084 184724 0 0 0 27 126 62 8 2 90
0 0 0 95004 11620 4084 184404 0 0 0 26 186 75 4 1 94
0 0 0 95004 11628 4084 184420 0 0 4 56 205 112 14 3 83
0 0 0 95004 11628 4084 184424 0 0 0 10 116 43 0 0 100
0 0 0 95004 11620 4084 184848 0 0 0 31 138 69 9 1 90

Users at this hour:
7 guests, 19 members 2 Anonymous Members
I'll post more in the morning. The results up until then should provide a nice quiet baseline. We'll be able to see it go up as the morning goes on. I could script a traceroute via ssh to my mail server so I could include it in the log file for the vmstat script output, but the ROI for that work ain't worth it.

Here's a traceroute from my mail server. It's interesting to note that there is a lag of 50 seconds between hop 7 and 8. The response times don't show it, but it's there. I don't know what it means since it obviously doesn't take that long to contact the server. Anywho...

> traceroute 914world.com
traceroute to 914world.com (66.250.97.205), 64 hops max, 44 byte packets
1 access01-fe6-0-18.ftc.frii.net (216.17.222.6) 0.448 ms 0.422 ms 0.296 ms
2 core01-fe6-0-701.ftc.frii.net (216.17.230.17) 0.749 ms 1.019 ms 0.928 ms
3 core01-atm3-0-32.den.frii.net (216.17.230.42) 3.698 ms 3.817 ms 4.784 ms
4 f29.ba01.b006467-1.den01.atlas.cogentco.com (66.250.5.253) 3.879 ms 3.803 ms 3.805 ms
5 g9-2.core01.den01.atlas.cogentco.com (66.28.5.21) 3.927 ms 3.829 ms 3.808 ms
6 p4-0.core02.sfo01.atlas.cogentco.com (66.28.4.130) 238.887 ms 205.652 ms 218.214 ms
7 g50.ba01.b003070-1.sfo01.atlas.cogentco.com (66.28.5.182) 28.611 ms 27.725 ms 28.216 ms
8 209.17.64.166 (209.17.64.166) 28.969 ms 29.106 ms 29.114 ms
9 64.237.0.250 (64.237.0.250) 29.632 ms 29.475 ms 29.830 ms
10 mail.914world.com (66.250.97.205) 29.281 ms 29.258 ms 29.638 ms

> ping 914world.com
PING 914world.com (66.250.97.205): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 66.250.97.205: icmp_seq=0 ttl=48 time=29.748 ms
64 bytes from 66.250.97.205: icmp_seq=1 ttl=48 time=29.098 ms
64 bytes from 66.250.97.205: icmp_seq=2 ttl=48 time=29.645 ms
64 bytes from 66.250.97.205: icmp_seq=3 ttl=48 time=29.377 ms
64 bytes from 66.250.97.205: icmp_seq=4 ttl=48 time=29.523 ms
64 bytes from 66.250.97.205: icmp_seq=5 ttl=48 time=29.124 ms
64 bytes from 66.250.97.205: icmp_seq=6 ttl=48 time=29.343 ms
64 bytes from 66.250.97.205: icmp_seq=7 ttl=48 time=29.070 ms
Gint
Deader than a doornail now:

4 guests, 13 members 3 Anonymous Members

Sat Sep 4 00:33:00 PDT 2004

00:33:00 up 8:07, 1 user, load average: 0.21, 0.22, 0.27

2 0 0 99384 4152 4092 189356 3 17 90 143 191 105 32 7 60
0 0 0 99384 4348 4064 188552 0 2 10 116 126 87 1 1 98
0 0 0 99384 4368 4064 188560 0 0 0 15 113 46 0 0 100
0 0 0 99384 4016 4200 188524 0 45 0 242 134 62 65 16 18
0 0 0 99384 4336 4192 188068 0 0 0 37 148 64 10 1 89
0 0 0 99384 4308 4192 187892 1 2 2 15 165 82 7 1 92
0 0 0 99384 4316 4192 188020 0 0 2 38 156 52 0 1 99
1 0 0 99384 4316 4192 188020 0 0 0 10 117 45 1 0 99
0 0 0 99384 4204 4720 188020 0 0 0 184 133 58 62 19 19
1 0 0 99384 4188 4716 188036 0 0 0 19 117 58 4 0 96
0 0 0 99388 4020 4720 187792 0 40 0 71 138 75 15 2 83
0 0 0 99388 4020 4716 187792 0 0 0 25 118 46 0 1 99

