Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT - I wish somebody would do this for our 914s
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
TurbOH Brad
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 28 2011, 02:18 PM) *

Not to mention that the 914 body is the last car in the world that Porsche would ever reproduce. I bet the molds were recycled a day after the last 914 body was made. Thank goodness for the guys at restoration design!

I don't think the presses were ever even in the Porsche factory. Weren't all the bodies in white delivered from Karmann?
mepstein
QUOTE(TurbOH Brad @ Dec 28 2011, 02:32 PM) *

Not to mention that the 914 body is the last car in the world that Porsche would ever reproduce. I bet the molds were recycled a day after the last 914 body was made. Thank goodness for the guys at restoration design!

I don't think the presses were ever even in the Porsche factory. Weren't all the bodies in white delivered from Karmann?

Right and I'm assuming the molds were owned by Porsche. So I guess I mean Porsche will never sub out the remake of the 914 and I doubt they will authorize someone else to do it on their behalf.

Best bet it to get as rust free a car as possible and have one of the great guys on our board set it up for more great years ahead.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 28 2011, 12:10 PM) *

QUOTE(TurbOH Brad @ Dec 28 2011, 02:32 PM) *

Right and I'm assuming the molds were owned by Porsche. So I guess I mean Porsche will never sub out the remake of the 914 and I doubt they will authorize someone else to do it on their behalf.

Best bet it to get as rust free a car as possible and have one of the great guys on our board set it up for more great years ahead.

Anyone have a picture of a replacement 914 body ? or know of one used for repair ? It seems to me that while they were still available none of our cars were worth enough to justify such effort. Maybe in Germany on a new car in that era but certainly not here. Or very, very rarely here.
My brother worked for MB, his whole career in parts distribution.
They threw away Gullwing parts ( doors,bumpers,glass.....) by the dumpster full.
Now they have the Classiche Centers and can provide those parts.
But , those cars sell for $500,000 to 1,000,000
A simple 1932 Ford roadster body in steel, a perfect duplicate of the original is $10,000 +, no old or original tooling. I have one.
A 914 body is like the space shuttle by comparison.
It will never be reproduced. Especially by the company that wasn't too thrilled with the equation in the first go round.
We're on our own to find the good ones and repair the ones we can afford.

Tom_T
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 28 2011, 01:20 AM) *

Well. If our friend says that tooling would be good for 500,000 inpressions. That may be why the factory phased out the 914. That's about the number of total cars produced (if I recall correctly). As for factory reproduction of the tooling to make these, I don't think we will ever see it. Honestly, the best bet is to support our vendors like Design Restoration. They have been making these parts one at a time. It may take awhile, but it is more probable.

Mark - it was only 118,992 total 914 production, per the 914info link here (at top). So even at 500 k stampings (vs. 1+ mm) that leaves another 380k of "life" in them. biggrin.gif

Yes they were at the Karmann plant, and yes the VW-Porsche partnership was bought out in 1974, so Porsche would own all tooling, parts & everything thereafter. I have no idea if they were destroyed or still exist. Porsche still builds P-cars there (again).

As you know Mark, I have been supporting the vendors & members on here! biggrin.gif

BTW all, I got my set of repro early aluminum thresholds & carpet strips from Mark yesterday, and their freaking gorgeous! drooley.gif smilie_pokal.gif wub.gif

So if the other member yello914 has stopped making them, then Mark's your guy!
(mikey914 on here). first.gif
icon_bump.gif ....shameless plug.... icon_bump.gif
Tom_T
Andy, Andy, Andy..... you're calling BS with BS & heresay, which I won't justify with further discussion. dry.gif

As for the others.....FYI -

This below is an excerpt from the March 2010 PCNA Retail Parts List (they were physically cut-n-pasted from the PCNA list), and included in my April 2010 email to the Porsche Dealer Parts Mgr. inquiring about an body-in-white as an option to repairing my own 73 914-2.0. I was directed to him by a PCNA Regional Service Manager whom came out to my place & checked out some things on my 914 with me. The discussion about the last sale of one was over the phone, so no text to convince Andy.