/usr/sbin/traceroute www.914world.com
1 access01-fe6-0-18.ftc.frii.net (216.17.222.6) 0.530 ms 0.449 ms 0.415 ms
2 core01-fe6-0-701.ftc.frii.net (216.17.230.17) 1.374 ms 0.557 ms 0.646 ms
3 core01-atm3-0-32.den.frii.net (216.17.230.42) 4.273 ms 3.582 ms 4.074 ms
4 f29.ba01.b006467-1.den01.atlas.cogentco.com (66.250.5.253) 3.668 ms 3.909 ms 3.750 ms
5 g9-2.core01.den01.atlas.cogentco.com (66.28.5.21) 4.034 ms 4.133 ms 4.884 ms
6 p4-0.core02.sfo01.atlas.cogentco.com (66.28.4.130) 27.587 ms 28.403 ms 28.783 ms
7 g50.ba01.b003070-1.sfo01.atlas.cogentco.com (66.28.5.182) 28.071 ms 28.048 ms 27.662 ms
8 209.17.64.166 (209.17.64.166) 29.317 ms 29.904 ms 30.597 ms
9 64.237.0.250 (64.237.0.250) 29.540 ms 29.564 ms 29.594 ms
10 914world.com (66.250.97.205) 29.850 ms 29.430 ms 29.588 ms

> ping www.914world.com
PING www.914world.com (66.250.97.205): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 66.250.97.205: icmp_seq=0 ttl=48 time=29.776 ms
64 bytes from 66.250.97.205: icmp_seq=1 ttl=48 time=29.579 ms
64 bytes from 66.250.97.205: icmp_seq=2 ttl=48 time=29.306 ms
64 bytes from 66.250.97.205: icmp_seq=3 ttl=48 time=30.819 ms
64 bytes from 66.250.97.205: icmp_seq=4 ttl=48 time=29.729 ms
64 bytes from 66.250.97.205: icmp_seq=5 ttl=48 time=29.264 ms
Gint
Really, really, really quiet now.

2 guests, 7 members 1 Anonymous Members

Sat Sep 4 01:32:59 PDT 2004

01:32:59 up 9:07, 1 user, load average: 0.12, 0.15, 0.10

3 0 0 99676 4560 4340 188828 3 15 81 133 183 100 30 7 64
0 0 0 99832 4348 4336 187952 0 39 0 209 136 85 1 1 98
0 0 0 99832 4348 4336 187952 0 0 0 10 129 49 0 0 100
0 0 0 99832 4348 4336 187952 0 0 0 10 128 46 0 0 100
0 0 0 99832 4348 4336 187960 0 0 1 7 131 53 0 0 100
0 0 0 99832 4348 4336 187964 0 0 0 14 129 53 0 0 100
0 0 0 99832 4348 4828 188116 0 0 0 18 122 59 25 6 69
0 0 0 99832 4244 4336 187972 0 0 0 38 128 47 41 10 49
0 0 0 99832 4260 4336 187972 0 0 0 8 120 62 6 1 93
0 0 0 99832 4256 4336 187972 0 0 0 30 110 43 0 0 100
0 0 0 99832 4184 5588 188124 0 0 0 22 114 57 47 11 42
1 0 0 99832 4172 4544 187724 0 1 0 21 134 46 21 3 76

traceroute www.914world.com
1 access01-fe6-0-18.ftc.frii.net (216.17.222.6) 0.404 ms 0.424 ms 0.457 ms
2 core01-fe6-0-701.ftc.frii.net (216.17.230.17) 0.669 ms 0.557 ms 0.587 ms
3 core01-atm3-0-32.den.frii.net (216.17.230.42) 4.226 ms 4.102 ms 3.595 ms
4 f29.ba01.b006467-1.den01.atlas.cogentco.com (66.250.5.253) 4.106 ms 4.489 ms 4.007 ms
5 g9-2.core01.den01.atlas.cogentco.com (66.28.5.21) 4.314 ms 3.762 ms 3.877 ms
6 p4-0.core02.sfo01.atlas.cogentco.com (66.28.4.130) 27.558 ms 58.140 ms 28.216 ms
7 g50.ba01.b003070-1.sfo01.atlas.cogentco.com (66.28.5.182) 27.871 ms 27.773 ms 28.242 ms
8 209.17.64.166 (209.17.64.166) 29.123 ms 29.019 ms 29.554 ms
9 64.237.0.250 (64.237.0.250) 29.880 ms 29.672 ms 30.002 ms
10 www.914world.com (66.250.97.205) 29.429 ms 30.066 ms 29.213 ms
ping -c 7 www.914world.com
64 bytes from 66.250.97.205: icmp_seq=0 ttl=48 time=29.910 ms
64 bytes from 66.250.97.205: icmp_seq=1 ttl=48 time=29.596 ms
64 bytes from 66.250.97.205: icmp_seq=2 ttl=48 time=29.345 ms
64 bytes from 66.250.97.205: icmp_seq=3 ttl=48 time=29.355 ms
64 bytes from 66.250.97.205: icmp_seq=4 ttl=48 time=29.073 ms
64 bytes from 66.250.97.205: icmp_seq=5 ttl=48 time=29.923 ms
64 bytes from 66.250.97.205: icmp_seq=6 ttl=48 time=29.339 ms

--- www.914world.com ping statistics ---
7 packets transmitted, 7 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 29.073/29.506/29.923/0.295 ms
lapuwali
Gint, that lag between hops 7 & 8 on your traceroute is the name lookup for that hop timing out. Use -n to skip the name lookup, and it will sail right past that. The reverse DNS for that 209 hop is having problems. You can't look it up with dig -x, either.
Gint
Gint, that lag between hops 7 & 8 on your traceroute is the name lookup for that hop timing out. Use -n to skip the name lookup, and it will sail right past that.