What I found interesting & curious was that there were so many part nos. for "body-in-white", which I presume are for the slightly different bodies from early through late 914s & /4 vs. /6, and which are now NLA in all cases, but I really liked the one listed for $0.03! biggrin.gif

<snipped>
A. Complete New Body Options:

91450100310 BODY IN WHITE 6863.75
91450100311 BODY IN WHITE 7463.21
91450100410 BODY IN WHITE 6121.21
91450100411 BODY IN WHITE 9771.56
91450100412 BODY IN WHITE 8334.91

B. Complete New Body Options:

91450191510 BODY IN WHITE 11005.83
91450191511 BODY IN WHITE 10670.27
91450191610 BODY IN WHITE 10511.18
91450191611 BODY IN WHITE 13482.05

91450177913 BODY IN WHITE 0.03
<end snip>

Since they are NLA - that was why I started this "Gee I wish..." topic when I saw the Mustang body - really not expecting to be slammed by our illustrious 914 gurus pray.gif for some wistful thinking! dry.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
Only been around my 73 914-2.0 for 37 years
///////
SGB
Sometimes it is difficult to tell the diff between a slam and a nudge in text.

BTDT.

It is a fun fantasy, especially the $0.03 one.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 29 2011, 01:22 AM) *
I was directed to him by a PCNA Regional Service Manager whom came out to my place & checked out some things on my 914 with me. The discussion about the last sale of one was over the phone, so no text to convince Andy.

Then order one and let us know what you get. What are you waiting for? $8k is a steal!

Like i said before, they have always listed the 914 body in white. It's been on that list ever since i can remember.
That does not mean they are available. Try to buy one, be my guest.

When i was looking into this 12 years ago, the answer was i got was clear.
Sorry, they are NLA.

stirthepot.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(SGB @ Dec 29 2011, 08:22 AM) *

Sometimes it is difficult to tell the diff between a slam and a nudge in text.

BTDT.

It is a fun fantasy, especially the $0.03 one.

Yeah, the parts mgr. & I had a good laugh on the phone over that one! I told him I'll take a dozen.... biggrin.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 29 2011, 10:37 AM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 29 2011, 01:22 AM) *
I was directed to him by a PCNA Regional Service Manager whom came out to my place & checked out some things on my 914 with me. The discussion about the last sale of one was over the phone, so no text to convince Andy.

Then order one and let us know what you get. What are you waiting for? $8k is a steal!

Like i said before, they have always listed the 914 body in white. It's been on that list ever since i can remember.
That does not mean they are available. Try to buy one, be my guest.

When i was looking into this 12 years ago, the answer was i got was clear.
Sorry, they are NLA.

stirthepot.gif

Let's see - taking this one by one...

I already stated that - yes $8k was a good deal, & that I tried to order one in April 2010 - issue closed!

.... and I already stated several times that as of last Spring 2010 I found that they were NLA. Subject finished!

Perhaps the guy you had check 12 years ago was either too lazy to look beyond CA, USA or PCNA stocked distribution centers; or maybe he couldn't check worldwide or PCNA due to data base access limitations in `98-00 "...when you first got into 914s"?

...or maybe the PCNA/Porsche database last April 2010 was in error when the parts manager looked up the last body-in-white sale from `08?

.... either way, they're NLA now and a moot point!

So just let it rest bud! smile.gif

.... that is, unless someone has an unused NOS one squirreled away & forgotten in a body shop, parts house, warehouse, garage, barn or shed somewhere that isn't in anyone's "system"! unsure.gif happy11.gif

PS - if they were indeed NLA 12 years ago or more, then I don't have to have that: "Dang - just missed it!" feeling of the last one sold just the year before I dug my 914 out of the garage in `09 to start working on it! laugh.gif
JmuRiz
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Dec 22 2011, 10:55 AM) *

QUOTE(scotty b @ Dec 21 2011, 11:00 PM) *

If there were the demand , you would see 356 and 911 bodies being stamped new right now.

I know a guy who has a complete 911 long hood in this ball park. It's not quite rust free though...

Must be talking about your 911 huh? I'll trade you my Benz straight up for it biggrin.gif

I think replacement panels are good enough on unibody cars...drop-on bodies for american body-on-frame cars make more sense.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.