Thanks James. That makes sense now that I'm awake. Done. With as many as 50 users the box has been running pretty well since last night.

8 guests, 50 members 3 Anonymous Members

Sat Sep 4 11:33:01 PDT 2004

11:33:02 up 19:07, 1 user, load average: 0.57, 1.06, 1.16

1 0 0 91396 36304 34716 136200 2 10 83 113 171 91 24 6 70
0 0 0 91396 30680 36692 139496 0 0 0 320 234 131 66 16 18
1 0 0 91396 28464 34724 142488 0 0 0 307 165 79 81 19 0
0 0 0 91396 27016 34736 143732 1 0 2 79 247 138 19 2 79
0 0 0 91240 35180 32884 138912 0 0 0 30 118 78 17 3 80
0 0 0 91240 37444 35172 134184 0 0 0 246 133 85 82 18 0
1 0 0 91240 33284 32892 139764 6 0 20 638 202 137 80 17 3
0 0 0 91240 32544 33832 140988 0 0 0 76 312 144 46 10 44
0 0 0 91240 27156 37040 143164 0 0 0 575 127 67 78 22 0
1 0 0 91240 25476 34968 146460 0 0 0 454 188 101 78 22 0
1 0 0 91240 19804 34996 152360 0 0 339 263 640 206 78 22 0
2 0 0 91240 11980 41532 154816 0 0 1784 63 377 238 47 10 43

Sat Sep 4 12:33:00 MDT 2004

traceroute -n www.914world.com

1 216.17.222.6 0.628 ms 0.317 ms 0.295 ms
2 216.17.230.17 0.992 ms 1.240 ms 0.597 ms
3 216.17.230.42 3.477 ms 3.725 ms 3.367 ms
4 66.250.5.253 4.413 ms 4.888 ms 4.103 ms
5 66.28.5.21 3.975 ms 3.928 ms 3.727 ms
6 66.28.4.130 27.363 ms 28.616 ms 27.560 ms
7 66.28.5.182 27.969 ms 27.883 ms 27.796 ms
8 209.17.64.166 29.784 ms 29.908 ms 29.729 ms
9 64.237.0.250 29.763 ms 29.637 ms 30.197 ms
10 66.250.97.205 30.435 ms 29.652 ms 29.464 ms

ping -c 7 www.914world.com

64 bytes from 66.250.97.205: icmp_seq=0 ttl=48 time=29.811 ms
64 bytes from 66.250.97.205: icmp_seq=1 ttl=48 time=30.508 ms
64 bytes from 66.250.97.205: icmp_seq=2 ttl=48 time=30.289 ms
64 bytes from 66.250.97.205: icmp_seq=3 ttl=48 time=28.989 ms
64 bytes from 66.250.97.205: icmp_seq=4 ttl=48 time=31.107 ms
64 bytes from 66.250.97.205: icmp_seq=5 ttl=48 time=29.734 ms
64 bytes from 66.250.97.205: icmp_seq=6 ttl=48 time=29.611 ms

--- www.914world.com ping statistics ---
7 packets transmitted, 7 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 28.989/30.007/31.107/0.638 ms
lapuwali
Interesting. Good data. Note that disk I/O (bi bo) is up substantially (over 600 regularly), and the CPU is, indeed, pegged. Not swapping as much as in earlier dumps.

This is probably entirely moot, since Andy is talking about moving the whole thing to a much better box, but...

My guess is the bottleneck is split between the DB server and Apache competing for CPU time, and a small amount of thrashing on RAM. I'd guess now that just adding RAM wouldn't make a huge difference. The disks are starting to get a bit busy. If sticking with the existing machine was a limitation, I'd next investigate the following:

What's the avg. query rate for MySQL (mysqladmin stat; sleep 5; mysqladmin stat. Subtract the two "Questions" numbers, divide by 5, there's your queries per second.)? What percentage of the HTTP queries are image serving (would require a quick Perl script to parse some access logs)? What's the split between MySQL and Apache in CPU usage (top will tell you this)?

After answering these questions, there are various configuration changes that could be made, most of them "free". However, throwing hardware at the problem is easier, and sounds like it's going to happen, anyway. If I had the luxury, what I'd probably do first is move the MySQL DB to a different box, and leave the site where it is.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.